The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Any word on if it's VCO or DCO? SE's never done DCO, but since he's doing a Juno clone, I guess there's a first for everything.
It's VCO, same as Tonestar 2600, but with a Juno-106 inspired filter complete with HPF. It's called the Tonestar 8106.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
It's actually kind of amazing to me that as much reverence as the 101 gets that there aren't really any 101 clones/clone modules out there.
I guess the filter is a big part of the sh-101 sound and as IR3109 chips are not produced anymore it's going to be tricky making an accurate clone.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Waiting on Scott's answers be liek...

Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

This NAMM lark is getting exciting,
Does it start tomorrow (Friday) ?
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Elektron have just announced a Digital drum machine/sampler
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
This NAMM lark is getting exciting,
Does it start tomorrow (Friday) ?
Today, West Coast time in the US. Should be getting going now or soon...
Old 19th January 2017
Here for the gear
MakeNoise announce the Morphagene. Looks sweet. Modern version of the Phonegene by the looks of it

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPdHLZ4j4Yx/
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

WHAT ABOUT THE CHORUS, MAN!?!?!?!?!? DON'T LEAVE US HANGING!!!!

Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Elektron have just announced a Digital drum machine/sampler
sampler/sequencer, not really that interesting to me thank goodness. I'd much rather see what the new MPCs actually do other than make Rihanna songs. (or however you spell her name)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkcorpsevomit View Post
MakeNoise announce the Morphagene. Looks sweet. Modern version of the Phonegene by the looks of it

Boatload of news coming out. 4ms Delay looks cool!

2hp stuff

wmd

qu-bit

Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkcorpsevomit View Post

I was just going to post this.

Mostly because if you wanted a Phonogene there are like 1,000 of them going up on MW BST right now heh. Never understood that, same thing happened when they announced the new Wogglebug (and in that case it was almost the same feature set even). I guess they're trying to get out in front of the deluge of second hand transactions but it seems weird to ditch a beloved module just because an upgrade will be available in a few weeks/months. But I've never sold on a module (never owned a module I did not like) so I'm probably just a little touched.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak View Post
It's VCO, same as Tonestar 2600, but with a Juno-106 inspired filter complete with HPF. It's called the Tonestar 8106.

Still keeping my fingers loudly crossed for the chorus, but it won't be a deal-breaker.

This actually answers a couple of my prayers. As I've been previously quite vocal about, I have a raging hardon for the AX60. The Juno 106 gets REAL close (which is weird considering that one's CEM-based and the other is proprietary) but with a couple minor flaws: It's DCO instead of VCO, and it doesn't have the oscillator to filter FM that makes the AX60 pure magic. By making a VCO-based iteration of the Juno that's modular, that ticks both of those boxes and means that I don't have to keep searching in vain for an A-111-5 to magically appear.

Additionally, I've been eyeballing a Tonestar, but one thing holds me back: I already have the 4075 filter, so that's a whole lot of overlap. A Tonestar with a different filter, especially one that I heart as much as the AX60/Juno's alleviates that concern.

Once this thing is available for order, I will insta-buy this. SE has made some great modules and has wonderful customer service (as shown by the 4075 that was repaired for free in spite of me being the one that fried it.)

So Greg and Marc...

Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Not really modular but Malekko just posted a line of desktops

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPdIczKhODm/
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
I was just going to post this.

Mostly because if you wanted a Phonogene there are like 1,000 of them going up on MW BST right now heh. Never understood that, same thing happened when they announced the new Wogglebug (and in that case it was almost the same feature set even). I guess they're trying to get out in front of the deluge of second hand transactions but it seems weird to ditch a beloved module just because an upgrade will be available in a few weeks/months. But I've never sold on a module (never owned a module I did not like) so I'm probably just a little touched.
Holy hell! Those guys overreact much? There's one sitting there for $360 now! If I had the scratch, I'd snag that sucker up in heartbeat. This is my favorite thing about Eurorack becoming so popular: So many people have to have the flavor of the minute that most of this stuff goes for cheap if you wait a minute or two. God bless the silly little hipsters!
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Not really modular but Malekko just posted a line of desktops

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPdIczKhODm/
Wow, speaking of 101 influenced synthesizers...

I have to agree with Derp, that Juno Tonestar is pretty exciting. Not sure if my design really has room for it but if it does I will find it!
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Hard to tell for sure from this pic, but looks like the main differences are that it's stereo, has attenuators for the CV inputs, and has an SD card slot.

...if Phonogenes stay this low for a whole minute, I'm very seriously thinking about getting one. These are such minor differences.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Surely to give the module a new name there must be more than just minor differences ?
Looking forward to hearing more.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Here you go boys and girls!

Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

The new WMD modules look pretty sick as well.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Maniac

What do you guys think of the Octasource?

I'm actually pretty excited for this one!
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarensmps View Post

First ever Erica module that I've thought "I want that"
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Those Malekko desktop synths and Drum-machines look amazing. Can't wait to learn more.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
Those Malekko desktop synths and Drum-machines look amazing. Can't wait to learn more.
Same. I thought I was gonna get through this year's NAMM without much GAS, but these things have my attention, especially the drum machine one.

Also that new Intellijel module might be a replacement for my elements that I've never quite gotten along with. Looking forward to some demos of that one.

Edit:

Edit edit: Wow! $599 for the drums/mono $649 for the harvestman 4 voice one. Love the design of these, cant wait to hear. The varigate functionality on each of the drum instruments is awesome. Was thinking he was going to say closer to $1k.

Last edited by Abraxis; 19th January 2017 at 11:47 PM..
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxis View Post
Same. I thought I was gonna get through this year's NAMM without much GAS, but these things have my attention, especially the drum machine one.

Also that new Intellijel module might be a replacement for my elements that I've never quite gotten along with. Looking forward to some demos of that one.

Edit:

Edit edit: Wow! $599 for the drums/mon $649 for the 4 harvestman 4 voice one. Love the design of these, cant wait to hear. The varigate functionality on each of the drum instruments is awesome. Was thinking he was going to say closer to $1k.
Hmmmmm, that drum machine sounded interesting, but at that price, it's VERY interesting!
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarensmps View Post

I can't really follow what's going on here but holy hell does it sound sick.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
To me, the issue is [...] the fact that a company is using the designs for profit (even if it is small) is against what I believe to be the spirit of open source.
I come from the software world, but I can assure you that this is not the case. Nowadays open source is very popular with companies that clearly are aiming for profit, allowing others to use their work to make a profit off their work, too. We are talking of companies like Google and Netflix here. The driving force for them is the speed of technology moving on - it's going so fast these days, even the big players struggle to cope up with what they feel that they need to do, so they use open source as a possibility to join forces. Not moving on fast enough feels more risky to them these days than protecting some of their best ideas regarding how to do things. This also allows for better results, as more people peer review the stuff and come up with improvements and new ideas.

Of course this is not the same as building Eurorack modules. But making a profit using open source stuff definitely is not against the spirit of open source, at least not in general.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I can't really follow what's going on here but holy hell does it sound sick.
I was looking at it as a modulation source.

Im suprised you can't VC the Rate.
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Because of how long Rings has been available I can't imagine Plonk being inferior, so is this going to be a better module with smaller HP, let's hope they get the price right.
Plonk has no audio input, really weird decision, it'll never do all the cool things you can do with Rings and a contact mic, or any other excitation synthesis method. It's like getting a VCF with no input, that can only filter a VCO that's built into it. The higher realism from the different models comes at a cost: they cannot be continuously morphed into one another, so you have to pick from a list - Braids-style, and I'm no longer into that. I'm not worrying about Rings/Elements at all.

Ears was a proper collaboration with Music Thing/Thonk, I loved their product but I wanted to redesign it "properly", from scratch. At the risk of repeating myself, hooking this thing to Rings was a revelation.

Regarding the Magpie panels and the people making money out of the DIY stuff: I don't give a damn, just don't expect any service/assistance from me (panels, knobs, repairs, firmware files). Credit me*personally, don't mention Mutable Instruments anywhere so that people don't get the wrong idea, re-share your work, if possible be intelligent and have good taste. I am still puzzled why people are building the modules as DIY (while simultaneously not having an interest in actually learning about how they are designed).

A good example of intelligent reuse of my stuff is the O+C. I won't make an official Mutable Instruments version of it because the loss (measured in the highest currency, attachment) totally outweighs the profit (measured in personal-itch-scratching). But it's a well done thing, I would totally have done something like that in 2014.

With the O+C and the new 4ms tap delay, authors of alternative firmware have realized it's way cooler to actually design a module instead of squeezing features in a UI and hardware designed for something else. Cue to Alan Kay quote.

I've learnt the lesson about "for free" features and hidden complexity. No easter eggs in any of the new products scheduled for end of 2017, this year no more wasting time doing firmware upgrades to give older products the capabilities of recent releases or putting in recent releases a preview of future ones...

No to screens, encoders. Yes to negative lines of code.

Now considering doing a Morphoclouds.

End of transmission.
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak View Post
Awesome, I love SE gear..love it I tellz ya..!!
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

I've just discovered a super cheap simple mult/attenuation option: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7116

Only two outputs of course, but it's really handy to be able to attenuate a signal like this. I ordered some other headphone splitters from Monoprice as well that don't have the volume/attenuation option which I haven't tried yet, but I assume those will work just as well.
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I was looking at it as a modulation source.

Im suprised you can't VC the Rate.
Don't want to assume it as fact, but I'm pretty sure you'll be able to do it in a tricky way using the Sync input. Should be something worth experimenting with at least.

Edit, nevermind, you can do it with the Phase CV: ● Phase shift, wave select and FM CV
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search