The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 6th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Also, What the hell is this video you keep threatening me with!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I think whatever it is, it probably involves you rubbing your peener on something.
Old 6th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
I think whatever it is, it probably involves you rubbing your peener on something.
Don Solaris is known as an analog synth guru.
Slaughtrhaus is known for being a hippie pothead.
Cane Creek is known for being a DIY master.
Just Jools is the newb that we all love to bits.
...and I'm the guy that rubs his weiner on everything.

Old 6th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
On the flip side, I started with a DX11 ... essentially the same voice architecture as the Akemie's. Having knobs instead of a small LCD makes it a lot easier to understand what the hell is going on. You can get some great electric piano, bell, brass, and bass sounds out of a 4 OP FM synth.

Those demo's we're a bit of a worst case scenario; most of those voices sound like they're using the 2 OP mode of the chip. That said, FM is an acquired taste with all the different OSC options we have now days.
I thought they were kind of a best-case thing...

Seriously, I'd love it if the chip in Akemie's Castle could be used polyphonically in the same way that the Soundblaster was. There were some really good compositions made with that sucker. Akemie's Castle is kind of simplified compared to what that chip is capable of. It's an advanced chip compared to the one in the Sega Genesis (full disclosure, when I bought the Castle, I thought it did have the same chip, and that's what I was going for), and that thing was FULL of memorable tunes:

I like all the whackadoodle stuff you can do with the Castle, but its natural state is kind of angry and abrasive, that's why I'm afraid it isn't going to work out well for my bro, you know bro?
Old 6th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol, do you think you can handle the Akemie's? It's kind of a challenging module to use if you're not familiar with how FM synthesis works. Also, it gets kinda angry, so I don't know if that will fit your whole musical motif, mang.

Dems is fightin' werds hombre!!!

"You want an Akemies'- You CAIN"T handle the Akemie's!!!"

I want FM basses god-dammit!

Actually Mylar Melodies vid sold me on it-
Front 242 and NitzerEbb basslines here I come!

Old 6th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post

Quote:

Did you do a huge overhaul to your Euro? I'm looking at your MG account and this ain't the system I'm used to looking at at all. You ain't going hard on me, are you?
Old 6th February 2017
Lives for gear

...that sounded really dirty.
Old 6th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

"You want an Akemies'- You CAIN"T handle the Akemie's!!!"

Actually Mylar Melodies vid sold me on it-

If I remember correctly, early Nitzer Ebb was mainly SH-101. Once they started making some money, they bought a Roland System 700. I did a show with them back in the early-90's, pretty nice guys.
Old 7th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
If I remember correctly, early Nitzer Ebb was mainly SH-101. Once they started making some money, they bought a Roland System 700. I did a show with them back in the early-90's, pretty nice guys.
Man I love this track and these sounds:

Shame
Old 7th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
...that sounded really dirty.
Just don't rub your peener on me... Eeeeeew!
And yes it is growing!
Old 7th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
And yes it is growing!
Context, man! That definitely needed some context! I'm looking down at my pants wondering how the hell you knew that.
Old 7th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Anyone ever tried patching blind?
Dude, you guys have to try this! This is really freakin' wicked!

The attached is an STO with shape modulated by Quad LFO, STO goes to Bitrazer running as a digital filter with bitrate down low, filter modulated by CV Trinity, output to Grainshift, then to Pitts Analog Delay, then to Doepfer Phase Shifter modulated by Quad LFO, then to Plague Bearer, then to Flame FX-16 in vibrato mode, and finally to Aeverb.
Attached Files

blind.mp3 (302.0 KB, 848 views)

Last edited by Derp; 7th February 2017 at 09:50 PM..
Old 7th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
All this talk of power make me feel better for splurging on two PSU3's with my new case. It also served as a reminder about the fuses ... I had them in a "junk" bowl and would probably lose them by the time the inevitable happened and I blew one. They're now taped inside my case for if and when that moment comes.
I had a blown fuse inside my brand new Analog systems RS15 case before I even used it so I pulled out the little slider draw and put in the spare and she powered up fine, but I got so paranoid after that I went online and bought a 20 pack of the right type of fuses for this case from R&S electrical for a few bucks, I'm sorted for fuses for a while now I should think..
Old 7th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
And yes it is growing!

Old 7th February 2017
Lives for gear

Haha. I realized after the fact. Putting Derp, peener and growing together is a bad idea...

My eurorack setup is growing! New Divison 6 Sem filter, Mysteron and for non modular : Twisted electrons AY3 chiptune synth.
Old 7th February 2017
Gear Head

Ordered happy nerding 3x MIA today, finally released. A bit unsexy, but very appealing for the price/hp
Old 7th February 2017
Lives for gear

It is done!

Found the CV issue on the A channel. Just had to re-flow an SMD chip on the panel PCB after tracing the routes. Everything working like a champ now!

Unfortunately, digging some more into the fuse issue on one of my power supplies. It turns out the DIY kit #1 actually takes a 2.5A fuse whereas all of the pre-made cases take the 800mA fuses. Odd there would be so much difference, but...guess I have another mouser order to make. :( I can't find any 2.5A slow blow fuses in town...
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-20170206_210325.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-20170206_210241.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-20170206_210259.jpg  
Old 7th February 2017
Gear Guru

There's something very relaxing and almost zen looking about doing DIY module making, I think I will try when I retire from work and am an old man with kids grown up, seems like it would be a great old guy hobby.
Old 7th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
AY3 chiptune synth.
<---This cat is jealous.
Old 7th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
<---This cat is jealous.
Might be up for sale!!! If the price is right!!!
Old 7th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Might be up for sale!!! If the price is right!!!
What, you no likey? Looks fun.
Old 7th February 2017
Lives for gear

I plan for a ladder filter and an analog oscillator.

Oscillator should be analog, without menus and as much controls and signals accessable as possible. I want to have the exercise that was recommended earlier in this thread to use only one osc and see what can be done with it. The Z3000 caught my eye.. however there are tons of oscillators .. so i thought it was good to ask what you guys like.

Ladder filter: I lack this sound at the moment and would like to get it into my rig. There are various options from 100.- (Doepfer) til up to the Macbeth stuff... Are the differences significant? I mean its a simple circuit, right? Whats your guys advice for ladder filters?

thanks for helping =)
Old 7th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post

Oscillator should be analog, without menus and as much controls and signals accessable as possible. I want to have the exercise that was recommended earlier in this thread to use only one osc and see what can be done with it. The Z3000 caught my eye.. however there are tons of oscillators .. so i thought it was good to ask what you guys like.

Ladder filter: I lack this sound at the moment and would like to get it into my rig. There are various options from 100.- (Doepfer) til up to the Macbeth stuff... Are the differences significant? I mean its a simple circuit, right? Whats your guys advice for ladder filters?

thanks for helping =)
Omikron + Rossum Evolution. Add a Manhattan Analog DTM to mix all the Omikron sources and you're set.
Old 7th February 2017
Quote:

thanks for helping =)
Mother-32 ticks both boxes, it's the only analog oscillator in my case, but there are other ways to go of course.

If I wanted another analog oscillator, I'd get the WMD Spectrum Precision Oscillator, just feels right to me. Lots of controls too. Dreadbox Omikron is a pretty big-sounding oscillator and gets a lot of love here. I also like the vibe of the Z3000 too. Pretty sure you could go with any number of analog oscillators in Euro and be pretty satisfied, digital oscillators is where things get a little dicey.

For filters There's of course the Mother, which is as "ladder" as it gets IMO. There's also stuff from Studio Electronics, Synthesis Technology, Modcan, everyone makes a ladder filter these days. I'd say it's pretty subjective though, and ultimately good video demos (subscribe to DivKid if you haven't already) help me make a lot of my decisions with regard to filters.
Old 7th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

thanks for helping =)
What's your end goal for the system? If you're planning on just sticking to analog and traditional designs, you might be better served with an MU format modular.
Old 7th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

thanks for helping =)
I doubt you'll find an analogue VCO with more controls and signal inputs and outputs than the Rubicon. Lin FM, Exp FM, TZ FM, CV over symmetry, TZFM, PWM, hard and soft sync, on board attenuators at CV inputs, lots of simultaneous waveforms (the sigmoid is sick)...

If I were really insistent on a sawtooth core I'd probably go for the Spectrum, a highly featured VCO and people seem to rave about the sound/tracking. Good feature set but definitely no Rubicon. And since Rubicon has no problem doing the hard sync thing I can't think of any specific reason to prefer saw core.

Ladder filter wise there are a lot of different ways to go. For one thing not all Moog ladders are the same. At some point they 'fixed' what they perceived as bugs in the resonance and drive sections of the Mini filter (not sure if that was pre or post Source for either) and there hasn't been a certifiable 'all-time classic Moog' model since...but there are even fairly substantial differences between the older filters too. I could be wrong but I don't think the 904 had the ridiculous overdrive that the Model D has, for example.

Personally I wanted two, one that was pretty close to a 904A and one that was pretty close to the Model D. So I went with the Aion and the AJH, both of which I can recommend heartily. Definitely different sounds (as there are between a Moog modular and a Mini); the AJH is much more featured with three signal inputs/an on board 3 channel mixer, CV over resonance, the three tracking CV inputs (V/oct, V/2oct, V/3oct) and another CV input with attenuator. Whereas the Aion just has three CV inputs period. The 904 also has the range selector (I find it mostly annoying although not terribly so but had they left it off, as some 904 designs have done, people would complain that it was a ****ty clone). I also prefer the sound of the AJH to the Aion but that's purely subjective, many who have watched my old bass demo filter videos preferred the Aion. There are other 904 and Model D designs (DIY); if that piques your interest there's a Yusynth designed Model D filter that seemed to be pretty popular; but post-AJH I can't think of any reason not to just get the Minimod, it's really good.

I'm not sure which Macbeth you're referring to; if you mean the backend filter 1) I'm not sure which vintage that represents (the Micromac was apparently based on the Source; not sure if the rest of the X-series follows suit) 2) it's very expensive because it also has envelope generators and VCAs in addition to just being a Macbeth in the first place. It's probably very nice but 3) you'll have a pretty hard time finding one, there weren't many produced and they've been sold out for a while (I've seen one or two moving across the BST though).
Old 7th February 2017
Lives for gear

I guess I'm the only one who really likes the Rossum Evolution. Here's a video comparing it to the filter on the newer Moog variants.

Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

Great advice there gents. Muchos gracias

Gonna check everything out thats prebuild. I am bad at matching transistors

Quote:
What's your end goal for the system? If you're planning on just sticking to analog and traditional designs, you might be better served with an MU format modular.
Before i started i considered to DIY an Oakley system, and might do in the future.

For the moment my goal is to grow slowly into Eurorack, building upon my Oberheim Two Voice, Dominion and Pro2 to keep costs in check at the beginning.

Here is what i already have.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/401392
Old 8th February 2017
Quote:
I guess I'm the only one who really likes the Rossum Evolution. Here's a video comparing it to the filter on the newer Moog variants.

Sounds fantastic actually. Never heard it before this. I have this idea that someday I am going to get 2 more mothers and take it out of my case. At that point I'll need a filter to replace it and I really like this one.
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess I'm the only one who really likes the Rossum Evolution.
Not the only one. It's one of my favorite filters!
Old 8th February 2017
What's the word on this bad boy? Looks pretty sweet...

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search