The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 26th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbow View Post
option 1: stay married to the partner of my dreams, own a house
option 2: try to violate option 1, buy more modular gear, become drawn and quartered
Orrrr... all of the above?
Old 26th January 2017
Lives for gear

New for 2017, the Mooger Arper, with two Arp VCOs, with two different classic Moog VCFs - one per VCO, two Arp ENVs - one per VCO, an Arp VCA, Moog Glide and Noise, a Moog CP3 Mixer to control VCO and Ext In volumes, a Moog Parametric EQ, Moog Ring Modulator, and an FX Loop, with Balanced 1/4" I/O, in an attractive 104HP case:

Mooger Arper sneak preview

(Modular Grid is a blessing and a curse.)
Old 27th January 2017

instead of a Cirklon?

Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

To maintain my workspace ergonomics, I'm going to plonk one of these: https://www.studiospares.com/Accesso...-4U_406510.htm on top of one I already have and add another 6u x 84 to my rig. Does anyone know of any rack mountable rails that are in stock anywhere?

Or get one of these, but dang it's spensive:

Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools
I need a master clock then so I have to add Pamela's to my list. I just remembered Disting has a Clockable LFO multiplier/divider so I will see what I can do with this.
I read this (below) that you can use an LFO as a clock master. So I can control the Disting divider with LFO. I also understand now that if I'm using midi to CV the DAW is the master clock (all this jargon I thought it was something different!), in my case Ableton or I could use a hardware sequencer to do that like Beatstep Pro.

"For some (myself included), it’s often nice to make use of a dedicated unit to act as clock master, and nothing does this job better than an LFO module. Selecting a nice, tight square wave (or pulse!) will give off a significantly tasty signal which you can route in numerous directions, allowing nice, tight sync’ing across the system. It also means that you can have an elegant tempo control, right on your LFO, and there is a certain charm to this mode of working. Where does the clock start? It starts there, on my LFO module! "

Modular Synth Tutorial: Working With Clocks in a Eurorack Setup | MusicTech.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
any LFO that can generate a square wave can be used as a clock source, like wise I can use the trigger outs from my Robokop drum trigger sequencer as clock sources too, you just need something that generates a constant steady voltage as gate or trigger and you have a clock, once that penny dropped with me I was like oh errr yeah of course so it's all just voltage going click click click basically...real old school this stuff it really is..

I've decided to go with a Beatstep Pro as I need more CV's than the one on my CVpal and makes more sense getting a Beatstep Pro rather than another midi to CV module or sequencer module and I like that it's an external seq. Do people have good experience using this? I see a lot of people are using it as their master controller.
Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
To maintain my workspace ergonomics, I'm going to plonk one of these: https://www.studiospares.com/Accesso...-4U_406510.htm on top of one I already have and add another 6u x 84 to my rig. Does anyone know of any rack mountable rails that are in stock anywhere?

Or get one of these, but dang it's spensive:

Perfect Circuit and Detroit Modular both have them in stock if you don't mind the shipping across the pond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I read this (below) that you can use an LFO as a clock master. So I can control the Disting divider with LFO. I also understand now that if I'm using midi to CV the DAW is the master clock (all this jargon I thought it was something different!), in my case Ableton or I could use a hardware sequencer to do that like Beatstep Pro.

"For some (myself included), it’s often nice to make use of a dedicated unit to act as clock master, and nothing does this job better than an LFO module. Selecting a nice, tight square wave (or pulse!) will give off a significantly tasty signal which you can route in numerous directions, allowing nice, tight sync’ing across the system. It also means that you can have an elegant tempo control, right on your LFO, and there is a certain charm to this mode of working. Where does the clock start? It starts there, on my LFO module! "

Modular Synth Tutorial: Working With Clocks in a Eurorack Setup | MusicTech.net

I've decided to go with a Beatstep Pro as I need more CV's than the one on my CVpal and makes more sense getting a Beatstep Pro rather than another midi to CV module or sequencer module and I like that it's an external seq. Do people have good experience using this? I see a lot of people are using it as their master controller.
BSP is a great sequencer for modular. MIDI, I've not read great things. I don't typically clock it something like my DAW as a slave, so not sure how it does there, but it can certainly work as a MIDI to CV translation tool.
Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Absolutely good experience. I've gone from getting a BSP as a sort of place holder until I could land eurorack sequencers, to feeling comfy enough with it that I put off any sequencer for the foreseeable future, to basically rabid fanboy. As an old school MPC user I love the pads and banging out rhythms and melodies with my fingers. I almost never use the knobs.

After the latest firmware I've had no problems with it other than the occasional beat repeat issue when running sequences of varying length with different swing settings. It's a very specific problem that doesn't come up too much. I do wish there was a CV reset out. I have the last drum channel perma-patched to the reset on my clock divider as a work around. My only other gripe - they added pattern chaining for a kind of poor mans song mode but there's no way to save the chains so that could also be improved. The build quality is solid and at this point if the thing broke down I would just order another given how cheap they are.
Old 27th January 2017
Gear Guru

35 pages and not quite to the end of the month of January...you know you guys are nuts..
Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
35 pages and not quite to the end of the month of January...you know you guys are nuts..
We know what we like!

Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

This weekend's going to be fun: Got the two uZeuses yesterday, got the rack last week, got the DVCO last week, but the big box with the Circadian Rhythms, Z-DSP, and Spectral Multiband Resonator got sent snail mail, so they're finally showing up today. Hopefully the power supply for the last uZeus and my adaptor cables to get the Synthrotek power supplies working with the uZeus come in this weekend. Wanna be geared up in time for RPM next month.
Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

Z-DSP owners: What are your favorite cards? So far on my wishlist is the Bat Filter and Valhalla Reverb. Anything else worth going gaga over?
Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
This weekend's going to be fun: Got the two uZeuses yesterday, got the rack last week, got the DVCO last week, but the big box with the Circadian Rhythms, Z-DSP, and Spectral Multiband Resonator got sent snail mail, so they're finally showing up today. Hopefully the power supply for the last uZeus and my adaptor cables to get the Synthrotek power supplies working with the uZeus come in this weekend. Wanna be geared up in time for RPM next month.
I guessed RPM was an event you were referring to. Is it this - RPM music challenge?

The RPM Challenge
Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
We know what we like!

Cats n modular - get em' together

An essential part of your rack. Can you send it CV's?
Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guessed RPM was an event you were referring to. Is it this - RPM music challenge?

The RPM Challenge
Yep, that's the one. I try to get involved in it every year. I usually fail miss the deadline, but I almost always have something useful to use as a base for an album afterward, so I do it anyway. It's a good way to get me amped up to start musicing instead of just gear hoarding.
Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Keep in mind that if you're planning on doing MIDI -> CV, you'll only get one channel for that in the BSP. So you'll essentially be getting pitch, velocity and gate.

Another option - bit less functional is the Korg SQ1. You don't get the velocity CV output or drum triggers. And you have to use knobs for pitch when using the sequencer, but it also functions as MIDI -> CV, and it is pretty fun at only $99.
Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Perfect Circuit and Detroit Modular both have them in stock if you don't mind the shipping across the pond.

BSP is a great sequencer for modular. MIDI, I've not read great things. I don't typically clock it something like my DAW as a slave, so not sure how it does there, but it can certainly work as a MIDI to CV translation tool.
Cheers, Thomann have them too but they're like 375 euro. I might just get an LC6, paint it up and stick it on top of my rack with velcro.
Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

Interesting. mmm... but I wonder who would be interested over normal tried and tested modules, and seems expensive.

https://www.diyrecordingequipment.co...ections/colour
Old 27th January 2017
Quote:
Interesting. mmm... but I wonder who would be interested over normal tried and tested modules, and seems expensive.

FYI those are 500 series...
Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

This cat clearly takes his/her modular patches quite seriously.

Some nice ones here.
ICON » シンセと猫の写真を集めたサイト、「SynthCats」
Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
FYI those are 500 series...
I don't know if any other companies have the Colour stuff PCBs implemented, but WMD has a couple.

Old 27th January 2017
Oops sorry! I was on my phone and didn't see the euro module, this thing looks pretty cool actually. Not for me though, modular inside of modular is too much.
Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Keep in mind that if you're planning on doing MIDI -> CV, you'll only get one channel for that in the BSP. So you'll essentially be getting pitch, velocity and gate.

Another option - bit less functional is the Korg SQ1. You don't get the velocity CV output or drum triggers. And you have to use knobs for pitch when using the sequencer, but it also functions as MIDI -> CV, and it is pretty fun at only $99.
Are you sure the SQ-1 does MIDI passthru? They only MIDI / CV I've been able to get out of mine is passing clock.

Also, the BSP should give you two channels of conversion, one for each sequencer, then all the gates on channel 10.
Old 27th January 2017
So if anyone out there has Mutable Tides or Branches I'd love to hear your impressions of them as I might be getting them over the weekend, barring any red flags. They both look great to me but experienced opinions are better...anyone?
Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Former BSP owner here: You sure about that? I remember rather specifically being able to send CV/Gate on both channels and having access to the drum triggers as well.
Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So if anyone out there has Mutable Tides or Branches I'd love to hear your impressions of them as I might be getting them over the weekend, barring any red flags. They both look great to me but experienced opinions are better...anyone?
Got both here. Branches is a lot of fun. I practically keep mine permapatched to the two inputs of my GrandPa. Sending signal to it from Grids is great.

Tides is deceptively deep, so much so that I actually haven't used it very much. In its base mode, it's kinda somewhere between PEG and a channel of Maths, so that's a lot of why I don't use it so much since there's this overlap for me. One advantage it has over the other two though is that it seems to hold up better as an oscillator when pushed into audio-rate territory than the PEG and Maths do.

And since alternative firmwares are going to come up when discussing anything Mutable, Mutable's own Sheep firmware is fun. It overwrites the Tides functionality, but it turns it into a wavetable oscillator. Since we've both had Piston Honda mkII and can use that as a reference, it's basically got three ROM's and a big XY map for wave selection (shape and slope controls) instead of Bank and Wave controls. Unlike the Piston Honda where the Banks are designed to be different from one another, the XY map waves are closely related to each other, so you can get almost three-dimensional with the morphing. The wavetables sound great and if you have Braids, one of the tables is actually based on the WMAP oscillator mode for reference. It's pretty. Not as glassy and Waldorfy as the 4Vox, and not as harsh and abrasive as Piston Honda. I'd recommend switching to Sheep if you get bored with Tides.

This is one instance where I'm not going to recommend Parasites, though. The Parasite functionality gets kind of confusing to navigate, especially since it changes all of the controls, inputs, and outputs. The Two Bumps mode is neat, but I don't think it's worth the effort of installing the firmware, figuring out how to switch modes, and learning the navigation.
Old 27th January 2017
Quote:
Got both here. Branches is a lot of fun. I practically keep mine permapatched to the two inputs of my GrandPa. Sending signal to it from Grids is great.

Tides is deceptively deep, so much so that I actually haven't used it very much. In its base mode, it's kinda somewhere between PEG and a channel of Maths, so that's a lot of why I don't use it so much since there's this overlap for me. One advantage it has over the other two though is that it seems to hold up better as an oscillator when pushed into audio-rate territory than the PEG and Maths do.

And since alternative firmwares are going to come up when discussing anything Mutable, Mutable's own Sheep firmware is fun. It overwrites the Tides functionality, but it turns it into a wavetable oscillator. Since we've both had Piston Honda mkII and can use that as a reference, it's basically got three ROM's and a big XY map for wave selection (shape and slope controls) instead of Bank and Wave controls. Unlike the Piston Honda where the Banks are designed to be different from one another, the XY map waves are closely related to each other, so you can get almost three-dimensional with the morphing. The wavetables sound great and if you have Braids, one of the tables is actually based on the WMAP oscillator mode for reference. It's pretty. Not as glassy and Waldorfy as the 4Vox, and not as harsh and abrasive as Piston Honda. I'd recommend switching to Sheep if you get bored with Tides.

This is one instance where I'm not going to recommend Parasites, though. The Parasite functionality gets kind of confusing to navigate, especially since it changes all of the controls, inputs, and outputs. The Two Bumps mode is neat, but I don't think it's worth the effort of installing the firmware, figuring out how to switch modes, and learning the navigation.
Welp, there goes all my money...
Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You weren't using it for anything important.
Old 27th January 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
+ 1 on branches. Wish I had a 2nd one a few times. Great for routing and probability on gates/triggers.

Love Tides too. Lots of inputs and outputs. You do need to dedicate attenuators if you modulate the three middle inputs. Parasites is important if you want built in quantization. It's either hold and press one button or both buttons to change the Quantizer setting or the mode, so I get along with Parasites ok. Love it with folders like Warps, NLC timbre, R*S wave multipliers.
Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Verse View Post
Parasites is important if you want built in quantization.
Thank you for pointing that out, I forgot about that. Quantization on the Parasites version of Tides is nice and actually fairly creative in that it can do semitones, major scale, minor scale, whole tones, pentatonic minor, poor pentatonics, and fifths.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search