The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Here's the latest from Intellijel. Lots of stuff in here, some very interesting. I'm more than happy with my Rings, which will run circles around the Plonk. But I do like the preset capability of the Plong - if you're looking for a particular sound. Some of the other stuff is pretty out there, but once the head's wrapped around it. Tetrapad or whatever, and the Shifty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
I come from the software world, but I can assure you that this is not the case. Nowadays open source is very popular with companies that clearly are aiming for profit, allowing others to use their work to make a profit off their work, too. We are talking of companies like Google and Netflix here. The driving force for them is the speed of technology moving on - it's going so fast these days, even the big players struggle to cope up with what they feel that they need to do, so they use open source as a possibility to join forces. Not moving on fast enough feels more risky to them these days than protecting some of their best ideas regarding how to do things. This also allows for better results, as more people peer review the stuff and come up with improvements and new ideas.
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my wording, but I meant re-packaging and selling the open source. Most licenses I've ever seen have included stipulations if someone uses as part of a for-profit, that mention of the open source software must be made in the licensing and that it can't be licensed separately, blah blah blah.

Anyways, Olivier has now made his opinion heard and he doesn't seem to care. I'm still in the "it's not cool" camp.
Old 20th January 2017
well, tho i didn't expect to at all, i kinda liked the sound of the Plonk thru the Springray in this brief demo. nice organic transients and extended bandwidth up there in high range. would love to hear of the range it can cover and what happens with cv control..

definitely interested in the new Makenoise. think its fidelity sounds noticeably upgraded compared to Phonogene. just have to find out about the memory capacity and what is the maximum lenght of individual sample to be mangled. way to short memory was what always put me off the old version.

Last edited by clusterchord; 20th January 2017 at 04:44 AM..
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Guru

terrible demo of plonk but it does look really easy and a lotta fun..

the quad VCA when you look at the specs is really cool, it's an amplifier and mixer as well, so cool..
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichenettes View Post
I've learnt the lesson about "for free" features and hidden complexity. No easter eggs in any of the new products scheduled for end of 2017, this year no more wasting time doing firmware upgrades to give older products the capabilities of recent releases or putting in recent releases a preview of future ones...

No to screens, encoders. Yes to negative lines of code.

Now considering doing a Morphoclouds.

End of transmission.
Cool, I love your products/modules, but never use the extra free stuff though, I always like the original ideas as they are insanely cool as is, simple and proper.

Any plans for a speech/vocoder style module ever..?
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Some new/revised stuff from Expert Sleepers:

A screen on the Disting will be a huge improvement, and I'm glad to hear the Mk4 will more or less be congruent with the MK3. Could be plenty useful to use the "Favorites" option on the MK3 for go-to programs and to get a MK4 for easy experimentation with the rest of the algorithms.

Also, there's already so much cool stuff coming out in euro this show that it's making my head explode. I'm on mobile and lazy right now or I'd post more vids, but just checking what is starting to roll in now that the first day of NAMM is over is really exciting. I think 2017 is definitely going to be the year of modular.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!! Nice dig on MN there. Glad I'm the only one wondering why they're rereleasing a module with tiny improvements.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

....an mk4 Disting!? Seriously!? I can't be the only one that thinks this rapidfire release schedule for revisions is ridiculous. Disting has only been around a couple years. That's kind of off-putting.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
....an mk4 Disting!? Seriously!? I can't be the only one that thinks this rapidfire release schedule for revisions is ridiculous. Disting has only been around a couple years. That's kind of off-putting.
I'm almost positive Os said only a few months ago on Muffs that he had no plans to do another hardware revision...but really, it does need some kind of screen to tell you WTF is going on. The Disting is probably the least used module in my rack, despite being one of the most useful, simply because I have to dive into the manual/cheat sheets every time. Hopefully this will be the last hardware revision for some time.
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Addict

I'm interested in a few of the new Intellijels like the Shifty but more so in the 1U, because my 1U needs some useful stuff in it.
I can't wait to see a really good demo vid of the plonk though. There was of course not much to hear of it in this Sonicstate vid, nor would I expect there to be given the time allowed and venue etc.

I'm confused by Dan saying the Digitank using an accutronics tank. So it's a digital verb but uses a spring tank, wha?
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
terrible demo of plonk but it does look really easy and a lotta fun..

the quad VCA when you look at the specs is really cool, it's an amplifier and mixer as well, so cool..
Multiple VCAs that also function as mixers are dime a dozen.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

While the screen on the Disting mk4 is nice to tell you what algorithm you're in, the inputs, outputs and knob functionality changes per algorithm so you'd likely still need a cheat sheet. And the micro USB input on the front is a good change, but I picked up a little micro USB expander cable for dirt cheap so I don't have to pull the module to update samples, favorites, playlists etc.
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
While the screen on the Disting mk4 is nice to tell you what algorithm you're in, the inputs, outputs and knob functionality changes per algorithm so you'd likely still need a cheat sheet. And the micro USB input on the front is a good change, but I picked up a little micro USB expander cable for dirt cheap so I don't have to pull the module to update samples, favorites, playlists etc.
This was my thinking as well on the screen. Still need to remember what the knobs/jacks are doing. I find knowing which algorithm it's set to the easiest part anyway.
I'm about to get one of those USB extender things for my MK3. Does yours stick out past the module's edge, so that you have to have a shallow module next to it to allow space for the extender?
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansrobotho View Post
This was my thinking as well on the screen. Still need to remember what the knobs/jacks are doing. I find knowing which algorithm it's set to the easiest part anyway.
I'm about to get one of those USB extender things for my MK3. Does yours stick out past the module's edge, so that you have to have a shallow module next to it to allow space for the extender?
Yeah, mine sticks out. I have it next to an expander module so not a big deal. Not sure about all those extender cables, but mine is crazy thin. Should be between two modules easily, provided you can find a shallow module to put it next to.
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!! Nice dig on MN there. Glad I'm the only one wondering why they're rereleasing a module with tiny improvements.
Not a dig at all. I don't like everything Makenoise does but I completely understand why they felt the need to do that, and it looks like they've made a beautiful product. The original phonogene was developed using 2011 or 2012 technology, uses a chip that is programmed mostly in assembly (= hard to get back to the code a few months later to tweak things). And it is still a popular product. As a manufacturer I can tell you how frustrating it is to keep in production something "flawed", that no longer represents what you think you can do best. And from a marketing point of view there are now enough sampling products like the ER-301 or the Reflex LiveLoop that people start comparing numbers like sample rate and buffer size. Rewrites and cleanups always feel good.
Old 20th January 2017
Quote:
Yes, I've had that problem in the past. You buy a version one, next thing you know they are up to version four.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

End of transmission.
Well if your going to start a rumour, then start it on the best thread on the web
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

I really like the look of the WMD 'Arpitect',
But then they mention 'Triad' expander

Intellijel 'Tetrapad' looks interesting,
But then they mention the expander

IM FUKKING SICK OF EXPANDERS, JUST PUT IN ALL IN ONE MODULE FFS AND SAVE US ALL ANOTHER 2 HP.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know I've mentioned before on this thread "Jack of all trades master of non"
but i still can't help thinking that.

Yes i know theres people on here who love them, its just my personal view.

That Pico module with all the effects on it also leaves me feeling the same.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Im waiting for a NAMM video of the Audio damage EOS
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

The only thing I'm really eager to hear more of is that Malekko drum machine. So far this NAMM is taking a break on my wallet. I don't think the products released suck or anything like that, just not my cup of tea for the most part.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
The only thing I'm really eager to hear more of is that Malekko drum machine. So far this NAMM is taking a break on my wallet. I don't think the products released suck or anything like that, just not my cup of tea for the most part.
Yes i'm feeling similar, one or two things have pricked my ears but thats it.
So no GAS emotion kicking me in the chest this year.

Interesting comment i seen on Facebook, Ken McBeth was showing pictures of his new prototype on Facebook and Mark Doty commented "Are you taking this to NAMM Ken ?", Ken replied "NAMM!!!!! thats not for me anymore, Superbooth is the place for us synth folk" (or words to that effect)

Makes you wonder how many other synth builders think the same and save the best for Superbooth ?
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Any news from Oberheim about the eurorack SEMs?
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud drift View Post
Any news from Oberheim about the eurorack SEMs?
Dust in the wind
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

How about an Eventide delay in your rack

Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansrobotho View Post

I'm confused by Dan saying the Digitank using an accutronics tank. So it's a digital verb but uses a spring tank, wha?
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I was thinking the same thing.
I assumed he was talking about the Accutronics Brick that is used on 'Music thing spring'.
For the 1U Delay module, theres 3 different bricks available Small/Medium/large Delay.

Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Yes i'm feeling similar, one or two things have pricked my ears but thats it.
So no GAS emotion kicking me in the chest this year.

Interesting comment i seen on Facebook, Ken McBeth was showing pictures of his new prototype on Facebook and Mark Doty commented "Are you taking this to NAMM Ken ?", Ken replied "NAMM!!!!! thats not for me anymore, Superbooth is the place for us synth folk" (or words to that effect)

Makes you wonder how many other synth builders think the same and save the best for Superbooth ?
There are plenty of synth makers who despise NAMM for sure. I remember reading Chris Randall's commentary (I think this was last year) about how synths were like 2% of NAMM the rest being student band equipment and kazoos. It was a funny post. But it does sound like a total zoo, not at all a relaxed, fun synthy atmosphere like Superbooth must be.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
How about an Eventide delay in your rack

It shows the price on the panel. Handy.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Triple Sloth built , kinda surprised it worked first.
I actually built it Wednesday but was 3 resistors short and they turned up this morning.
Due to the nature of a sloth i had to wait a while until all 3 LEDs lit to grab the picture
He hasn't got a rack at the moment

Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

This thread is a terrible influence.

Two days ago I barely cared about modular, and today I already see several modules I'd like to have, and I've barely started digging into everything that is available.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search