The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 29th January 2017
  #1141
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
I've just been looking at 0 Coast and being impressed, I was thinking what Makenoise (or other) modules would you need to have this functionality in euro? An STO oscillator seems obvious but not sure what else is going on here. Modulation, LPG, mixer, envelope, LFO?
Old 29th January 2017
  #1142
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I see they have a crowd supply campaign to offer an assembled version. Is that what you meant? Getting a group together to purchase a 5 pack?
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. I forgot they had a DIY version, actually.
Old 29th January 2017
  #1143
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I've just been looking at 0 Coast and being impressed, I was thinking what Makenoise (or other) modules would you need to have this functionality in euro? An STO oscillator seems obvious but not sure what else is going on here. Modulation, LPG, mixer, envelope, LFO?
I looked into that myself. 0-Coast is closer in design to a DPO, a Function, an Optomix, and a Wogglebug, with a couple unique bits included. A guy on Muff's pointed out that the 0-Coast panel is the same size as the eurorack standard and that if you want it powered from your modular, there's a little modification involved, but it's doable. 0-Coast is on my wishlist eventually to just pop out of its case, slap in the rack, and let it use its own power.
Old 29th January 2017
  #1144
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Just looked through my pile of PCB's and I've got the xox Heart mainboard & Pacemaker control board so id only need a panel,
although it would make life easier for myself to buy an assembled Mainboard from Synthcube for $79 as it would cost me more to build once you add the time and effort.

You've pretty much got every PCB ever made for Euro, no?

I ordered a Penrose Quantizer kit the other day...my to-do list, which had gotten surprisingly small, has grown pretty big again.
Old 29th January 2017
  #1145
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
I have one goal for my euro system this year, finish it..!!



seriously though it will be complete, I'm determined to, I have no more plans to expand at all, most of the year is going to be used up by saving and saving and saving saving up for the 4 Verbos modules that will complete my mantis case, and somehow hopefully there is enough weeks in the year to afford the AS modules to complete that case too..whew it's going to be a long haul.

For now though while I work n save, and it's just too hot to turn on the modular, it's back to the Deepmind and exploration of it's palette..
Old 29th January 2017
  #1146
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I looked into that myself. 0-Coast is closer in design to a DPO, a Function, an Optomix, and a Wogglebug, with a couple unique bits included. A guy on Muff's pointed out that the 0-Coast panel is the same size as the eurorack standard and that if you want it powered from your modular, there's a little modification involved, but it's doable. 0-Coast is on my wishlist eventually to just pop out of its case, slap in the rack, and let it use its own power.
With a few other goodies The LPG is transistor based, which I know goes against the vactrol tradition but sounds snappy in its own right. I love my wife's 0coast, I may just get one myself and use it as a start to the modular. Its closer to an STO than a DPO though
Old 29th January 2017
  #1147
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
303 Filter DIY
Want
Old 29th January 2017
  #1148
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Want
All diode ladder filters are tasty! There are a few VCS Synthi filters that look absolutely divine, and have lots of character too. I think that filter design, more than any other, is my favorite. Look into the STG Sea Devils
1
Share
Old 30th January 2017
  #1149
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frico View Post
Ornament and Crime
really? I've been trying to figure out how, but I don't think it actually does that sort of thing. from what I dug into the scales available don't let you chose the intonation, just the intervals.
Old 30th January 2017
  #1150
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
I've been debating whether to fill my last 8hp with a filter or logic modules. While doing some research, I came across the Doepfer A-150. From looking at the manual, it appears that it can function as a random switch, something like Branches. Anyone have one and can confirm that if I pass, for example, a S/H into the CV in, that it would randomly select a source based on voltage level? It also appears to work with audio sources, something that the Plog or Branches doesn't do very well.

Edit: Just figured out that I can do something almost like the above, using Frames. Still interested in the A-150 though. My Frames is almost always in euclidean mode.
Old 30th January 2017
  #1151
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
You've pretty much got every PCB ever made for Euro, no?

I ordered a Penrose Quantizer kit the other day...my to-do list, which had gotten surprisingly small, has grown pretty big again.
If the module is open source then theres is a good chance I may have a PCB,

The Penrose Quant looks a good build I've been tempted a few times, I wonder when Penrose are going to release their other modules they were displaying at NAMM 2016.
1
Share
Old 30th January 2017
  #1152
Lives for gear
 
lineofcontrol's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Aphex Twin techniques. Can anyone offer any tips?

How do you get those farty bass sounds in 'On'. Is that just envelope - AR and some modulation in there as well. I've done some close farty bass using Maths. The other sounds are clocked delay?




Donkey Rhubarb. Is the classic LPG bongo sound?




But I was really more interested in this dirty lil' one. How do you get that laser sound. And the nice acid sounds are the filter?




He used the Alesis Quadraverb on this. Is there a Eurorack equivalent module? Will any good reverb do?

Aphex Twin has one of the largest synth collections on the planet.

Eurorack, 5u, old massive modular classics and pretty much every synth ever made. Plus he probably also owns every soft synth ever produced. Plus he has people write specific programs for him.
So impossible to really say! Some of his older stuff from SAW1 is obviously the old Roland classics. Mc202, Sh101 tb303 and 808 with some Dx pads.
Old 30th January 2017
  #1153
A lot of the sounds asked about from the videos are relatively straightforward to make, either in modular format or with fixed synths mono and poly.
The secret sauce is in the way Aphex Twin assembles the sound palette and puts them together in an interesting arrangement.
3
Share
Old 30th January 2017
  #1154
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
If the module is open source then theres is a good chance I may have a PCB,

The Penrose Quant looks a good build I've been tempted a few times, I wonder when Penrose are going to release their other modules they were displaying at NAMM 2016.
Your PCB drawer would be fascinating to go through.

What was Sonic Potions showing at NAMM last year?
Old 30th January 2017
  #1155
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I looked into that myself. 0-Coast is closer in design to a DPO, a Function, an Optomix, and a Wogglebug, with a couple unique bits included. A guy on Muff's pointed out that the 0-Coast panel is the same size as the eurorack standard and that if you want it powered from your modular, there's a little modification involved, but it's doable. 0-Coast is on my wishlist eventually to just pop out of its case, slap in the rack, and let it use its own power.
That's an interesting idea rack mounting or just use a standalone module and cheaper than buying the modules separately. The 0 coast is cheaper than a DPO but looking at it's cut down functionality it's a one oscillator version and only has a triangle and square from what I can see. Or like an STO and a Function?

I have a Maths and a Moddemix so I expect the addition of an Optomix, STO and Wogglebug is going to get me somewhere close. About £150 more to get the extra modules, by my rough calculations, considering what I already have and perhaps more functionality but the 0 coast is such a lovely thing I might be tempted to just get one.

Actually considering how much I've spent on modules I was wondering if I may have better off buying Behringer DM, Moog Mother and 0 coast. Oh well, I'm enjoying what I've got despite the expense.
1
Share
Old 30th January 2017
  #1156
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
That's an interesting idea rack mounting or just use a standalone module and cheaper than buying the modules separately. The 0 coast is cheaper than a DPO but looking at it's cut down functionality it's a one oscillator version and only has a triangle and square from what I can see. Or like an STO and a Function?
I've got a DPO and an STO: The 0-Coast oscillator is still equivalent to half a DPO. STO doesn't offer triangle or square outputs. The 'overtone' and 'multiply' controls are unique to the 0-Coast, but if I had to guess from the demos I've heard of 0-Coast, it sounds like they're variations of the Fold, Angle, and Shape control from DPO. Though it may look it, an STO isn't simply half of a DPO.

Quote:
I have a Maths and a Moddemix so I expect the addition of an Optomix, STO and Wogglebug is going to get me somewhere close. About £150 more to get the extra modules, by my rough calculations, considering what I already have and perhaps more functionality but the 0 coast is such a lovely thing I might be tempted to just get one.
0-Coast is still going to be the cheaper option if you want to sound like a 0-Coast.

Quote:
Actually considering how much I've spent on modules I was wondering if I may have better off buying Behringer DM, Moog Mother and 0 coast. Oh well, I'm enjoying what I've got despite the expense.
Totally. I was ruminating on that myself just last night. If I sold the modular, I could afford a TI2 again, a couple Electribes, an SH32, an AX60, and just basically all the synths I used to use that gave me the sounds that I made the most music with, and none of the tuning issues that come from analog signals. In spite of the work it takes for me to build even the simplest of patches for composition, this still gives me the most joy.
Old 30th January 2017
  #1157
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I've got a DPO and an STO: The 0-Coast oscillator is still equivalent to half a DPO. STO doesn't offer triangle or square outputs. The 'overtone' and 'multiply' controls are unique to the 0-Coast, but if I had to guess from the demos I've heard of 0-Coast, it sounds like they're variations of the Fold, Angle, and Shape control from DPO. Though it may look it, an STO isn't simply half of a DPO.



0-Coast is still going to be the cheaper option if you want to sound like a 0-Coast.



Totally. I was ruminating on that myself just last night. If I sold the modular, I could afford a TI2 again, a couple Electribes, an SH32, an AX60, and just basically all the synths I used to use that gave me the sounds that I made the most music with, and none of the tuning issues that come from analog signals. In spite of the work it takes for me to build even the simplest of patches for composition, this still gives me the most joy.

I have a TI2 which hardly gets used now, it's very versatile and was my first step into hardware synths but I never quite liked the sound. It's a bit love and hate, sometimes I like it. The Slim Phatty, Alpha Juno I like, even the digital sounding Juno G, and I have a JV2080 I have had for 4 months but haven't explored yet. Modular has taken me away from all these mainly because my time is taken up patching and not composing (but I guess some people would say patching is part of composing. For me it is sound design and I never get to the composing part much. I am still learning though and guess it will become easier.) I do really enjoy modular; I wouldn't ever think of creating sounds like modular on a TI2 for example but it may influence things when I go back to it. I need to be more forceful and try to integrate modular with my synths, which was my intention when I started.
Old 30th January 2017
  #1158
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I have a TI2 which hardly gets used now, it's very versatile and was my first step into hardware synths but I never quite liked the sound. It's a bit love and hate, sometimes I like it. The Slim Phatty, Alpha Juno I like, even the digital sounding Juno G, and I have a JV2080 I have had for 4 months but haven't explored yet. Modular has taken me away from all these mainly because my time is taken up patching and not composing (but I guess some people would say patching is part of composing. For me it is sound design and I never get to the composing part much. I am still learning though and guess it will become easier.) I do really enjoy modular; I wouldn't ever think of creating sounds like modular on a TI2 for example but it may influence things when I go back to it. I need to be more forceful and try to integrate modular with my synths, which was my intention when I started.
I feel you on the love/hate with the TI2. In general, I wasn't ever really that happy with the sound quality of it (it sounded kinda muffled compared to other VA's), but I loved it because I could work fast with it. There was an album I put out where the composition stage was done with the TI2 and an MPC1000, and the Virus tracks were swapped out for analog during mixdown.

In general, I'm happy having gone all-modular, but I do sometimes miss the expediency of fixed-architecture synths, especially VA's.
Old 30th January 2017
  #1159
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
really? I've been trying to figure out how, but I don't think it actually does that sort of thing. from what I dug into the scales available don't let you chose the intonation, just the intervals.
I havent tried it myself but I have seen people talk about it on the big Muffwiggler thread about O and C –the developers are v. active there, so posting there will get you the info I bet.
Old 30th January 2017
  #1160
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by frico View Post
I havent tried it myself but I have seen people talk about it on the big Muffwiggler thread about O and C –the developers are v. active there, so posting there will get you the info I bet.
Quartermain allows for customs scales. See the documentation here ...

https://github.com/mxmxmx/O_C/wiki/V1.2--documentation
Old 30th January 2017
  #1161
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
What was Sonic Potions showing at NAMM last year?
Sorry it wasn't NAMM it was Superbooth

1
Share
Old 30th January 2017
  #1162
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Ive realised I have lost focus whilst building my Eurorack,
When i first started my idea was to build a machine that would gave me sound bites of happy accidents that i could use to build tracks or to spawn ideas in my DAW.
Now i find myself trying to build a machine that can play a track live which was never my goal to begin with.

Think I've got to go back to my original idea and stop trying to build a machine that does everything.

Last edited by cane creek; 30th January 2017 at 09:22 PM..
6
Share
Old 30th January 2017
  #1163
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Ive realised I have lost focus whilst building my Eurorack,
When i first started my idea was to build a machine that would gave me sound bites of happy accidents that i could use to build tracks or to spawn ideas in my DAW.
Now i find myself trying build a machine that can play a track live which was never my goal to begin with.

Think I've got to go back to my original idea and stop trying to build a machine that does everything.
I think most of us lose track of what our Euroracks were supposed to be. Mine was supposed to be an expansion for a Vostok. Then, it was supposed to be a sample source. Now it's got so much going on, and so much of it I have no intention of ever putting in my music. Sequencers like Circadian Rhythms, Knit Rider, and Stillson Hammer have no practical purpose for me, and yet I have them. I don't do generative music or euro-centric compositions unless I'm goofing around, but still all the components are there. (Less some logic and clock division. I really need to get some of that eventually.)
1
Share
Old 30th January 2017
  #1164
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I think most of us lose track of what our Euroracks were supposed to be. Mine was supposed to be an expansion for a Vostok. Then, it was supposed to be a sample source. Now it's got so much going on, and so much of it I have no intention of ever putting in my music. Sequencers like Circadian Rhythms, Knit Rider, and Stillson Hammer have no practical purpose for me, and yet I have them. I don't do generative music or euro-centric compositions unless I'm goofing around, but still all the components are there. (Less some logic and clock division. I really need to get some of that eventually.)
I think /most of (strikethrough)/ some of modular music is intellectualising, nothing wrong with that but most people don't use it for practical music application in an East Coast sense. The West Coast thing comes from 70's hippy intellectualisation, socialist idealism and experimentation that is reflected in the music. Stuff like Aphex for me is the happy medium between electro/ambient intelligent music and composition. And I'm looking for a practical application to be able to use it but modular as a subject in itself is interesting but I don't think I'm in that camp. Or at least I hope I can find my way back, retrace my footsteps and haven't strayed to far into the forest off the well trodden path. Eeks, maybe there isn't a way back!

Who are some of your favourite electronica or modular artists btw? The obvious of course is Richard Devine, I find his stuff interesting in an intellectual and experimental way. I actually have to contradict myself, just listening to this is very musical.

https://vimeo.com/136165676
Old 30th January 2017
  #1165
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I think most of modular music is intellectualising...
See, saying sh*t like that is exactly why everybody else thinks that us modular enthusiasts are a bunch of elitists.
1
Share
Old 30th January 2017
  #1166
Lives for gear
 
Hokut's Avatar
 

to me just sound sources, no matter what people calls specific modules/technics... east-coast... west-coast...
In my case is for both, sound snippets and ideas... and creating tracks within the modular setup... But right now it's off because I am doing some DIY room treatment therefore it's all not plugged in.
Old 30th January 2017
  #1167
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
See, saying sh*t like that is exactly why everybody else thinks that us modular enthusiasts are a bunch of elitists.
Yes, I should take that back. A lot of it is very musical but some of it is like that and I think that sometimes. Maybe I should just replace intellectualising with just 'bad music' or 'noise'. Really enjoying this Richard Devine one.
Old 30th January 2017
  #1168
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Ive realised I have lost focus whilst building my Eurorack,
When i first started my idea was to build a machine that would gave me sound bites of happy accidents that i could use to build tracks or to spawn ideas in my DAW.
Now i find myself trying to build a machine that can play a track live which was never my goal to begin with.

Think I've got to go back to my original idea and stop trying to build a machine that does everything.
I've been going through this too. I mean it's super fun to create a big self generating monster patch but it rarely translates into anything I'd want to listen to more than a few times. OTOH I feel like I was really stagnating when I was writing 100% ITB and only using OTB synths for sample fodder. I just have zero motivation to go back to DAW based arranging but the only other way I've written music other than recording live is my MPC days. So I'm hoping these new MPCs pan out and I can find my musical happy place. I still love the ol BSP for jamming but I think I've pushed it about as far as I can for more complex arrangements.
1
Share
Old 30th January 2017
  #1169
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
See I still love my DAW for recording and arranging, I couldn't really focus long and deep and hard enough to construct whole tracks on the modular, well I could and I have but they are very simple in structure as I'm worried about making mistakes during the recording. I'd rather free myself of that worry and just record anything and everything and go fishing for good stuff when done then arrange. As I always like to pad out with a rompler or hardware synth this method is my fav..
2
Share
Old 30th January 2017
  #1170
Lives for gear
 
Kubase's Avatar
I freak out if something cool isn't printed to my hard drive, so I'll patch until I have something that could be something, record it and then chop into phrases. Rinse and repeat. I end up with loads of clips in Bitwigs launcher which I then sequence, automate, etc. I like the idea of a huge multi-voice patch playing itself but my main focus has always been recording and building tracks.
2
Share
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump