The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Stupid newb question.. is there any way around getting some kind of mixer module?

I've been playing with my current setup - Mother 32, Tonestar 2600 and Lifeforms SV1.. and while they all have external/mix inputs - they're also all pre-VCF/VCA.. so it doesn't really work.

I know I already need to add a second row, but in the meantime - do I just need to suck it up and eat 3 inputs on my console (or submix)?
The M32 has a proper mixer as well as the ext in. Voltage controlled too!
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Funny my system is exactly 250. I have five VCOs, two VCFs and a bunch of stuff that isn't exactly a VCO but can generate sound like Rings, Just Friends and four drum modules. Both of my digital VCOs (Braids and Telharmonic) don't really need a VCF with so many ways to control harmonics in the module. The STO can also go filterless depending on its roll in a patch. And I have 2xDixes which spend fairly equal time being an traditional east coast 2VCO->mixer->1 filter setup and just doing LFO duty. I don't really consider it a VCF but I've got the Optomix which can be great for taming harmonics but not really in the "cutoff knob filter sweep" way.

As far as compositions I think both are fun. I can get about 12 simple voices (with drums) out of my system simultaneously which is definitely falls into the
"loads of boring things happening simultaneously" category. The trick is getting all those things to happen at different times and getting them all to leave space for each other - basically a sum is greater than the parts type patch. But I also like doing simple patches where half the rack may go unused but I really let one or two sounds breathe and fill up most of the sonic space.
Cheers, useful info. I think I asked the question because I really want something mental like a shapeshifter or DPO, but I don't want to not be able to fully 'modularise' my voices, if that makes sense.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Stupid newb question.. is there any way around getting some kind of mixer module?

I've been playing with my current setup - Mother 32, Tonestar 2600 and Lifeforms SV1.. and while they all have external/mix inputs - they're also all pre-VCF/VCA.. so it doesn't really work.

I know I already need to add a second row, but in the meantime - do I just need to suck it up and eat 3 inputs on my console (or submix)?
So you're looking for something to mix post filter/vca? I'm not sure about the Tonestar or Lifeforms, but the ext in on the Mother is pre-filter/VCA. It's a way to get another oscillator in the sound prior to the VCF. So, provided the Tonestar/Lifeforms have osc out capabilities like the Mother does, you can combine oscillators pre-VCF a la multiple oscillators in a fixed arch synth.

In order to mix signals post VCF/VCA, yes you're probably going to want either a VCA with mixing capabilities or a mixer or just have the outputs of each go to an input on a mixer/interface. But if I were you, I'd recommend VCA with mixing capabilities as it's likely you'll add more modules at some point and want that functionality anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Since I'm in demo-recording mode, did you want me to get something recorded for you so you can compare them? If so, let me know what you'd like running through them and what modulation you need.
You're too kind my friend. I don't have anything in particular in mind, and I can't really think of any modulations I'd want to hear. I'd say go ahead and do your thing. I'll check out some videos of them and if I can come up with something I'll get back atcha.

I appreciate the offer though dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
It seems to be okay now. I think maybe it was picking up static. I have just got a uVCA2 but have no comparison except for Veils which is not on your list.
Glad you got it sorted!

I had Veils on the original list, it just didn't make the short list. From what I've seen, the uVCA and Veils are supposed to both be similar in sound quality as well as functionality with the Veils offering 4 VCA channels at a larger size. Do you have a preference in the sound quality out of either, or the ability to handle different sorts of modulations such as fast attacks, slow releases, etc?

Thanks man!
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Researching and buying the components for the Res EQ and Wasp now have me on a get higher quality components kick.
Yes i always buy best, my first builds make me cringe with all those cheap film capacitors, i always buy Wima now

What is funny though is reading the forum and sometimes people talking about Quality components in a product, like quality components make a device sound better.
Roland bought $hit quality in bulk in the 70s/80s and all their sought after legendary machines are made out of cheap $hit components

I remember reading Ken Macbeth saying he uses the carbon film resistors rather than the Metal film resistors in his builds because thats what the old machines used.

Quote:

In order to replace the TL074's, I just need to make sure the pins on any potential replacements correspond to the same functionality of the pins on the 074s?
Yes, Just type in google "A replacement for TL074" and you'll usually get some suggestions.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think that's a pretty subjective thing. How many voices will you be layering on top of each other, how many different "lines" do you want going at once max. How many different options do you want even if you don't use all of them?

But keep in mind also that self resonating filters can also function as voices. Things such as Rings, Elements or even Clouds, while not oscillators can function as voices. And then there's the ability to have LPGs as opposed to straight up filters to give a bit of a different sound and feel. You can also ping filters/LPGs to give a completely different type of voice than a merely self resonating filter. Add a contact mic and you've got the capability for a boatload of sounds or "voices." A line input can open up your entire hardware arsenal including your DAW sounds for voices.

I've got 420hp, not quite full and I only have 3 oscillators, but I've got Rings and Clouds, as well as Ears for a contact mic/line input, Three Sisters as a self-resonating filter and another self-resonating filter/LPG. Three Sisters is nice in that if you take a single signal in and the multiple outs for the different bandpass filters, you can actually get a couple different melodic "voices" depending on the knob/switch settings.

You can go an awful long way with some creative choices on just a couple oscillators, filters/LPGs and specialty modules. And then there's the whole, do I even want to run this through a filter argument.
Thanks, the beauty of modular right there! I have 3 dedicated oscs, but also have Warps and Tides and a Dom 1, so spoilt for choice really. Ultimately I want flexibility over a huge voice count - I want to be able to design sounds with as few limitations at possible, from 2 bar dynamic loops for the sampler to many-minute evolving, morphing soundscapes. Reckon I'm good go.

But might get a Shapeshifter anyway.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I think this module is pretty interesting

The Assist Percussive Utility, from Blue Lantern, is everything one needs to make drum sounds, minus the actual oscillator. It contains a decay envelope generator, a high quality VCA and a booster circuit. This means one can take any VCO and turn it into a drum sound. It also contains a Piezo input, which can be connected to Roland V-Drums and other trigger pads. This is the module that turns your drone system into a drumset.
That looks an interesting module
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have you read about the issues with scalling on the Omnikron..?? thread at muffs couple of people found that VCO b wouldn't scale past 2 octaves..??

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi...r=asc&start=75

might be hardware issue or not..?
Sounds to me like an issue with that particular module and not other Omiktrons
Old 24th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:

I love euro mixers, can't stand mixing outside the case, it's such a weird concept to me to go modular but keep effects and mixing outside the case..?? I have a few nice mixers in euro and they are invaluable, what you can also do is use some other types of modules as mixers for instance some filters are great mixers, the Roland 521 is a fantastic 6 chan 2 output mixer as well as filter, same as the AM Synths JP8 filter, can take 3 inputs to one output, so there are ways of using non mixer modules as mixers and getting double bang for buck..
Old 24th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Sounds to me like an issue with that particular module and not other Omiktrons
yes I think I miss read that thread it was late at night and tired..
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Glad you got it sorted!

I had Veils on the original list, it just didn't make the short list. From what I've seen, the uVCA and Veils are supposed to both be similar in sound quality as well as functionality with the Veils offering 4 VCA channels at a larger size. Do you have a preference in the sound quality out of either, or the ability to handle different sorts of modulations such as fast attacks, slow releases, etc?

Thanks man!
I just listened to uVCA and Veils and I couldn't hear any difference. The signal sounded the same. I picked up the uVCA on ebay so got it cheaper and thought I may need some more VCA's as 'you can never have enough' according to you guys. For mixing I am used to using Veils because I got it first but I'm sure I will use uVCA in the same way. They're both nice and do the job equally well - it depends if you need 2 or 4. (I got both for nice prices on ebay)
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6

Keep in mind also that certain mixers add character, so you can take what's essentially a boring utility mixer and have some fun with it. Manhattan Analog CP3 for instance is based on the old Moog mixer modules. Three inputs, one output. What makes it special is that you can overdrive it and get some nice tones out of it. Drums in particular are loads of fun through the CP3. Blue Lantern mixers also impart character, albeit a very early Behringer-esque character.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're too kind my friend. I don't have anything in particular in mind, and I can't really think of any modulations I'd want to hear. I'd say go ahead and do your thing. I'll check out some videos of them and if I can come up with something I'll get back atcha.

I appreciate the offer though dude!
Alright, just say the word. This offer extends to everybody else here; I know I've got a lot of modules and though I do focus more on the bargain bin side of the spectrum, I might have something somebody would want to hear:

Obligatory Modular Grid link because you really can't see everything in a screenshot.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
So how many osc and filters per, say 252hp would you say is about right? I feel light on oscs and filters but I'm finding more and more doing a small amount of very interesting things is way better than having ****loads of boring things happening simultaneously.
As this is modular i find the question neither here nor there, you can make a fantastic patch with one voice, you can make a fantastic patch with 6 voices,

what i do know is that id rather fill my rack with Modulations sources than voices
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Alright, just say the word. This offer extends to everybody else here; I know I've got a lot of modules and though I do focus more on the bargain bin side of the spectrum, I might have something somebody would want to hear:

Obligatory Modular Grid link because you really can't see everything in a screenshot.
You won't be far off needing a pair of ladders when wiggling
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

I have been enjoying noodling with my new modules this evening: using Triatt to mix in LFO filter modulation on top of Maths modulating Ultrafold from Omikron. I never would have known how useful this is and loving it I'm just thinking of the possibilities of mixing in and out different modulations. Maybe I'm starting to get it! mmm... more modulation, maybe a Function or Batumi or Pamelas... no, no more GAS!
Old 25th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Have you read about the issues with scalling on the Omnikron..?? thread at muffs couple of people found that VCO b wouldn't scale past 2 octaves..??

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi...r=asc&start=75
I should formally amend this post of mine and concur it was only one module that had a fault, I don't want to be responsible for starting any kind of rumor that would shed negative light on this module or the brand.
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes i always buy best, my first builds make me cringe with all those cheap film capacitors, i always buy Wima now

What is funny though is reading the forum and sometimes people talking about Quality components in a product, like quality components make a device sound better.
Roland bought $hit quality in bulk in the 70s/80s and all their sought after legendary machines are made out of cheap $hit components

I remember reading Ken Macbeth saying he uses the carbon film resistors rather than the Metal film resistors in his builds because thats what the old machines used.

Yes, Just type in google "A replacement for TL074" and you'll usually get some suggestions.
True, sometimes the reduced tolerances produce unexpected "that sounds awesome!"

Quote:
I love euro mixers, can't stand mixing outside the case, it's such a weird concept to me to go modular but keep effects and mixing outside the case..?? I have a few nice mixers in euro and they are invaluable, what you can also do is use some other types of modules as mixers for instance some filters are great mixers, the Roland 521 is a fantastic 6 chan 2 output mixer as well as filter, same as the AM Synths JP8 filter, can take 3 inputs to one output, so there are ways of using non mixer modules as mixers and getting double bang for buck..
How are you getting on with the DM? You've made some really nice videos with it man!

Quote:
I just listened to uVCA and Veils and I couldn't hear any difference. The signal sounded the same. I picked up the uVCA on ebay so got it cheaper and thought I may need some more VCA's as 'you can never have enough' according to you guys. For mixing I am used to using Veils because I got it first but I'm sure I will use uVCA in the same way. They're both nice and do the job equally well - it depends if you need 2 or 4. (I got both for nice prices on ebay)
Sounds good man, thx for checking into it for me. I kinda figured that would be the case based on my research.

Quote:
Keep in mind also that certain mixers add character, so you can take what's essentially a boring utility mixer and have some fun with it. Manhattan Analog CP3 for instance is based on the old Moog mixer modules. Three inputs, one output. What makes it special is that you can overdrive it and get some nice tones out of it. Drums in particular are loads of fun through the CP3. Blue Lantern mixers also impart character, albeit a very early Behringer-esque character.
The CP3 is a very cool character mixer.

Quote:

Thanks boss, and I love the rack title. You pay for a modular grid account to have a rack that size? I thought about it cause I'm kind of annoyed with having to have multiple racks, but it's also nice as I have two power supplies so I can kind of keep on top of the power consumption I'm at in each.

Quote:
I have been enjoying noodling with my new modules this evening: using Triatt to mix in LFO filter modulation on top of Maths modulating Ultrafold from Omikron. I never would have known how useful this is and loving it I'm just thinking of the possibilities of mixing in and out different modulations. Maybe I'm starting to get it!
Now imagine not twisting the Triatt's knobs to control one channel, but rather using a different CV source to control it.
Old 25th January 2017
Gear Guru

The DM is incredible, and especially so since I went modular and sold all my hardware, but I realized I will always need a good master keyboard to write the stuff I do so once I fully realized that I had to step back and get myself something proper the DM just came up trumps on all levels, it has sliders to use in Reason as controllers, it has knobs and arps and MIDI etc etc and the way I write my music is very fluid, it comes out of me really quickly, I will often use the modular as backbones of a track but will always want/reach out for a pad machine to put the clouds and emotion into a piece, that's why I realised when I sold all my keyboards I made a mistake and had to at least go back get one good one..the Deepmind is perfect for me, I have some plans to do some beats with modular and use the Deepmind as master clock for my Robokop drum sequencer so looking forward to that next week when I have 3 days off..
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
The DM is incredible, and especially so since I went modular and sold all my hardware, but I realized I will always need a good master keyboard to write the stuff I do so once I fully realized that I had to step back and get myself something proper the DM just came up trumps on all levels, it has sliders to use in Reason as controllers, it has knobs and arps and MIDI etc etc and the way I write my music is very fluid, it comes out of me really quickly, I will often use the modular as backbones of a track but will always want/reach out for a pad machine to put the clouds and emotion into a piece, that's why I realised when I sold all my keyboards I made a mistake and had to at least go back get one good one..the Deepmind is perfect for me, I have some plans to do some beats with modular and use the Deepmind as master clock for my Robokop drum sequencer so looking forward to that next week when I have 3 days off..
The DM has been released? I hadn't been paying attention and got bored of the hype. £1k I would hope it's good. Is it like a Juno though, isn't that what they modeled it on?
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Pamela's workout vs 4MS rotating clock divider or something else? A PLOG? Would appreciate your advice.
Old 25th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Pamela's workout vs 4MS rotating clock divider or something else? Would appreciate your advice.
if you wait another month Pamela's workout is coming out as a newer updated cooler module, and I mean very cool, the quad clock is nice though from a purely modular perspective, the lack of MIDI or any other type of sync is what makes Pam's a bit better option..
Old 25th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
The DM has been released? I hadn't been paying attention and got bored of the hype. £1k I would hope it's good. Is it like a Juno though, isn't that what they modeled it on?
it's fantastic, check the Deepmind thread for all the demo videos we've been doing, it's a Juno and much much more, the synth is killer..
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pamela's workout vs 4MS rotating clock divider or something else? Would appreciate your advice.
No comparison as you can set what ever division you want for each of Pamela's outputs where as the 4MS is fixed, Pam has Start/stop and BPM,
Personally I use Pamela as my master clock and I clock RCD with Pamela (although I have SCM not RCD)
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pamela's workout vs 4MS rotating clock divider or something else? A PLOG? Would appreciate your advice.
Pamela & RCD are clock dividers,
Plog belongs to a different family of modules it's a logic module "how does it work" you ask ? I don't know I'm still scratching my head with mine
Id explain about boolean logic and 3 milkshakes blah blah blah but I'm on my iPhone, it would be easier to peel an orange with boxing gloves than explain that on my phone, I'll drop a link to my website when I get a chance that explains boolean logic on a Plog.
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
No comparison as you can set what ever division you want for each of Pamela's outputs where as the 4MS is fixed, Pam has Start/stop and BPM,
Personally I use Pamela as my master clock and I clock RCD with Pamela (although I have SCM not RCD)
So both are good together but you would recommend starting with Pam's.
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So both are good together but you would recommend starting with Pam's.
Yes certainly Pamela first.

I've said this many times before but Pamela is the heart of my modular, if you took away my Pamela I wouldn't want to use my modular anymore.
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Manhattan Analog CP3 for instance is based on the old Moog mixer modules. Three inputs, one output. What makes it special is that you can overdrive it and get some nice tones out of it. Drums in particular are loads of fun through the CP3
Excellent post. I was about to ask about these.
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Excellent post. I was about to ask about these.
It's worth noting the manhattan analog state variable VCF has a CP3 mixer built into it.
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's worth noting the manhattan analog state variable VCF has a CP3 mixer built into it.
Oh good. I hadn't noticed that. Thanks.
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Oh good. I hadn't noticed that. Thanks.
A bloody good sounding filter too, he's managed to keep his place in my rack whilst having to boot out AMSynths JP8 & Snowfall.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search