The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
FYI those are 500 series...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Former BSP owner here: You sure about that? I remember rather specifically being able to send CV/Gate on both channels and having access to the drum triggers as well.
Is midi timing really as bad as I hear modular afficionados say (just been watching Meet the Makers as below). I have never noticed the timing being out using CVpal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5EwEmmXFuU
Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

Timely discussion regarding Tides and the rest. I've been putting together a tentative collection of their modules and reading about them all quite a bit this week. Here's what I have so far (Maths and Pamela's are already in another tentative rack), not that I'd necessarily rack them all together or even stay with the grayscale theme - but for now they're all together:

Old 27th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Timely discussion regarding Tides and the rest. I've been putting together a tentative collection of their modules and reading about them all quite a bit this week. Here's what I have so far (Maths and Pamela's are already in another tentative rack), not that I'd necessarily rack them all together or even stay with the grayscale theme - but for now they're all together:

When you are newish to euro/modular themed or branded plans like this always seem like a good idea, but I have yet to see a rack actually end up this way. After some experience this becomes easier to understand why. In the meantime just buy a few modules and start playing around, this will help you figure out what you really need or want next.
Old 27th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
When you are newish to euro/modular themed or branded plans like this always seem like a good idea, but I have yet to see a rack actually end up this way. After some experience this becomes easier to understand why. In the meantime just buy a few modules and start playing around, this will help you figure out what you really need or want next.
I totally agree with you. I will say though, I started with a mutable centric system and I'm happy with my decision (I'm an MI fanboy). My little 6u has a whole row of mutable instruments stuff, because I love the aesthetic and design philosophies the modules follow. I think sticking to one brand can help you learn depending on the brand. Mutable has amazing manuals included where as doepfer (IME) don't include paper manuals. As you said though, it's hard to stick to one brand as you learn more and figure out what you want. It definitely looks pretty having everything from the same brand but you'll find once you fall in love with a particular module, it looks great in your case regardless of the brand.
Old 27th January 2017
Gear Head

Got a maths today My 5th module, been on and off about it because it takes up alot of space in my 104 hp skiff, buuut ultimately I decided for it. And I had to realise that I will buy another case for sure, even though I'm taking it quite slow (5 modules in since September, buying a new module every month or two months.)

The good thing with realising that I will get another case eventually (leaning towards the Mantis, can't see myself being much interested in more than 312 hp ever, will probably exchange modules more at that stage to build my ultimate rack at that point anyway.) I realised that I was trying to fit to many functions into small/multimodules in the 3U, and I felt that I dont really want to compromise to much. Got a mother 32 as well, so that's planned in (filter for the dixie for example.)

This is what the plan looks like so far: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/395257
Got Peaks, clouds, Maths, 4ms RCD so far (and a radio music). Thinking about wheter I should go with rings or something else (Wavetable modules comes to mind, kind of interested in Tides just to put sheep on it. Worth it?)

On another note, on midi to cv conversion: I have the BSP now but It doesnt really quite fit my ideas now since I realised how easy it is to integrate hardware synths with ableton. I dont really like softsynths (use ableton for drums, effects and arrangement) so in building the modular I'm aiming to build a nice "Hardware vst" if you will. Id rather have a midi to cv interface that DOESNT take space in my rack. And I found this thing, seems amazing AND very affordable! Anyone tried it and have anything to say about it?

https://www.tindie.com/products/hotc...idi-to-cv-box/

Been through most of the 2016 thread now and all here, thanks for all inspiration and what not!
Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

I am looking for a good audiomixer to mix oscillators.

Thought i could use the A-138m for this task too, but i am not so happy with the result. The max volume seems to be limited, and instead of overdriving, the module starts to heavily compress the signals. Not in a very musical way.

So what would be your recommendations? I like to build myself but also consider ready modules. I just want a good one, audiowise.
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Are you sure the SQ-1 does MIDI passthru? They only MIDI / CV I've been able to get out of mine is passing clock.

Also, the BSP should give you two channels of conversion, one for each sequencer, then all the gates on channel 10.

Perhaps I haven't gotten to that part in the manual, but can you have one sequencer controlled by one MIDI channel, the other controlled by another channel, the drum sequencer controlled by yet a third MIDI channel? If so, then I definitely misspoke. Guess I'll have to look it up now tonight.

Quote:
Former BSP owner here: You sure about that? I remember rather specifically being able to send CV/Gate on both channels and having access to the drum triggers as well.
I was pretty sure until you were the second person to question me about it. I'll look it up tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post

Thought i could use the A-138m for this task too, but i am not so happy with the result. The max volume seems to be limited, and instead of overdriving, the module starts to heavily compress the signals. Not in a very musical way.

So what would be your recommendations? I like to build myself but also consider ready modules. I just want a good one, audiowise.
Manhattan Analog. Cheap, small in hp, can be DIYd as well, sounds good, does a nice little harmonic distortion when you increase the total volume past about three quarters.
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

I was just wondering is it possible to create lush pad sounds on modular. I assume it must be but I have never heard pad sounds in any demos, mostly not even nice sounds, as the preference seems to be West Coast aggressive; noise n sharp plucks. I think it's my mission to try. A nice chorus/reverb and 2 voices should be able to do it. I don't see why a modular can't be as effective as a analogue synth at this stuff.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi...c.php?p=595221
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

^^ No doubt. I wouldn't buy them all at once nor likely even rack them together, but I am, so far, interested in each of these.

Quote:
Been through most of the 2016 thread now and all here, thanks for all inspiration and what not!
Nice. I'm 60 pages into it, myself. So many valuable insights.
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

the DTM mixer is the Moog CP3 circuit, and comes in CV and Audio versions, 4hp.
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I was just wondering is it possible to create lush pad sounds on modular. I assume it must be but I have never heard pad sounds in any demos, mostly not even nice sounds, as the preference seems to be West Coast aggressive; noise n sharp plucks. I think it's my mission to try. A nice chorus/reverb and 2 voices should be able to do it. I don't see why a modular can't be as effective as a analogue synth at this stuff.

I believe most lush pads are examples of polyphonic synths, independent of format, so there's that.
Old 28th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Z-DSP owners: What are your favorite cards? So far on my wishlist is the Bat Filter and Valhalla Reverb. Anything else worth going gaga over?
well I've had a ZDSP and valhalla card for 2 months and no case to put it in but this morning I finally get the message that my Mantis case from Perfect circuit is on route to the land of vegemite..
Old 28th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
I don't know if any other companies have the Colour stuff PCBs implemented, but WMD has a couple.

curiously that sounded absolutely beautiful and has my interest, I'm wondering how one would make that lovely soft distorted sine wave signal with gear we already have..?? that opening sequence in that video was a real beauty..
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Are you sure the SQ-1 does MIDI passthru? They only MIDI / CV I've been able to get out of mine is passing clock.

Also, the BSP should give you two channels of conversion, one for each sequencer, then all the gates on channel 10.

Quote:

Quote:
Perhaps I haven't gotten to that part in the manual, but can you have one sequencer controlled by one MIDI channel, the other controlled by another channel, the drum sequencer controlled by yet a third MIDI channel? If so, then I definitely misspoke. Guess I'll have to look it up now tonight.
void23 and derp were right. You configure MIDI channels for each in the MIDI control center. Ive got the most annoying sequence ever playing with both sequence CVs from two different MIDI tracks in Live, a drum trigger triggering an envelope from another MIDI track and another osc playing pitches from a final MIDI track through the SQ1

Quote:

Let's start with what makes a lush pad in a non-modular and see if it's able to be duplicated in modular. Typically there are two oscillators, detuned. We can do that in modular. There are usually more than one note played at the same time, two or three at a minimum. We can do that in a modular, but to do so with three similar sounding pairs of detuned oscillators is going to be expensive, use a lot of HP and unless you have six of the same oscillator, probably won't sound fantastic. Then obviously there's all of the voices going through a good filter with a slow attack and "movement within the sound" either through modulation of the filter tuning, waveforms of the oscillators, etc. This last one is easy to do in modular. And effects don't hurt - verb and delay...

It's the second one that's a bear in modular.

Can it be done? Yes. Would I try turning my modular into a pad machine? No. I have an OB-6 I love for pads, but even without it, there are far better non-modular options IMO.

But if you think all you hear are aggressive, bleepy modular examples, I highly recommend you check out the Rings thread on muffs. There are a ton of fantastic, musical examples of modulars. r_beny does some incredibly musical and deep stuff with his modular on youtube. And a number of regular posters here do musical, non-bleepy stuff.
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
well I've had a ZDSP and valhalla card for 2 months and no case to put it in but this morning I finally get the message that my Mantis case from Perfect circuit is on route to the land of vegemite..
Nice!

Not the vegemite - that stuff is disgusting.

But the case! I'm curious how you like it when you get it. I just sold my Sub37 and am pondering getting it for a base rack below my two rasts. Then I'll be done - I swear! (Been eyeing the Basimilus Iteritas or whatever the hell it is or how you spell it, but eyeing it hard)
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummel View Post
(5 modules in since September, buying a new module every month or two months.)
I'm a firm believer that this is the way to do it. It's a slower process, but you get time to really acquaint yourself with each module and learn everything about it. I didn't take my own advice when I got into Eurorack, but I did it with my Dot Com and I learned so much that way.
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Modulars can do pads, but it takes a lot of work. On the modular itself, you can fake it with a couple oscillators going into a filter and some heavy reverb. My way of going about it is to create the pad sound I want and just sample it, but with enough reverb, it should be possible to just play it.

Also, good luck with the chorus modules. There don't seem to be that many of them. I guess it makes sense since you can make a chorus by modulating a delay, but it just ain't the same to me.
Old 28th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
I'm a firm believer that this is the way to do it. It's a slower process, but you get time to really acquaint yourself with each module and learn everything about it. I didn't take my own advice when I got into Eurorack, but I did it with my Dot Com and I learned so much that way.
It does feel right, and since atleast it feels like I'm in it for the long haul I have plenty of time to buy modules. I can't justify putting, say, 2000 euros into this all at once. But can I justify putting 7 or 8000 in over the course of 3 or 4 years? Hell yes
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Dooooooood...

I'm recalling a comment Cane made in last year's thread about the SMR being exemplary of the kind of thing he got into modular for. Man, I could listen to the resonators being pinged by Grids for hours. This is one BEAUTIFUL sounding module. I think Genshi should get one of these if he doesn't already have one. It's just the kind of thing I hear in his music.
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Got a big shipment today to finish filling out my 12u. Warps, Blinds, and an EMW Alias. As for the Alias, not as cool as I thought; needs an extra kick with the Disting in Bit Crusher mode to pull it out. I can do the same sort of effect better with Braids, so the Alias is probably no going to last long in the case.

Warps with Parasites is superb. With the external feedback chain, I'm happy with it as just a delay module. The other stuff is just icing on the cake.

Really liking Blinds also. I've always liked the effect of leaving the VCA partially open to allow a low volume drone to pass through. It's perfect for that.

The Quadra comes tomorrow and sounds like the Morpheus should arrive this week. Lots of new stuff to play with.
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Oh, and BTW ... if you've got more the 6u and don't have a Wasp. You fail at eurorack.
Old 28th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Still keeping my fingers loudly crossed for the chorus, but it won't be a deal-breaker.

This actually answers a couple of my prayers. As I've been previously quite vocal about, I have a raging hardon for the AX60. The Juno 106 gets REAL close (which is weird considering that one's CEM-based and the other is proprietary) but with a couple minor flaws: It's DCO instead of VCO, and it doesn't have the oscillator to filter FM that makes the AX60 pure magic. By making a VCO-based iteration of the Juno that's modular, that ticks both of those boxes and means that I don't have to keep searching in vain for an A-111-5 to magically appear.

Additionally, I've been eyeballing a Tonestar, but one thing holds me back: I already have the 4075 filter, so that's a whole lot of overlap. A Tonestar with a different filter, especially one that I heart as much as the AX60/Juno's alleviates that concern.

Once this thing is available for order, I will insta-buy this. SE has made some great modules and has wonderful customer service (as shown by the 4075 that was repaired for free in spite of me being the one that fried it.)

So Greg and Marc...

Tremendous prose here derp, and thanks very much for the good report—we try to satisfy This really lit up my night. The TS8106 is available despite the SE site blackout RIGHT NOW! Hit up Greg 3106403546 for details/retailers/snake oil salesman alerts.

MSR
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I have the Bubblesounds one which is 6x1 or 3x2. It doesn't really do overdrive but I get that out of my wave folder. The nice thing about the 3x2 option is you can get a nice stereo image using the two outs as left and right.

Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Let's start with what makes a lush pad in a non-modular and see if it's able to be duplicated in modular. Typically there are two oscillators, detuned. We can do that in modular. There are usually more than one note played at the same time, two or three at a minimum. We can do that in a modular, but to do so with three similar sounding pairs of detuned oscillators is going to be expensive, use a lot of HP and unless you have six of the same oscillator, probably won't sound fantastic. Then obviously there's all of the voices going through a good filter with a slow attack and "movement within the sound" either through modulation of the filter tuning, waveforms of the oscillators, etc. This last one is easy to do in modular. And effects don't hurt - verb and delay...

It's the second one that's a bear in modular.

Can it be done? Yes. Would I try turning my modular into a pad machine? No. I have an OB-6 I love for pads, but even without it, there are far better non-modular options IMO.

But if you think all you hear are aggressive, bleepy modular examples, I highly recommend you check out the Rings thread on muffs. There are a ton of fantastic, musical examples of modulars. r_beny does some incredibly musical and deep stuff with his modular on youtube. And a number of regular posters here do musical, non-bleepy stuff.
Well, I have an OMIKRON dual oscillator and two inputs on the AMsynths JP8 filter so I'm going to see what I can get with that.

This is a nice sounding demo I thought but could do with an extra voice and/or detuning. You've got me interested in Rings from looking at muffs thread at the stuff you mentioned. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD24Ld5MMv4

You've actually go me thinking how my modular fits in with the rest of my gear. (I've been stuck in modular mode learning for two months now). Using polysynths for pads seems obvious, better done than with modular but just wanted to try this. But I was also thinking what I can do in software that could save me buying modules and was looking for a software Turing Machine and there is Max4live one but also found this: Chromophone is a similar physical modelling plugin to Rings. Maybe not a replacement but looks very good. They also have a string modelling plugin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_9jRPcTygs

Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummel View Post
This is what the plan looks like so far: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/395257
Got Peaks, clouds, Maths, 4ms RCD so far (and a radio music). Thinking about wheter I should go with rings or something else (Wavetable modules comes to mind, kind of interested in Tides just to put sheep on it. Worth it?)
Looks a lot like my first row.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/228355

It really came alive when I added the BSP. My patches usually involved Peaks in one of its drum modes along with the hats module triggered by 4 of the drum triggers. Rings controlled by one of the v/0 sequencers and some combination of Dixies2/STO on the other.

What eventually pushed me to expand (other than Clouds hype which was fever pitched at the time) was the lack of modulation with Peaks being stuck in drum mode. I Added ultra random, a second Dixie for LFOs and a pipslope which opened up a huge variety of patching options. Also I got more drum modules and so I can explore all the other stuff on Peaks.

However you have a Butami in there which is a modulation monster. So maybe you won't run into that. I was dead set on a Butami and waiting fro ctrl-mod to get them back in stock when I started looking at Just Friends. Eventually settled on JF because I like the alternate modes better. It can do LFOs, envelopes and act as a harmonic VCO. Any of you guys looking at Tides - check out JF. It's similar but you have 6(!) outputs which can give you all kinds quadrature functions..
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Derp you might know this already but there was a DIY guy (who was also offering finished modules) doing a 6hp Juno Chorus module, both modes. They were super deep, modulargrid says 117mm (was why I scrapped it from my plan, my Dark Modular can only take up to 60mm). Can't recall the name of the manu but the module is called 106 Chorus.
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Kind of expensive for his purpose, though. He's going to be powering the Airas with their own power supplies and then mounting them on a pedalboard.

...believe me, I've really had to restrain myself from telling him to get another 84hp so he can start modulating those bad boys.

Forgive me for being behind the times and modular uncertified, I was kind of pricing out cases and such (always thought they are way expensive for what's they are..), and noticed the Tip Top mantis. Now, I know they aren't easily available now, and they don't have a lid (but have a bag, which might be sufficient), but the price and size is right. If was gonna maybe look at a small case anyway that seems like a fair value. I don't really think so much about needing a lot of modular sound generation, but I've been interested in video and some of the odder stuff anyway. Hrm
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I don't have one, but from what I've heard, a Super Sawtor might help do the trick.

Super Sawtor |

I also posted this abut 3 or 4 pages back. Really lush stuff from a new vendor.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12395793-post860.html
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Sale alert! Sale alert!

Audio Damage Neuron, (ADM12) 20% off this weekend only. Normally $325, on sale for $260 if you buy direct from AD: https://audiodamage.com/collections/...s/adm12-neuron. If you're looking for an FM percussion source, this appears and sounds to be one of the best.

I just sold my Sub37 and kinda splurged. Neuron wasn't in the plans for the moment as the Basimilus Iteritas Alter already found its way into a cart and bought along with a Mantis case. But, too hard to turn down the sale price on this puppy.

Quote:
Well, I have an OMIKRON dual oscillator and two inputs on the AMsynths JP8 filter so I'm going to see what I can get with that.

This is a nice sounding demo I thought but could do with an extra voice and/or detuning. You've got me interested in Rings from looking at muffs thread at the stuff you mentioned. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD24Ld5MMv4

You've actually go me thinking how my modular fits in with the rest of my gear. (I've been stuck in modular mode learning for two months now). Using polysynths for pads seems obvious, better done than with modular but just wanted to try this. But I was also thinking what I can do in software that could save me buying modules and was looking for a software Turing Machine and there is Max4live one but also found this: Chromophone is a similar physical modelling plugin to Rings. Maybe not a replacement but looks very good. They also have a string modelling plugin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_9jRPcTygs

If you can make it work man, good on ya. Rings can do some pad like stuff, and it's a helluva module. If you put it into polyphonic mode and/or resonant strings mode, you might find some sounds you like in the pad category. Another thing to explore, if you have Clouds is changing the frequency on clouds verb/delay to give the impression of multiple notes being played in the "ambience" clouds can provide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowthrough View Post
*** Newbie Post ***
I finally have a first guess version of my intended rack (after drinking heavily from the 'firehose' of Modular Info on the net- and in this forum)>

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/355789

I have purchased a powered case (I love!) & a first oscillator (Pico!),
The wide HP oscillator will be my main oscillator- (actually, it is the core reason I was lured into modular after many years of resistance)

1. need to choose between the 2 Ring mods in my rack (seeking the 'oommph' & richness of my old 2600 Ring Mod- to be clear)
2. need a mixer (that also can attenuate?)- as all my output will feed monosynths for VCA and final outputs (so far - the single VCO I have is WAY hot coming straight out)- some have suggested using a Filter as a mixer- but I have not seen one with multiple input adjustments.
3. really tough to choose 2x adsrs in small HP space with sliders (synthrotek looks attractive to me also)

I have put a lot of thought into this rack- and tried to solve this on my own- but I'd like to avoid mistakes and get some advice/guidance from the veterans here (not all modules listed on Modulargrid are still available & new modules are always coming out that are not there also).

Cheers for any thoughts shared
You might want to look at AJH's Minimod Ring Mod. It's supposed to sound fantastic. Not cheap in the way of ring mods, but may get you in the ballpark of the 2600?

Manhattan Analog provides a Moog-type mixer. It's AC coupled for audio and does a bit of soft clipping/harmonic distortion when you push it. Three inputs, one output, 4hp. Great sounding, cheap and small audio mixer.

You're correct that not many filters have a dedicated attenuator on them, at least not the ones with multiple inputs. A couple do, but that functionality is really more for the functionality of the filter and the interplay between the two sounds. In either case, I think you'd be better off going for an audio-specific mixer like the MA.
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
If this is the case, what would you (anyone really) recommend for someone starting out? Obviously one of the modules should be an oscillator, one should be a modulator (adsr/lfo), and then some sort of filter/vca. This assumes someone has a sequencer like a beatstep or sq-1 or a synth that has CV out already.

What's a good top 3-5 modules for each of those categories for someone just starting?
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search