The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 22nd January 2017
  #841
Gear Addict
Getting my very first module tomorrow, a Modcan Quad LFO; very excited!
The rest will come over the next couple weeks. 9u case filled just like that- this is gonna' be a pricey hobby... and I'm used to pricey hobbies by way of vintage guitars!
Will post a photo (and hopefully some audio examples) in a couple weeks time.
I will say that I ended up going for a significantly different system than I originally planned. Still deciding on a couple modules.
2
Share
Old 22nd January 2017
  #842
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
So if I have a set of Aira fx modules, and no euro rack case, is the cheapest semi-elegant way to secure these things with a set of tip top rails and screw it all together? No euro power, just using Aira's own wall warts. I want to throw these on a pedal board, but maybe not in a Velcro way.
If you're planning on having the four put together and never moving them again, the Synthrotek rails are a little cheaper. Sliding nuts, but at a $15 price difference, it'd be worth putting up with if you're never going to rearrange the rack.
Old 22nd January 2017
  #843
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
I'm getting close to making up my mind:

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_393163.jpg?1485042346

It's clear this isn't going to be inexpensive.
A 9U filter bank ?
1
Share
Old 22nd January 2017
  #844
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Alright everyone, what do we say? "Not enough VCAs!". I also see no envelopes or modulation. Advice is get a good sized case, but only pick up a few modules at a time to learn what you need.
I'd also add, there's a lack of sound sources. Just the Moog oscillators are gonna leave you kinda bored. Even if you're planning on sending oscillator outs on the Yarns, that's gonna leave you pretty lacking. Trim the filters and get yourself more things to filter. You mentioned 'inexpensive', there's a lot of cheap oscillators and such out there to pick from.

From the outset, it looks like you think you know what you want, when you probably won't really know until you start. Start with the biggest case you can afford, and build a voice. Don't pick out a single voice module, just put together one with an oscillator, filter, vca, and some modulation. Once you have that first voice put together, it should become easier to figure out what it is that you really want it to do, so you can scrap that whole plan and start going for the system you really want.
Old 22nd January 2017
  #845
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
If you're planning on having the four put together and never moving them again, the Synthrotek rails are a little cheaper. Sliding nuts, but at a $15 price difference, it'd be worth putting up with if you're never going to rearrange the rack.
Thanks, yes I just intend to line them up and keep them out of any future euro case I may purchase. I have a specific purpose in mind ATM.
Old 22nd January 2017
  #846
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
well i hope that 8106 sounds better than in that semi distorted brief demo.

anyways, while they have a nice sexy juno 106 theme on their panel, there are many, many others who have touched the Roland filter theme in euro. my point being, do yourself a favor and investigate a bit before jumping the gun.


fwiw i use a good number of golden age rolands and recently i have found a filter that blew me away, that sounds somewhere btwn the sound of my SH2 (cascaded BA662) and Sh101 (IR3109)- its Omsonic Really nice Filter, built with BA6110. VCA and discrete VCO+SUB sound good too. i am considering Doepfer A-111-2 for cem3340 sound and pair it with RNF vcf and vca, and two Fcuk X-Env i already have, for a quasi micro-sh101 in my travel case, so i can finally leave the sh101 at home. i do have the fabulous AM8109 with IR3109 but it sounds almost exactly like the silky JP8, which Roland connosieurs know is a little different sound from the SH serie. to others difference will be negligable.

anyways, you be the judge:




edit: alternatively, if you are looking for exact tone of Juno 106, there is no NOS-based replica utilizing the infamous 80017A. however this chip was made by smt-ing, miniaturising the IR3109, so the AM8109 should still be your best bet. its only downside is not skiff friendly.
Nice! That filter is really inexpensive too, just emailed to see if/when they'll be in stock again. I have one empty filter spot in my design and have gone back and forth on a few choices but that RNF would be just about perfect.
Old 22nd January 2017
  #847
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Alright everyone, what do we say? "Not enough VCAs!". I also see no envelopes or modulation. Advice is get a good sized case, but only pick up a few modules at a time to learn what you need.
Thanks for the feedback. I won't actually be buying everything at once, it's more representative of a near-term-plan meets wish-list that helps me gauge size and cost and determine priorities, while I continue learning about all-things modular.

My goals are, at this stage, pretty simple. Prior to digging into modular options I was set to buy (replace after a theft) several keyboards and traditional modules, some of which I only really wanted a function or two out of anyway.

The basic idea now is - pick up a Minitaur for bass lines, a Mother32 for leads and pads and such, and rather than also buying things like a MS20 Mini, a Karp, a Bass Station, a Pulse +, and so on, just get various modules/filters/euro toys instead.

At this stage my goals are less about "modular synthesis" in a traditional sense, and more about getting new gear vs old, taking up less space in my studio, not having several physical keyboards when I don't need them, and junk like that.

I used to own a vintage MiniMoog, a Juno 106, a DX7, and other things, and now that I've started over I already have Live and a few VST synths and toys, so this first jump into modular is more about adding primarily analog toys to my rig.

That said, I probably do need more things like VCAs to accompany what I've picked out so far, but honestly - I have more learning and thinking to do before I can even pick them out in a well reasoned manner. Picking filters/etc is easy...

Thanks again for the feedback. Keep it coming, please. Like, how many VCAs, for what - specifically? Most of the filters and such I've picked out so far are really just extra effects/etc to enhance the Minitaur, Mother, and Virtual gear I have now.
Old 22nd January 2017
  #848
Lives for gear
 

Just to add, I also have electric and acoustic guitars, guitar amps, a midi pickup for a guitar, mics, midi controllers, outboard mixer, various analog stomp boxes, and all that, with tons of samples, and each track will draw from all of those things, centered around fairly complex tracks/sessions in Ableton, and though I'm new to modular synthesis and only about six months into starting over after a ten year break - I have tons of experience in making electronic and traditional music and DJing with these sorts of gear, just nothing much recent or modular...

No bragging or whatever, I simply hope that provides useful context. Thanks again...
Old 22nd January 2017
  #849
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
I got the EMW Alias DVCO today. It aliases so much it's just... it's freaking beautiful. Weird comparison I know, but it reminds me of the oscillators in the Novation X-Station. I'm trying to talk myself out of buying a second one, but it's hard. I patched the DVCO into the Bitrazer's filter and it's just phenomenal sounding. I heart this oscillator so much.
Old 22nd January 2017
  #850
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
(replace after a theft)
I'm sorry to hear that. My apartment got robbed on three separate occasions years back and it's hard seeing your prized possessions taken away that easily. The nice thing about keeping my modular in 20u racks is that they're much harder to steal.
Old 22nd January 2017
  #851
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I'm sorry to hear that. My apartment got robbed on three separate occasions years back and it's hard seeing your prized possessions taken away that easily. The nice thing about keeping my modular in 20u racks is that they're much harder to steal.
Thanks. Sorry to hear about your loss, too. It's a f--king pisser for sure. I lost everything at once, no insurance, more than a decade's worth of gear buying, thousands of dollars worth, gone. But what can you do, I love it all too much to quit forever, it's simply taken almost 10yrs to get my motivation back and be able to afford to gear up again, and I'm barely 6 months into that process, and have about $5000 usd to spend in the coming months as most of my budget for 2017.

These days I have good insurance, dogs, guns, security, and a smaller circle.
Old 22nd January 2017
  #852
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty.west View Post
Getting my very first module tomorrow, a Modcan Quad LFO; very excited!
The rest will come over the next couple weeks. 9u case filled just like that- this is gonna' be a pricey hobby... and I'm used to pricey hobbies by way of vintage guitars!
Will post a photo (and hopefully some audio examples) in a couple weeks time.
I will say that I ended up going for a significantly different system than I originally planned. Still deciding on a couple modules.
You've got 9u already purchased to "get started?" Good god man! Welcome to the terrordome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I won't actually be buying everything at once, it's more representative of a near-term-plan meets wish-list that helps me gauge size and cost and determine priorities, while I continue learning about all-things modular.

My goals are, at this stage, pretty simple. Prior to digging into modular options I was set to buy (replace after a theft) several keyboards and traditional modules, some of which I only really wanted a function or two out of anyway.

The basic idea now is - pick up a Minitaur for bass lines, a Mother32 for leads and pads and such, and rather than also buying things like a MS20 Mini, a Karp, a Bass Station, a Pulse +, and so on, just get various modules/filters/euro toys instead.

At this stage my goals are less about "modular synthesis" in a traditional sense, and more about getting new gear vs old, taking up less space in my studio, not having several physical keyboards when I don't need them, and junk like that.

I used to own a vintage MiniMoog, a Juno 106, a DX7, and other things, and now that I've started over I already have Live and a few VST synths and toys, so this first jump into modular is more about adding primarily analog toys to my rig.

That said, I probably do need more things like VCAs to accompany what I've picked out so far, but honestly - I have more learning and thinking to do before I can even pick them out in a well reasoned manner. Picking filters/etc is easy...

Thanks again for the feedback. Keep it coming, please. Like, how many VCAs, for what - specifically? Most of the filters and such I've picked out so far are really just extra effects/etc to enhance the Minitaur, Mother, and Virtual gear I have now.
Sorry to hear about the theft as well man. I really need to get a separate insurance policy other than homeowners for just my music stuff. I keep putting it on the backburner. But I do have a security system which helps put my mind at ease.

The Mother32 is a great little synth and its ability to interact with your modular is nice, but it's a single oscillator and monophonic, so getting things like pads out of it is going to have to be all reverb. Truthfully, if I were you, I'd hold off on at least one of the external synths you're planning on until you get into modular. Minitaur and Mother are both fine synths for sure, but you may find that you'd be better off doing basslines and leads in your modular.

VCAs can be used for a lot of different purposes. They're not solely for amplitude control of signals. You can use them for attenuating signals, you can use them to modulate CV which will then affect other things. They can function as a logic And. Pseudo ring-modulation signals can occur using audio rate modulation of an audio signal into a VCA. You can also get crossfading between signals by using a CV signal and it's inverted signal to control two different VCA channels. Many VCAs these days have a mix out, so they can function as a signal mixer as well. There are all kinds of youtube videos, posts here and on muffs about different things you can do with VCAs. But the truth is, a lot of the more advanced uses won't make sense until you get into modular and play with it a while.
1
Share
Old 22nd January 2017
  #853
Lives for gear
 

Here's an example song/track scenario I have questions about as it pertains to these modules:

Song A, based/sequenced in Ableton, mixing primarily OTB through a Mackie 1402, feeding a scratch 2ch mix from the mixer mains back into Ableton to capture everything, with a combination of 6 analog outs from my Kontrol6 interface (say - a stereo pair of some glitchy Massive patch, a stereo pair of my core drum track built from several tracks within Live using acoustic drum samples and Ableton's 808 emulator and various effects, a mono Absynth patch providing some texture, and a mono out via FM8 making some weird noise), as well as live guitar from a mic'd amp that comes through another mixer channel, the Minitaur and a few filters/modules handling pre written bass lines via midi with the audio out of that signal chain coming through another mixer channel, the Mother32 and a few other modules playing some pre written arpeggiated pattern via midi and that chain's audio coming through another mixer channel, and so on...

Now, for example, how do I / what other modules would I need to:

Using the channel insert on the Minitaur's OTB mixer channel - feed that audio through an unused filter in the rack (any one, the Telemark for example), then take that module's audio out and feed it into a stomp box like an analog bucket brigade delay, then return the delay out back into the mixer channel, while also using midi to record some knob twisting I do on the Telemark as all that's happening...

While also, simultaneously... taking the audio out of the Mother32's module chain and feeding that directly into an analog stomp box like the Moog MF Drive then to a racked compressor before going back into its OTB mixer channel, while my friend is turning two random knobs on the Mother32 that I also want to capture the knob turning via midi...

While also alternating, in real time, between feeding the Scooper the stereo drum track from Ableton via the OTB mixer channels inserts or feeding the Scooper the main stereo mix of everything (by putting an audio crossfader before the Scooper), while also using midi to record all of the knob twisting that happens on the Scooper, and sending the Scooper audio outs into their own channels in the Mackie mixer...

And x-other similar things at any given time.

I want most modules in my eurorack to pull double or triple duty, depending on my mood or the track. Sometimes the Telemark is just one of X modules in a chain within the rack, other times it's basically a stomp box equivalent that could be used to affect anything from vocals to guitar to outboard synths, and things like that, all in addition to whatever regular modular synthesis things everyone normally does with these rigs.

I take it I need some flexible utility modules that essentially provide 1/4" I/Os, F/X sends and returns, an audio crossfader, MIDI control of CV functions, etc, so - given my convoluted example track here - I'd appreciate some suggestions regarding gear and process, especially as it pertains to modules, to facilitate these goals.
Old 22nd January 2017
  #854
Lives for gear
 

^ Point taken regarding the limitations of the Mother32, and the rest. I appreciate it.

Bear in mind, I also have Massive, FM8, Absynth, bunches of virtual effects and the ability to route audio into and back out of Ableton at will, and some outboard FX, too.

The Minitaur and Mother32 will just be two (of several) instruments/sources in a given track, and the whole of my modular rig is just one part of my whole system.
Old 22nd January 2017
  #855
Lives for gear
 

duplicate removed.
Old 22nd January 2017
  #856
SEM-X: Oberheim for eurorack
1
Share
Old 22nd January 2017
  #857
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Old Tom has gotta get his company out to someone else who can push it harder and put more gear out..
2
Share
Old 22nd January 2017
  #858
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I got the EMW Alias DVCO today. It aliases so much it's just... it's freaking beautiful. Weird comparison I know, but it reminds me of the oscillators in the Novation X-Station. I'm trying to talk myself out of buying a second one, but it's hard. I patched the DVCO into the Bitrazer's filter and it's just phenomenal sounding. I heart this oscillator so much.
Saw that thing on Muff's today. Crazy wild and cool ... I may have to pick one up for my overflow case. Been playing with knocking the bit and sample rates down on Braids to get a similar sound.

In regards to the overflow case, picked up a used HEK while I'M STILL WAITING FOR MY DAMN MDLR CASE! Was supposed to ship in 3 weeks, but now we're up to six weeks and two missed shipped dates. I know MDLR is a one man company, but at least give dates you can commit to. I may actually get my case before fiddlestickz gets his Mantis though.

Anyways, filled the HEK with a couple of things that have been sitting in boxes, a WMD SPO, a Mahattan DTM, and a since you guys keep talking about them, A Doepfer A-124 Wasp. To who ever recommended the DTM for distortion, not quite what I was looking for, but good in a different way, and the perfect mixer for the Oberkorn. Works just like the drive control on my Sub37. As for the Wasp, it's crazy good, especially for slow sweeps ... just wish it had CV for the resonance level.
Old 22nd January 2017
  #859
Lives for gear
 

I'm only ten pages into the 2016 thread so far, and there has already been a lot of great information. Just watched fiddlestickz's video demo of the JP8 filter on pg9 which was super useful and well done.

I heart the internet and forums like this. It used to take forever to glean this much knowledge from different people and perspectives, and even more time and money was wasted on bad or over hyped gear and approaches, but it's so much better now. Years of things I've missed, until now, but I'm catching up quickly. Cheers to you all...
5
Share
Old 22nd January 2017
  #860
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Check out this VCO from Vinicius Modular. Total "Stranger Things" soundtrack tones ...

1
Share
Old 22nd January 2017
  #861
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
SEM-X: Oberheim for eurorack
I enjoyed this and had to listen to the OB6 after Nick Batt mentions it and doesn't it sound lovely. Could you get anywhere close to this in Euro I wonder? Would an SEM filter get something near a similar sound. I realise it's all the other modulation as well but doesn't it sound wonderful.

I just answered my own question here and realise it's the modulation that makes it sound so wonderful not only the filter. So my question should be can you get this type of modulation in modular, and I'm assuming you can.

I just remembered this is why I got into modular to be able to make my own classic custom synths. Since having the JP8 btw I am really enjoying and currently my fave filter, also like the Erica Polivoks and the Polaris is great for clean but is taking back seat at the mo.

I like the freedom of modular to choose the modules I want and patch how I want but at the moment I feel I've become more of a technician than a composer, as patching takes up all my time. I hope in some months/eventually it will become easier to get the results I want rather than having to play around for hours. And this is the tradeoff between being able to customise and having a set architecture analogue synth.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPVhtVuYk8w

Last edited by justjools; 22nd January 2017 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: A
Old 22nd January 2017
  #862
Tom from Analogue Solutions:
2
Share
Old 22nd January 2017
  #863
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
can you get this type of modulation in modular, and I'm assuming you can.
to answer your question: yes, he released a SEM-X panel for Eurorack plus a matching patchpanel
(please excuse the pictures' weird perspective)

if you just want the filter, there are clones available (link link link link )
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-screen-shot-2017-01-22-12.34.21pm.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-screen-shot-2017-01-22-12.35.06pm.jpg  
Old 22nd January 2017
  #864
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar

Taking a stab at some noisy power thingie.

Mob Rules:
Roland Scooper
Roland Torcido
Bastl Knit Rider
Epoch Benjolin
Pittsburgh Verbtronic
Waldorf NW1
Doepfer Quad LFO
MFB Kraftzwerg
Blue Lantern BMX
Dave Smith DSM02
Bastl CV Trinity
Blue Lantern Mini Shimmery
Analogue Solutions Oberkonr
EMW Analog Drum Synth
Delptronics Thunder Clap
Manhattan Analog CP3
Old 22nd January 2017
  #865
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
SEM-X: Oberheim for eurorack
"Probably available in May" said Tom................

.......................May 2030
1
Share
Old 22nd January 2017
  #866
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Tom from Analogue Solutions:
I visited Tom's stall at SynthfestUK, as i walked away i saw a pile of business cards and i asked the wife to grab me a one, i'm glad i did as the card was actually a Ring Mod PCB



7
Share
Old 22nd January 2017
  #867
Lives for gear
 
e3p0's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I visited Tom's stall at SynthfestUK, as i walked away i saw a pile of business cards and i asked the wife to grab me a one, i'm glad i did as the card was actually a Ring modulator PCB



That is a good way to get the word out. Have you built up the ring mod?
1
Share
Old 22nd January 2017
  #868
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Here's an example song/track scenario I have questions about as it pertains to these modules:
For the stompboxes, you're best off taking your analog or external synth into a mixer and using aux sends. You can then take those stompboxes either back into the mixer for further processing or through an input module to raise the level if you want to get that stompbox result back into your modular.

You may also want something along the lines of an effect send module to send from modular directly to stomp boxes. I don't know of any in particular, but there are a few out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I enjoyed this and had to listen to the OB6 after Nick Batt mentions it and doesn't it sound lovely. Could you get anywhere close to this in Euro I wonder? Would an SEM filter get something near a similar sound. I realise it's all the other modulation as well but doesn't it sound wonderful.

I just answered my own question here and realise it's the modulation that makes it sound so wonderful not only the filter. So my question should be can you get this type of modulation in modular, and I'm assuming you can.
You can certainly get the modulation in modular. In fact, you'll likely have, even with a pretty small modulation section of your modular, more modulation options than the OB-6. But, the OB-6 is a six voice poly. To get that in a modular would require six voices, 12 envelopes and six filters. The OB also has some detuning per voice, ability to pan the different voices differently, etc.

There are two things that really stand out in making the OB-6 as great as it is. (other than the typical osc, filters, detuning of voices...) The continuous multiple state 12 db filter and the ability to modulate through the filter type and the crossmod capabilities that add additional modulation capabilities such as VCO2 crossmodding filter state, switching from BP filter to LP/HP/notch, or using the EG or LFO to do so.
1
Share
Old 22nd January 2017
  #869
Lives for gear
 
Coorec's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud drift View Post
Any news from Oberheim about the eurorack SEMs?
Same word as last year... and the year before. This was supposed to get me into Eurorack back then. I gave up waiting and went with the Two Voice.
Old 22nd January 2017
  #870
Lives for gear
 
Coorec's Avatar
Here we go, Gentlemen. Did the first step...
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-img_0493.jpg  
5
Share
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump