The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
you are going to have to put them in one at a time until you find the dodgy module, I've had to do this numerous times and it's the only way to trouble shoot..
culprit was the the O&C - i connected it a little off to the left.
everything's now OK (knocks on wood)
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Really been playing around with clock stuff lately now that I've got all my clock modules next to each other, and incorporating more functionality from the WMD SSM. It's amazing what that thing can do. So flippin fun.

Oh, and Thomas White LPG can do some really nice kick drums just pinging it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringostar View Post
Thanks, and I want to get different answers from everyone with that question.
The problem with different answers from everyone is you're going to get every oscillator, envelope, LFO, filter and VCA recommended to you.

So if I were you, I'd look for a versatile VCO whose sound you really like. You can look at the most popular VCOs on modulargrid, watch some of the videos showing off just the oscillator and narrow it down to a couple. Digital, analog, whatever, just find something with a decent amount of versatility and something you really like the sound of. One that I find pretty interesting, seems to be rarely recommended for a first VCO, and very versatile, although sound-wise it just is a bit harsher than what I do, is the Loquelic Iteritas.

Now, if I were starting over, I think it would be interesting to start with a West Coast design and add a wavefolder/shaper, LPG or LPG/VCA combo and LFO. I think I would have had more fun exploring that way than the method I'm more familiar with - subtractive synthesis. So you can try that, or go the subtractive route.

Wasp, Polivoks, Three Sisters, Xaoc Belgrad are all interesting filters to start with, if you don't go the LPG route and they seem to be pretty popular for starters, although the Belgrad was just released.

CV Trinity by Bastl, Batumi and others for LFO duties. Trinity will give you envelopes and LFOs. There's a reason Batumi has been incredibly difficult to get a hold of in the past. Not only is it a modulation beast, but it actually has a very intuitive UI. So for LFOs, that's one of the tops for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummel View Post
And yeah, batumi looks amazing! I'm not all that sure that I want rings in this rack, it's really nice but I'm thinking I might want more options straight away so have been concidering braids. But then all that modulation seems kind of wasted as the braids don't really have many cv-inputs... So have been looking at wavetable modules as well, E350 amongst others (and sheep, but really hard to find nice demos of it..) Can sheep sound nice as well? Mainly find harsh stuff (that I do enjoy) but I would like it to be able to sounds pretty as well

Just friends (and the rest om whimsical raps's modules) seems really cool, but they are all a bit confusing to me Will have to look harder into them!
I don't have a Just Friends yet, but I will someday. I do have the Batumi though and it's a workhorse for sure. The different modes are fantastic once you realize what's going on.

A lot of the demos of wavetables have some pretty harsh sounds. The E350 has a reputation for being softer in the sounds for a wavetable. But, if you turn on the glitch mode and phasing via jumpers on the back, it can bring out more gnarl. It's a fantastic sounding oscillator.
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Well if you're doing the Aira thing and still want to stick to the pedalboard plan, I think a couple things you might want to look at are some LFO's, and an envelope follower. If you're processing guitar, there's a lot you can do:

Actually the pedal board thing literally was just the form factor I was thinking, to setup with some of my other junk. Processing guitar isn't my primary focus.

Thanks
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I was just wondering is it possible to create lush pad sounds on modular. I assume it must be but I have never heard pad sounds in any demos, mostly not even nice sounds, as the preference seems to be West Coast aggressive; noise n sharp plucks. I think it's my mission to try. A nice chorus/reverb and 2 voices should be able to do it. I don't see why a modular can't be as effective as a analogue synth at this stuff.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi...c.php?p=595221
A couple other things to explore before buying, but may help in your quest for nice pad sounds in modular, are the Verbos Hamonic Oscillator, Just Friends in Audio Mode and 4ms SMR to add harmonic content to your sounds.

The Qu-bit Chord is a nice way to get chord functionality into your rack, but it doesn't really have the sound design capabilities I'd look for with pads. There are other options from a chord perspective as well. 4Vox I believe is one?
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
So I moved a bunch of stuff around in my cases and a bunch of my modules are blinking at powerup.
turn it off and try it again - bunch of modules are blinking. THIS ISN"T NORMAL.

- all my power connectors are plugged in properly
I'm running at 50% my PSU power rating.
ideas?
I'm a little scared. don't want to break stuff

two Doepfer lowcost9U cases with Doepfer A-100PSU3 in each. rated 2000mA +12V | 1200mA -12V | 2000mA 5v
left case power consumption is; 1067mA +12V | 697mA -12V | 50mA 5V
right case power consumption is; 1025mA +12V | 442mA -12V | 0mA 5V
Check to make sure your ribbons are all oriented the right way. Remember, 'red stripe down' isn't a rule that's ever been set in stone, so double-check what the module says before assuming.
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
great advice from Derp there..
Sorry, it won't happen again.
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
Actually the pedal board thing literally was just the form factor I was thinking, to setup with some of my other junk. Processing guitar isn't my primary focus.

Thanks
Am I at least remembering correctly that you already have the Airas? If so, I'd still recommend against putting them in a 'real' case. Those things suck down ridiculous amounts of power for Euro. They're 450ma each, times four, that's 1.8 amps. Mantis cases only supply three amps of power, so that's well over half your power with more than half the space left over.

Since cost is a factor for you, what about a DIY solution? Like a 9u rack, three sets of rails, and a power supply (a uZeus even with the starter power supply, supplies enough juice to usually power two rows, up to six if you get a higher power supply), that way you can keep the Airas on their own wall warts.
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Any of you own the Waldorf NW1 and/or the Trogotronic Boss Hog?

I'm interested in first hand impressions/opinions on these particular Voices.
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Interesting I've never pinged it with Grids, i'll have to give that a whirl
Yeah man, set morph relatively high, have an LFO to rotate, an LFO to spread, an LFO to resonance, bank to Indian pentatonic or Western scale, and move the scale around the center three or four points. Fire the kick output of the Grids into the Odd input and snare into Even. Around 85bpm with some delay and magic happens!
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
The problem with different answers from everyone is you're going to get every oscillator, envelope, LFO, filter and VCA recommended to you.

So if I were you, I'd look for a versatile VCO whose sound you really like. You can look at the most popular VCOs on modulargrid, watch some of the videos showing off just the oscillator and narrow it down to a couple. Digital, analog, whatever, just find something with a decent amount of versatility and something you really like the sound of. One that I find pretty interesting, seems to be rarely recommended for a first VCO, and very versatile, although sound-wise it just is a bit harsher than what I do, is the Loquelic Iteritas.
Been doing this and so far the most interesting osc I've listened to is the Telharmonic, Verbos Harmoic Osc, and Sputnik Dual Osc, although those last two were either past what I wanted to spend on an initial osc or right at the limit, thus the question to open some options.

The Loquelic was something I hadn't even looked at yet though and while it does have a harsh side it still has a great other side that's really appealing so thanks for recommending it.

Quote:
Now, if I were starting over, I think it would be interesting to start with a West Coast design and add a wavefolder/shaper, LPG or LPG/VCA combo and LFO. I think I would have had more fun exploring that way than the method I'm more familiar with - subtractive synthesis. So you can try that, or go the subtractive route.
From the osc's I've been looking at I probably do want to go more west coast than east cost which I'm familiar with. The Verbos stuff sounds fantastic, but god damn is it pricey.

Quote:
Wasp, Polivoks, Three Sisters, Xaoc Belgrad are all interesting filters to start with, if you don't go the LPG route and they seem to be pretty popular for starters, although the Belgrad was just released.

CV Trinity by Bastl, Batumi and others for LFO duties. Trinity will give you envelopes and LFOs. There's a reason Batumi has been incredibly difficult to get a hold of in the past. Not only is it a modulation beast, but it actually has a very intuitive UI. So for LFOs, that's one of the tops for sure.
Batumi and CV Trinity have been on my radar, but I'm actually a bit shocked that there hasn't been more said for Maths since I see that module recommended everywhere (and understanding what it does I'm not surprised), but still it's good to see I was sort of on the right track modulation wise.

As for filters, Three Sisters was the only one that I liked out of those but I was already leaning towards a LPG/VCA instead of a VCF/VCA.

The "short list" of things I was looking at for an initial system was Telharmonic, Octocontroller or Batumi, Clouds or Rings, plus an Aira module that I already have if that gives you a better idea of where I'm looking to go.
Old 29th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
culprit was the the O&C - i connected it a little off to the left.
everything's now OK (knocks on wood)
very easy to do especially with open Doepfer bus boards, my poor eyes sight and dark cramped spaces in the back of euro cases and it's easy to miss aligned a module or two..
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Loquelic was something I hadn't even looked at yet though and while it does have a harsh side it still has a great other side that's really appealing so thanks for recommending it.

Batumi and CV Trinity have been on my radar, but I'm actually a bit shocked that there hasn't been more said for Maths since I see that module recommended everywhere (and understanding what it does I'm not surprised), but still it's good to see I was sort of on the right track modulation wise.

As for filters, Three Sisters was the only one that I liked out of those but I was already leaning towards a LPG/VCA instead of a VCF/VCA.

The "short list" of things I was looking at for an initial system was Telharmonic, Octocontroller or Batumi, Clouds or Rings, plus an Aira module that I already have if that gives you a better idea of where I'm looking to go.
Yeah, I'm not sure why the Loquelic doesn't get more starter love. The people that have it absolutely love it, and it can really do a lot of different things.

Maths is an excellent module, and I'd recommend it to anyone who has the space. As far as first CV, I think it can be a bit confusing to newcomers. If you're looking to go more West Coast, I think this would be a really good LFO/EG/attenuverter for you.

That looks like a good start + LPG/VCA. One thing to keep in mind is if you get an LPG that can't also attenuate the signal, you'll have a very hot signal running into your miser/interface. And many people use Clouds as an effect and Rings as a voice, although I've found Rings can provide some nice effect type stuff in certain scenarios, and Clouds can provide some nice voice type stuff as well - especially when you sample a sound into it and modulate the position.
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Aphex Twin techniques. Can anyone offer any tips?

How do you get those farty bass sounds in 'On'. Is that just envelope - AR and some modulation in there as well. I've done some close farty bass using Maths. The other sounds are clocked delay?

Donkey Rhubarb. Is the classic LPG bongo sound?

But I was really more interested in this dirty lil' one. How do you get that laser sound. And the nice acid sounds are the filter?

He used the Alesis Quadraverb on this. Is there a Eurorack equivalent module? Will any good reverb do?

Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quantizers:

which quantizers let me change the intonation tuning? do any offer just intonation, Pythagorean tuning & Equal temperament?... and explore some others.
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Donkey Rhubarb. Is the classic LPG bongo sound?

But I was really more interested in this dirty lil' one. How do you get that laser sound. And the nice acid sounds are the filter?
Those "bongo sounds" sound like steel drums to me. I don't think it's any kind of synthesis, perhaps samples. Steel drums are very popular in music from the Carribean.

You can get a laser sound by modulating the pitch of an oscillator. Take your Maths Sum out into the VCO's V/Oct input. Adjust channel 2 or 3 to get the pitch you want from your oscillator. Now trigger either channel 1 or 4 and turn up the attenuverter for ch 1 or 4. Make sure your rise and fall settings are somewhat long. Adjust to taste.

I didn't really hear any acid in that tune, but I think I know what you're talking about. To make acid, yes you want a good filter. Take a filter with good resonance, turn it up past 3/4 (watch speakers/headphones when doing this), pass in a square or saw wave oscillator into the filter, set the filter's cutoff fairly high. (mid to higher) You should hear squelchy acid type tones. Take cutoff down to get rid of some of the acid. Now modulate the cutoff while playing with the resonance. If you have something to modulate the resonance, have fun.
Old 29th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Quantizers:

which quantizers let me change the intonation tuning? do any offer just intonation, Pythagorean tuning & Equal temperament?... and explore some others.
Ornament and Crime
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Those "bongo sounds" sound like steel drums to me. I don't think it's any kind of synthesis, perhaps samples. Steel drums are very popular in music from the Carribean.

You can get a laser sound by modulating the pitch of an oscillator. Take your Maths Sum out into the VCO's V/Oct input. Adjust channel 2 or 3 to get the pitch you want from your oscillator. Now trigger either channel 1 or 4 and turn up the attenuverter for ch 1 or 4. Make sure your rise and fall settings are somewhat long. Adjust to taste.

I didn't really hear any acid in that tune, but I think I know what you're talking about. To make acid, yes you want a good filter. Take a filter with good resonance, turn it up past 3/4 (watch speakers/headphones when doing this), pass in a square or saw wave oscillator into the filter, set the filter's cutoff fairly high. (mid to higher) You should hear squelchy acid type tones. Take cutoff down to get rid of some of the acid. Now modulate the cutoff while playing with the resonance. If you have something to modulate the resonance, have fun.
Yes, Listening again you are right it does sound like a sample. I've been wanting to try a laser sound for some time. Thanks
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

and CV Trinity have been on my radar, but I'm actually a bit shocked that there hasn't been more said for Maths since I see that module recommended everywhere
If this thread was about running one would assume you already had a pair of legs
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummel View Post
I'm probably getting one, because it seems like it could turn basically any sequencer into a "bsp with even more functionality" (CV-connection wise). As I'm getting interested in having the digitakt as a main-sequencer (If it's any good with external stuff, which I guess it will) this could take it to the "next level" if you will

Not very fond of working with the BSP, but for the price it's cool!
You have me interested in this now as I want more CV gates and be able to assign other midi CC's. Shame it's not usb, I hate fiddling around with midi 5 pin to usb converters. I hope it is easy to use. How can you beat this for the number of CV's you get?

The digitakt looks good and expensive. My friend btw mentioned the squarp to me.

Pyramid Standalone Sequencer Introduction
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

I'm using the Pyramid to sequence everything in my studio, including the modular. I love this thing, and the more I explore it the more I find it to be the ideal sequencer for my needs, quite intuitive and inspiring.
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

MDLR 12u Performance Case

Below is a picture of the my new 12u MDLR Performance case. How is it? It feels hand made in both a good and bad way. The good is that it’s built like a rock, maybe a bit too heavy. The bad is that it’s already got a few chips, especially a bad one on the inside. It’s not visible but would affect potential resale value. I’d send it back save the shipping costs and time of transporting it back to Europe. The edges could also really use an acrylic coat. I’ve already got a chip there, but masked it with a touch of Sharpie. The hardware and outside surfacing are nicely done though.

Now comes the real question, would I carry this thing around patched. Probably not. The process of removing the insert isn’t easy, and requires sliding the lids off the hinges. I don’t think I’d ever risk ripping patch cords out doing that. Also, the hinges are painted(?) and hard to slide out. I’ll probably strip them and add some synthetic grease to make the process “less violent”.

Is it worth $1000? I’m on the edge. Two Mantis cases would run me about $730 after taxes (if I could buy a second). Add in the cost of Yarns, which I somehow broke the encoder off the first time I took my rack out of the house; I’m paying for peace of mind. I’ve also got some beefy power supplies, Doepfer PSU3’s, but they’re a pain to deal with, limiting case depth in certain regions (I never had to worry about depth with the Mantis).

I really like the ergonomics with the insert acting as a stand. Feels much more fun to work with than the Mantis. I’ll probably do a bit more of a module shuffle one I get my last two pieces, putting the screen and menu based modules on the bottom half.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-mdlr_case.jpg  
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Interesting I've never pinged it with Grids, i'll have to give that a whirl
Here, now you don't have to try it yourself:

Moguls:
EMW Alias DVCO
Analogue Solutions BD99
Make Noise Mysteron
Pittsburgh Verbtronic
Bubblesound SEM20
Doepfer SSM Low Pass Filter
Harvestman Piston Honda mkII
Doepfer Quad LFO
Mutable Branches
Analogue Solutions Adaptor
Blue Lantern BMX
Dave Smith DSM02
EMW Snare Lab 101
Bastl CV Trinity
Flame FX-16
Qu-Bit RT60
Blue Lantern Mini Shimmery
Intellijel Unity Mixer
Mutable Streams
Mutable Grids
Analogue Solutions Oberkorn
EMW VCF-SYN12
Mutable Tides
Analog Ordnance Shrapnel
TipTop Circadian Rhythms
Bastl Grandpa
Audio Damage Aeverb
TipTop Z-DSP
4ms Spectral Multiband Resonator
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Derp that's right I forgot he slimmed it down. I cursed your wallet now you're trying to curse mine!

New joint featuring Avalon into the VCF-303 because everybody needs two 303s or something like that...also finally got around to using the Octocontroller for one of the main reasons I bought it: to toss 6 S&H gates at the SMR (looks like Derp was up to something similar with Grids in the previous post).
Old 29th January 2017
Quote:
but I'm actually a bit shocked that there hasn't been more said for Maths since I see that module recommended everywhere (and understanding what it does I'm not surprised), but still it's good to see I was sort of on the right track modulation wise.
Maths is so ubiquitous now that it has essentially "jumped the shark" in cool factor (even my wife knows about how great Maths is) and the trend for some newer folks is to try really hard to avoid putting Maths in their rack to the point where anyone recommending runs the risk of coming off like a fanboi for simply stating the obvious about its usefulness and many possibilities. Fortunately I remain as uncool as ever and still think Maths belongs in nearly any system, I still fantasize about the stuff I could do with 2 of them...it will never stop being a very practical yet magical module.
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Below is a picture of the my new 12u MDLR Performance case.
That empty 1hp in the top row makes me want to punch a baby.
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here, now you don't have to try it yourself:

Moguls:
EMW Alias DVCO
Analogue Solutions BD99
Make Noise Mysteron
Pittsburgh Verbtronic
Bubblesound SEM20
Doepfer SSM Low Pass Filter
Harvestman Piston Honda mkII
Doepfer Quad LFO
Mutable Branches
Analogue Solutions Adaptor
Blue Lantern BMX
Dave Smith DSM02
EMW Snare Lab 101
Bastl CV Trinity
Flame FX-16
Qu-Bit RT60
Blue Lantern Mini Shimmery
Intellijel Unity Mixer
Mutable Streams
Mutable Grids
Analogue Solutions Oberkorn
EMW VCF-SYN12
Mutable Tides
Analog Ordnance Shrapnel
TipTop Circadian Rhythms
Bastl Grandpa
Audio Damage Aeverb
TipTop Z-DSP
4ms Spectral Multiband Resonator
Been building shelves today unfortunately not the Mutable shelves but shelves for the wife, so no time for wiggling.
I can hear SMR straight away it sounds great, this track has inspired me to delve deeper with SMR.
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That empty 1hp in the top row makes me want to punch a baby.
Agreed. Odd width modules should be outlawed!
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Derp that's right I forgot he slimmed it down. I cursed your wallet now you're trying to curse mine!
So you just revenge double-cursed my wallet. I forgot I wanted to get a 303 filter in my rack until I listened to your vid. I got an A-103 early on thinking that would get me close enough, but it really didn't. What's tempting is to see if I can get some folks together to a group buy for these:

Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So you just revenge double-cursed my wallet. I forgot I wanted to get a 303 filter in my rack until I listened to your vid. I got an A-103 early on thinking that would get me close enough, but it really didn't. What's tempting is to see if I can get some folks together to a group buy for these:

Damn tasty. I wouldn't have the bravery to attempt soldering though. I see they have a crowd supply campaign to offer an assembled version. Is that what you meant? Getting a group together to purchase a 5 pack?

x0x-heart | Open Music Labs

Open Music Labs
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Just looked through my pile of PCB's and I've got the xox Heart mainboard & Pacemaker control board so id only need a panel,
although it would make life easier for myself to buy an assembled Mainboard from Synthcube for $79 as it would cost me more to build once you add the time and effort.

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search