The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
the quad VCA when you look at the specs is really cool, it's an amplifier and mixer as well, so cool..
Since we're both Doepfer fans, check out the A-135-1. I bought it early on because of the mixer and VCA capabilities, and it still sees regular use. I love pairing it up with the A-144 or the WMD PDO set to a low speed. Lots of textural evolution to be had with this simple layout.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
This thread is a terrible influence.

Two days ago I barely cared about modular, and today I already see several modules I'd like to have, and I've barely started digging into everything that is available.
Leave now whilst you still have money in your pocket...............
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichenettes View Post
Not a dig at all. I don't like everything Makenoise does but I completely understand why they felt the need to do that, and it looks like they've made a beautiful product. The original phonogene was developed using 2011 or 2012 technology, uses a chip that is programmed mostly in assembly (= hard to get back to the code a few months later to tweak things). And it is still a popular product. As a manufacturer I can tell you how frustrating it is to keep in production something "flawed", that no longer represents what you think you can do best. And from a marketing point of view there are now enough sampling products like the ER-301 or the Reflex LiveLoop that people start comparing numbers like sample rate and buffer size. Rewrites and cleanups always feel good.
Until full details come out though, from the outset the Morphagene appears to be a very minor update to the Phonogene, hardly worth releasing a new module for. Plus when Phonogene came out, Make Noise described its little defects as intentional and part of its charm. To me, the Phonogene still stands out from the pack for its little nuances. The only thing keeping me from it in the past was the price, but now that we're seeing secondhand ones go for so cheap, I might end up with one soon.

I'd imagine it would make more sense to take all those "I wish I could haves" and apply them to a brand spanking new product. Right now we've got this market of people dumping their Phonogenes to get the Morphagene, but that's a lot fewer than how many people would be clamoring for Make Noise to take the same technology and create a completely new sampler with the features they wanted the Phonogene to have, leave out some of the features already in Phonogene, and add something new and kitschy like even number sample division for the splicing, polyphonic triggering, per-splice bit reduction, and stuff like that to really set it apart. People would go ape**** for that more than for a revamped version of an old product, I think. Like look at what's going on with Expert Sleepers with their constant revisions to Disting: A whole bunch of pissed off folks now either stuck with a product that ES is going to abandon (see the lack of updates to mkI and mkII), or they're going to have to sell for a loss to get the latest and greatest that will get the updates they were told they'd receive regularly.

So let's apply that to Clouds: With so many people already happy-ish with Clouds and so many people owning one, how many of those people do you think are going to trade up for a Morphaclouds? People who don't already own Clouds would find it attractive, but most people that want a Clouds already have one. Now put all those 'Wish-I-Could-Haves' and put it into a brand new Mutable Instruments Mandala module... Who knows what the function could be. It could a sampler, it could be a vocoder, it could even be a rackmount fart machine. People would buy it, man. People would buy it....

As for alternate firmware... as much as I do love the hidden drums in Peaks and the FM synth in Elements, I can see how that would be affecting your sales and your brand, so do what you need to.

...but can I please buy an Elements panel from you? I really really really f**king hate Grayscale panels and I promise that if (and that's a huge if) I ever sell the Elements, I'll put the Grayscale panel back on, make sure it's clear that it's a DIY job, and rub my weiner all over the Elements panel every chance I get.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I really like the look of the WMD 'Arpitect',
But then they mention 'Triad' expander

Intellijel 'Tetrapad' looks interesting,
But then they mention the expander

IM FUKKING SICK OF EXPANDERS, JUST PUT IN ALL IN ONE MODULE FFS AND SAVE US ALL ANOTHER 2 HP.
Huge fan of Bastl Grandpa here, but that is one thing that pisses me off is that you really can't dig in and do the fun stuff without SPA. Same with the Knit Rider. Why the hell I have to have the expander to have reset access and a clock out is beyond me.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
There are plenty of synth makers who despise NAMM for sure. I remember reading Chris Randall's commentary (I think this was last year) about how synths were like 2% of NAMM the rest being student band equipment and kazoos. It was a funny post. But it does sound like a total zoo, not at all a relaxed, fun synthy atmosphere like Superbooth must be.
The vibe I've always gotten is that with the way they limit access to NAMM, it was always supposed to be more for manufacturers and dealers to get together so that dealers know what to look out for and what to start ordering.

Superbooth on the other hand is open to the public, right?
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Two days ago I barely cared about modular, and today I already see several modules I'd like to have, and I've barely started digging into everything that is available.
Welcome to the awful awful party and say goodbye to your wallet!
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Regarding module revisions, I think the one that got it right is Harvestman. Stillson Hammer mkII and the original have barely anything in common with each other. Same with Piston Honda. Those are both instances where I could see it being justifiable to own both the original and the revision.
Old 20th January 2017
Suzanne Ciani presentation about her Buchla
Old 20th January 2017
Quote:

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
The vibe I've always gotten is that with the way they limit access to NAMM, it was always supposed to be more for manufacturers and dealers to get together so that dealers know what to look out for and what to start ordering.

Superbooth on the other hand is open to the public, right?
I been to neither...
I was under the impression NAMM was Dealers, Manufacturers and Visitors.

Superbooth, Synths only, for Dealers, Manufacturers and Visitors..
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

I'm going to build the Ornaments & Crime next.
I have a spare Teensy, so thats the brain sorted (they usually cost about £18)
The PCB/Panel were £3 each.
Just had a look around eBay and managed to get a LED Screen from China for £4.08
I think its going to cost me about £15 to build
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Is it correct that those JP8 Filter module DIY kits (or completed ones) are unavailable unless you can find a used one, or unless you source the chip yourself - like from one of those BOSS Phaser pedals? But if I source the chip, is the DIY kit definitely available?

And is it also true that there really isn't a good MS20 Filter copy in module form? I know there was that Frostwave pedal, but I hear it's hard to find. Is there a solid alternative, DIY or otherwise?
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is it correct that those JP8 Filter module DIY kits (or completed ones) are unavailable unless you can find a used one, or unless you source the chip yourself - like from one of those BOSS Phaser pedals? But if I source the chip, is the DIY kit definitely available?
Are you talking about the AMSynths version ?

You can buy the PCB/Panel and a wee bag to rare parts from AMSynths shop.
You have to source the rest of the parts yourself.
If it says out of stock try contacting Rob, sometimes he has them anyway.

and YES you have to Source the Roland IR3109 filter chip yourself.

Be aware if you go the Boss Phaser route, the Chips are not in sockets (Roland cutting corners) the legs are soldered to the board so it can get very messy trying to remove them.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know I've mentioned before on this thread "Jack of all trades master of non"
but i still can't help thinking that.

Yes i know theres people on here who love them, its just my personal view.

That Pico module with all the effects on it also leaves me feeling the same.
I wouldn't mind a second Disting if I have the room. Especially interested in the new tuner function. I have an old Korg tuner that I carry around for the time being. Not sure if the Mk4 is still 4hp though, looked more like 6hp.

As for the SD extender for the MK3. I have one of these ...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The cable is long enough that when have the Disting about half-way inside a 104hp rack, I can run it behind everything and mount the head, via double sided tape, to the outside of the case for easy access.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
And is it also true that there really isn't a good MS20 Filter copy in module form? I know there was that Frostwave pedal, but I hear it's hard to find. Is there a solid alternative, DIY or otherwise?
Funny thing is you'll try so hard being anal about getting a MS20 filter clone, then once you build up 20-30 modules you won't give a dam about filters.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are you talking about the AMSynths version ?

You can buy the PCB/Panel and a wee bag to rare parts from AMSynths shop.
You have to source the rest of the parts yourself.
If it says out of stock try contacting Rob, sometimes he has them anyway.

and YES you have to Source the Roland IR3109 filter chip yourself.

Be aware if you go the Boss Phaser route, the Chips are not in sockets (Roland cutting corners) the legs are soldered to the board so it can get very messy trying to remove them.
Yes, that one. OK, thanks. Any other source suggestions for the chip?
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, that one. OK, thanks. Any other source suggestions for the chip?
To be honest not really, be careful on Ebay there is some fakes.
Old 20th January 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
I'm going to build the Ornaments & Crime next.
I have a spare Teensy, so thats the brain sorted (they usually cost about £18)
The PCB/Panel were £3 each.
Just had a look around eBay and managed to get a LED Screen from China for £4.08
I think its going to cost me about £15 to build
Good call. I landed one last week and it's very good indeed. It's a bit "menu-divey" but not as bad as a shapeshifter or rainmaker. The triggered envelopes and euclidean stuff is really fun.
Old 20th January 2017
Quote:
Funny thing is you'll try so hard being anal about getting a MS20 filter clone, then once you build up 20-30 modules you won't give a dam about filters.
I hear a lot of vets say this but I still love my filters. I have 4 in my Monster case and might be getting a 5th...maybe...ok probably...
Old 20th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Here's the latest from Intellijel. Lots of stuff in here, some very interesting. I'm more than happy with my Rings, which will run circles around the Plonk. But I do like the preset capability of the Plong - if you're looking for a particular sound. Some of the other stuff is pretty out there, but once the head's wrapped around it. Tetrapad or whatever, and the Shifty.

I thought the Plonk was rad until he tried to dial in a sound and started saying "oops" a million times because he kept accidentally touching things...my fingers are huge and shaky so this one is a nope.
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I thought the Plonk was rad until he tried to dial in a sound and started saying "oops" a million times because he kept accidentally touching things...my fingers are huge and shaky so this one is a nope.
I was thinking the same thing. Which is a shame, because AAS plugs are ace. Still kinda want one though. Think I'll wait for a proper demo.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

What options are there for analog alternatives to the Scooper module (particularly the glitchy aspects more than simple Looper functions)? I'm not opposed to digital gear, the core of my setup is Live with Massive, FM8, and Absynth with a 6-out audio interface, but my interest lately is in analog devices.

Quote:
Maybe so. This is the beginning of the journey for me and I still want a handful of dope and classic filters, though. Regardless, thanks for the responses.
Old 20th January 2017
Quote:
This is the beginning of the journey for me and I still want a handful of dope and classic filters, though. Regardless, thanks for the responses.
Filters I like and own:

Mother 32- because moog.
Humpback- very Oberheim-ey, warm and juicy.
Polaris- versatile, phaser/distortion.
Ripples- general purpose badass sounding filter, great resonance, very clear.
Mestasonix R-54- destroys any universe to FUBAR status.
Apeture- kinda like an MS20 with roid rage. This is the one I don't have yet but am pretty much getting and it makes 6 filters in one case. Like I said, I love my filters.

Everyone has a different idea about how this is all supposed to pan out in the end for them. Good luck on your journey.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
What options are there for analog alternatives to the Scooper module (particularly the glitchy aspects more than simple Looper functions)? I'm not opposed to digital gear, the core of my setup is Live with Massive, FM8, and Absynth with a 6-out audio interface, but my interest lately is in analog devices.
There are some things that really can't be done in analog, at least not properly.. slicing, dicing, granular, etc.. those are digital functions.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe so. This is the beginning of the journey for me and I still want a handful of dope and classic filters, though. Regardless, thanks for the responses.
I have a Wiard Borg 1 Filter that will get you the MS-20 vibe,
There's also the Borg 2 which I've not used but is supposed to be more aggressive.

Borg 1 has white knobs
Borg 2 has Black Knobs

The first filter I ever bought and still one of my favorites.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Try to scare up an Analogue Solutions SY02. Usually runs about $130 USD and it gets you pretty close to the MS20 sound.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Triple Sloth built , kinda surprised it worked first.
I actually built it Wednesday but was 3 resistors short and they turned up this morning.
Due to the nature of a sloth i had to wait a while until all 3 LEDs lit to grab the picture
He hasn't got a rack at the moment

Nice job man! You didn't use dual-light LEDs, so your LEDs are essentially on/off? In the NCB thread, some guy recommended some LEDs that go from green to red when it goes negative to positive.

Get that bad boy in your rack and drone man!

Quote:

You're screwed dude.

Self-control is a good thing. Practicing it sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Since we're both Doepfer fans, check out the A-135-1. I bought it early on because of the mixer and VCA capabilities, and it still sees regular use. I love pairing it up with the A-144 or the WMD PDO set to a low speed. Lots of textural evolution to be had with this simple layout.
The A-135-1 is a great little mixer/VCA, but damn it takes up way more HP than it needs to. I'm building another Zlob 6 channel VCA that has mix out in hopes of replacing the A-135-1 and take back 10hp.

Quote:
Korgasmatron? I've not used it. I have it in my Softube Modular soft synth. Seems OK.

Another option is just...buying an MS-20 mini.

Quote:
I have a Wiard Borg 1 Filter that will get you the MS-20 vibe,
There's also the Borg 2 which I've not used but is supposed to be more aggressive.

Borg 1 has white knobs
Borg 2 has Black Knobs

The first filter I ever bought and still one of my favorites.
The Borgs are really cool filters that can also do LPG-type stuff. I'm absolutely loving the grown on the Thomas White Resonant LPG. If you want LPG's, I"d recommend looking at that one as well as the Borg. I went back and forth a few times between the Borg and Thomas White. Pretty happy with my decision though.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Yes, I am screwed...

My thinking so far is to build a kit based around a Mother32, and start with some additional Filters for the Moog or Ext Sources like the DIY JP8, the Telemark, an MS20 equivalent, and maybe some others like the Scooper. Beyond that, I don't yet know, though for the time being all sequencing and such will be handled by Live / my PC, and the audio needs to seamlessly interface with various stomp boxes.

Ultimately I need this kit to primarily do three simultaneous things for me: fat ass bass lines, plus leads/pads/patterns, and allow me to route other audio sources through one or more module for extra jizz in one form or another.

What else would you guys suggest next? I'm thinking a second Synth voice, maybe the new Juno 106 version of the Tone Star or maybe a Minitaur to wrap up my Moog jones for the time being (or is that too redundant, a Minitaur and a Mother32?).

What sort of modules, particularly utility modules, will help accomplish these goals?
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Nice job man! You didn't use dual-light LEDs, so your LEDs are essentially on/off? In the NCB thread, some guy recommended some LEDs that go from green to red when it goes negative to positive.

Get that bad boy in your rack and drone man!
I did use Dual LED's which do go from negative to positive, theres 3 states Red/Green and Off which i assume is when Sloth is having a sleep . Ive not used it yet but the fact all the LEDs were working i assume the module is ok.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Scooper owner here. Only thing I know of that gets close is a Kaoss Pad 3. There's lots of glitchable modules in Euro, but they're nearly all digital. You can fake a bit crush by sending a square wave VCO into a VCA, and you can futz with analog delays to get screwy effects, but that's about all you can do in the analog realm.

Quote:
4075's a great one. Also, check out a dude on Muff Wiggler named Uoki-Toki. He makes Polivoks filters from NOS parts and sells them cheap as hell. Shipping from Russia takes forever, but it's worth the wait. And of course, the Wasp filter from Doepfer is always a winner. Bastl Cinnamon does a pretty good Roland SH-ish quality.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search