The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 3rd January 2017
  #61
Lives for gear
 
drxcm's Avatar
 

For those planning systems, it's worth mentioning that modulargrid allows you to search by module type / manufacturer etc, but also allows you to list them in order of highest to lowest popularity based on the appearance of those modules in other user's racks.

It's a pretty nice way of getting to grips with the most popular stuff and allows you to easily visually compare how one osc differs from another for example.
1
Share
Old 3rd January 2017
  #62
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty.west View Post
okay, just gonna' come right out and ask... how am i supposed to know what each vco is based off? i.e. dpo, verbos complex, furthrrrr generator = buchla (only gathered that after some reading). same question for vcf's as well.
Just be careful about how many filters you buy as they can be addictive at first but amazingly enough in the land of Euro filters become expendable as other modules become far more interesting and useful.
Old 3rd January 2017
  #63
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty.west View Post
okay, just gonna' come right out and ask... how am i supposed to know what each vco is based off? i.e. dpo, verbos complex, furthrrrr generator = buchla (only gathered that after some reading). same question for vcf's as well.
Lots and lots of reading, there's really no substitute. There are so many threads discussing the 259 vs. the 258, the 901 vs. the 921, the DUSG vs. the 180 (I think?)...Of course you don't really need this kind of information to operate a modular but it's definitely useful for building. Once you have a good sense of, for example, what the 259 is and how it operates it becomes pretty obvious when you're looking at an oscillator designed from that legacy. Others will be less obvious and take digging; it's not printed on their website or any of the sales material but some reading will reveal that the Macbeth Micromac filter is based on the Moog Source. But overall pretty much any question you might have about a clone or a particular module has probably already been asked more than once; you just have to track down the answers.
Old 3rd January 2017
  #64
Gear Maniac
 
Strawberry's Avatar
For general info I found this series really helpful:https://youtu.be/h9tMFyKxbrI

Just ordered a 4ms smr......cant wait!!
1
Share
Old 3rd January 2017
  #65
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
I had no idea that the A-111-5 existed.. but it's discontinued?! Why?
Because the CEM3394 has been discontinued
1
Share
Old 3rd January 2017
  #66
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
I posted my first modular video. Shot on an iPhone but audio is recorded into Logic. If you stay til the end there's a "mic drop" where I knock the phone off my wife's tripod. I really need to up my video game. I tried to use iMovie but ended up doing it all in Logic.



Patch notes:
- Beatstep pro drums pattern chained, main sequence ping pong mode
- Alternate sequence is Kinks S&H of the main sequence triggered by a A-160-2
- Main sequence voice is Braids in ZLPF mode (I love the Z* modes)
- Alternate sequence voice is STO and Optomix
- Bass is Dixie and 3 Sisters just doing a LPF
- Telharmonic, Rings, Clouds doing atmospherics
- Kick is Neuron
- Other drums are tiptop HH and clap
- Lightly compressed the stereo into DAW with a BC501
10
Share
Old 3rd January 2017
  #67
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I posted my first modular video. Shot on an iPhone but audio is recorded into Logic. If you stay til the end there's a "mic drop" where I knock the phone off my wife's tripod. I really need to up my video game. I tried to use iMovie but ended up doing it all in Logic.



Patch notes:
- Beatstep pro drums pattern chained, main sequence ping pong mode
- Alternate sequence is Kinks S&H of the main sequence triggered by a A-160-2
- Main sequence voice is Braids in ZLPF mode (I love the Z* modes)
- Alternate sequence voice is STO and Optomix
- Bass is Dixie and 3 Sisters just doing a LPF
- Telharmonic, Rings, Clouds doing atmospherics
- Kick is Neuron
- Other drums are tiptop HH and clap
- Lightly compressed the stereo into DAW with a BC501
Nice job!
Old 3rd January 2017
  #68
Gear Addict
many thanks for your help, guys. i'm already beginning to slowly grasp the concepts and will look into some books to help further. my issue is that i never properly learned synthesis, always having just gone at it via trial and error. but over the past few weeks i've been learning the basics, which has helped quite a bit, and i feel a small modular system will help me understand even better as everything is broken down/compartmentalized and at your discretion to patch together (and therefore make a congruent sound with). i was looking to start with an effects rack, but think i'll go 'all out' and make a full on synth w/ effects and all that. have been on modulargrid planning something... 9u fills up quicker than i thought!

i'm seriously considering the endorphins.es furthrrrr generator as my main vco, but am also considering the sputnik and dpo. macbeth dual would be cool, too, but i just got a model d reissue and think maybe it'd be a bit redundant? i've only been researching vco's for now, vcf's will no doubt be an even bigger hassle to settle on... and then everything else! one thing i know for sure is that i want an erbe-verbe and phonogene. i'll keep you guys posted! thanks again.
Old 3rd January 2017
  #69
Lives for gear
 
Eric J's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I posted my first modular video. Shot on an iPhone but audio is recorded into Logic. If you stay til the end there's a "mic drop" where I knock the phone off my wife's tripod. I really need to up my video game. I tried to use iMovie but ended up doing it all in Logic.



Patch notes:
- Beatstep pro drums pattern chained, main sequence ping pong mode
- Alternate sequence is Kinks S&H of the main sequence triggered by a A-160-2
- Main sequence voice is Braids in ZLPF mode (I love the Z* modes)
- Alternate sequence voice is STO and Optomix
- Bass is Dixie and 3 Sisters just doing a LPF
- Telharmonic, Rings, Clouds doing atmospherics
- Kick is Neuron
- Other drums are tiptop HH and clap
- Lightly compressed the stereo into DAW with a BC501
Lovely.
Old 3rd January 2017
  #70
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty.west View Post
many thanks for your help, guys. i'm already beginning to slowly grasp the concepts and will look into some books to help further. my issue is that i never properly learned synthesis, always having just gone at it via trial and error. but over the past few weeks i've been learning the basics, which has helped quite a bit, and i feel a small modular system will help me understand even better as everything is broken down/compartmentalized and at your discretion to patch together (and therefore make a congruent sound with). i was looking to start with an effects rack, but think i'll go 'all out' and make a full on synth w/ effects and all that. have been on modulargrid planning something... 9u fills up quicker than i thought!
It sure does fill up quick! I just wanted to address the point about not having learned synthesis yet: this is actually an asset in my opinion. Instead of having your synthesis basics tied to some weird keyboard where all the modulation and VCAs are happening behind the scenes you are going to learn with all ins, outs and pathways exposed. IMO this is a great way to learn synthesis.

Quote:
i'm seriously considering the endorphins.es furthrrrr generator as my main vco, but am also considering the sputnik and dpo. macbeth dual would be cool, too, but i just got a model d reissue and think maybe it'd be a bit redundant? i've only been researching vco's for now, vcf's will no doubt be an even bigger hassle to settle on... and then everything else! one thing i know for sure is that i want an erbe-verbe and phonogene. i'll keep you guys posted! thanks again.
Complex VCOs are serious fun. Between the Furthrrr, DPO, Sputnik Dual is a tough choice, they're all pretty nice and they all seem to excel in different areas. Personally I would lean towards the DPO because the Make Noise STO is basically my favorite West Coast VCO; I imagine the DPO must share some of its qualities. But many say that the Sputnik is closer to the 'classic' 259 sound. And there are others, Verbos makes one, there's a new DIY one that looks pretty full featured...and some people have taken to building their own modular COs using a pair of oscillators, a wave folder, a VCA, etc. (Intellijel Rubicon is very popular in these threads and, as an owner, I can verify very good for the task; also an excellent vanilla East Coast VCO which makes it a real winner for versatility but you definitely a modulator and a wave folder and a VCA to get close to CO features).

And then, just to muddy the waters a little more, there are those of us (I think chrisso too) who prefer the sound of the Buchla 258 heritage versus the 259 COs. So my CO is a pair of the Sputnik 258s, the Nonlinear Circuits folder (basically a copy of the easel's wave folder apparently) and a dual VCA. And if I had to do it all over again I'd probably do something similar but with STOs instead of Sputniks.

As to the Macbeth...if you plan to pair it with a 4-pole low pass transistor ladder then yes, I think that's a bit redundant with your Model D. But if you're planning to pair it with something more exotic than that then maybe not. I will say that Macbeth and Cwejman make excellent products but people tend to hyperbolize their excellence on the basis of their rarity (which is where Cwejman and Macbeth really 'succeed': in keeping a product line so rare that people who have never even heard the modules post all over forums about how badass they are). I wouldn't choose the Macbeth personally as I think there are better choices (depending on whether I wanted something vintage, something convenient, something small in hps, etc.).
1
Share
Old 3rd January 2017
  #71
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
You might want ot see if this guy will part out his system. Just go lightly when it comes to annihilating us. The Modular Thread 2017Intellijel Metropolis Doepfer A-111-5 Dave Smith DSM01 An.Systems Noise + case
Looking over the description, I think he already knows the value of what he's got, so not really worth it for me.
Old 3rd January 2017
  #72
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
I had no idea that the A-111-5 existed.. but it's discontinued?! Why? A eurorack darkstar is freaking awesome!
The A-111-5 uses the CEM3394 and those all got used up, hence why he also switched the Dark Energy to mkII.
Old 3rd January 2017
  #73
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Personally I would lean towards the DPO because the Make Noise STO is basically my favorite West Coast VCO; I imagine the DPO must share some of its qualities.
I've got both and they're very different from each other. Very complementary oscillators, so kudos to Make Noise for making two different oscillators with next to no overlap. I wouldn't mind getting a second STO one day.
Old 3rd January 2017
  #74
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
So for those of you that have the modular as the focal point of your system, what synths do you like pairing up with it?

I'm asking because I grabbed that Synthmaster VST while Guitar Center was blowing them out for ten bucks (first softsynth I've bought in a looooooooong time). It sounds surprisingly good, but it's got kind of a convoluted interface (I still can't even find where to tweak all of the effects for instance) and while certain aspects of programming are well thought-out (drag & drop of modulation parameters is great and the 'bend' parameters are really fun), mousing around isn't very satisfying. Honestly, it's got me kind of missing the Virus TI, but I'm reluctant to buy one again because as brilliantly designed as that synth was, it sounded kinda crappy. Basically I'm looking for something multitimbral, easy to program, with a variety of synthesis methods onboard, but it's gotta actually sound good. But I'm still genuinely curious what you guys like pairing up with your modulars.

Last edited by Derp; 3rd January 2017 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: I AM SO SMRT. S-M-R-T!
Old 3rd January 2017
  #75
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

@smitty.west whilst your checking out oscillators make sure you have a look at Dreadbox Omikron.
1
Share
Old 3rd January 2017
  #76
So I got Grids up and running and it seems to be working fine. Triggers fire normally on all outputs, and they function normally on 2/3(EMW T-Drum, MI Peaks, Neuron) drum modules . However, my Audio Damage Neuron doesn't seem to like the triggers Grids sends, and it only fires about 1/5 of the time or so. Nothing regular or trackable, seems really random. I tried running the trig through my Triatt and my Bipolar VCA to add or subtract voltage and this did nothing. Neuron responds to all of my other trigger sources normally too, so I am stumped. Any ideas?



@subdo- Great video, very dense sounds (in a good way). Make some more like that for sure, and your video is fine too.
Old 3rd January 2017
  #77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
@smitty.west whilst your checking out oscillators make sure you have a look at Dreadbox Omikron.
I agree the Omikron is a standout for giant analog sound. I am sorta debating between that and this one-

The precision tracking aspect along with the other features combined with the price make this one a no-brainer IMO. Not at all saying one is better than the other, I just don't have room for any more analog oscillators in my current build.
Old 3rd January 2017
  #78
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Any ideas?
I'm no expert but would changing Grids clock resolution help ?
Grids manual Explains how to do this.
Old 3rd January 2017
  #79
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
Spectrum, Omikron, AJH, Aion, Analogue Solutions...tons of great sawtooth cores out there. Well there are actually a bunch of great triangle cores too. No shortage of VCO choices in Eurorack (and thus far these posts have mostly just been about analog VCOs, there's a whole slew of digital oscillators as well).

Derp: that's interesting about the DPO, never owned one. I thought Tony said the DPO oscillators shared a core in common with the STO; though the STO's VARI OUT is pretty distinctive, I could see how there's no real analog to that on the DPO.

Last edited by ngarjuna; 3rd January 2017 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: grammars is hard
Old 3rd January 2017
  #80
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

@slaughtrhaus yes Spectrum was mentioned on the last thread, we were miffed how such a capable looking module seemed to get overlooked.

I'll certainly keep spectrum in my want list.
Old 3rd January 2017
  #81
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
So I got Grids up and running and it seems to be working fine. Triggers fire normally on all outputs, and they function normally on 2/3(EMW T-Drum, MI Peaks, Neuron) drum modules . However, my Audio Damage Neuron doesn't seem to like the triggers Grids sends, and it only fires about 1/5 of the time or so. Nothing regular or trackable, seems really random. I tried running the trig through my Triatt and my Bipolar VCA to add or subtract voltage and this did nothing. Neuron responds to all of my other trigger sources normally too, so I am stumped. Any ideas?
Change it from Trigger output mode to Gate output. Some modules don't like triggers that short for some reason. Watch out though because some modules don't like triggers to be too long, either. If you find the latter to be the case, I've found that as a workaround, sending the trigger through some sort of distortion module beefs it up to long enough to trigger the modules that don't like short triggers so you can keep the other two channels short.
1
Share
Old 3rd January 2017
  #82
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Derp: that's interesting about the DPO, never owned one. I thought Tony said the DPO oscillators shared a core in common with the STO; though the STO's VARI OUT is pretty distinctive, I could see how there's no real analog to that on the DPO.
And that's the trick there is that the DPO doesn't have the sub out and it's got a shapeable out as opposed to the variable out, but it takes it in a whole other direction from the STO. They're both fantastic.
Old 3rd January 2017
  #83
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty.west View Post
many thanks for your help, guys. i'm already beginning to slowly grasp the concepts and will look into some books to help further. my issue is that i never properly learned synthesis, always having just gone at it via trial and error. but over the past few weeks i've been learning the basics, which has helped quite a bit, and i feel a small modular system will help me understand even better as everything is broken down/compartmentalized and at your discretion to patch together (and therefore make a congruent sound with).
My experience has been that going modular has made me a better synth programmer overall - even when going back to my non-modular. So, having little experience in synthesis may be a plus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
So for those of you that have the modular as the focal point of your system, what synths do you like pairing up with it?

I'm asking because I grabbed that VST while Guitar Center was blowing them out for ten bucks (first softsynth I've bought in a looooooooong time).
OB-6 is fantastic for adding poly, but it's got a bit of a gritty/sizzle due to the 12db filters on it too.

Also, Rhodes piano and piano in general.

When you say you picked up "that VST" which VST are you referring to?
Old 3rd January 2017
  #84
Lives for gear
 
Hokut's Avatar
 

Hi guys, been off the new modular during holiday time (family and stuff).
if you remember the setup I put together just before Christmas had a few empty HPs in the first row of the base-case.

(Empty HPs in second row and the rest of the Monster Case at the top it's going to stay empty for a long while)
The empty HPs in the flat first row were spoken for with some Ladik stuff I had ordered but the Ladik modules were the only ones that got stuck into the holiday postal slow down.

Vladislv at Ladik did act quick in making my custom order for 'Red' face panels for the modules I ordered and he did ship in a timely manner. Items got into UK well before Christmas but that's where they stopped ... BUT finally today I received these


Going to screw these module in tonight. I have been messing about with the top left of my rows (the Mutable Instruments stuff) plus Batumi and the Mutant Drums... and I love it!
3
Share
Old 3rd January 2017
  #85
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
OB-6 is fantastic for adding poly, but it's got a bit of a gritty/sizzle due to the 12db filters on it too.
Interesting choice there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
When you say you picked up "that VST" which VST are you referring to?
You know THAT VST. I can't make it any more clear!

Synthmaster 2.8. I'm seriously very impressed with it overall, but working with a mouse makes me want to punch a baby in the face. I got it mainly because it can take .wav samples and I was hoping to have a quick workaround for one of Renoise's shortcomings (though @robot gigante pointed me in the direction of a possibly better fix.) I've been playing around with it and it sounds/feels like a Virus with 'roid rage so I got curious to know if there's a better option.
Old 3rd January 2017
  #86
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I'm no expert but would changing Grids clock resolution help ?
Grids manual Explains how to do this.
Yep it sure does...someday I'll RTFM before I get high and start wiggling...someday...



Saw cane's post, read the manual and got it working before reading-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Change it from Trigger output mode to Gate output.
Winner winner, chicken dinner (chicken dinner not included in prize since I figured it out myself).
1
Share
Old 3rd January 2017
  #87
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
someday I'll RTFM
Same here. While searching for that, I found out about the swing time setting. I've always thought that my Grids didn't sound robot enough, so I'm betting the previous owner had this engaged.
Old 3rd January 2017
  #88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Same here. While searching for that, I found out about the swing time setting. I've always thought that my Grids didn't sound robot enough, so I'm betting the previous owner had this engaged.
The hazards of buying anything with "secret" modes used.
2
Share
Old 3rd January 2017
  #89
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
The hazards of buying anything with "secret" modes used.
Countdown until Oliver and company step in here to lecture us...

2
Share
Old 3rd January 2017
  #90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Countdown until Olivier and company step in here to lecture us...
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump