The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 1st February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vowa Cwejman
Another bad boy in the making, maybe. Please leave remarks/critisism/suggestions. It's a big brother to the MX-4S with stereo AUX and semi logarithmic envelope follower, click free MUTE / signal indicator + a master section with balanced outs and more.
My comment: stereo aux is very good. envelope follower is excellent.
since this is a backend master mixer (balanced outs would suggest this)
a seperate monitor/HP out would've been great (pre-fader post-pan).

The Modular Thread 2017-16423018_367823956930596_6523211843702622244_o.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-16423018_367823956930596_6523211843702622244_o.jpg  
Old 1st February 2017
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the help so far everyone!

I'm quite new to the modular world, so I would like to ask what modules you would recommend for me, according to my musical style. You can check out my work here: https://www.youtube.com/joostdnonsens
I mostly do Deep House (not the modern style), Chicago House and French House stuff, sometimes a bit Boom Bap-HipHop and relating genres (sample-based, a bit jazzy/funky, rely on classic Roland-x0x-machines).

Therefore I'm mainly interested in doing audio mangling / percussive stuff with my modular system and not fart noises (don't want to offend anyone here )

This is my rack so far, what would you change, add or remove?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/366843

Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joostoftoday View Post

I'm quite new to the modular world, so I would like to ask what modules you would recommend for me, according to my musical style. You can check out my work here: https://www.youtube.com/joostdnonsens
I mostly do Deep House (not the modern style), Chicago House and French House stuff, sometimes a bit Boom Bap-HipHop and relating genres (sample-based, a bit jazzy/funky, rely on classic Roland-x0x-machines).

Therefore I'm mainly interested in doing audio mangling / percussive stuff with my modular system and not fart noises (don't want to offend anyone here )

Of the modules I'm familiar with, the two modules that disappointed me when I first started were Wogglebug and Links. I got much more out of Kinks than Wogglebug and still keep looking at the Doepfer A-148. Now that I have a much larger system, Wooglebug is starting to become useful but I wouldn't recommend it as a starting modulation source. You'll get more out of a Batumi for the same HP.

As for Links, there are better mult's out there. I have the WMD Buffered Mult which I find to be more flexible than Links, but there are a number out there with similar functionality. What Links does is also better suited for a larger system, where you might want to mix CV signals, rather than simply doing routing distribution, which you also need. Also, you'll probably only need one mult to start with.

You also don't really need Cold Mac and Veils in a 3u. Cold Mac is sort of a specialty VCA; it's pretty cool (watch the videos), but I don't think you'll have enough voices to really justify both.

Last comment, take a look at the Aperture filter from WMD instead of Sisters. It's a fresh take on filter implementation designed by a guy who's more influenced by techno rather than ambient in modular. Might be more in line with the sounds you're looking for.
Old 1st February 2017
Gear Maniac

Thanks a lot for the comprehensive feedback, it will surely help me!

I will have a look at some of the WMD modules. Surprisingly I'm not that interested in MI or Make Noise modules, I think they are awesome, but I fell a bit for Intellijel and especially ALM, their modules look so great.
And I have the feeling that both manufacturers have a similar background where my musical interest is, ALM is working on a S950-Filter(that I love)-module, according to their Instagram-account.
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the comprehensive feedback, it will surely help me!

I will have a look at some of the WMD modules. Surprisingly I'm not that interested in MI or Make Noise modules, I think they are awesome, but I fell a bit for Intellijel and especially ALM, their modules look so great.
And I have the feeling that both manufacturers have a similar background where my musical interest is, ALM is working on a S950-Filter(that I love)-module, according to their Instagram-account.
Personally I love MI, and Make Noise make some great, "non-east coast" style stuff, but don't let brand affinity drive your decisions. Do your research, watch lots of videos, and don't buy something just because you have some empty HP. Start small with a goal, learn what the gaps are in your specific system, and slowly address them.
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
the way it was explained to me by a circuit designer, big difference is a transistor design can work equally well on 12V or 15V system (take a look at moog modular just for one example), but chip and dil opamp based systems have the quality of their output much more dependant on the power used. think this might the genesis of idea that often 5u systems sound more substantial to some eurorack setups. my conclusion was, and it was confirmed in practice, if you choose your audio path modules carefully, you can have equally big sound in euro.
Good explanation there and it's got me thinking (again) about my own situation:

Does anyone else here have both a 5u and and Eurorack system? Has anyone that has or had both found an oscillator that was comparable to a 5u oscillator? As always, I feel like my DotCom takes a lot of space and is really only being kept for its oscillators anyway. More importantly, has anyone found an oscillator that's comparable and remains in the same price range or less? It's hard to justify getting an oscillator that's $400 when the Q106's are only $200 a pop.
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Based on your video using Chord mode on the Alpha Juno and your Deep House stuff, I'd recommend a Qu-bit Chord. It does a lot of that transposed chords thing so that you wind up with a lot of non-scale/blue/color notes. I think it might fit in quite well with what you're looking to do.
Old 1st February 2017
Gear Guru

not sure why you would choose a wogglebug if doing deep house etc, it's good at generating random CV for fart noises and wacky percussion imo. If you want suggestions for deep house etc choose some oscillators that are thick n rich sounding like the AJH and Blue Lantern or Omnikron vco's couple with a nice juicy filter like the Roland 521 or Polaris.
Old 1st February 2017
Gear Head

What do you think of the polaris Fiddle? Thinking of putting it, a dixie and the mother 32 together in my 104hp rack since I'm getting another case now, and the polaris seems really nice and versatile as I'm probably will get only one filter for my setup (and an LPG at some point.) Also dig the drive on it!
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
not sure why you would choose a wogglebug if doing deep house etc, it's good at generating random CV for fart noises and wacky percussion imo. If you want suggestions for deep house etc choose some oscillators that are thick n rich sounding like the AJH and Blue Lantern or Omnikron vco's couple with a nice juicy filter like the Roland 521 or Polaris.
Random signal generators are not for "fart noises and wacky percussion" that's ludicrous. There are so many useful ways to modulate with stepped and smooth random (which, despite the other quirks of the Wogglebug, is really what it's for) I don't even know where to begin other than to say: anywhere you would have applied an LFO you can apply a random signal.
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Morpheus filter module review
I should not be watching this.
Old 2nd February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Random signal generators are not for "fart noises and wacky percussion" that's ludicrous. There are so many useful ways to modulate with stepped and smooth random (which, despite the other quirks of the Wogglebug, is really what it's for) I don't even know where to begin other than to say: anywhere you would have applied an LFO you can apply a random signal.
well yes but me personally it's not the first kind of module you'd seek out when doing that style of music, and you'd need to attenuate to smooth out stuff, of course we all use things different just me I wouldn't seek out a Wogglebug if I looking to do some funky deep house or techno even..
Old 2nd February 2017
Gear Guru

That Rossum module is incredible, absolutely amazing, one the best things I've seen in euro so far, you could literally use one of them and a bunch of loops to create endless tracks, the limits are infinite, so very cool..
Old 2nd February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummel View Post
What do you think of the polaris Fiddle? Thinking of putting it, a dixie and the mother 32 together in my 104hp rack since I'm getting another case now, and the polaris seems really nice and versatile as I'm probably will get only one filter for my setup (and an LPG at some point.) Also dig the drive on it!
I don't have one but I've always wanted one, it sounds really thick and nice to me, I've listened to many of the videos and it always sounds really good..
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
well yes but me personally it's not the first kind of module you'd seek out when doing that style of music, and you'd need to attenuate to smooth out stuff, of course we all use things different just me I wouldn't seek out a Wogglebug if I looking to do some funky deep house or techno even..
Yes, it's true that tasteful use often requires offset and attenuation. (I would say likewise for LFOs too). I can't imagine building any kind of Euro system and not having some kind of random signal generator. At 10hp the Bug isn't a bad choice: it's highly modulate-able and the oscillator outputs are occasionally useful though your point stands that they tend to be pretty aggressive and uncooperative compared to VCOs. But even if you basically never use them or the ring mod (I only rarely do) it's a cool random signal generator. People seem to love it for its unpredictability and (to me) obtuse user feedback. Sometimes I love that; sometimes I wonder if I will be happier with a URA.
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Tru dat. Like LFOs though, you need to attenuate it in the sweetspots
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Polaris is a great choice: in addition to the absurd number of useful filter types and shapes and slopes you get a phaser with drive and distortion (it's a one trick pony distortion but I don't think it sounds bad, I do use it). And I love onboard attenuation (and attenuversion) and signal level control. Even has CV over feedback.
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think @slaughtrhaus has a Polaris, so maybe he will jump in and give some thoughts on it.
Old 2nd February 2017
Gear Head

I do think it looks really cool, have listened to what demos Ive managed to dig up. The one other filter Im thinking about is gods box - humpback from thonk. Sounds quite lovely but since Im going the "one filter path" polaris seemd like the obvious choice because of the multi out.
Old 2nd February 2017
Quote:
The Polaris is a great choice: in addition to the absurd number of useful filter types and shapes and slopes you get a phaser with drive and distortion (it's a one trick pony distortion but I don't think it sounds bad, I do use it). And I love onboard attenuation (and attenuversion) and signal level control. Even has CV over feedback.
This is pretty much spot on for the Polaris IMO. That being said I get richer tones out of my Ripples and my Humpback. I get tempted by the Morpheus for the sound but it looks really complex to use which is a turn off for me.
Old 2nd February 2017
Quote:
I do think it looks really cool, have listened to what demos Ive managed to dig up. The one other filter Im thinking about is gods box - humpback from thonk. Sounds quite lovely but since Im going the "one filter path" polaris seemd like the obvious choice because of the multi out.
I'd pick the Humpback any day and I have both.

Edit: Why does the multi out make a difference to you?
Old 2nd February 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
This is pretty much spot on for the Polaris IMO. That being said I get richer tones out of my Ripples and my Humpback. I get tempted by the Morpheus for the sound but it looks really complex to use which is a turn off for me.
What does "richer" mean in this context? Creamier? Ripples looks quite nice as well.

Just heard about morpheus yesterday or so and checked out divkids video. Seems cool but a bit to much.
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah I agree it's not my favorite sounding LPF; since the OP has a Moog ladder that shouldn't be a problem. I'm actually thinking seriously about that Omsonic RNF clusterchord mentioned a few pages back to round out my east coast case. But the WMD Aperture also has my interest as does the new shallower Sea Devils. I really just wish I could fit my Post Lawsuit Filter into my Dark Modular case (not even if I sawed it in half). But I'm leaning towards the Omsonic, I wanted something 101ish in my original vision.
Old 2nd February 2017
Gear Guru

I have a bunch of filters, I've sold off a couple lately though, I realised that I bought too many and the wrong types, but funnily enough out of all the nice filters I have the one I always come back to is the Spacemoth from Blue Lantern, man it's a nice filter, it's ridiculously sweet, aggressive and resonant, really fun to use, I'll never sell it ever it's just too nice, coupled with the fact it's got a mono pre amp input for line level to modular, so you can plug instruments staright into it, also is ping-able and has a sub & FM inputs, for me it's the best all round filter I have tbh.
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
What does "richer" mean in this context? Creamier? Ripples looks quite nice as well.

Just heard about morpheus yesterday or so and checked out divkids video. Seems cool but a bit to much.
Ripples is a legit filter, very Rolandy but not in the aggressive 303 way (not that that's bad diode filters rock) Also comes with a VCA so great for starters
Old 2nd February 2017
Quote:

Everybody has a different set of descriptors for this stuff so...probably? I guess what I am describing is something like- not as harsh when you crank the resonance, as the Polaris is decidedly harsh with the res past 1 o'clock or so compared to all of my filters with the exception of the Metasonix, which might be on the chopping block if anyone is an appreciator and wants a decent deal...
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
...of all the nice filters I have the one I always come back to is the Spacemoth from Blue Lantern, man it's a nice filter, it's ridiculously sweet, aggressive and resonant, really fun to use, I'll never sell it ever it's just too nice, coupled with the fact it's got a mono pre amp input for line level to modular, so you can plug instruments staright into it, also is ping-able and has a sub & FM inputs, for me it's the best all round filter I have tbh.
Which version do you have, the skinny one or the newer 10HP one? If you have the older one, are you aware of any reason to not get the newer version, like if something changed, etc?
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That Rossum module is incredible, absolutely amazing, one the best things I've seen in euro so far, you could literally use one of them and a bunch of loops to create endless tracks, the limits are infinite, so very cool..
So looking forward to making nothing but drones this weekend . Also, glad that I didn't end up getting a Plague Bearer, looks like the Morpheus has some good distortion algorithms buried in there.
Old 2nd February 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
I'd pick the Humpback any day and I have both.

Edit: Why does the multi out make a difference to you?
More choices in the same amount of space, I suppose. But in the end I guess I really just want a nice sounding filter with some more/different options then the mother, so with your advice it's leaning more towards the humpback alot cheaper aswell, and diy which to me is a bonus!

Edit: something like this mayhaps.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/398993

Use the mixer for mixing waveforms of the dixie and/or mother before hitting the humpback. Peaks for some extra modulation with the 4ms, buff mult for tracking from mother. Cheap vca for output if not using the mother internal one. Seems like this would make a cool monosynth, and midicontrollable when I wish
Old 2nd February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Which version do you have, the skinny one or the newer 10HP one? If you have the older one, are you aware of any reason to not get the newer version, like if something changed, etc?
I have the 10HP one with Blue Knob that is just awesome to spin and tweak, wasn't aware of an older model..?
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search