The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
The Ornament & Crime Aluminium Panels from the FB Group I'm in look great, £3 each amazing

What group is this please? I'm assuming this is the facebook DIY group you're talking about often?

I'm hoping to not be distracted enough by my new toys this weekend to do some work on the Dual Wasp.
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
is that the new 'of Canada' module..

I hope so.........
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Anyone have a harvestman 1979 stilton adaptor?
Any idea how the mix/crossfade would behave with pedals that flip the phase?
Old 3rd February 2017
Out now:

https://www.meluinstruments.com

Freak

Modern Layered Sounds From Your Modular

Phase Synchronized Dual Oscillator
Freak is a dual oscillator for Eurorack modular synthesizers. The two digital oscillators can be phase synchronised with each other and have dedicated audio outputs. This makes it easy to process them separately while resulting in sharp and well defined bass and lead sounds. The integrated audio rate modulator creates complex and interesting timbres in an instant.

Effortless Yet Powerful
Modern music production techniques often rely on layering instruments to build the final bass and lead sounds. Drifting phases between layers make the sound less defined and less sharp. If sharpness and definition is the goal, the challenge usually is keeping the sound layers phase synchronized. This can be cumbersome even on modular systems while modulating two oscillators in audio rates. Keeping the layers in sync could become impossible if different synthesis methods are used for each layer. Freak has been designed to address this issue.

Freak contains two oscillators. Oscillator 1 consists of 8 different waveforms and has a dedicated audio rate modulator. Oscillator 2 consists of 8 more complex sound generation algorithms. Both oscillators can be phase synchronized when needed.

Both oscillators have their own dedicated audio outputs. Mix Out provides an easy way to crossfade between the two oscillators.

Several different synthesis methods are used to create a wide palette of layered sounds: virtual analog, frequency modulation, phase modulation and phase distortion. The UI has been designed to make sound design workflow quick, easy and intuitive.

More audio examples available at Melu instruments.

Main Features
Two digital oscillators + one audio rate modulator

Oscillator 1:
8 waveforms
Each waveform has a synthesis method specific control parameter which can be modulated with the audio rate modulator.
Wave 1 = PWM
Wave 2-6 = Phase Modulation
Wave 7-8 = Timbre
Syncable to the audio rate modulator
CV input for controlling tune
Dedicated audio output

Audio rate modulator:
8 waveforms
Modulates Oscillator 1 with 4 possible modulation modes
Frequency modulation at octave 0
Frequency modulation at octave 1
Control parameter modulation at octave 0
Control parameter modulation at octave 1
CV input for controlling modulation amount

Oscillator 2:
8 waveforms with two controllable parameters each:
Pulse = PWM / Phase Modulation
Double Saw = Saw mix amount / Phase Modulation
Multisaw = Number of saw waveforms / Wave spread
Gnarl = FM Timbre 1 / FM Timbre 2
Whoosh = FM Timbre 1 / FM Timbre 2
Blip = Phase Distortion / FM Timbre
Noise Mod = FM noise amount / Crossfade
Noise = HP Filter Cutoff / LP Filter Cutoff
Dedicated audio output

3 audio outputs:
Wave 1 Out
Wave 2 Out
Mix Out (crossfade between Wave 1 & 2 outputs)

3 CV Inputs:
Global pitch CV In
Wave 1 tune CV In
Audio rate modulation amount CV In

Width = 31 HP
Power = 70 mA @ +12V, 10 mA @ -12V

Price: 345 euros (inc. VAT)

-------

Retailers:
https://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/...nts-freak.html

Last edited by kraku; 15th February 2017 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: Added more audio examples
Old 3rd February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraku View Post
Out now:

https://www.meluinstruments.com

Freak

Modern Layered Sounds From Your Modular

The idea is rad and the sound is great. It could really have more CV control inputs though, and 31hp for a size makes me irrationally angry. I'm still kinda tempted by this though.
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Looks really awesome. Any plans for an American distributor?
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
The idea is rad and the sound is great. It could really have more CV control inputs though, and 31hp for a size makes me irrationally angry. I'm still kinda tempted by this though.
I was miffed about odd size modules for a long time, but now that there are so many of them out there, I think it's a moot issue. The 31hp can be offset by any number of modules now. Bastl has a ton of 5hp modules, Erica has a whole series of 3hp modules, and your mom is 241hp wide!
Old 3rd February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Looks really awesome. Any plans for an American distributor?
Yep. As soon as we get to that phase, which is really soon I hope
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Hi, I have been considering the Moog Mother. I have a Slim Phatty and understand that it is a much more versatile synth. Would the Mother add to this? and can I use the sequencer for my modular as well I was wondering?
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

That Freak VCO sounds amazing.. kinda big, but very interesting.
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Hi, I have been considering the Moog Mother. I have a Slim Phatty and understand that it is a much more versatile synth. Would the Mother add to this? and can I use the sequencer for my modular as well I was wondering?
Mother is a great little synth - yes you can use the sequencer.
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep. As soon as we get to that phase, which is really soon I hope
Good. I want one. It's right there on the first row of my wishlist now:

Am I assuming correctly that this is a digital module? Not that it matter because its functionality looks rad, but I'm in love with digital modules.
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was miffed about odd size modules for a long time, but now that there are so many of them out there, I think it's a moot issue. The 31hp can be offset by any number of modules now. Bastl has a ton of 5hp modules, Erica has a whole series of 3hp modules, and your mom is 241hp wide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Mother is a great little synth - yes you can use the sequencer.
But would it just be overkill already having a Slim Phatty? Without being able to go and test it I don't know if it would add anything.
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

OMFG! This thing is amazing! I could just let it sits doing it's thing on Chord all day. I'm going to need some more LFO's.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-img_0379.jpg  
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Derp - you keep lusting after that Doepfer mini synth... aren't they unobtanium?
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
But would it just be overkill already having a Slim Phatty? Without be able to go and test it I don't know if it would add anything. I am intending to get a Beatstep Pro though.
I vote that unless you're a neurotic moron like myself and absolutely HAVE to have everything in your rack, everyone should own a BSP. I find myself missing mine a lot. The only two criticisms I have (and they are minor) is that out of the box, you have to do a lot of setting up to get it to spit out usable CV signals (they default to middle C being some ridiculously high voltage) and the lack of labels on the top panel for the rear jacks is just silly. If I were more DIY-capable, I'd put together a small 4hp panel that is just a breakout module with labels so that you're not always having to pick up the BSP to read which jack is which.
Old 3rd February 2017
Quote:
I love my mama-32! She has a big, big sound for only 1 osc, and that filter...oh man it makes everything sound better. For the price, try and get modules that do everything (at the same level of performance, which is well, Moog level) in the Mother-32- you can't. You might be able to do it all in a slightly smaller space but not for the money and not with that sound. Keep in mind the Mother uses the -5v to +5v standard for it's v/octave out while most other companies these days use 0v to +10v or close to it. The solution is to simply add 5v across the whole thing with something like a Triatt in bipolar mode cranked all the way up.

I also have a Slim Phatty and am just on the verge of attempting integration (had to buy cable adapters and move it closer) between the two. Could take a while to get to it but I will share my findings here for sure.
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Derp - you keep lusting after that Doepfer mini synth... aren't they unobtanium?
They pop up for sale every once in a while. Problem is that I never have the money at the same time they're being offered. It's probably getting pulled off my lust list soon, though. Uncle Sam is cutting me a fat check for my tax refund this year, so I'm gonna spend part of it on debts and snag the Tonestar 8109 and a Juno Chorus. It won't be an exact clone, but I'll be surprised if it doesn't get me close enough to the AX60 sound.
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

I think I'm like right on the verge of selling my DotCom system. That would afford a whole lot of euro right there, or alleviate more credit card debts. Only things I'd really need to be happy with a replacement are a few comparable oscillators, a Moogy filter, and more envelopes.
Old 3rd February 2017
Quote:
I vote that unless you're a neurotic moron like myself and absolutely HAVE to have everything in your rack, everyone should own a BSP. I find myself missing mine a lot. The only two criticisms I have (and they are minor) is that out of the box, you have to do a lot of setting up to get it to spit out usable CV signals (they default to middle C being some ridiculously high voltage) and the lack of labels on the top panel for the rear jacks is just silly. If I were more DIY-capable, I'd put together a small 4hp panel that is just a breakout module with labels so that you're not always having to pick up the BSP to read which jack is which.
This is part of why it has taken me so long to integrate my slim into the modular. I suppose if i had 84HP rows in rack boxes it would have been logistically easier but I can't deny that for the first bit of time with modular i was determined to get everything into the case- volt meter, oscilliscope, lights, cable holders, full array of effects, George Foreman sandwich grill, ATM machine (probably the most practical), parking spot for the golf cart- you name it I was going to fit it into the case. F all those wires! (the irony is crushing here, because wires) I didn't want all those pesky wires hooked up to things outside the case, for some ungodly reason that i still haven't figured out.

So at some point very recently, when I realized I was buying a $500 module (ZDSP) to use as a reverb (I know it does more this is just how I was going to use it), when I already have a freaking $(Iforgethowmany)00 pedal (H9) just sitting there that I definitely wasn't going to sell...I woke up and reconfigured my stuff to match the "breakthrough" my brain just had. I've got my Minifooger Delay on one fx bus of the WMD mixer, and the H9 on the other. I just use the chronoblob inline now and it sounds better that way for some reason even though the other FX all sound fine through the busses. "Intheboxism" (in this or any context) is to be avoided at all costs IMO.
Old 3rd February 2017
Quote:
Good. I want one. It's right there on the first row of my wishlist now:

Am I assuming correctly that this is a digital module? Not that it matter because its functionality looks rad, but I'm in love with digital modules.
Yes, it's fully digital.
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Hmm ... for some reason, the site seems to think my picture is flipped. Here's a quick first patch with the Morpheus. Just Omikron > WMD SSF, Chord > Morpheus.

Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's a euro Casio CZ-101.
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well for one, you could use the Mother's VCO as another oscillator for the Slim. Additionally, you could use all of the CV outs on the Mother for further control of the slim, but you could do that with any of your Euro.

Yes, you can use the sequencer, and as mentioned, there's some tricks you have to go through to get it to play nicely with modular.

I got rid of my Sub37, which is a bigger, badder Sub Phatty because I preferred the tone of the oscillator better on the Mother. I've never used a slim, and I've read that they have a bit more of the old school Moog sound than the Subs. It's a subtle difference, but it was definitely there to my ears.

IMO, the Mother will add a few things to your setup if you're keen on keeping the Phatty, but you'd probably be better off spending your money elsewhere. If you're looking to replace the Phatty, the Mother is a great way to do so while still retaining some Moog-ness in your arsenal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Hmm ... for some reason, the site seems to think my picture is flipped. Here's a quick first patch with the Morpheus. Just Omikron > WMD SSF, Chord > Morpheus.

Sounds really good man!
Old 3rd February 2017
Here are more audio examples. I added the same video also to the initial post about Freak:

Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I love my mama-32! She has a big, big sound for only 1 osc, and that filter...oh man it makes everything sound better. For the price, try and get modules that do everything (at the same level of performance, which is well, Moog level) in the Mother-32- you can't. You might be able to do it all in a slightly smaller space but not for the money and not with that sound. Keep in mind the Mother uses the -5v to +5v standard for it's v/octave out while most other companies these days use 0v to +10v or close to it. The solution is to simply add 5v across the whole thing with something like a Triatt in bipolar mode cranked all the way up.

I also have a Slim Phatty and am just on the verge of attempting integration (had to buy cable adapters and move it closer) between the two. Could take a while to get to it but I will share my findings here for sure.
I have seen some MM's at reasonable prices and would really like to go and test before I buy but music shops don't stock much stuff these days. What do you think of the sound compared to the SP; is it just different or similar is what I'd really like to know?

I just checked what you meant by buying cable adapters and now see it has gate and 3 CV's and I didn't know this, so you really have made me realise that I should explore integrating the SP with my modular first. Thanks.

I need to get my stuff integrated too but tend to noodle with my rack in front of the telly during the week because it's more comfortable than being holed up in my bedroom. I need to move somewhere else when I can afford it and set up a real studio space.

My current set-up.
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

One more quick Morpheus demo. Just a simple drone feeding Chord, Omikron, and Turing sequence on Braids into the Morpheus. Morpheus modulated with Batumi set at various random rates. Just a touch of Clouds reverb added.

Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

I enjoyed this. Vintage synths as well as modular.

Synths of Deadpool - Studio Time with Junkie XL

Old 3rd February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
One more quick Morpheus demo. Just a simple drone feeding Chord, Omikron, and Turing sequence on Braids into the Morpheus. Morpheus modulated with Batumi set at various random rates. Just a touch of Clouds reverb added.

big sound, thank you
Old 3rd February 2017
Quote:
I have seen some MM's at reasonable prices and would really like to go and test before I buy but music shops don't stock much stuff these days. What do you think of the sound compared to the SP; is it just different or similar is what I'd really like to know?
You mean the sound of the Mother-32 vs the Slim Phatty? Well, the simplest and most direct way I can put this is The Slim Phatty sounds and acts like a new Moog and the Mother-32 sounds and acts like an old Moog, making them similar enough in raw tone but very different in features and usage and therefore completely different sounding in the end. I used to own a few vintage Moogs, including a '74 Minimoog. I compared all of them, and the raw oscillator in the Mother was micro close, closer to the Mini than any other Moog I have heard. Just thinking about it makes me want to get 2 more Mothers and rack them together to make huge sounding monosynth.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search