The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

I did something very, very, very bad tonight, and I feel absolutely horrible about it. In thinking of replacing my Doepfer quad VCA/mixer (A-135 I think?) with another Zlob VnICursal, I realized I'd never compared audio output between the two. I'd run audio through the Zlob in the past, but to something else for more processing. Anyways, in comparison to the Doepfer, I noticed it lost some highs, had a thicker low end, and not the good kind of thicker, a muddier low end, and it was slower to react.

So now I'm on a quest for the best sounding and reacting VCAs as the last stage in my output - to replace the 18hp Doepfer. I've read far too many threads over at Muffs on VCAs now, and I've got it narrowed down to four different VCAs of which I'll probably combine two:

L-1 Quad VCA/Mixer - only negative is size, it's 14hp so it kind of defeats the purpose of replacing the Doepfer, but I would get to build it somewhat and according to everything I've read, it's one of the best sounding out there.

WMD Multimode VCA - this is pretty much a sure thing for me. Not only is it a dual, great sounding VCA according to everything I've read - it has a bunch of functionality that I don't currently have: crossfader, panner, linear/exponential, adjustable soft saturation. 10hp

MA VCA - basic, single 4hp but nice and clean - would likely get two and build them. Does it sound any better/worse than the Doepfer?

Intellijel uVCA2 - love the ability to control the curve between linear and exponential. Dual VCA at 6hp. I'm just not sure about the sound on this. Everyone claims it's great, but if it doesn't sound and react better than the Doepfer, there's really not much of a reason to switch.

Any thoughts on these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Hi, I have just been trying to figure out my new Disting and having selected a mode (I have been trying out the delays), when I rotate the top knob it makes a static clicking sound. Has anyone else experienced this?
Did you ever figure this out? This is post selecting the mode you want to select?
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just bought some utilities/modulation modules used that look interesting that I don't know. My strategy is to pick up used modules and try them out and sell them on without losing anything if I don't like them. I've decided to hold off on $500 modules until I understand the basics. I just got Triatt, Uvca, Ultrafold and Modemix.

My story so far...

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/rack...jpg?1485217554
Id love a Omikron
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I made the wrong decision early on when building mine to buy too many oscillators, I was not understanding really what the idea was and way too many of them, I wish I'd taken my time better and bought more variety and utilities and random stuff, I think I have around 9 or 10 oscillators..you really only need a couple of your fav ones..
I agree, same with filters.
Old 24th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Id love a Omikron
Have you read about the issues with scalling on the Omnikron..?? thread at muffs couple of people found that VCO b wouldn't scale past 2 octaves..??

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi...r=asc&start=75

might be hardware issue or not..?
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
I did something very, very, very bad tonight, and I feel absolutely horrible about it. In thinking of replacing my Doepfer quad VCA/mixer (A-135 I think?) with another Zlob VnICursal, I realized I'd never compared audio output between the two. I'd run audio through the Zlob in the past, but to something else for more processing. Anyways, in comparison to the Doepfer, I noticed it lost some highs, had a thicker low end, and not the good kind of thicker, a muddier low end, and it was slower to react.
My £35 solution would be to swap the 4 X TL074's for OPA4228/OPA4227, i was going to suggest OPA4134 but noticed they don't come in DIP package.
Mouser prices
TL074 = £0.50
OPA4228 = £8.61
I'm sure they'll be diminishing returns, but they will sound better.

Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
L-1 Quad VCA/Mixer - only negative is size, it's 14hp so it kind of defeats the purpose of replacing the Doepfer, but I would get to build it somewhat and according to everything I've read, it's one of the best sounding out there.
I got in touch with THATCORP and told them a story that i was planning on developing a commercial Eurorack module that uses THAT2180 chips (maybe i was telling the truth)
So THATCORP sent me 12 X 2180 chips for free for testing.
A,B,C 4 of each.
Farnell prices
THAT2180A = £11.59
THAT2180B = £8.27
THAT2180C = £6.56

Pretty good blag
Old 24th January 2017
Gear Guru

I think this module is pretty interesting

The Assist Percussive Utility, from Blue Lantern, is everything one needs to make drum sounds, minus the actual oscillator. It contains a decay envelope generator, a high quality VCA and a booster circuit. This means one can take any VCO and turn it into a drum sound. It also contains a Piezo input, which can be connected to Roland V-Drums and other trigger pads. This is the module that turns your drone system into a drumset.
Old 24th January 2017
Quote:
Have you read about the issues with scalling on the Omnikron..?? thread at muffs couple of people found that VCO b wouldn't scale past 2 octaves..??
a faulty trimmer that couldn't be moved beyond a point. does not qualify as "issue with scaling" on the Omikron. latter would imply something way more serious.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Someone on Muff's just posted a video of Catalyst Audio's new modules, a whole set of Buchla 100 series clones. Definitely a niche of the Eurorack market not yet realized.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
My £35 solution would be to swap the 4 X TL074's for OPA4228/OPA4227, i was going to suggest OPA4134 but noticed they don't come in DIP package.
Mouser prices
TL074 = £0.50
OPA4228 = £8.61

Yeah, I was thinking of doing the same with the Zlob - replacing the 074s in the non-CV path with higher-end audio ICs. Researching and buying the components for the Res EQ and Wasp now have me on a get higher quality components kick.

In order to replace the TL074's, I just need to make sure the pins on any potential replacements correspond to the same functionality of the pins on the 074s?
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I got in touch with THATCORP and told them a story that i was planning on developing a commercial Eurorack module that uses THAT2180 chips (maybe i was telling the truth)
So THATCORP sent me 12 X 2180 chips for free for testing.
A,B,C 4 of each.
Farnell prices
THAT2180A = £11.59
THAT2180B = £8.27
THAT2180C = £6.56

Pretty good blag
That's a nice score! Now generate the module!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Someone on Muff's just posted a video of Catalyst Audio's new modules, a whole set of Buchla 100 series clones. Definitely a niche of the Eurorack market not yet realized.
Yeah, that video came out early on in NAMM. Looks pretty interesting.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Nice! That filter is really inexpensive too, just emailed to see if/when they'll be in stock again. I have one empty filter spot in my design and have gone back and forth on a few choices but that RNF would be just about perfect.
If anyone else is interested I just heard back from OmSonic, he says he's running behind on the restock but he's hoping to have RNFs available in the next month or so. The more I've pondered it the more perfect I think that RNF is for that open filter slot.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree, same with filters.
So how many osc and filters per, say 252hp would you say is about right? I feel light on oscs and filters but I'm finding more and more doing a small amount of very interesting things is way better than having ****loads of boring things happening simultaneously.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
I'm finding more and more doing a small amount of very interesting things is way better than having ****loads of boring things happening simultaneously.
Speaking of boring things:

Started out as a 'demo', but then I kinda went overboard with it. I tried to get every EMW module I own into the shuffle, but I missed the Multiwave Digital Oscillator.

The lead sound that starts at the beginning is the DVCO in action being sent through a Boozy VCF. I tried to keep the composition sparse so that all the little changes done to the chain are always audible.

So how's the module? You know how sometimes you miss the sound of those crappy early digital VA's like the Novation X-Station or the Red Sound Darkstar? Oh, that's just me? Damn. Well, my favorite part of the X-Station in particular when I had one was playing parts at the very upper range of its playability so that it would start aliasing. I've always thought those little digital artifacts were rather musical, and I've got some old tunes that relied on that aliasing. The DVCO, to me, nails it. So much so, that I'm really having to stop myself from buying a second one right now. Sent through the filter section of the Bitrazer, it just screams early 90's VA synths, and for only $109!

So enough ranting, here's the modules:

Roland Scooper
Epoch Benjolin
EMW Alias DVCO
Malekko Anti-Oscillator
Doepfer Quad LFO
EMW Boozy VCF
Zlob THEQ
EMW Wave Compressor
MFB Kraftzwerg
Harvestman Stillson Hammer mkII
Mutable Warps
Blue Lantern BMX
Dave Smith DSM02
EMW Snare Lab 101
Flame FX-16
Mutable Streams
Doepfer Complex Envelope Generator
Mutable Grids
Grendel Formant Filter
Qu-Bit Nebulae
Analogue Solutions Oberkorn
EMW Analog Drum Synth
EMW VCF-Syn12
EMW Fixed Filter Bank
EMW Wave Composition Oscillator
4ms PEG
EMW Arcade Noise
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Anything particularly negative about these three Oscillators, individually and as a set?

* EMW Alias
* Stephcorp Oscillarp
* Metasonix RK4
That is one eclectic selection. Can't speak for the other two, but I'm enjoying the Alias.

Last edited by Derp; 24th January 2017 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: spellzing
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I made the wrong decision early on when building mine to buy too many oscillators, I was not understanding really what the idea was and way too many of them, I wish I'd taken my time better and bought more variety and utilities and random stuff, I think I have around 9 or 10 oscillators..you really only need a couple of your fav ones..
Funny, I did the opposite and bought too many filters when I started. I noticed filters are generally cheaper than oscillators, so I just kinda went nuts. I think I've got random weirdness modules pinned down, but I always feel like I could use more oscillators.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

So now I'm on a quest for the best sounding and reacting VCAs as the last stage in my output - to replace the 18hp Doepfer. I've read far too many threads over at Muffs on VCAs now, and I've got it narrowed down to four different VCAs of which I'll probably combine two:

WMD Multimode VCA - this is pretty much a sure thing for me. Not only is it a dual, great sounding VCA according to everything I've read - it has a bunch of functionality that I don't currently have: crossfader, panner, linear/exponential, adjustable soft saturation. 10hp

MA VCA - basic, single 4hp but nice and clean - would likely get two and build them. Does it sound any better/worse than the Doepfer?

Intellijel uVCA2 - love the ability to control the curve between linear and exponential. Dual VCA at 6hp. I'm just not sure about the sound on this. Everyone claims it's great, but if it doesn't sound and react better than the Doepfer, there's really not much of a reason to switch.

Any thoughts on these?
I have none of the ones you're jonesing for, but I do have a QVCA as well, so I can tell you what I think of my other VCA's in comparison to that if it helps. (And thank you for making me feel a little less crazy for thinking that VCA's do sound different.)

Asshole SY02 - I like. Kinda vintage sounding, and it has a good filter. Single VCA and huge panel though, so probably not what you're looking for.

Malekko VCA - I really like this one. Dual VCA and 6hp. It reacts to CV like a champ and has a lot punch to it. Very fat sounding.

Laurentide VG2, MengQi DPLG, and PassiVac - I'm lumping these together because they're so similar. The VG2 is a dual vactrol-based with a simple filter (reminiscent of a tone knob on a guitar), but otherwise they're the same as the other two. No punch and an intentionally long decay. I love vactrols and think everyone should have a couple, especially with how cheap and small they are. Very colored sound but in a musical way.

MFB VCA (in my Kraftzwerg) - She's got no punch and it's kinda muffled sounding. I don't use this VCA on its own for audio very often because of it.

Mutable Streams - My least favorite Mutable module. It's got a good compressor, but the VCA itself just never does it for me. Sounds kinda brittle to me. Kind of finnicky, too.

Doepfer QVCA - It's a good utility module. I've always liked it. It's got kind of a neutral tone to it.

Make Noise Moddemix - Probably my least favorite VCA for audio. It colors the sound in a weird way. Almost kinda muddies it up. Fun when pushing it into ring mod territory, but it's just not my thing otherwise.

Hexinverter Galilean Moons - It's a huge module because it does a lot. It's an expander to the Jupiter Storm, but it can function independently as well as a dual looping AR EG with VCA's onboard. Because of its layout, it's really great for percussion and honestly, I'm having trouble recalling if I've ever put something basic through it. Might have to try that sometime, right?

DSM01 - Again, a filter/VCA combo, but I likes it. It gets me damn close to a Pro One sound.

Pittsburgh Synthesizer Box - Using this one as my baseline for their VCA's. It's like the Doepfer. Good utility and kinda neutral. The onboard LPG on the other hand kinda blows.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mouser prices
TL074 = £0.50
OPA4228 = £8.61

Think I wanna try that one. DIY half-newb here, we're just talking about swapping IC's, right?
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Assist Percussive Utility, from Blue Lantern, is everything one needs to make drum sounds, minus the actual oscillator. It contains a decay envelope generator, a high quality VCA and a booster circuit. This means one can take any VCO and turn it into a drum sound. It also contains a Piezo input, which can be connected to Roland V-Drums and other trigger pads. This is the module that turns your drone system into a drumset.
Kinda reminds me of this:

Similar concept, minus the VCA(s). Always kinda wanted one of these, but never bad enough to wishlist it. Though another one that's caught my eye with a similar concept is this one:

This one I'm definitely jonesing for.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Just spotted this on the EMW website. No details yet, but looks like it could be fun.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So how many osc and filters per, say 252hp would you say is about right? I feel light on oscs and filters but I'm finding more and more doing a small amount of very interesting things is way better than having ****loads of boring things happening simultaneously.
I think that's a pretty subjective thing. How many voices will you be layering on top of each other, how many different "lines" do you want going at once max. How many different options do you want even if you don't use all of them?

But keep in mind also that self resonating filters can also function as voices. Things such as Rings, Elements or even Clouds, while not oscillators can function as voices. And then there's the ability to have LPGs as opposed to straight up filters to give a bit of a different sound and feel. You can also ping filters/LPGs to give a completely different type of voice than a merely self resonating filter. Add a contact mic and you've got the capability for a boatload of sounds or "voices." A line input can open up your entire hardware arsenal including your DAW sounds for voices.

I've got 420hp, not quite full and I only have 3 oscillators, but I've got Rings and Clouds, as well as Ears for a contact mic/line input, Three Sisters as a self-resonating filter and another self-resonating filter/LPG. Three Sisters is nice in that if you take a single signal in and the multiple outs for the different bandpass filters, you can actually get a couple different melodic "voices" depending on the knob/switch settings.

You can go an awful long way with some creative choices on just a couple oscillators, filters/LPGs and specialty modules. And then there's the whole, do I even want to run this through a filter argument.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Funny my system is exactly 250. I have five VCOs, two VCFs and a bunch of stuff that isn't exactly a VCO but can generate sound like Rings, Just Friends and four drum modules. Both of my digital VCOs (Braids and Telharmonic) don't really need a VCF with so many ways to control harmonics in the module. The STO can also go filterless depending on its roll in a patch. And I have 2xDixes which spend fairly equal time being an traditional east coast 2VCO->mixer->1 filter setup and just doing LFO duty. I don't really consider it a VCF but I've got the Optomix which can be great for taming harmonics but not really in the "cutoff knob filter sweep" way.

As far as compositions I think both are fun. I can get about 12 simple voices (with drums) out of my system simultaneously which is definitely falls into the
"loads of boring things happening simultaneously" category. The trick is getting all those things to happen at different times and getting them all to leave space for each other - basically a sum is greater than the parts type patch. But I also like doing simple patches where half the rack may go unused but I really let one or two sounds breathe and fill up most of the sonic space.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post

Just spotted this on the EMW website. No details yet, but looks like it could be fun.

Is that 70's 80's 90's switch a reference to decades? The Flint has a similar switch. Seems so cheesy to me. I'm not sure why I care. I'm always interested in new drum modules though.

Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have none of the ones you're jonesing for, but I do have a QVCA as well, so I can tell you what I think of my other VCA's in comparison to that if it helps. (And thank you for making me feel a little less crazy for thinking that VCA's do sound different.)

Asshole SY02 - I like. Kinda vintage sounding, and it has a good filter. Single VCA and huge panel though, so probably not what you're looking for.

Malekko VCA - I really like this one. Dual VCA and 6hp. It reacts to CV like a champ and has a lot punch to it. Very fat sounding.

Laurentide VG2, MengQi DPLG, and PassiVac - I'm lumping these together because they're so similar. The VG2 is a dual vactrol-based with a simple filter (reminiscent of a tone knob on a guitar), but otherwise they're the same as the other two. No punch and an intentionally long decay. I love vactrols and think everyone should have a couple, especially with how cheap and small they are. Very colored sound but in a musical way.

MFB VCA (in my Kraftzwerg) - She's got no punch and it's kinda muffled sounding. I don't use this VCA on its own for audio very often because of it.

Mutable Streams - My least favorite Mutable module. It's got a good compressor, but the VCA itself just never does it for me. Sounds kinda brittle to me. Kind of finnicky, too.

Doepfer QVCA - It's a good utility module. I've always liked it. It's got kind of a neutral tone to it.

Make Noise Moddemix - Probably my least favorite VCA for audio. It colors the sound in a weird way. Almost kinda muddies it up. Fun when pushing it into ring mod territory, but it's just not my thing otherwise.

Hexinverter Galilean Moons - It's a huge module because it does a lot. It's an expander to the Jupiter Storm, but it can function independently as well as a dual looping AR EG with VCA's onboard. Because of its layout, it's really great for percussion and honestly, I'm having trouble recalling if I've ever put something basic through it. Might have to try that sometime, right?

DSM01 - Again, a filter/VCA combo, but I likes it. It gets me damn close to a Pro One sound.

Pittsburgh Synthesizer Box - Using this one as my baseline for their VCA's. It's like the Doepfer. Good utility and kinda neutral. The onboard LPG on the other hand kinda blows.
Hah, you're welcome bro. I don't OCD on panel colors or arrangement, but I OCD in other areas. You're not alone my friend!

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have to look into the Malekko and SY02. Those both sound interesting.

I've got the Meng Qi DPLPG as well as the Thomas White Dual Res LPG. I like the Meng Qi, but it's truthfully only a vactrol-controlled VCA. It doesn't have that same "fizzle" that you get by adding a vactrol-controlled filter component as well.

But I double down with you on everyone should discover the joy of vactrol-controlled VCAs and filters, if nothing else but for something a bit different than your typical filter.

Quote:
Think I wanna try that one. DIY half-newb here, we're just talking about swapping IC's, right?
Yeah. The only TL074's are general purpose OP Amp ICs. There are some more audio-specific, specialized (and more expensive of course) OP Amp ICs that I've seen on some boards you can swap in or out the 074's or better ones. The only potential issue of upgrading the 074's to audio-specific ICs is how would it affect actual CV if you're using the VCA for CV modulation or attenuation. If you're just using the VCA as an audio-only, it may not be an issue. But it is a quad channel OP Amp, so you would hope all the module's input signals run through a single TL074, then all the module's CV inputs run through a different TL074. You could probably just leave the CV's TL074 and only replace the audio/input 074. Would have to look at the schematics to know for certain this is the case, and I'm not smart enough to know if upgrading the CV's TL074 would have any impact on the DC-coupling circuit behavior.

Sorry, long winded I know, but I don't want people thinking just blindly replacing all the TL074's as I'm just not sure how it would affect incoming CV signals or using the VCA for CV as opposed to audio. Maybe @CANecreek can shed some light on this...
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

In the demo video for the Strymon Flint they explain the decade switch and it makes perfect sense, as the original tremolo circuits used in each era were unique with unique characteristics.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Stupid newb question.. is there any way around getting some kind of mixer module?

I've been playing with my current setup - Mother 32, Tonestar 2600 and Lifeforms SV1.. and while they all have external/mix inputs - they're also all pre-VCF/VCA.. so it doesn't really work.

I know I already need to add a second row, but in the meantime - do I just need to suck it up and eat 3 inputs on my console (or submix)?
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Is that 70's 80's 90's switch a reference to decades? The Flint has a similar switch. Seems so cheesy to me. I'm not sure why I care. I'm always interested in new drum modules though.

I think it's a reference to decades. EMW's put it on other modules before. It's corny, but at least it's some sort of 'cohesive' grouping. I'm curious to see what drum machines got included in the '90's' group.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have to look into the Malekko and SY02. Those both sound interesting.
Since I'm in demo-recording mode, did you want me to get something recorded for you so you can compare them? If so, let me know what you'd like running through them and what modulation you need.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

I know everybody in the NAMM thread is complaining that we didn't get many new synths this year, but I think we got a deluge of modules out of this. You guys see all the new stuff posted on Modular Grid?

Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Any thoughts on these?

Quote:
Hi, I have just been trying to figure out my new Disting and having selected a mode (I have been trying out the delays), when I rotate the top knob it makes a static clicking sound. Has anyone else experienced this?
Did you ever figure this out? This is post selecting the mode you want to select?

It seems to be okay now. I think maybe it was picking up static. I have just got a uVCA2 but have no comparison except for Veils which is not on your list.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search