The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Here's some "mainstream", modular music for you ...

Probably the first thing from them in years that I like, though that time signature shift bug me a bit .
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
You mean the sound of the Mother-32 vs the Slim Phatty? Well, the simplest and most direct way I can put this is The Slim Phatty sounds and acts like a new Moog and the Mother-32 sounds and acts like an old Moog, making them similar enough in raw tone but very different in features and usage and therefore completely different sounding in the end. I used to own a few vintage Moogs, including a '74 Minimoog. I compared all of them, and the raw oscillator in the Mother was micro close, closer to the Mini than any other Moog I have heard. Just thinking about it makes me want to get 2 more Mothers and rack them together to make huge sounding monosynth.

I think you're completely right. In this demo it sounds like John Carpenter - he used a Moog Modular in the 70's. For what you get osc, envelope, sequencer, great filter etc. that you can use with other modular gear and great vintage Moog sound it's really worth it.

Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Maniac

One day I'll get 2 mothers to sit next to my sub 37. The tone really is phenomenal. I've been considering selling the synth I said I'd never sell. The sub37 is a beautiful instrument, but I just don't play it much since going modular.
Old 4th February 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraku View Post
Here are more audio examples. I added the same video also to the initial post about Freak:

I really, really like what I hear! Since I'm trying to build a "hardware vst" the digital sound is kind of something I want represented as well in my rack, and this seems to cover most of the bases in what I'm looking for
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
It's a euro Casio CZ-101.
Ha.

That detuned organ is classic; it's the whole reason I owned a CZ-101 for years.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

I wanted to ask how can you get this growl sound. It's actually done with the Moog Voyager. I tried with the Slim Phatty but couldn't get very close. Is this just the sound of the Voyager oscillator or can you do that with other oscillators? Can you do this with the Mother 32 for instance. Or is it the ladder filter?

Old 4th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
OMFG! This thing is amazing! I could just let it sits doing it's thing on Chord all day. I'm going to need some more LFO's.
seriously dude shut the hell up you are not helping my gas for that module at all...!!!
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
seriously dude shut the hell up you are not helping my gas for that module at all...!!!
Well, getting you guys back for Chord.

BTW, got another shipment today letting me fill my last 4hp ... A Doepfer A-150, the thing I was asking about earlier. It function exactly as I thought, a dual Branches type module if you throw a S/H in it. You can control "probability" be sending the S/H into an offset. There's a ton of other things I can probably do with it. A fun $75, if even just for a random switch.
Old 4th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Based on your video using Chord mode on the Alpha Juno and your Deep House stuff, I'd recommend a Qu-bit Chord. It does a lot of that transposed chords thing so that you wind up with a lot of non-scale/blue/color notes. I think it might fit in quite well with what you're looking to do.
To be honest I'm not sure what road I want to take to start. On one hand the Chord looks awesome, loving so far all videos I saw with it.
On the other hand I would love to have a kind of percussion-rack.
The new Intellijel Plonk and the ALM Dinkys Taiko looking exactly what I want to have. A good example would be this video:

Quote:
not sure why you would choose a wogglebug if doing deep house etc, it's good at generating random CV for fart noises and wacky percussion imo. If you want suggestions for deep house etc choose some oscillators that are thick n rich sounding like the AJH and Blue Lantern or Omnikron vco's couple with a nice juicy filter like the Roland 521 or Polaris.
Thanks for the Info, I'll check out the modules.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joostoftoday View Post
To be honest I'm not sure what road I want to take to start. On one hand the Chord looks awesome, loving so far all videos I saw with it.
The new Intellijel Plonk and the ALM Dinkys Taiko looking exactly what I want to have. A good example would be this video:

Thanks for the Info, I'll check out the modules.
That's an Akemie's Castle, an FM synth there. IMHO, and I'm ducking now, but I think drums in euro are a bit of a waste, especially if you're just starting. You could get a DrumBrute for the cost of a couple of drum modules and it'll sync easily with your modular rig.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I wanted to ask how can you get this growl sound. It's actually done with the Moog Voyager. I tried with the Slim Phatty but couldn't get very close. Is this just the sound of the Voyager oscillator or can you do that with other oscillators? Can you do this with the Mother 32 for instance. Or is it the ladder filter?

This isn't perfect, but I think I got close. (I'm really hoping that by 'growl', you meant the bass.) I don't have any Mogue at all right now and didn't feel like messing with the Dot Com just this instant, so the character is going to be much different on on the Mogues.

A Slim Phatty may not be able to pull this off because it needs either three oscillators, or two oscillators and a sub-oscillator to make this happen. Additionally, a third envelope is needed to do it the way I did. For this clip, I used a Kraftzwerg, Deopfer A-143-1, and a Malekko VCA. The Kraftzwerg was chosen because it's got a fixed-architecture inside of it, and is the Mogueliest thing I have in Euro. They're all wired up as follows:

Kraftzwerg has three oscillators on it, all set to saw. One oscillator acts as the master oscillator and is the lowest pitch one (like a suboscillator). The other two oscillators are synced to this one (not so much to create sync effects, but to keep them locked in tune.) A second oscillator is set an octave higher than the master oscillator (this is where the main frequencies are coming from). The third is two octaves higher. When they go to the mixer (pre-filter,) the oscillator that's the lowest pitch one (the master) and the one that's one octave up from that are maxed out. The highest pitch one isn't sent to the mixer, though.

That highest pitch oscillator is instead sent to the Malekko VCA. This is then modulated with one of the envelopes from the A-143-1 set to fast attack and a pretty clicky decay. The output of this VCA is then fed back into the Kraftzwerg at oscillator that's an octave up from the master's FM input. CV level on the VCA is set pretty low. The attack portion of that bass has just a pinch of FM in there, and that's what this subchain is designed to do is bring in that FM.

So to summarize so far, two oscillators to the mixer, one to a VCA controlled by an envelope, and then back into first oscillator, with all of these oscillators synced.

The mixer is then fed into the filter. Resonance is kept minimized. Cutoff is around 12:00. Cutoff is modulated by an envelope with fast attack, and a fast decay, though not quite as fast as the FM oscillator's decay. One thing to note, and I think this is where the bulk of that sound's meatiness is coming from, is that the filter feedback trick is used. It's been a long time since I've had a Slim Phatty, but I think it has the feedback trick built into the filter section. If not, just route one of the outputs back into the mixer or the filter section.

The envelope controlling the VCA has maximum sustain and a good bit of release on it. To keep it moving, I've also added a sinewave LFO to the filter cutoff, but I think in the track, it was modulated either by MIDI or by hand.

Here's a mockup of what it looks like:
Attached Files

Krude Bass.wav (948.2 KB, 532 views)

Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I think you're completely right. In this demo it sounds like John Carpenter - he used a Moog Modular in the 70's. For what you get osc, envelope, sequencer, great filter etc. that you can use with other modular gear and great vintage Moog sound it's really worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteak View Post
One day I'll get 2 mothers to sit next to my sub 37. The tone really is phenomenal. I've been considering selling the synth I said I'd never sell. The sub37 is a beautiful instrument, but I just don't play it much since going modular.
Don't discount some of the Moog emulation stuff in Euro either. Yeah, you won't get all the functionality of a Mother, but for the price of a couple of those oscillators, or an oscillator and a filter, you likely already have a boatload of modulation options and "sequencing" capabilities. AJH makes some great Minimoog emulations and there are a couple other companies that come close as well.

Quote:
Keep in mind to get interesting things from the plog, you'll need a few different trigger sequences, square LFOs, etc. You can get these from one signal into a clock divider or multiplier, but just having one sequence into a logic module isn't going to create a whole lot of interesting patterns.

And the Abstract Data Logic Boss is another option along the lines of the Plog.
Old 4th February 2017
Gear Guru

How cool..

Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's an Akemie's Castle, an FM synth there. IMHO, and I'm ducking now, but I think drums in euro are a bit of a waste, especially if you're just starting. You could get a DrumBrute for the cost of a couple of drum modules and it'll sync easily with your modular rig.
Reluctant to admit it, but gotta agree with Void here. If you're planning on eventually getting a monster system, drums make sense, but for just starting out, not so much. Plus, you can create a lot of drum sounds with ordinary modules. Perfect example is your video there: Akemie's Castle can do a lot of wacky percussive stuff. Richard Devine even posted a vid once where he was making drums with just raw envelope clicks.

Though if you are going to get a drum module anyway...

This is my little badass right here. Weird comparison I know, but it's like an analog version of an ER-1 with a couple features that take it beyond an ER-1. The kicks can go from 909 punch to 808 thump, it can do good hats, it can get some good noise snares, and it can do some absolutely bat**** percussive noises.
Old 4th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Ye, I know, but it has a kind of percussive vibe to it.
And I don't want to get 808 or 909 modules, I'm totally with you at that point!
I want to synthesize drum sounds!
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't leave well enough alone: I've attached a demo loop I made with the EMW Analog Drum Synth. All sounds came from that module and sampled into an MPC. Only effects added was delay on everything but the kick and clap, and a little reverb on the clap.

And just for laughs, I mixed Just Jools' bass patch with the loop and sidechained it.
Attached Files

EMW Analog Drum Loop.wav (1,018.3 KB, 440 views)

Krude Anal Log.wav (1,018.3 KB, 533 views)

Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
All you really need is a self resonating filter that's pingable, an LPG and some noise modules and you can get some great percussion sounds. There's also the Audio Damage Neutron and Basimilus Iteritas/Basimilus Iteritas Alter that can give a number of percussive sounds.

But as recommended, if I were starting I'd leave those for later and just use "standard" modules for percussive sounds.
Old 4th February 2017
Help please what would you add?

I'm having a serious brain fart/idea meltdown on how to proceed next. I'm completely happy with the stuff that is already here after removing 3 more modules (Akemies Castle, Metasonix Filter, Synthrotek Midi-CV). I have some funds that have been sitting in paypal for weeks. I've frozen up and can't seem to decide what to do...I've got 138 (141 actually) hp hole in my case.
I'm not trying to build a live box anymore but trying to diversify sound sources and keep up on utility along the way. I might pick up a drum sequencer to go along with Grids, other than that I sequence using the Octatrack so not really interested in note sequencers right now.

<<Note about sequencers: Long term I will get a base case and fill it with sequencers and controllers but for now I am mostly avoiding those. I've been avoiding sequencers because I am very comfortable with the Octatrack and it was a good bit of work getting that way- euro sequencers look HARD to me, fiddly and menu-divey and learney. Unless that's just stupid.Maybe if any of you know the OT and Euro sequencers you could compare and contrast for me.>>

Short list of interesting stuff:
Freak (almost bought today)
Soulsby Oscitron
SMR
4ms cv matrix
Erogenous tones VC8
PEG
Chord (too bad it doesn't have CV outs for those intervals)

But there's a lot out there, sell me on something new.

Also, I know I am painfully short on envelopes. I love the Quadra, but I am hesitant to buy another one for fear of them being too...samey? I'd like something with similar capability (4 in one module) but maybe a different "flavor"? I'm up for whatever at this point, just needs to give me that "spark".

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/394426
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Chord (too bad it doesn't have CV outs for those intervals)
That's what a PLL is for. You can also do a lot with Chord and the WMD SSM.

I'd vote for Chord or SMR.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
<<Note about sequencers: Long term I will get a base case and fill it with sequencers and controllers but for now I am mostly avoiding those. I've been avoiding sequencers because I am very comfortable with the Octatrack and it was a good bit of work getting that way- euro sequencers look HARD to me, fiddly and menu-divey and learney. Unless that's just stupid.Maybe if any of you know the OT and Euro sequencers you could compare and contrast for me.>>

Also, I know I am painfully short on envelopes. I love the Quadra, but I am hesitant to buy another one for fear of them being too...samey? I'd like something with similar capability (4 in one module) but maybe a different "flavor"? I'm up for whatever at this point, just needs to give me that "spark".
Stepper Acid is a great sequencer that's NOT hard, fiddley or menu-divey. There's a bit with the detach of a live playing song or pattern, but after using it once or twice you get the hang of it.

And if you're short on envelopes, I'd recommend a Just Friends. 6 envelopes or LFOs and it's also got an audio mode along the lines of Verbos Harmonic Oscillator or one of the functions of the SMR - essentially providing harmonic frequencies based on an input.

Other than that, as recommended, I think Chord and SMR would be a fantastic combination. My only gripe with Chord is the lack of actual oscillator paramater changes. Many of the demos sound pretty similar to me, as does the SMR. But I think together, those would be a bad combination.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Here's a slightly different challenge for the modular folks...

I think Arca's album "Mutant" might be the best album of the decade thus far. It's one of the most experimental pieces of music I've ever heard, but has infinite layers to discover. Very much a "peeling apart an onion" album.

You can hear it here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Ck9JrNLUBS-JKb

My question: What modules would you put into 6U-12U to get into the kind of experimentalism Arca engages in? To note, to my knowledge he primarily uses software (primarily Iris 2)...but given the experimentalist approach to his sound, and the freedom of modular, I'm really interested in what kinds of rigs other modular users would use to put together to make such an album. Feel free to get into other hardware/software/whatever if it is relevant, but within the modular realm would be particularly interesting.
Old 4th February 2017
Gear Guru

that Arca video is not available when I click on the link..?
Old 4th February 2017
Yep, not available here.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
This isn't perfect, but I think I got close. (I'm really hoping that by 'growl', you meant the bass.) I don't have any Mogue at all right now and didn't feel like messing with the Dot Com just this instant, so the character is going to be much different on on the Mogues.

A Slim Phatty may not be able to pull this off because it needs either three oscillators, or two oscillators and a sub-oscillator to make this happen. Additionally, a third envelope is needed to do it the way I did. For this clip, I used a Kraftzwerg, Deopfer A-143-1, and a Malekko VCA. The Kraftzwerg was chosen because it's got a fixed-architecture inside of it, and is the Mogueliest thing I have in Euro. They're all wired up as follows:

Kraftzwerg has three oscillators on it, all set to saw. One oscillator acts as the master oscillator and is the lowest pitch one (like a suboscillator). The other two oscillators are synced to this one (not so much to create sync effects, but to keep them locked in tune.) A second oscillator is set an octave higher than the master oscillator (this is where the main frequencies are coming from). The third is two octaves higher. When they go to the mixer (pre-filter,) the oscillator that's the lowest pitch one (the master) and the one that's one octave up from that are maxed out. The highest pitch one isn't sent to the mixer, though.

That highest pitch oscillator is instead sent to the Malekko VCA. This is then modulated with one of the envelopes from the A-143-1 set to fast attack and a pretty clicky decay. The output of this VCA is then fed back into the Kraftzwerg at oscillator that's an octave up from the master's FM input. CV level on the VCA is set pretty low. The attack portion of that bass has just a pinch of FM in there, and that's what this subchain is designed to do is bring in that FM.

So to summarize so far, two oscillators to the mixer, one to a VCA controlled by an envelope, and then back into first oscillator, with all of these oscillators synced.

The mixer is then fed into the filter. Resonance is kept minimized. Cutoff is around 12:00. Cutoff is modulated by an envelope with fast attack, and a fast decay, though not quite as fast as the FM oscillator's decay. One thing to note, and I think this is where the bulk of that sound's meatiness is coming from, is that the filter feedback trick is used. It's been a long time since I've had a Slim Phatty, but I think it has the feedback trick built into the filter section. If not, just route one of the outputs back into the mixer or the filter section.

The envelope controlling the VCA has maximum sustain and a good bit of release on it. To keep it moving, I've also added a sinewave LFO to the filter cutoff, but I think in the track, it was modulated either by MIDI or by hand.

Here's a mockup of what it looks like:
That's brilliant. Thanks very much for having a look at this. I wonder if I could do this then using the Omikron and a sine wave from Braids. And I'd have to set the octaves on Omikron by midi. The SP does has some of that growl but I couldn't get the modulation right. I'll have a go. I was looking at the MFB tri oscillator before I got the Omikron but figured dual was enough with all the waves. But really quite interested in the AJH at the moment.

Do you like the Kraftzwerg oscillators? I am quite tempted to get the Tri Oscillator.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
that Arca video is not available when I click on the link..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Yep, not available here.
Might be one of those copyright issues on youtube sometimes where the content is only available in certain countries.

Videos show up and play fine for me - at least the first tune.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

I was just thinking, looking at the Voyager, and being interested in the Mother 32, that with some expansion: a couple more oscillators, envelopes and modulation you might get to something close to one, No? and more capable modulation wise. I would be interested to hear how people have integrated their MM's with modular and what oscillators would be complementary.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Sometimes I wonder what I did to get on people's ignore list.

Had a lot of fun wiggling last night with the new Neuron module, Chaos Divider, SCM and Logic Boss. Can come up with some really funky rhythms with just those, and then modulate the Neuron.

I also figured out the Chaos mode on the Chaos Divider. I thought perhaps I'd messed up building it as it was always just all LEDs lighting up on each clock input. Dear me, RTFM...

Here's a modulargrid of the new Mantis case. Primarily sequencing, clock, logic and percussion at the moment. Still have to build the MST modules.

Figured I'd mess with you OCD cats with the one black module in there.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've got 138 (141 actually) hp hole in my case.

But there's a lot out there, sell me on something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
My question: What modules would you put into 6U-12U to get into the kind of experimentalism Arca engages in?
Funny, my answer for both of you guys is going to be nearly the same: Sampling modules.

For Slaughtr, that to me is a missing hole there. I know you can do it with the Octatrack, but there's a lot of sampling modules with character out there, and once you get into wackadoodle CV modulation, you can do a lot that I'd be surprised if Octatrack could do. Plus having samples in a modular environment means you can much more easily rip them apart with other modules. Think about what Maths could do to a sample's start and end points.

For Accent, though they kinda go in different directions, I'm hearing a lot of what Richard Devine does in Arca techniquewise, and that's accomplished with sampling modules.

As far as what modules, to my knowledge there is no perfect sampling module out there. Most of the really zany ones can't sample directly, and most of the ones that can sample don't really have any crazy features to them. I'm still in honeymoon phase with my Nebulae. A prime example of why, I started a track where it's got this crazy lead sound that was generated by Nebulae playing back a sample from a metal shop, but the start and end points were close enough to create a tone, and these points were modulated by an envelope. It granulized this sample, added pitch to it, and just angered it to where it came out of my modular, and killed my family before pillaging the neighboring village.

Bastl Grandpa is another fun one because it does granular effects to a lesser degree, but it can do two samples at once, so it's really awesome for drums.

The other one that comes to mind as a potential box of insanity is the Doepfer's A-118. It's fairly no-frills, but it's one of the most painless samplers I have as far as actual sampling rather than sample playback. I think of it as an S612 in a module because it's there to just grab a sample and start playing immediately. Being 8-bit, it's got a lot of character to it, and it's just wicked for sending stuff through Warps and Clouds.

I don't have either of these, but I want one for their insane sample ****ery as well, but Phonogene (especially since secondhand prices are so low since Morphagene was announced) looks like it can do some crazy stuff with the sample splicing, and ER-301 because just look at it, and Richard Devine replaced a lot of sampling modules in his live rig with one, so it's gotta be ultra powerful.

Also, I like Radio Music for its simplicity and its strange way of handling a bunch of loops running at once.
Old 4th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Funny, my answer for both of you guys is going to be nearly the same: Sampling modules.

For Slaughtr, that to me is a missing hole there. I know you can do it with the Octatrack, but there's a lot of sampling modules with character out there, and once you get into wackadoodle CV modulation, you can do a lot that I'd be surprised if Octatrack could do. Plus having samples in a modular environment means you can much more easily rip them apart with other modules. Think about what Maths could do to a sample's start and end points.

For Accent, though they kinda go in different directions, I'm hearing a lot of what Richard Devine does in Arca techniquewise, and that's accomplished with sampling modules.

As far as what modules, to my knowledge there is no perfect sampling module out there. Most of the really zany ones can't sample directly, and most of the ones that can sample don't really have any crazy features to them. I'm still in honeymoon phase with my Nebulae. A prime example of why, I started a track where it's got this crazy lead sound that was generated by Nebulae playing back a sample from a metal shop, but the start and end points were close enough to create a tone, and these points were modulated by an envelope. It granulized this sample, added pitch to it, and just angered it to where it came out of my modular, and killed my family before pillaging the neighboring village.

Bastl Grandpa is another fun one because it does granular effects to a lesser degree, but it can do two samples at once, so it's really awesome for drums.

The other one that comes to mind as a potential box of insanity is the Doepfer's A-118. It's fairly no-frills, but it's one of the most painless samplers I have as far as actual sampling rather than sample playback. I think of it as an S612 in a module because it's there to just grab a sample and start playing immediately. Being 8-bit, it's got a lot of character to it, and it's just wicked for sending stuff through Warps and Clouds.

I don't have either of these, but I want one for their insane sample ****ery as well, but Phonogene (especially since secondhand prices are so low since Morphagene was announced) looks like it can do some crazy stuff with the sample splicing, and ER-301 because just look at it, and Richard Devine replaced a lot of sampling modules in his live rig with one, so it's gotta be ultra powerful.

Also, I like Radio Music for its simplicity and its strange way of handling a bunch of loops running at once.
Interesting idea. I actually almost never sample anything or use samples. This is my dirty little secret as an Octatrack owner/fanboi. Even before I went OTB I would make all the sounds on subtractor or whatever VST. Synthesizers are already so much to manage and Octatrack sampling makes me refer to the manual almost every time. I think my brain has a limit on how much information I can store and use when it comes to this stuff.

I really like the looks of the ADDAC sampling module,

this would be one of my top choices but I am almost scared to buy an ADDAC module. They are very high end in price and seemingly function as well, but I never ever see them in any of your racks and never hear much about them either. So either they are terrible for the money or they are awesome and addictive and when you buy one you fall in a hole? Anyone got ANYTHING at all by ADDAC, maybe even the sampler module?

On a side note, I just can't even consider Bastl modules or take it seriously as a company. The wood is just too...stupid? Sorry I don't think anyone is stupid for buying them I just think it's a horrible idea. Wood stains and breaks and in this context is fugly to me. Maybe if Grayscale bought Bastl...

I'll have another look at phonogene though, I wrote it off a long time ago for some reason I can't remember now...
Old 4th February 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Anyone got ANYTHING at all by ADDAC, maybe even the sampler module?
I have a couple, though neither generate or modify audio. They're rock solid but the trigger inputs are a bit sensitive. I don't know what their threshold is (5v, 8v or what), but they don't trigger with everything. Perfect Circuit put their stuff on sale a few times last year.

Surprised you don't have a Clouds, I'll do the obvious recommendation. On new envelopes, I would get something different too. The new Qubit one is about out...
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search