The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

Realistically, what would the estimated total cost be (my time aside) to build a dual Wasp filter (the bare bones kit plus all components, wire, shipping (US), all that)?

Anyone else interested a JP8 filter module, I probably won't need two and will likely be cannibalizing one of the BOSS PH2s to get my chip, which leaves one extra chip...
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Realistically, what would the estimated total cost be (my time aside) to build a dual Wasp filter (the bare bones kit plus all components, wire, shipping (US), all that)?
Are you new to DIY ?
Do you have all the equipment, Soldering iron, Multi-meter etc ?
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

^ I see. OK. I was more curious about the cost of the components for a dual Wasp. $20, $50, $100?

Also, given that I'll be sequencing via Live, what other bits are required to use and trigger via MIDI something like those 808 or 909 Kick modules like I'd trigger any other Synth or Drum Machine? I don't need the step sequencer and all of the other bits of something like a TR-8, I'm thinking a couple of individual drum modules will satisfy my Roland drum sound craving and in true analog vs Virtual. Are any of you using those or similar modules?
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

If you know what your doing a quick estimate off the top of my head about $175,
Possibly less I've not looked what type of chips are in it.
If your new to DIY then it will cost you more
Old 21st January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
How about an Eventide delay in your rack

is that panel made of cardboard or what's the go, looks incredibly rough and fake to me..?
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
is that panel made of cardboard or what's the go, looks incredibly rough and fake to me..?
I assume it's a prototype.
Old 21st January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
fake.. um, you never heard of prototype panels? its common practice in euroworld, plastics or pcbs used even paper, like if you have innards/circuits working you would like to show, but its not a finished version yet, so it would be a waste to do a one off finished panel, when it will most probably change later on.
Old 21st January 2017
Gear Guru

Well as no one mentioned it was a prototype I thought I'd mention the rough panel..

I wouldn't like to push that sec push button, looks like a small worm or something burrowing through there..lol
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are you new to DIY ?
Do you have all the equipment, Soldering iron, Multi-meter etc ?
I've not built something like this, but I'm plenty competent soldering and have a Fluke meter.

Thanks for the insights and guesses.
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Anyone else interested a JP8 filter module, I probably won't need two and will likely be cannibalizing one of the BOSS PH2s to get my chip, which leaves one extra chip...
I just bought the PCB/Panel from modular addict in the states. $85. (I had a discount coupon) If you order more than $150 from them, they ship free. Unfortunately, my mouser order contains a bunch of other stuff besides just the Wasp stuff. With pots, jacks, etc I think it will be just North of $100 from Mouser and pots/knobs from smallbear. That's without skimping on ICs and caps as they recommend. So about $200 total. If you're going to be doing other kits down the road, I'd recommend just stocking up on some of the common items - some ICs, resistors, caps that are commonly used, pots, jacks, knobs, power cables, etc
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

I always stock up on 9mm Alpha potentiometer's, Transistors, resistors, IC's and IC sockets/Headers from Tayda, they just can't be beaten on price.
I buy my capacitors from Bitsbox,RS components, Rush-on-line or Mouser.
Thonkiconn jacks and Davies knobs from Thonk.
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
Yes TipTop Z-rails.
I used a bandsaw today to rough out the cheeks in oak (not my first choice but I can get used to it). Got a bit of sanding to do then drill and countersink some holes.

Did you have any issue with modules/ rails lining up?

Thanks again for making the drawings available.
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e3p0 View Post
I used a bandsaw today to rough out the cheeks in oak (not my first choice but I can get used to it). Got a bit of sanding to do then drill and countersink some holes.

Did you have any issue with modules/ rails lining up?

Thanks again for making the drawings available.
Not at all. As I recall, I used the spacing right off the HEK.
Old 21st January 2017
Gear Maniac

New Studio Electronics stuff from NAMM:

Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I'm looking at this and wondering where are you going to fit your Intellijel tetrapad
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud drift View Post
New Studio Electronics stuff from NAMM:
8106 filter or 8106 Tonestar. ...that's a tough decision right there. Leaning toward the Tonestar, but the filter would be more cost effective. Decisions decisions...
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also, given that I'll be sequencing via Live, what other bits are required to use and trigger via MIDI something like those 808 or 909 Kick modules like I'd trigger any other Synth or Drum Machine? I don't need the step sequencer and all of the other bits of something like a TR-8, I'm thinking a couple of individual drum modules will satisfy my Roland drum sound craving and in true analog vs Virtual. Are any of you using those or similar modules?
A MIDI to Trigger module will get you there. Erica makes one. I have it, but it's always given me issues since I bought it, so I wouldn't recommend it. Yarns might be a better and more flexible option.

If you're just after single hits without using the modular to sequence, sampling into Ableton and sequencing your samples may be a better option. To make it more lively, just get three or four samples of the same hit and play them back round-robin style to get the little analog fluctuations programmed I.to the rhythm.

Why limit to 808/909, though? Get something like an EMW Analog Drum Synth or the Barton Analog Drum and you can get a huge variety of tones.
Old 21st January 2017
Quote:
I'm looking at this and wondering where are you going to fit your Intellijel tetrapad
In the other base case that goes under the other monster case of course. But seriously if I get to this point I'll probably get that 512 thingy instead of the touch plate which would free that space up for the intellijel which was pretty much my favorite out of the new line.
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
^ I see. OK. I was more curious about the cost of the components for a . $20, $50, $100?

Also, given that I'll be sequencing via Live, what other bits are required to use and trigger via MIDI something like those 808 or Kick modules like I'd trigger any other Synth or Drum Machine? I don't need the step sequencer and all of the other bits of something like a , I'm thinking a couple of individual drum modules will satisfy my Roland drum sound craving and in true analog vs Virtual. Are any of you using those or similar modules?
I'd look at Yarns for MIDI. Though a bit costly, it's a extremely useful module. It will also give you a few more basic oscillators to play with in the MIDI world if you're lacking.

As for drums, I'm not a big fan of drum modules in eurorack (yet?). I'll use the drum mode in Peaks from time to time, if one is free in my patch, but HP is just too valuable a commodity to dedicate to a specific drum module. And that's before you add a euro sequencer.

I'd look for something external that integrates well with euro; something that can be a master clock and let you disconnect from the computer when you want. I use an Analog Rytm, but a Drum Brute would work, or even a Volca, whatever sounds good to you. With Yarns, you could probably go with the TR-8 too with Yarn doing the MIDI clock conversion. All of those, save the Rytm, would be cheaper when you factor in module and HP costs. Don't dismiss being able to go fully OTB with your euro setup, it can be quite liberating.
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

Anybody curious about cost of DIY,
Heres how much all the component for a Ornament & crime cost.
PCB/Aluminium Panel from Facebook Group = £6
Teensy 3.2 from OSH Park = £15
LCD screen off Ebay (China) = £4.08
14 x Thoniconn Jacks from Thonk = £7.46
Rest of Components from Mouser = £40

Total £72.54

to that list you would still require a power cable, 2 knobs for the encoders and Headers
for mounting the Teensy.
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anybody curious about cost of DIY,
Heres how much all the component for a Ornament & crime cost.
PCB/Aluminium Panel from Facebook Group = £6
Teensy 3.2 from OSH Park = £15
LCD screen off Ebay (China) = £4.08
14 x Thoniconn Jacks from Thonk = £7.46
Rest of Components from Mouser = £40

Total £72.54

to that list you would still require a power cable, 2 knobs for the encoders and Headers
for mounting the Teensy.
Sounds close, the Mouser cart that they list on the O&C website runs about $70 USD, but you probably have better sources for some of the components.
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
8106 filter or 8106 Tonestar. ...that's a tough decision right there. Leaning toward the Tonestar, but the filter would be more cost effective. Decisions decisions...
Not sure about the 8106 filter (haven't watched video yet) but I just got a Tonestar 2600, and it sounds fantastic.. but the control isn't as deep as i'd like. You can't CV control the filter, etc. - it's got a lot more outs than ins.
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

So if I have a set of Aira fx modules, and no euro rack case, is the cheapest semi-elegant way to secure these things with a set of tip top rails and screw it all together? No euro power, just using Aira's own wall warts. I want to throw these on a pedal board, but maybe not in a Velcro way.
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks for the tips regarding Yarns and the rest.

Quote:
8106 Filter
Excellent news.
Old 21st January 2017
Roland filters in euro..

well i hope that 8106 sounds better than in that semi distorted brief demo.

anyways, while they have a nice sexy juno 106 theme on their panel, there are many, many others who have touched the Roland filter theme in euro. my point being, do yourself a favor and investigate a bit before jumping the gun.

fwiw i use a good number of golden age rolands and recently i have found a filter that blew me away, that sounds somewhere btwn the sound of my SH2 (cascaded BA662) and Sh101 (IR3109)- its Omsonic Really nice Filter, built with BA6110. VCA and discrete VCO+SUB sound good too. i am considering Doepfer A-111-2 for cem3340 sound and pair it with RNF vcf and vca, and two Fcuk X-Env i already have, for a quasi micro-sh101 in my travel case, so i can finally leave the sh101 at home. i do have the fabulous AM8109 with IR3109 but it sounds almost exactly like the silky JP8, which Roland connosieurs know is a little different sound from the SH serie. to others difference will be negligable.

anyways, you be the judge:

edit: alternatively, if you are looking for exact tone of Juno 106, there is no NOS-based replica utilizing the infamous 80017A. however this chip was made by smt-ing, miniaturising the IR3109, so the AM8109 should still be your best bet. its only downside is not skiff friendly.

Last edited by clusterchord; 21st January 2017 at 11:59 PM..
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Suzanne Ciani presentation about her Buchla
Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith and Suzanne Ciani’s Sunergy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5Xaw5r43n0

I enjoyed this too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95UvPlhjbE4
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Got the Random Source Res EQ and Dual Wasp PCBs and Panels today. Still have to pull the trigger on a large mouser order and something at smallbear for a couple more hard to get caps.

I also finally got around to recording a demo of the Thomas White Dual Resonant LPG. At one point I screwed with melody CV offset to get the feel for the LPG but had a hard time getting it back in tune. Other than that annoyance, this should be a pretty decent showing of what the thing is capable of.

I know it's an LPG, but the resonance on this thing can straight kill a man.
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

I'm getting close to making up my mind:

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_393163.jpg?1485042346

It's clear this isn't going to be inexpensive.
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Not sure about the 8106 filter (haven't watched video yet) but I just got a Tonestar 2600, and it sounds fantastic.. but the control isn't as deep as i'd like. You can't CV control the filter, etc. - it's got a lot more outs than ins.
That 'Mod In' control doesn't control the filter? I know it's unclear because of the labeling, but I thought from the grouping there that you could.
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm getting close to making up my mind:

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_393163.jpg?1485042346

It's clear this isn't going to be inexpensive.
Alright everyone, what do we say? "Not enough VCAs!". I also see no envelopes or modulation. Advice is get a good sized case, but only pick up a few modules at a time to learn what you need.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search