The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 22nd January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Here we go, Gentlemen. Did the first step...
And what a lovely first step it is, congratulations.
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Hi, I have just been trying to figure out my new Disting and having selected a mode (I have been trying out the delays), when I rotate the top knob it makes a static clicking sound. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
If you're planning on having the four put together and never moving them again, the Synthrotek rails are a little cheaper. Sliding nuts, but at a $15 price difference, it'd be worth putting up with if you're never going to rearrange the rack.

3U Eurorack Brackets

This is what you mean, right?

What accessories on this page would I need to be complete? I would buy this for 84hp size, I don't think I need screws because the Airas came with some? I'm not sure what a sliding nut is exactly, but I plan I sticking these in there and being done with them.

Thanks
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e3p0 View Post
That is a good way to get the word out. Have you built up the ring mod?
No those pictures i took today thats my actual card,
If it had a panel id of built it by now but the fact I've got that much stuff to build with panels its well down the list. Looks like a 2HP panel would do as it only has 3 jacks.
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Trouble in Sloth land.....

I built the triple sloth and because the LEDs worked i just assumed it was ok,
tested it this morning and all of the outputs are not doing anything apart from two.
The two that are working are on the Torpor channel but react to what the LED is doing on the Apathy channel
Every time i reflow all the components the sloth works differently

Going to sit now with the schematics and a loupe to make sure all the resistors are correct
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Trouble in Sloth land.....

I built the triple sloth and because the LEDs worked i just assumed it was ok,
tested it this morning and all of the outputs are not doing anything apart from two.
The two that are working are on the Torpor channel but react to what the LED is doing on the Apathy channel
Every time i reflow all the components the sloth works differently

Going to sit now with the schematics and a loupe to make sure all the resistors are correct
Uh oh! Which one is Torpor - the fast, med or sloooooooow one? I've really only tested mine with the fast and med. The slow one takes too long to generate the patterns and my poor little oscilloscope can't wait that long. Have you tried running it through your scope on X/Y mode?

If you reflow and it functions differently, that ain't right...

Bummer dude!
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
3U Eurorack Brackets

What accessories on this page would I need to be complete? I would buy this for 84hp size, I don't think I need screws because the Airas came with some? I'm not sure what a sliding nut is exactly, but I plan I sticking these in there and being done with them.

Thanks
Wow, actually cheaper than what I just bought. I've gotta remember to buy direct from them more often!

For accessories, you'll want slide nuts, 84hp rails, and 2.5mm screws. (The ones that come with the Airas are 3mm)

Sliding nuts are just these little nuts that slide around inside of the rail. You stick them in the end, position them, and screw the module down to them. (They'll make more sense when you see them.) A threaded strip is just a single piece of metal that's pretapped.
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
=
Sliding nuts are just these little nuts that slide around inside of the rail.
Such an innocuous description of the evil, malicious little things.

Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow, actually cheaper than what I just bought. I've gotta remember to buy direct from them more often!

For accessories, you'll want slide nuts, 84hp rails, and 2.5mm screws. (The ones that come with the Airas are 3mm)

Sliding nuts are just these little nuts that slide around inside of the rail. You stick them in the end, position them, and screw the module down to them. (They'll make more sense when you see them.) A threaded strip is just a single piece of metal that's pretapped.
Thanks again
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Sunday armchair noodling and nice lights. Have made some improvements to my DIY build and realise I need to raise the back up - mainly because I can't see the options on Disting obstructed by the knobs. Just got some utilities to add in: Uvca 2, Triatt and WMD Ultrafold.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-20170122_210245.jpg  
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
3U Eurorack Brackets

Thanks
84hp 6u seems to be the most popular compact size. I'm sure you've considered this but I went for 104hp which was about right for me, but I might have even gone to 110hp. Although I went for the cheapest choice and bought rails rather than a case, which gives me flexibility and still deciding how large my second row should be. It fills up quickly.
Old 23rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Uh oh! Which one is Torpor - the fast, med or sloooooooow one? I've really only tested mine with the fast and med. The slow one takes too long to generate the patterns and my poor little oscilloscope can't wait that long. Have you tried running it through your scope on X/Y mode?

If you reflow and it functions differently, that ain't right...

Bummer dude!
Andrew from NLC replied to my post on Muffs and I think he is scratching his head too. I'll have another mess with it tomorrow have a poke about with the multi-meter. Shame because if I can get it working I think I'll build another one.
Old 23rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
84hp 6u seems to be the most popular compact size. I'm sure you've considered this but I went for 104hp which was about right for me, but I might have even gone to 110hp. Although I went for the cheapest choice and bought rails rather than a case, which gives me flexibility and still deciding how large my second row should be. It fills up quickly.
Thanks, but I have a specific Aira-based "closed" system in mind, not really looking to use these rails with traditional euro. The 84hp will be exactly full and that's my intention.
Old 23rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Andrew from NLC replied to my post on Muffs and I think he is scratching his head too. I'll have another mess with it tomorrow have a poke about with the multi-meter. Shame because if I can get it working I think I'll build another one.
Yeah I saw that. The fact the circuits are all isolated doesn't bode well to tracking this one down. It wouldn't seem that it's wonky ICs though I wouldn't think, if re-flowing produces different results.

I'm finally getting around to re-arranging my case. It was starting to irk me having the SCM on the bottom row and all the other clock stuff at the top. Same w/ the AJH minimod VCO from all my other VCOs. Moving stuff around with sliding nuts sucks.
Old 23rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi, I have just been trying to figure out my new Disting and having selected a mode (I have been trying out the delays), when I rotate the top knob it makes a static clicking sound. Has anyone else experienced this?
Which specific bank and mode? I'll try it on mine if you want a second check.
Old 23rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
It wouldn't seem that it's wonky ICs though I wouldn't think, if re-flowing produces different results.
No, i can get in that close with the Loupe looking at each IC leg is like looking at a tree trunk

The whole build appears perfect, so i assume i may have a faulty Op-amp.

Quote:
I'm finally getting around to re-arranging my case. It was starting to irk me having the SCM on the bottom row and all the other clock stuff at the top. Same w/ the AJH minimod VCO from all my other VCOs. Moving stuff around with sliding nuts sucks.
Arranging your case can be tricky especially as it grows.

I used to keep all the voices together but as my rack grew i found this didn't work out as you usually needed long cables to reach everything else.
Currently i keep all modulation/clocks sources in the middle of the rack and surround them in voices, and all my sequencers at the bottom, this seems to work well for me.
As for sliding nuts I've never had the "Pleasure" of using them
Old 23rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty.west View Post
Getting my very first module tomorrow, a Modcan Quad LFO; very excited!
you're starting with a module I've written off as unobtanium. damn.
Old 23rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Arranging your case can be tricky especially as it grows.

I used to keep all the voices together but as my rack grew i found this didn't work out as you usually needed long cables to reach everything else.
Currently i keep all modulation/clocks sources in the middle of the rack and surround them in voices, and all my sequencers at the bottom, this seems to work well for me.
Ain't that the truth? I went through the effort of grouping everything together by function just to find that cable runs were ridiculously long and I couldn't use any of my six inch cables anymore. And anytime that I added a new module, rearranging became a nightmare. I finally had to pull everything out and just randomize the order. I still get long cable runs occasionally with one cable having to stretch across four racks, but at least around each module are a few other modules that work well with it.
Old 23rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Not very sexy, but I sold my Synthrotek Super Power and grabbed another one of these. Might be getting another one soon.

I wanted to love the Super Power so much, but the onrush power issue is just too irritating to deal with, so I'm going to start powering each of my six row racks with two uZeus's. It's cost-effective and in spite of the harsh words thrown around about them, the only problems I've ever had with them were with the crappy starter supplies and when I stupidly overpower them. Sacrilege I know, but for the sake of uniformity, I plan to eventually replace my Doepfer power supply with a pair of these as well.

Edit: Bought a second one. Just gotta scare up another power supply now.

Last edited by Derp; 23rd January 2017 at 05:39 PM..
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, but I have a specific Aira-based "closed" system in mind, not really looking to use these rails with traditional euro. The 84hp will be exactly full and that's my intention.
This one? Really nice case.

Roland SYR-E84 Eurorack Case at Gear4music.com
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

I just bought some utilities/modulation modules used that look interesting that I don't know. My strategy is to pick up used modules and try them out and sell them on without losing anything if I don't like them. I've decided to hold off on $500 modules until I understand the basics. I just got Triatt, Uvca, Ultrafold and Modemix.

My story so far...

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/rack...jpg?1485217554
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Kind of expensive for his purpose, though. He's going to be powering the Airas with their own power supplies and then mounting them on a pedalboard.

...believe me, I've really had to restrain myself from telling him to get another 84hp so he can start modulating those bad boys.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

In my moving from SoundCloud, I snagged a couple of my old faves and put them on YouTube:

This one was fun because of the emphasis on making something 'real'. The power of synthesis is amazing. This was done when I figured out that my Elements was in 2-OP FM mode since I had bought it, so I switched it to its normal mode. The slappy percussion was Elements, the bells were Braids, and the thunderous percussion was me pounding the DotCom case that was situated above the rack holding the Mikrophonie at the time.

Make Noise Maths
Pittsburgh Analog Delay
Mutable Braids
Mutable Elements
Hexinverter Galilean Moons
Waldorf NW1
Blue Lantern BMX
Arturia Beatstep Pro
Analogue Solutions Adaptor
Doepfer A-143-3 Quad LFO
Music Thing Mikrophonie
Pittsburgh Verbtronic
Flame FX-16
Qu-Bit RT60

Probably my best attempt at power noise. This was right after I got Warps and figured out about its zany distortabilities. I was lucky enough to have one of my heroes tell me it was terrible! He knows who I am!

Ammunition:
Make Noise Maths
WMD PDO
Mutable Tides
4ms Noise Swash
Pittsburgh Analog Delay
Mutable Warps
Mutable Clouds
Pittsburgh LFO2
4ms Atoner
Mutable Peaks (in FM drum mode)
Make Noise Mysteron
Delptronics Triggerman
Mutable Grids
Music Thing Radio Music
EMW Analog Drum Synth
Intellijel Unity Mixer
Pittsburgh Synthesizer Box
Qi Meng DPLPG
Blue Lantern BMX
Analogue Solutions Adaptor
Roland Scooper
MFB Kraftzwerg
Audio Damage Grainshift
Doepfer A-156 Quantizer
Doepfer A-143-3 Quad LFO
Pittsburgh Generator
Bastl CV Trinity
Pittsburgh Verbtronic
Flame FX-16
Audio Damage Aeverb
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
This one was fun because of the emphasis on making something 'real'. The power of synthesis is amazing. This was done when I figured out that my Elements was in 2-OP FM mode since I had bought it, so I switched it to its normal mode. The slappy percussion was Elements, the bells were Braids, and the thunderous percussion was me pounding the DotCom case that was situated above the rack holding the Mikrophonie at the time.
The Bell sound on my Braids sounds nothing like that. How do you get that sound and what am I am doing wrong?
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, overkill for me though. Literally just looking at clean/cheap ways to strap them down on a pedal board, besides Velcro. Or will just take a cheap small rack case and throw these in on rails with their own power. Have something specific in mind..
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Kind of expensive for his purpose, though. He's going to be powering the Airas with their own power supplies and then mounting them on a pedalboard.

...believe me, I've really had to restrain myself from telling him to get another 84hp so he can start modulating those bad boys.

One step at a time...
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, overkill for me though. Literally just looking at clean/cheap ways to strap them down on a pedal board, besides Velcro. Or will just take a cheap small rack case and throw these in on rails with their own power. Have something specific in mind..
I'd get those Synthrotek rails and rack ear then throw them in a eurorack Bento box. May be a bit expensive at first, but the first time I took my rack out of the house, I somehow broke the encoder off my Yarns module. Buying something like a Bento box is cheaper than replacing one of those modules.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Bell sound on my Braids sounds nothing like that. How do you get that sound and what am I am doing wrong?
That was funny. I was trying to recreate that sound and it took a while to figure it out. I started thinking I misremembered the patch and that it was actually the Elements that made the bell, but I got the slappy percussion thing immediately. Thought I was losing my mind.

So anyway, the way to get there is to put Braids into 'Bell' mode (duh), and then turn the timbre almost all the way up and the color almost all the way up. The little modulations like it's vibrating when it gets struck are actually coming from the Verbtronic set to 'tronic' mode (which is kind of like a reverb with a bit of delay on it). That sound is mostly in the reverb.

The sequence itself was odd. Braids has a weird way of reacting to CV, so the alternation between the high and low bell was caused by the Beatstep alternating between octaves and a square LFO was sent to the trigger. The clattery bell at the end was caused by unplugging the CV input.

Hope that helps.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Anything particularly negative about these three Oscillators, individually and as a set?

* EMW Alias
* Stephcorp Oscillarp
* Metasonix RK4
Old 24th January 2017
Gear Guru

I made the wrong decision early on when building mine to buy too many oscillators, I was not understanding really what the idea was and way too many of them, I wish I'd taken my time better and bought more variety and utilities and random stuff, I think I have around 9 or 10 oscillators..you really only need a couple of your fav ones..
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search