The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 2nd February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
So looking forward to making nothing but drones this weekend . Also, glad that I didn't end up getting a Plague Bearer, looks like the Morpheus has some good distortion algorithms buried in there.
You could effectively write whole albums of material with just that filter and a box of loops, it's just insane what it can, it's like an instrument all on it's own, I'm afraid though if I get it I will not touch all my other gear and just run all my old tracks through it endlessly remixing and having a blast...seriously great module A+ for sure
Old 2nd February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummel View Post
More choices in the same amount of space, I suppose. But in the end I guess I really just want a nice sounding filter with some more/different options then the mother, so with your advice it's leaning more towards the humpback alot cheaper aswell, and diy which to me is a bonus!

Edit: something like this mayhaps.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/398993

Use the mixer for mixing waveforms of the dixie and/or mother before hitting the humpback. Peaks for some extra modulation with the 4ms, buff mult for tracking from mother. Cheap vca for output if not using the mother internal one. Seems like this would make a cool monosynth, and midicontrollable when I wish
So today I saw something in the manual for Polaris that I forgot promptly after buying it and initially reading it- the resonance trimmer on the side-

Quote:
Resonance Balance Trimmer

The side of the Polaris PCB has a resonance balance trimmer that can be used to set the balance of the self-resonating feedback of the filter with the input signal. This trimmer can be adjusted to change the sound of the filter when in self-resonance. Use a phillips head screwdriver to set the balance to taste.
Ima dig into that later and see if I can't dial down the harshness a bit. I bought it used, who knows what it's set at...
Old 2nd February 2017
Gear Head

Amazing modules on this system. Check it out.
Old 2nd February 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
So today I saw something in the manual for Polaris that I forgot promptly after buying it and initially reading it- the resonance trimmer on the side-

Ima dig into that later and see if I can't dial down the harshness a bit. I bought it used, who knows what it's set at...
Please report back on your findings :D
Old 2nd February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silos View Post

"Wednesday, a day off for French children, because I want a cute sound"

I lol'ed though.
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silos View Post

The "Melody Thread" was too much.
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Since this is "The Modular Thread" and not "The Eurorack Thread"...why not Frac? I ask because I've got a professional audio engineer friend who swears by Frac and hates euro, so it led me to do a little research as I hadn't explored other formats as much. Euro certainly has the advantage for variety, but I was surprised to see that Frac is maybe somewhat considerably less expensive. Of course, the limitation in manufacturers is worth considering, but considering the price and larger size of modules and easy cross compatibility with euro, Frac seems worth some research at least for some more basic functions. Is there something I'm missing?
Old 2nd February 2017
Gear Guru

really interesting piece this, the percussion and atmos is superb..
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Audio Damage Neuron12 showed up yesterday. Gave it a quick play. Fantastic capabilities. I think this and the Basimilus Iteratus Alter are going to provide just what I'm looking for drum wise.

Still have to build a shelf to get my mixer and Rasts up about six inches to put the Mantis in front...I'm a procrastinator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post

really interesting piece this, the percussion and atmos is superb..
Agreed, the atmospheric feeling on that is fantastic.

Great piece overall!

Thanks for posting!
Old 2nd February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummel View Post
Please report back on your findings :D
I can't speak to anything technical...but-

Pure joy is what I found!

The trimmer (which freakishly turns forever in either direction and seemingly never stops affecting the sound each way) is tiny and fiddly but man, what a difference. Turning it clockwise seems to increase the overall resonance level, and counter decrease. I turned it WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY down to the point where it only self-resonates at 3 o'clock or higher (before it was anything past 1 or even noon depending on the cutoff) increasing the range of the resonance significantly and opening up sweet spots that were simply not even there before. It sounds more like the Humpback and Ripples now but with crazy low end at certain high res and low cutoff settings, like earth-shattering-brown-note-low. I did all my testing with the Mother-32 VCO SAW going straight in if that's important...

So before I pretty much only used the Polaris as a distorted phaser, since that's what it did best and I already have the other filters (plus the Mother 32 as well), but now I can see myself using it for anything I would use any of the other filters for. I wasn't really planning on getting rid of it but it was definitely my least favorite filter of the bunch, not sure I have a least favorite anymore.
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I know there aren't many Bastl fans around here, but this is one of the things I think is cool about Cinnamon is that it's got a couple switches to alter the resonance. It goes from classic Roland to nutz in two switch flips, three if you want to push it even harder!
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

The trimmer (which freakishly turns forever in either direction and seemingly never stops affecting the sound each way) is tiny and fiddly but man, what a difference. Turning it clockwise seems to increase the overall resonance level, and counter decrease. I turned it WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY down to the point where it only self-resonates at 3 o'clock or higher (before it was anything past 1 or even noon depending on the cutoff) increasing the range of the resonance significantly and opening up sweet spots that were simply not even there before. It sounds more like the Humpback and Ripples now but with crazy low end at certain high res and low cutoff settings, like earth-shattering-brown-note-low. I did all my testing with the Mother-32 VCO SAW going straight in if that's important...

So before I pretty much only used the Polaris as a distorted phaser, since that's what it did best and I already have the other filters (plus the Mother 32 as well), but now I can see myself using it for anything I would use any of the other filters for. I wasn't really planning on getting rid of it but it was definitely my least favorite filter of the bunch, not sure I have a least favorite anymore.
Man I am so doing this, thanks for taking the plunge!

While I hadn't fallen in love with any of the Low Pass modes I have to say the Hi Pass and particularly the Band Pass have gotten plenty of use; in fact for that rubber band twangy sound that I sometimes like it does a pretty excellent job. But your description of the performance at lower resonance trim is very encouraging.
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Since this is "The Modular Thread" and not "The Eurorack Thread"...why not Frac? I ask because I've got a professional audio engineer friend who swears by Frac and hates euro, so it led me to do a little research as I hadn't explored other formats as much. Euro certainly has the advantage for variety, but I was surprised to see that Frac is maybe somewhat considerably less expensive. Of course, the limitation in manufacturers is worth considering, but considering the price and larger size of modules and easy cross compatibility with euro, Frac seems worth some research at least for some more basic functions. Is there something I'm missing?
Selection and availability are the two big issues with Frac. I had told myself I was going to get a Frac before going Euro, but before I pulled the trigger, Analogue Haven (whom I'd been buying most of my synths from at the time) stopped selling Frac. When the dealers all pulled out, that told me that Frac isn't the place to be.

Blacet makes most of the exciting modules, but many of them have been ported over to Eurorack. There's the theory that Frac VCO's might sound better than Euro VCO's due to voltage difference (Frac is 15v native while Euro is 12v), but I have a hard time buying into that myself since I have an ASol VCO in Euro that sounds just as ballsy and electric as my DotCom VCO's. (Though to be fair, the ASol does require a +5v bump, so that may have something to do with it.)

Price should still be a consideration, though. With Blacet, their filter is $230, which is kind of the higher end of the price range when it comes to filters in Euro. And $200 for a single envelope is borderline insane. Unless you're heavily into DIY and just really want to build your own voice (i.e. Paia), it's just not worth it.
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Put my wooly socks and Jumper on to start building this Ornaments & crime in the cold garage
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Thats the Digital to Audio converter soldered in place, is that thing tiny.
To be honest its easy to do once you learn a technique.

Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
As has been intimated the main drawback to Frac, to me, is that it has every appearance of a dying format honestly. Disappearing from big retailers (big by pre-boom modular standards even), desolate forums over at MW, a fairly small amount of variety to begin with (not to mention that it hasn't even kept pace with Buchla/5U which seem to develop much, much slower than Euro already). If there are specific Frac modules that one wanted to build then it still seems a valid path for stuff like that, I believe there are DIY power solutions too. But serious system building outside of DIY seems like it would be pretty lame right now.

Personally I very nearly went 5U; in addition to people saying occasionally how much "bigger" it sounds (not sold on that idea personally but at the time I had no basis of comparison) I definitely preferred the ergonomics of the big, spacious panels and sturdy 1/4" jacks [now that I've had time to acclimate to my Euro system I still prefer spacious panels but I'm so glad I patch 3.5mm jacks; 1/4" is just bulkier than I want, the connectors and especially the cables; quite a bit heavier to lug around too!).

And my reason for going Euro (that all the action seemed to be there basically) has really paid off for me: of the stuff in my 3 cases I'd estimate just under 50% of those modules even existed when I started building. AJH, Polaris, Sequencer 1, Octocontroller, Junky (in module form) to name a few, all new to the market post-my-original-cases. I pretty much knew/expected that my aims and designs were going to be an active ongoing game of Tetris but I didn't really expect it to become so 'popular'; in respect to offering more and more choices for all kinds of users and aims Euro is where it's at. And yeah, there's tons of repetition of features but keep in mind that a lot of these modules speak to different kinds of users (people who value space vs. people who love tiny modules, people who like plain panels vs. people who like lightning bolts, etc.). My Cranial Saw is basically my favorite VCO pair I own but a whole lot of people would never even consider putting that kind of space into a pair of VCOs (understandable from a perspective).

Such things may not be everyone's top priority or even a priority at all but for me it was an important consideration. The way things are pacing out, by the time Euro dramatically slows and/or starts to fade I'll have long filled my holes and it will be a zero-sum game to get new modules anyway.
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Op-amps now soldered, that all ill do tonight.
Ive deliberately left my solder iron in the photo so you can see the size of the tip I'm using.
For anybody new and thinking of soldering, the fatter the tip the quicker you can solder as its all about heat transfer.
In my experience thin tips are totally useless.
The secret to soldering SMD chips is use lots of flux and a fat tip

Old 2nd February 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Thats the Digital to Audio converter soldered in place, is that thing tiny.
To be honest its easy to do once you learn a technique.
That is crazy! I don't know anything about soldering, but I know enough to be impressed by this
Old 2nd February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Ive deliberately left my solder iron in the photo so you can see the size of the tip I'm using.
For anybody new and thinking of soldering, the fatter the tip the quicker you can solder as its all about heat transfer.

you shrunk yourself down..???

Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Interesting. Here, I was thinking I was doing my SMD stuff with too big of a tip, which is about the size of yours. But yes, flux helps a boatload! Not necessary really IME for through-hole.

Also interesting that you did all of the op amps and DAC chip first before the resistors and caps - at least the DAC chip, as that's got what looks to be a cap that goes right next to it, not giving you much soldering iron wiggle room.
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Interesting. Here, I was thinking I was doing my SMD stuff with too big of a tip, which is about the size of yours. But yes, flux helps a boatload! Not necessary really IME for through-hole.

Also interesting that you did all of the op amps and DAC chip first before the resistors and caps - at least the DAC chip, as that's got what looks to be a cap that goes right next to it, not giving you much soldering iron wiggle room.
Yes if it was thru-hole id start off with resistors, but with SMD i always start off with IC's, as i consider them the hardest to solder so don't want other components in my way.

Ill get that cap in easy
Old 2nd February 2017
Hey guys, quick question as I cant find the answer; is there a simple module to transform CV signal in its sub octave corresponding CV?
I'm going crazy trying to find a definitive answer to this simple question!!
Thanks!
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingtheSound View Post
Hey guys, quick question as I cant find the answer; is there a simple module to transform CV signal in its sub octave corresponding CV?
Thanks!
Sounds like this is what you're looking for:

ALM Beast's Chalkboard
Old 2nd February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Sounds like this is what you're looking for:

ALM Beast's Chalkboard
Thank you so much!! Exactly what I was looking for! You saved the day! ;-)
Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Head

Quote:

Fantastic news, and so it sails to my filter "want" top again. And nice to hear that you did test it with the M32 as that's a big part of what I want to use it with. Love me some brown-notes
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

A uVCA 2 showed up today. Threw it into the Mantis to test them both. Will do a bit more detailed comparison to the sound and how they respond to CV between the Doepfer and uVCA later. WMD MM VCA and Basimilus Iteritas Alter should show up tomorrow or Saturday.

Quote:
Yes if it was thru-hole id start off with resistors, but with SMD i always start off with IC's, as i consider them the hardest to solder so don't want other components in my way.

Ill get that cap in easy
I'm sure you will. I try to plan the board around tighter fits, and as the IC pins aren't near the cap, I'd think to go cap first. But I'm far less experienced than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingtheSound View Post
Thanks!
Wouldn't anything with a straight offset do the trick as well? Maths, an offset module, etc.
Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
A uVCA 2 showed up today. Threw it into the Mantis to test them both.
what did you think of the mantis ..?
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
what did you think of the mantis ..?
I think the old adage, you get what you pay for applies here. And that's certainly not to say it's bad. And take this with a grain of salt as I don't have a more expensive case - I've DIY'd my 15U. I'm only going to go into detail about the things I don't like about it. But the truth is, this would be a fantastic beginners case, offering lots of hp and power at one of the lowest prices out there. And for me, it's a nice base case for my 2 stacked Rasts. The cost for me to DIY a Rast is 220 plus assorted hardware pieces probably totaling another $10 or so and then my labor. So this was essentially $100 more (If you don't count the labor) and offered a nice, tilted base, which would have been much more difficult for me to produce.

It's definitely cheaper plastic, as you've said - not dirt cheap, but not as substantial as I'd like. I've heard a lot of people want to use it for a live, mobile kinda skiff. I personally wouldn't. I don't think it would hold up to regular playing gigs. Maybe the odd one every few months will last it a while.

I use nylon washers to try to avoid rash rack, and I wasn't able to get any of the typical screws I receive with modules to screw in on the upper portion. The lower portion I could, depending on the width of the plate. Not a big deal, just a bit annoying. I'm close to a couple good hardware stores, so picking up some longer 3mm screws is not a problem.

I'm also not a fan of keyed headers, but I wouldn't mention it if not for this...they didn't label the -12V. Now, I knew this going in as I saw it elsewhere, but still...that's an accident waiting to happen.

I haven't tried using the legs to prop it up yet. Doubt I actually will.

Overall though, it's nice for me. I like it. I haven't given it a thorough testing yet, but I've moved a lot of stuff into it, so once I'm done with that...I'd probably be more let down had you not reported what you did. The early receivers over at muffs had primarily glowing reviews of it and the build quality.

I also haven't found depth to be an issue. You just have to strategically plan where to place deeper modules. The Chaos Divider is a pretty deep module, (three stacked PCBs) but putting it in the front row seems fine for me. Putting it in the upper row may be an issue because the thing throws heat as does one of the PCBs in the power circuit for the Mantis.
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

The Ornament & Crime Aluminium Panels from the FB Group I'm in look great, £3 each amazing

Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
The Ornament & Crime Aluminium Panels from the FB Group I'm in look great, £3 each amazing

is that the new 'of Canada' module..
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search