The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
That's brilliant. Thanks very much for having a look at this. I wonder if I could do this then using the Omikron and a sine wave from Braids. And I'd have to set the octaves on Omikron by midi. The SP does has some of that growl but I couldn't get the modulation right. I'll have a go. I was looking at the MFB tri oscillator before I got the Omikron but figured dual was enough with all the waves. But really quite interested in the AJH at the moment.
I think you might be able to get close that way. I thought Omikron had a wide enough tuning range to accomodate octaves, though? But yeah, Oscillator A as the base oscillator, Oscillator B as the silent higher pitch FM modulator, use the suboscillator from the Omikron, sync them all together, fire off Oscillator B to a VCA, modulate that VCA with an envelope, feed it back into Oscillator A, should be good to go.

Quote:
Do you like the Kraftzwerg oscillators? I am quite tempted to get the Tri Oscillator.
To be completely honest, if I had to choose my least favorite oscillator in my rack, it'd be the oscillators on the Kraftzwerg (the triple VCO.) I love the features on it, I really do, but the oscillators themselves sound almost kinda fuzzy. Most MFB stuff is handy because it's cheap and/or feature-rich, not because it sounds good. That's not to say that I hate everything MFB does, though. Those LFO's on the Kraftzwerg are some of my favorite just because they have built-in cross-modulation. Weird how that's not a common feature in LFO's lately. To totally contradict myself, I do enjoy the OSC-01 (Triple DCO). It definitely crosses into Roland DCO territory and has moments that remind me of the Alpha Juno and the JX8P. Works great with Cinnamon!
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was just thinking, looking at the Voyager, and being interested in the Mother 32, that with some expansion: a couple more oscillators, envelopes and modulation you might get to something close to one, No? and more capable modulation wise.
There's a plethora of modules out there that use Moog designs, so I'd imagine it can't be hard. That's one reason it's hard to let go of the Dot Com system is that it's a Moog modular clone that's a hell of a lot cheaper than owning a real Moog.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I really like the looks of the ADDAC sampling module,
Me, too.

Quote:
this would be one of my top choices but I am almost scared to buy an ADDAC module. They are very high end in price and seemingly function as well, but I never ever see them in any of your racks and never hear much about them either. So either they are terrible for the money or they are awesome and addictive and when you buy one you fall in a hole? Anyone got ANYTHING at all by ADDAC, maybe even the sampler module?
The biggest turnoff for me when it comes to ADDAC is the price. The 111 is $750. $750 for a module that can only play one audio file at a time, offers only playback, and has only basic looping features that can be surpassed on the Grandpa (which is duophonic and a third of the cost, btw) is insane. $750 isn't far off from the ER-301, which is capable of things that even the designer hasn't thought up yet. When I first got heavy into modular and dreamed up my control skiff, I was bonering hard for a pair of those Nchunk controller modules. Then reality set in: $700 just to plug in a couple Nintendo controllers is nuts. That's why I think we don't see much ADDAC out in the wild.

Quote:
On a side note, I just can't even consider Bastl modules or take it seriously as a company. The wood is just too...stupid? Sorry I don't think anyone is stupid for buying them I just think it's a horrible idea. Wood stains and breaks and in this context is fugly to me. Maybe if Grayscale bought Bastl...
So you got into modular synthesis because it looks cool? Good to know, man. I think looks as a reason to not buy a module is just silly. If it has good functionality, then it doesn't matter if it's made of wood, porcelain, mirrors, or vinyl (all of which I have modules with panels made of this.) Hell, I think Grayscale is the ugliest thing to happen to Eurorack, but I still bought an Elements with a Grayscale panel because I wanted a portion of my system to sound like a hippie's butthole.

If the wood panels really bug you that much, here's your solution: Magpie Modular Bastl Panels because modular enthusiasts are a bunch of whiny bitches.

Quote:
I'll have another look at phonogene though, I wrote it off a long time ago for some reason I can't remember now...
For me, the original put-off was cost. Phonogene was expensive for a device that is imprecise by design. But now that everyone on Muff's is purging them in preparation for Morphagene, I plan to have one eventually.

EDIT: Also, if you want to just get your toes wet with modular sampling, there is this:

It's cheap and it's super simple, but you've just gotta keep in mind that with this, the UL1 was designed to be lofi and imprecise by design. The tuning input isn't 1v/oct, recording doesn't actually kick in until a few ms after you've hit the button, and everything going into it sounds like a kid's digital recorder with direct I/O, but it's still a blast to send percussive noises into, modulate the tuning, and then filter the results. The results when you **** with the pitch are golden. Also works great with drones.

Last edited by Derp; 4th February 2017 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: Because I wanted to.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
There's a plethora of modules out there that use Moog designs, so I'd imagine it can't be hard. That's one reason it's hard to let go of the Dot Com system is that it's a Moog modular clone that's a hell of a lot cheaper than owning a real Moog.
I was really wanting to know what people are doing with their MM's and good complementary Moog like oscillators to expand it. AJH and the Addac 701 which I don't even know if it's still in production and expensive, is all I found.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
<<Note about sequencers: Long term I will get a base case and fill it with sequencers and controllers but for now I am mostly avoiding those. I've been avoiding sequencers because I am very comfortable with the Octatrack and it was a good bit of work getting that way- euro sequencers look HARD to me, fiddly and menu-divey and learney. Unless that's just stupid.Maybe if any of you know the OT and Euro sequencers you could compare and contrast for me.>>
Now that I'm not chained to a phone, I can respond to all this better. I think euro sequencers are a great idea, especially for the more basic analog ones. Something like an Oberkorn or Orbitals will get you much different results than you get from more standard sequencers. Even if you don't use them for note sequencing though, there's a couple cool tricks you can do with them. First and most obvious, they're fun to clock to your master clock and modulate everything but pitch. They're great for modulation depths, filter cutoffs, effect settings, just all kinds of stuff. Second, if you clock an analog sequencer to an audio-rate oscillator (preferably somewhere bordering supersonic rates), you can use them as harmonic oscillators.

Just for you, honey butt:

Stillson Hammer mkII sends CV signals to a Make Noise STO, which in turn is clocking the Analogue Solutions Oberkorn at audio rates. From there, I'm just changing the value of different steps. I made sure to show that some basic waveshapes can be made in this video. There's a square wave I morphed into a PWM pulse by bringing harmonics in and out and there's a point where there's a double saw wave that was built (each saw was 8-steps, so essentially a series of saws played an octave up.) I also demonstrated how by having alternating steps that are minimized and maximized, you can create some square wave octave effects. And of course, I went out of my way to make unusual waveshapes just to show that a sixteen step sequencer can do all kinds of madness.

Quote:
Short list of interesting stuff:
Freak (almost bought today)
Soulsby Oscitron
SMR
4ms cv matrix
Erogenous tones VC8
PEG
Chord (too bad it doesn't have CV outs for those intervals)
Funny how your list and my list are parallel in some ways. Freak and Oscitron are both on my list. SMR I think you would get a kick out of because you'd expressed interest in weird filters in the past (Grendel Formant Filter comes to mind) and that's what it really is at its core is a series of bandpass filters being modulated in unusual ways. Even if you don't use it as a filter, I know you're attracted to pretty sounds and pinging this thing can get you some very atmospheric timbres.

PEG you may like, but you may not. It's a lot like Maths, but kind of the opposite at the same time. To get the most out of it, you need to feed it a lot of CV, but it spits out some very fun modulations.
Old 4th February 2017
So just Friends and SMR are kinda winning right now. I hadn't checked out JF yet, it's really impressive. SMR is part of the plan for sure and might be my first choice, but either of these make my next purchase a VC8 if I can find one or Veils at the very least...

Can those outputs on JF be trigs for dums?

Does anyone have the 4ms CV matrix and like it?

I need one more choice in the $250-300 range in case I decide to buy Veils at the same time, need those VCA's badly. Also, I am taking Chord off the list for the same reason another user listed about it being too samey all the time. I do like the sound but I think I was just bandwagoning along with everyone else and not necessarily thinking for myself on that one.

On Bastl-
Nothing to do with looks at all. I just don't think wood is a good choice for eurorack faceplates with regard to durability and quality. Plus the idea of a thicker panel (based on the assumption that the wood has to be thicker than a metal panel) does not appeal to me either in that it would take different screws than the ones I own and I already went down that road with my Turing Machine. Probably half the motivation to buy the 40 dollar Magpie panel for it was to get rid of the mismatched screws, and then the modules promptly stopped working once all 4 of them were mounted up together. I said never again to DIY and alternative panels in that moment. If I can't buy it fully assembled with a metal faceplate and a power cord, I don't want it, period (yeah yeah I'm old, now get off my lawn). To be perfectly honest I don't dig the Bastl aesthetic much either but if the panels were metal but painted to look like wood this wouldn't be an issue at all. Call me OCD, manic, or just plain whacked out of my gourd but not shallow, please.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So just Friends and SMR are kinda winning right now. I hadn't checked out JF yet, it's really impressive. SMR is part of the plan for sure and might be my first choice, but either of these make my next purchase a VC8 if I can find one or Veils at the very least...

It probably depends on the drum and what kind of signal it expects but I can confirm they do for the tiptops and dicky's.

<edit for Frued dinky's >
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not a JF owner, but yeah, any envelope can be turned into a trigger so long as the attack and decay are short enough.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Kicking myself for forgetting to include the slide control as part of the demo. Basically acts like the smoothness control on Tides where the more slide there is from step to step, the smoother the transition is so that it becomes like a filter.

Also, am I crazy for wishing somebody would come out with a sixteen step sequencer with CV control over each step? I've got a saw wave running on my Oberkorn right now and turning the middle harmonic is giving me a PWM saw sound similar to an AX60.
Old 5th February 2017
Quote:
Also, am I crazy for wishing somebody would come out with a sixteen step sequencer with CV control over each step? I've got a saw wave running on my Oberkorn right now and turning the middle harmonic is giving me a PWM saw sound similar to an AX60.
Nope not crazy, I've been kinda wondering why I can't turn the knobs on my Pitt seq MKI with voltage lately, seems kinda, I don't know- boring that you can't? I've been looking at sequencers a lot lately and haven't noticed any that actually do this. Is there nothing? Was a module just invented?
Old 5th February 2017
Lives for gear

Going back to your initial question Slaughter, I'd get the expander for your Quadra, regardless of getting another EG. there's lot of fun to be had with that thing.
Old 5th February 2017
Lives for gear

To raise @CANecreek, here's a dual, matched transistor (allows for current to be split into two different paths, or for two different paths to be combined into one, depending on the direction) for the Random Source Dual Wasp. That's your standard Davies knob behind it and some tweezers I use for SMD. It goes in section with the 6 tiny silver "bars" in the middle of the other picture.

There are a lot of optional mods on this, and I didn't realize I had the SMD part as opposed to the through hole parts, so I'd already soldered all the resistors, caps and diodes.

This one's going to be a tight squeeze...

And it's really hard not to be playing with the new Basimilus Iteritas Alter and WMD MM VCA that arrived today!
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-20170204_201818.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-20170204_201755.jpg  
Old 5th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was really wanting to know what people are doing with their MM's and good complementary Moog like oscillators to expand it. AJH and the Addac 701 which I don't even know if it's still in production and expensive, is all I found.
Aion makes one, a 921 I believe.

ETA
AION921 VCO
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-img_0241.jpg  
Old 5th February 2017
Gear Guru

anyone got any discount codes for modular retailers..? analog haven, detroit modular etc etc..??
Old 5th February 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
anyone got any discount codes for modular retailers..? analog haven, detroit modular etc etc..??
don't know of any right now. Perfect Circuit and Detroit will probably have a 10% off for the upcoming US President's day holiday (Feb 20).. I've never known analog haven to have one except for Black Friday/Xmas, they're shipping charges are extreme as well so I never bother with them..
Old 5th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
To raise @CANecreek, here's a dual, matched transistor (allows for current to be split into two different paths, or for two different paths to be combined into one, depending on the direction) for the Random Source Dual Wasp. That's your standard Davies knob behind it and some tweezers I use for SMD. It goes in section with the 6 tiny silver "bars" in the middle of the other picture.

There are a lot of optional mods on this, and I didn't realize I had the SMD part as opposed to the through hole parts, so I'd already soldered all the resistors, caps and diodes.

This one's going to be a tight squeeze...

And it's really hard not to be playing with the new Basimilus Iteritas Alter and WMD MM VCA that arrived today!
Easy, cover the PCB area in flux and make sure your tip has a tiny bit of solder on it, then move the component inplace with the tweezers and hold it there, with your other hand touch the three legs with your iron and hold it there and by magic the 3 legs will solder inplace. Now inspect with loupe and do the same for the other 3 legs
Old 5th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubnspace View Post
don't know of any right now. Perfect Circuit and Detroit will probably have a 10% off for the upcoming US President's day holiday (Feb 20).. I've never known analog haven to have one except for Black Friday/Xmas, they're shipping charges are extreme as well so I never bother with them..
Unique Squared has some stuff (mutable, pittsburgh, blue lantern, roland.. not sure what else).. if you chat with a rep on their site (ask some questions), they'll shoot you a 15% off code for feedback.
Old 5th February 2017
Gear Maniac

as far as samplers are concerned, the er-301 is easily worth the price tag. it is enormously flexible. widest range of sounds I've ever heard in a module, and the interface is remarkably intuitive using new approaches that the manufacturer has researched. it's a real pleasure to use. the sound quality is far better than any sampler I've ever heard.
I've started sequencing it with the beatstep pro, which control it through the audio damage seq1 and the machinedrum using yarns. killer combo!
Old 5th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Easy, cover the PCB area in flux and make sure your tip has a tiny bit of solder on it, then move the component inplace with the tweezers and hold it there, with your other hand touch the three legs with your iron and hold it there and by magic the 3 legs will solder inplace. Now inspect with loupe and do the same for the other 3 legs
Yeah, that's what I wound up doing. Drag soldering it and using a bit smaller tip. Worked great. Unfortunately, even with my highest magnifying tools I couldn't see anything to indicate the 1 pin and wound up guessing. Hopefully it doesn't blow when I plug it in. :(
Old 5th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I wound up doing. Drag soldering it and using a bit smaller tip. Worked great. Unfortunately, even with my highest magnifying tools I couldn't see anything to indicate the 1 pin and wound up guessing. Hopefully it doesn't blow when I plug it in. :(
Do you not have a loupe ?
Old 5th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
To raise @CANecreek, here's a dual, matched transistor (allows for current to be split into two different paths, or for two different paths to be combined into one, depending on the direction) for the Random Source Dual Wasp.
I seen the price of the Dual Wasp kits over at thonk yesterday and almost fainted.
Old 5th February 2017
Lives for gear

I am quite interested in trying my hand at a DIY module. I did electronics at school and also studied a term on an engineering course. So I can basically solder and have many memories of burning myself and the disappointing feeling of wasting time constructing circuits that didn't work. So I'd like to try and get over this teenage trauma and try a simple circuit to see if it could be successful. Are their any simple circuits you might recommend that I could try?
Old 5th February 2017
Someone dare me to go buy an SMR today...
Old 5th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you not have a loupe ?
Yeah, I have one on my visor magnifier, as well as a magnifying glass with a tiny, crazy multiple magnification window. My eyes are just getting more and more shot the older I get. :( Think I see it now and it's indeed reversed. :(

BTW, that component tester you recommended is really cool! I finally used it on the caps. I find it's easier just to use a MM for resistors, but caps I had just kind of skipped over testing in the past.

Quote:
I seen the price of the Dual Wasp kits over at thonk yesterday and almost fainted.
The kits are really expensive. I wonder if they're supplying all of the "upgraded" components in those kits? I think I paid somewhere around $85 for boards and panel. (but also had a 10% off coupon) Not sure how much the components cost as I did a multiple kit purchase.

Quote:
Someone dare me to go buy an SMR today...
Done. I dare you to go buy an SMR today! (although I have a feeling you already did )
Old 5th February 2017
Quote:
Done. I dare you to go buy an SMR today! (although I have a feeling you already did )
Well, I didn't yet, but I am gonna. Control Voltage doesn't open until 11 but I will be there waiting for the door to open.

Old 5th February 2017
I guess I shouldn't have hurried. As soon as I plugged in the SMR, my WMD Performance mixer took a crap. and now my Octocontroller isn't lighting up either...bad moon rising...
Old 5th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
All you really need is a self resonating filter that's pingable, an LPG and some noise modules and you can get some great percussion sounds. There's also the Audio Damage Neutron and Basimilus Iteritas/Basimilus Iteritas Alter that can give a number of percussive sounds.

But as recommended, if I were starting I'd leave those for later and just use "standard" modules for percussive sounds.
That sounds like a good starting point! The problem is that they are so many possibilities to achieve the goal you have with modular synthesis.

So you say I would need a

Resonating filter
LPG
Noise sources
Modulation? (EG/LFO)
Utilities

What else?

(Edit: What do you think about it?)

Last edited by joostoftoday; 5th February 2017 at 10:59 PM..
Old 5th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess I shouldn't have hurried. As soon as I plugged in the SMR, my WMD Performance mixer took a crap. and now my Octocontroller isn't lighting up either...bad moon rising...
Hope you get them working ok
Old 6th February 2017
Quote:
Hope you get them working ok
Thanks. It's definitely the power supply. I changed some stuff around to check it. the whole right side does not work. What's weird is the right side has way less stuff plugged in and by far less current draw, wouldn't the heavier side blow first? You think it's a coincidence or a cause that I plugged in the SMR and stuff went berserk? Either way it looks like my case needs a trip in to the tech's place, I'll have him supercharge it if such a thing can be done...
Old 6th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks. It's definitely the power supply. I changed some stuff around to check it. the whole right side does not work. What's weird is the right side has way less stuff plugged in and by far less current draw, wouldn't the heavier side blow first? You think it's a coincidence or a cause that I plugged in the SMR and stuff went berserk? Either way it looks like my case needs a trip in to the tech's place, I'll have him supercharge it if such a thing can be done...
So have you just blew a fuse ?, I've blew a few fuses in my Doepfer cases.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search