The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
The DM is incredible, and especially so since I went modular and sold all my hardware, but I realized I will always need a good master keyboard to write the stuff I do so once I fully realized that I had to step back and get myself something proper the DM just came up trumps on all levels, it has sliders to use in Reason as controllers, it has knobs and arps and MIDI etc etc and the way I write my music is very fluid, it comes out of me really quickly, I will often use the modular as backbones of a track but will always want/reach out for a pad machine to put the clouds and emotion into a piece, that's why I realised when I sold all my keyboards I made a mistake and had to at least go back get one good one..the Deepmind is perfect for me, I have some plans to do some beats with modular and use the Deepmind as master clock for my Robokop drum sequencer so looking forward to that next week when I have 3 days off..
That's awesome man. I'm always stoked to hear my online virtual homies finding sources of inspiration. Good on ya stickz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Pamela's workout vs 4MS rotating clock divider or something else? A PLOG? Would appreciate your advice.
As mentioned, Pamela's to start, but wait for the new version. And speaking of that, before @CANecreek comes by and says you can't find an old version of the Pamela's anyway...you can't find the old/current for another couple months anyway, but you can't find it for sale anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Pamela & RCD are clock dividers,
Plog belongs to a different family of modules it's a logic module "how does it work" you ask ? I don't know I'm still scratching my head with mine
Id explain about boolean logic and 3 milkshakes blah blah blah but I'm on my iPhone, it would be easier to peel an orange with boxing gloves than explain that on my phone, I'll drop a link to my website when I get a chance that explains boolean logic on a Plog.
You want a master clock first and RCD can't provide that. (although a square LFO to the RCD could, but it's much easier to get the tempo where you want with Pamela's, and you get a ton more functionality with Pam's) Once you've got your master clock, you can add a clock divider (or multiplier, and I'd recommend the SCM over the RCD if you already have Pam's) Once you've got a handle on clock and division/multiplication, you can throw in logic. At least that's the route I'd suggest.

Another option other than Pam's is the Delptronics TriggerMan. It offers similar functionality, although the new Pam's will provide a lot more than the TriggerMan. The TriggerMan when you dig deep is also pretty menu divey for things such as random, clock division of each output, etc.

Plog is, as cane said a logic module, but it's much more than And, Or, Xor, Not and the combinations. Logic and clock can produce a lot of great, funky rhythms that you can then use to trigger your envelopes, drum sounds, reset LFOs, etc. Due to the CV control and flip flop you can do so much more, and the multiple outputs give you two completely different things. It compares a lot to the Abstract Data Logic Boss. I went with the Logic Boss due to its primarily analog components and ability to better perform logic with audio signals. Truthfully, I've yet to really use that functionality, and I think the Plog is a bit easier to grasp.
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

I might make it my mission this year to learn How to use PLOG,
Pretty sure Mylar melodies did a video about it not so long ago which should simplify things.
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Alright, just say the word. This offer extends to everybody else here; I know I've got a lot of modules and though I do focus more on the bargain bin side of the spectrum, I might have something somebody would want to hear:

Obligatory Modular Grid link because you really can't see everything in a screenshot.
how do you like the DSI character module?
I have a P12 and like using it there - but I've hesitated to add it to my modular.
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pretty sure Mylar melodies did a video about it not so long ago which should simplify things.
You should! Will do wonders with all the clock stuff you have! Just plug a few items in there twist some knobs and take the outs until you get the hang of it.

So, I bought these caps for the res EQ only because they look more cool than the other ones available on ebay.

Yep, I'm an idiot. They're probably going to be huge with that voltage rating, but I didn't see anything smaller. 22 and 47 nf Styrene caps are hard enough to find as it is...
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my wording, but I meant re-packaging and selling the open source. Most licenses I've ever seen have included stipulations if someone uses as part of a for-profit, that mention of the open source software must be made in the licensing and that it can't be licensed separately, blah blah blah.

Anyways, Olivier has now made his opinion heard and he doesn't seem to care. I'm still in the "it's not cool" camp.
If it's prohibited and someone does it, it's not cool, no. Otherwise it's part of the game
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You should! Will do wonders with all the clock stuff you have! Just plug a few items in there twist some knobs and take the outs until you get the hang of it.

So, I bought these caps for the res EQ only because they look more cool than the other ones available on ebay.

Yep, I'm an idiot. They're probably going to be huge with that voltage rating, but I didn't see anything smaller. 22 and 47 nf Styrene caps are hard enough to find as it is...
Soviet K71 brilliant now your getting into the spirit of things you'll bring a tear to Putins eye, just stand'em upright if their too big.
Old 25th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Pamela & RCD are clock dividers,
Plog belongs to a different family of modules it's a logic module "how does it work" you ask ? I don't know I'm still scratching my head with mine
Id explain about boolean logic and 3 milkshakes blah blah blah but I'm on my iPhone, it would be easier to peel an orange with boxing gloves than explain that on my phone, I'll drop a link to my website when I get a chance that explains boolean logic on a Plog.
Plog's smart normalisation allow using OUT T and OUT D as 1/2 and 1/4 clock dividers respectively. Dig the manual.
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
A bloody good sounding filter too, he's managed to keep his place in my rack whilst having to boot out AMSynths JP8 & Snowfall.
Interesting.

Is there a mode or way to sometimes use the mixer aspect only?
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Interesting.

Is there a mode or way to sometimes use the mixer aspect only?
There ain't a mode, but I'd just close the cutoff turn down the resonance then use the mixer section.
Old 25th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
you probably know how to use PLOG better than me except I'm foolish enough to think I know how to use it!!!
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
So both are good together but you would recommend starting with Pam's.
I don't own either but it's hard to imagine what you'd need a clock divider or multiplier for if you had Pam's. I realize some of them have fancier features (the 4ms ones in particular) but Pam's can do some pretty cool stuff too. In fact, this is one where it's totally worth waiting for the update, the new Pam's is reportedly going to have auxiliary LFOs (you can never have enough sync'd LFOs as far as I'm concerned) and access to the (formerly bootleg firmware) Euclidian mode from the main firmware. I'm still not 100% sure if I want/need something as powerful as Pam's, Silent Way has me so sorted with clocks that other than 'stupid-division tricks' (I've been abusing PEG for this; and Sequencer 1 has been dividing DINSync down to 16th note clock or whatever sequencer speed I want [or I can always just throw up a new clock too]) I can't really imagine what else I'm missing.
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You won't be far off needing a pair of ladders when wiggling
The Modular Grid layout is a little bit misleading. The Euro is in four 20u racks that are side by side. Modular Grid won't let you create a rack that wide though, so I stuck with the original layout where I was planning on sticking the DotCom on top of the Eurocrack. Some major rearranging is going to have to happen soon though, that's for sure. With rack four almost full, I don't have room for rack five!
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks boss, and I love the rack title. You pay for a modular grid account to have a rack that size? I thought about it cause I'm kind of annoyed with having to have multiple racks, but it's also nice as I have two power supplies so I can kind of keep on top of the power consumption I'm at in each.
Yep, I bought a unicorn account. I was planning initially to just make due with each rack having its own layout, but the four-row max put a bit of a damper on even that plan. I mostly like the 'Compensation' layout because if I get a new module that I'm having trouble fitting, it's easier to have it all in front of me to start juggling before I start racking.
Old 25th January 2017
Can anyone tell me what kind of patch cables this guy is using?

Not sure what to think of the modules, sound good but pretty huge overall...
Old 25th January 2017
Our very own (yes you belong to Gearslutz) John L. Rice repping Moon Modular at namm-

Old 25th January 2017
And yeah I'm sitting around watching Namm videos so there might be more posts.
Old 25th January 2017
Paraphonic goodness, and he announces a poly!
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks for the input, all.

So far - I take back the comment on the Tonestar lacking filter control.. it's just labeled strangely, but it works.

As for the mixer - I ended up using the 2>1 mixer on the Mother for the Lifeforms/Tonestar - so that left me with 2 inputs to my console.. I guess a small mixer module is in order when I expand to a second row.

Now.. to decide what goes in that second row. There's some definite items for me (maths, disting, clouds) and really thinking about that Manhattan filter with the 3ch mixer. That leaves 26hp... maybe a couple of the Erica pico modules? I like some of the weirder doepfer stuff (wave multiplier) but they're kind of big for what they do.
Old 25th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post

So far - I take back the comment on the Tonestar lacking filter control.. it's just labeled strangely, but it works.

As for the mixer - I ended up using the 2>1 mixer on the Mother for the Lifeforms/Tonestar - so that left me with 2 inputs to my console.. I guess a small mixer module is in order when I expand to a second row.

Now.. to decide what goes in that second row. There's some definite items for me (maths, disting, clouds) and really thinking about that Manhattan filter with the 3ch mixer. That leaves 26hp... maybe a couple of the Erica pico modules? I like some of the weirder doepfer stuff (wave multiplier) but they're kind of big for what they do.
Off the top of my head, have you got any of these types of things?
Wavefolder/shaper
Slew Limiter
Clock Divider/Multiplier
Random/Logic
Digital Osc/Wavetable

Keep in mind it's a good idea to add a VCA/buff mult/envelope basically every time you buy an oscillator, filter, or modulator to make sure you can fully use it. All system dependent of course but as a rule of thumb it has worked out ok for me.
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That leaves 26hp... maybe a couple of the Erica pico modules? I like some of the weirder doepfer stuff (wave multiplier) but they're kind of big for what they do.
I wouldn't let how much HP you have left dictate your purchases, lets face it your only going to get another case anyway
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Look at Intellijel's uFold for a wave shaper/multiplier. Supposed to be pretty good, and may be smaller. Doepfer's PLL is a pretty funky module.

Personally though, if you're definitely getting maths, disting and clouds - I would just get those and mess around. The only thing I might recommend is an attenuation/attenuverter module for the clouds inputs - you could use Maths chs 2 and 3, but you may want those for the Maths functionality. But, Disting has a waveshaper/folder, delays, LFOs, envelopes, S&H, ASR, quantizer, sample capabilities, filters, etc. I'd try out those different items in Disting, find out what items you really like from them, then purchase dedicated items for that functionality.
Old 25th January 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Can anyone tell me what kind of patch cables this guy is using?
The cables could be the Noisebug Mogami cables.

NoiseBug Cables Main Page | Noisebug
Old 25th January 2017
Deleted User
Any Portable 44 users out there?
I was thinking of dumping my MS-20s and going for a turnkey solution with the portable 44.
I was told my dot.com it will fit in my Kia Rio for gigs.
The price is quite good too! I would need a V/octave controller as well.
This would, hopefully, be a buy-it, never-upgrade it proposal!
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Doepfer's PLL is a pretty funky module.
This was one of the early modules I bought. I plugged it up, messed around with it a bit, thought it was pretty gnarly, and unfortunately haven't really touched it much since. Think I need to spend some time with her again soon.
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
This was one of the early modules I bought. I plugged it up, messed around with it a bit, thought it was pretty gnarly, and unfortunately haven't really touched it much since. Think I need to spend some time with her again soon.
Mylar Melodies did an awesome video on it. He actually explains what the hell is going on since I think even many hardcore modular heads have no clue on a PLL.

Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
Any Portable 44 users out there?
I was thinking of dumping my MS-20s and going for a turnkey solution with the portable 44.
I was told my dot.com it will fit in my Kia Rio for gigs.
The price is quite good too! I would need a V/octave controller as well.
This would, hopefully, be a buy-it, never-upgrade it proposal!
I've got 52 spaces of Dot Com here. Haven't messed with the portable cases, but I can't see any reason why they wouldn't fit in a small car. 8-spaces is a 19 inch rack, they're ten rack units high, and the modules are pretty shallow, so I can't imagine the case taking that much space even doubled up.

I touched on it a bit in the 2016 thread, but it's been hard to find Eurorack oscillators that compare to the Q106, otherwise I would get rid of the DotCom and go entirely Euro. But that's the thing of it is that I do want to find a replacement because as glorious as them oscillators sound, the system as a whole leans very much toward Moog to the point where you can't really get away from that basic sound. It's a good sound, but it's like buying a piano and expecting to get some guitar sounds out of it. Here's a video I did some years back where I was trying out some FM techniques, and it still manages to retain that Moogitude throughout:

If that's your thing, then hey, you do you. The whole thing gets more complicated by the fact that I see you're eyeballing a Dot Com because of the low price. If you want to change things up and add more modules to that system, you have to keep in mind that Dot Com is kind of the bargain end of 5u. Nearly everyone else in 5u is a lot more expensive.

Also, there's the problem of buying a complete system anyway. If you do that, you get the modules that Roger chose for you. Yay! But looking at the stock option on the Portable 44, you've got six oscillators and only one filter. Yes, Dot Com oscillators double as LFO's, but still, do you need that many? This is basically one big expensive voice, and it doesn't include any of the new modules he's got out like the smaller LFO++ or the Gate Math. Also, this has a MIDI setup that takes two spaces. Do you need the arpeggiator or the second channel of CV when this is still a one-voice unit at its core? Do you really need the Connector Interface so you can convert to minijack or banana jack formats? Like I don't know about your needs, but for me, I'd alter that to have at least one more filter and a sequencer.

If I were you, if you're going to be unloading the MS20's anyway, I'd take another look at going Euro. There's more variety out there, price ranges are more varied, they're more portable, you can pack a lot more functionality into a smaller space. I started with a Dot Com as my first modular system and I really wish I'd picked up Eurorack from the beginning.
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
No comparison as you can set what ever division you want for each of Pamela's outputs where as the 4MS is fixed, Pam has Start/stop and BPM,
Personally I use Pamela as my master clock and I clock RCD with Pamela (although I have SCM not RCD)
I need a master clock then so I have to add Pamela's to my list. I just remembered Disting has a Clockable LFO multiplier/divider so I will see what I can do with this.

I read this (below) that you can use an LFO as a clock master. So I can control the Disting divider with LFO. I also understand now that if I'm using midi to CV the DAW is the master clock (all this jargon I thought it was something different!), in my case Ableton or I could use a hardware sequencer to do that like Beatstep Pro.

"For some (myself included), it’s often nice to make use of a dedicated unit to act as clock master, and nothing does this job better than an LFO module. Selecting a nice, tight square wave (or pulse!) will give off a significantly tasty signal which you can route in numerous directions, allowing nice, tight sync’ing across the system. It also means that you can have an elegant tempo control, right on your LFO, and there is a certain charm to this mode of working. Where does the clock start? It starts there, on my LFO module! "

http://www.musictech.net/2016/10/working-with-clocks/
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Here's a picture of chord to get you through the day

If you ain't modulating then it ain't modular

Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mylar Melodies did an awesome video on it. He actually explains what the hell is going on since I think even many hardcore modular heads have no clue on a PLL.

Cool. Had no clue
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's a picture of chord to get you through the day

If you ain't modulating then it ain't modular

There's a modular hole open there. Get modulating! That's one of the best ones!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search