The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 28th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringostar View Post
If this is the case, what would you (anyone really) recommend for someone starting out? Obviously one of the modules should be an oscillator, one should be a modulator (adsr/lfo), and then some sort of filter/vca. This assumes someone has a sequencer like a beatstep or sq-1 or a synth that has CV out already.

What's a good top 3-5 modules for each of those categories for someone just starting?
You will get a different answer from everyone but mine would be-
1-3
Osc: Braids or Spectrum
Mod: Maths or Batumi
Filter: Ripples or Polaris

4 and 5 would be VCA's or utilities to really dial these or any other modules in properly. Basically every purchase of a modulator or oscillator should be followed by a utility module of some sort and then a VCA or things can get out of control pretty quickly IMO. YMMV of course.
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just sold my Sub37
Do you mind sharing why you sold it?
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Do you mind sharing why you sold it?
I actually preferred the tone of the Mother compared to it, so I picked up an AJH minimod oscillator to pair with that. The Sub is a monster of a synth - it just wasn't seeing much use, even before my dip into modular.
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
You will get a different answer from everyone but mine would be-
1-3
Osc: Braids or Spectrum
Mod: Maths or Batumi
Filter: Ripples or Polaris

4 and 5 would be VCA's or utilities to really dial these or any other modules in properly. Basically every purchase of a modulator or oscillator should be followed by a utility module of some sort and then a VCA or things can get out of control pretty quickly IMO. YMMV of course.
Thanks, and I want to get different answers from everyone with that question.
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would go with that (biased of course) as I started with a Braids, Polaris and Maths. But since I got Omikron I like the sound of a pure analogue oscillator and find this is what I am really interested in. Braids is great, don't get me wrong and is very versatile if you want to play around with different voices, but something of a purist in me likes straight analogue waveforms. So depending on what you like, you could just start with a simpler analogue oscillator. The advantage of Braids, someone pointed out to me, as well as some other digital oscillators, is that it has a built VCA but I have never used it. I own Polaris and it has a nice clean character but I prefer the sounds of AMsynths JP8 and Erica Polivoks which for me have more character, much better for meaty wide sounds but if I wanted a clean lead I would use Polaris. Hope that helps. Another digital oscillator that is worth looking at is the Harvestman Herz Donut. Other than that I really like Peaks I use mostly for envelopes and useful tap trigger I use a lot for rehearsing sounds, and Veils is a great mixer and VCA that is used in every patch.
Old 28th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
If this is the case, what would you (anyone really) recommend for someone starting out? Obviously one of the modules should be an oscillator, one should be a modulator (adsr/lfo), and then some sort of filter/vca. This assumes someone has a sequencer like a beatstep or sq-1 or a synth that has CV out already.

What's a good top 3-5 modules for each of those categories for someone just starting?
I don't know if this is what you want to hear, but for me the mother 32 was a really, really good starting point. BUT I wanted to dip my toe into eurorack aswell as get a synth with the moog-sound, so for me it was a 2 birds with 1 stone kind of situation. Then you can expand it in due time
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummel View Post
On another note, on midi to cv conversion: I have the BSP now but It doesnt really quite fit my ideas now since I realised how easy it is to integrate hardware synths with ableton. I dont really like softsynths (use ableton for drums, effects and arrangement) so in building the modular I'm aiming to build a nice "Hardware vst" if you will. Id rather have a midi to cv interface that DOESNT take space in my rack. And I found this thing, seems amazing AND very affordable! Anyone tried it and have anything to say about it?

https://www.tindie.com/products/hotc...idi-to-cv-box/

Been through most of the 2016 thread now and all here, thanks for all inspiration and what not!

The CV.OCD looks good considering number of CV outs and that they are assignable. I have a CVpal and I am going to get the Beatstep Pro but was thinking just today why don't they have more than two CV/Gate outs.
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Derp you might know this already but there was a DIY guy (who was also offering finished modules) doing a 6hp Juno Chorus module, both modes. They were super deep, modulargrid says 117mm (was why I scrapped it from my plan, my Dark Modular can only take up to 60mm). Can't recall the name of the manu but the module is called 106 Chorus.
Didn't JanOST do those before he starting doing all those shoddy drum modules? Actually, I don't the the Juno modules were ever made...I think he said Roland came after him because of the marketing or something. Regardless, I wouldn't give that dude a dime based on everything I've read.
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree with that, Braids is about the most flexible digital OSC out there. I started with Braids, Maths, Peaks, Veils, and Evolution. Evolution is a a bit expensive (I wanted the Emulator sound for my rack). All of those modules should have a long life in your rack as you grow.

If you have patience for the interface, a Disting would also come in handy. Also, Peaks has an alternative firmware available for it with some really nice generative functions.
Old 29th January 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Didn't JanOST do those before he starting doing all those shoddy drum modules? Actually, I don't the the Juno modules were ever made...I think he said Roland came after him because of the marketing or something. Regardless, I wouldn't give that dude a dime based on everything I've read.
No, that's not right. The company that makes the juno chorus is called FEEDBACK. They make a few other things. The newer version on Modular Addict is SMD and not very deep anymore. You have to hunt down the bbd chips though.
Old 29th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
The CV.OCD looks good considering number of CV outs and that they are assignable. I have a CVpal and I am going to get the Beatstep Pro but was thinking just today why don't they have more than two CV/Gate outs.
I'm probably getting one, because it seems like it could turn basically any sequencer into a "bsp with even more functionality" (CV-connection wise). As I'm getting interested in having the digitakt as a main-sequencer (If it's any good with external stuff, which I guess it will) this could take it to the "next level" if you will

Not very fond of working with the BSP, but for the price it's cool!
Old 29th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Looks a lot like my first row.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/228355

It really came alive when I added the BSP. My patches usually involved Peaks in one of its drum modes along with the hats module triggered by 4 of the drum triggers. Rings controlled by one of the v/0 sequencers and some combination of Dixies2/STO on the other.

What eventually pushed me to expand (other than Clouds hype which was fever pitched at the time) was the lack of modulation with Peaks being stuck in drum mode. I Added ultra random, a second Dixie for LFOs and a pipslope which opened up a huge variety of patching options. Also I got more drum modules and so I can explore all the other stuff on Peaks.

However you have a Butami in there which is a modulation monster. So maybe you won't run into that. I was dead set on a Butami and waiting fro ctrl-mod to get them back in stock when I started looking at Just Friends. Eventually settled on JF because I like the alternate modes better. It can do LFOs, envelopes and act as a harmonic VCO. Any of you guys looking at Tides - check out JF. It's similar but you have 6(!) outputs which can give you all kinds quadrature functions..
Similarish yeah! I was trying to fit the optomix in there as well but really dont want to take out to much, that's when I realised I might as well just make it functional to play with the mother 32 and just add the optomix into the next rack. Then I dont have to worry to much about the space here.

I can imagine, have the BSP so when I can play the rack I will try if for sure. The drums in peaks are quite nice and also a reason for me wanting the optomix, for the pseudo-sidechain compression that you can get quite easily.. Sounds like I will go the sameish way as you The STO seems kind of cool but I'm opting for the 0-coast, and from what I've gathered the OSC in there is a bit like the STO, right?

And yeah, batumi looks amazing! I'm not all that sure that I want rings in this rack, it's really nice but I'm thinking I might want more options straight away so have been concidering braids. But then all that modulation seems kind of wasted as the braids don't really have many cv-inputs... So have been looking at wavetable modules as well, E350 amongst others (and sheep, but really hard to find nice demos of it..) Can sheep sound nice as well? Mainly find harsh stuff (that I do enjoy) but I would like it to be able to sounds pretty as well

Just friends (and the rest om whimsical raps's modules) seems really cool, but they are all a bit confusing to me Will have to look harder into them!
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummel View Post
Not very fond of working with the BSP, but for the price it's cool!
If you got a midi to CV interface have a look at ZAQuencer + BCR 2000.

Pricewise its in the same ballpark.. gives you 4 tracks with 32 steps. Every track has 2 additional modulation lanes that go nicely with CC, aftertouch, etc.

I like it more than the BSP. Matter of taste i guess.
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
If you got a midi to CV interface have a look at ZAQuencer + BCR 2000.

Pricewise its in the same ballpark.. gives you 4 tracks with 32 steps. Every track has 2 additional modulation lanes that go nicely with CC, aftertouch, etc.

I like it more than the BSP. Matter of taste i guess.
Looks interesting but where are the CV gate outs?
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

i had friends around last night, plenty of Alcohol, Rings, Clouds, Batumi, Maths and a splash of Eventide space was all we needed.
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Dooooooood...

I'm recalling a comment Cane made in last year's thread about the SMR being exemplary of the kind of thing he got into modular for. Man, I could listen to the resonators being pinged by Grids for hours. This is one BEAUTIFUL sounding module. I think Genshi should get one of these if he doesn't already have one. It's just the kind of thing I hear in his music.
Interesting I've never pinged it with Grids, i'll have to give that a whirl
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

So I moved a bunch of stuff around in my cases and a bunch of my modules are blinking at powerup.
turn it off and try it again - bunch of modules are blinking. THIS ISN"T NORMAL.

- all my power connectors are plugged in properly
I'm running at 50% my PSU power rating.
ideas?
I'm a little scared. don't want to break stuff

two Doepfer lowcost9U cases with Doepfer A-100PSU3 in each. rated 2000mA +12V | 1200mA -12V | 2000mA 5v
left case power consumption is; 1067mA +12V | 697mA -12V | 50mA 5V
right case power consumption is; 1025mA +12V | 442mA -12V | 0mA 5V
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
i had friends around last night, plenty of Alcohol, Rings, Clouds, , Maths and a splash of was all we needed.
You tortured your friends with modular noise or are you OCD and your friends are modular freaks? If so that makes sense
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Looks interesting but where are the CV gate outs?
"IF YOU HAVE A MIDI TO CV INTERFACE" was the preface
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
So I moved a bunch of stuff around in my cases and a bunch of my modules are blinking at powerup.
turn it off and try it again - bunch of modules are blinking. THIS ISN"T NORMAL.

ideas?

two Doepfer lowcost9U cases with Doepfer A-100PSU3 in each. rated 2000mA +12V | 1200mA -12V | 2000mA 5v
I had this a couple of times with the power blinking (not modules) that was due to a) having a connector the wrong way around or b) I thought it was too many amps being drawn but if I disconnected one module, turned it off, reconnected and turned it on again it was okay.

Disconnect a few modules and see if it's okay then try to reconnect them.
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
As for the Alias, not as cool as I thought.
If you're Murican, let me know when you get sick of her and I'll buy it off of you. I love mine. Even compared to Braids, I think it's wonderful. This thing just screams early VA to me and I'd love to have a second one.
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbow View Post
"IF YOU HAVE A MIDI TO CV INTERFACE" was the preface
Well not exactly I was asking about the BSP as I would like to have more CV/gates.
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogia View Post
Tremendous prose here derp, and thanks very much for the good report—we try to satisfy This really lit up my night. The TS8106 is available despite the SE site blackout RIGHT NOW! Hit up Greg 3106403546 for details/retailers/snake oil salesman alerts.

MSR
Thanks, Marc. ...I luv you. I'm a bit strapped for cash right now for a purchase that large, but I'll definitely be hitting you up late next month if they haven't made their way into stores yet. YOU'RE AWESOME AND YOUR ENTRIES INTO EUROCRACK THUSFAR HAVE BEEN AWESOME!!! (Also loving me that Quadnic!)
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Derp you might know this already but there was a DIY guy (who was also offering finished modules) doing a 6hp Juno Chorus module, both modes. They were super deep, modulargrid says 117mm (was why I scrapped it from my plan, my Dark Modular can only take up to 60mm). Can't recall the name of the manu but the module is called 106 Chorus.
Yeah, he sells them on Muff's. I'll admit that I've come close to pulling the trigger multiple times...

Actually, I was about to complain about the high cost, but looks like he's cut it back quite a bit. One will be mine soon! Thanks for reminding me these exist and prompting me to look at the prices again!

...next month is going to be an expensive one between that chorus and the 8106.

EDIT: Also heads up if you're interested, looks like he makes a slim version now. 50mm
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
Forgive me for being behind the times and modular uncertified, I was kind of pricing out cases and such (always thought they are way expensive for what's they are..), and noticed the Tip Top mantis. Now, I know they aren't easily available now, and they don't have a lid (but have a bag, which might be sufficient), but the price and size is right. If was gonna maybe look at a small case anyway that seems like a fair value. I don't really think so much about needing a lot of modular sound generation, but I've been interested in video and some of the odder stuff anyway. Hrm
Well if you're doing the Aira thing and still want to stick to the pedalboard plan, I think a couple things you might want to look at are some LFO's, and an envelope follower. If you're processing guitar, there's a lot you can do:

Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I don't have one, but from what I've heard, a Super Sawtor might help do the trick.
Super Sawtor owner here: I don't think for his purposes it will get him where he needs. It's really just a sawtooth multiplier. It's cool as hell (gives everything a kind of a static digital sheen to it like a JP8080 supersaw), but I wouldn't use it for the kind of pads I'd call lush.
Old 29th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post

ideas?

you are going to have to put them in one at a time until you find the dodgy module, I've had to do this numerous times and it's the only way to trouble shoot..
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Like Slaughtr said, everyone's gonna have different answers, but here's mine:

1st - an Oscillator. Not a fancy digital one, just a great-sounding, fully featured analog VCO. It sounds like it's back to basics, but it kind of is. I learned more from a month of having just one VCO than I ever did with any fixed-architecture synth. With a single VCO, the question becomes "How far can I push this?" and you learn the delicious art of self-patching.

2nd - Another oscillator. Same sort of oscillator as the first. Bonus points if these oscillators can be slowed down to LFO's. Gives you time to learn the intricacies of cross-modulation from sync to linear and exponential FM to PWM modulation. By this point, the challenge will be to try to get something musical. I learned FM synthesis from a pair of Q106's. Also, gate-controlled LFO's resets are rad.

3rd - Envelope. You've got two oscillators you detune them. Than what? Time to finally find out!

4th - VCA. This to me is where everything is going to start to come together. Instead of using the VCA for just a final amplitude modulation, chain the oscillators together with the VCA in between and the envelope controlling the depth. Weird sync effects, modulated pitch depths, and the basis of West Coast synthesis (start with a sine and make it explode over time!) happen here.

5th - My heart says filter, but filters are easy to understand from the moment you get one, the only difference being that FM-ing filter parameters will become a new favorite trick. I'd say some form of waveshaper would be excellent here because then you get to take all those timbres you've been working with and push them even further.
Old 29th January 2017
Gear Guru

great advice from Derp there..
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
If you're Murican, let me know when you get sick of her and I'll buy it off of you. I love mine. Even compared to Braids, I think it's wonderful. This thing just screams early VA to me and I'd love to have a second one.
I've been playing with EMW Alias again today and may have second thoughts. Not the aliasing wonder I thought it was but it's great at doing sub-bass duties. Really like how the triangle wave table cuts through.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search