The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 18th January 2017
  #661
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Verse View Post
I see Cwejman and MacBeth stuff as unique but pricey. Cwejman is ultra-modern analog while MacBeth is decidedly vintage.

Cwejman usually produces 3-4 modules 1-2 times a year. Bigcitymusic sells them state side (think they still have VC02 in stock and it's not cheap). I think he gets good feedback on what he builds, so only certain modules get made now like filters, oscillators, vcas, envelopes, resonators, compressors, etc. Hence most of the smaller/cheaper stuff in his lineup doesn't get made anymore.

MacBeth, you have to wait for announcements. If you knew the micromac was coming, it was easy to buy (if you wanted to pay, of course).
Emphasis mine: this is the root of my complaint (no offense T-verse). What does "decidedly vintage" even mean? Does an early 70s Minimoog share something in common with a vintage Easel that I've simply missed in my 20 year career in audio? Because they're both decidedly vintage and have very little in common categorically (sonically even less).

People just can't resist throwing out analogies when it comes to Cwejman and Macbeth; but they tend to convey little meaning and much enthusiasm.
2
Share
Old 18th January 2017
  #662
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
I haven't seen this posted here yet, so thought I'd share since it's Eurorack related (I also posted it on the NAMM 2017 thread) 4MS showing their Stereo Triggered Sampler...

Yeah, but is it real this time? They've been showing off their prototypes for that module for years now. I'm also leery of the price to feature ratio on this. The Bastl Grandpa already has a lot of these features and a whole lot more for only $220. Can 4ms compete?
Old 18th January 2017
  #663
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
I think special features (which Cwejman modules do tend to be ULTRA-FEATURED) are the real and only reason to prefer a specific Cwejman module, sure.
Agreed.
I owned a few Cwejman modules about five years ago and didn't find any special magic in them. There are the odd special modules by many makers. It just depends what floats your boat. A $150 module can have special magic.
I couldn't justify the $$ I had tied up in them, so off they went.
And I've had Serge, Buchla, Polyfusion and Arp.
Old 18th January 2017
  #664
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty.west View Post
5U is the route I originally wanted to go, but after researching for months I settled on Euro due to the vast array of modules available- mainly due to the plethora of incredible effects/processors, stuff 5U can only dream of. The Macbeth stuff might be east cost in flavour, sure, but that's just a fraction of what interests me in the format- and I've got a Model D that satisfies the east coast cravings. Anyway, a few pages back I mentioned that I'm also interested in getting a Furthrrrr Generator, a west coast style vco, so def. not just into the east coast thing- plus there's a bunch of other west coast modules I'm planning on getting. I'm just taking my time and exploring all the options, nothing wrong with that. Also I'm now thinking of starting w/ an east coast vco/vcf because I'm more familiar with it and would ease into west coast stuff soon after. Who knows what I'll end up with... I won't post until I've got something together.
Nononononono... I probably came off as abrasive in that post and for that I apologize. Please, don't stop asking questions! It's completely healthy and understandable to ask. I was just curious of your motives because of the interest in Cwejman and Macbeth. Personal experience here, but in my mind as a 5U and an Euro owner, the 5u is the embodiment of the east coast workflow while Euro can be either, but leans heavily toward west coast and weirder variations of east coast. (Anybody else kinda sick of this pretentious 'coast' vernacular?)

Maybe, and this is just my own thought here, since you've got so much going on in the traditional subtractive synthesis department, what if you make your euro excursion an extension of the synths you already have? i.e. when I stared my Euro system, it was supposed to be an 84hp row to complement my Vostok, Kraftzwerg, Dot Com, Telemark, Red Square, and Oberkorn. My intention was to just go for things that my current synths couldn't already do and weird stuff to process sounds, or as sources to be processed by the others. My first couple modules were an Eko, 4075 filter, Wasp filter, Sampler, NW1, IMP, an LS1, and stuff like that. They played very nicely with the Vostok and it gave me joy. When I got the Atari Punk Console and the Benjolin though, that's when it all started to click what exactly euro was capable of. That experience helped to mold my view of Eurorack and cement the direction I really wanted to take, which was to sell off all of my-fixed architecture synths and go completely modular, sampling my system to get around tuning issues and creating polyphony as needed.

Your ultimate goal probably won't be the same as mine (an entire house with modules instead of walls and furniture!) but I think the experience of putting together something that is designed to supplement what you already have will help you to figure out what you really want from modular.

...might be a little easier on the wallet than buying all the Cwejman you can find, too.
Old 19th January 2017
  #665
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Just saw on the Sonic State blog that Waldorf have an analog filter coming: https://www.instagram.com/p/BPakrGegkIc/
WOW! An analogue filter! In Euro!
1
Share
Old 19th January 2017
  #666
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Agreed.
I couldn't justify the $$ I had tied up in them, so off they went.
And I've had Serge, Buchla, Polyfusion and Arp.
You sold off the Buchla chrisso!?
Old 19th January 2017
  #667
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Emphasis mine: this is the root of my complaint (no offense T-verse). What does "decidedly vintage" even mean? Does an early 70s Minimoog share something in common with a vintage Easel that I've simply missed in my 20 year career in audio? Because they're both decidedly vintage and have very little in common categorically (sonically even less).

People just can't resist throwing out analogies when it comes to Cwejman and Macbeth; but they tend to convey little meaning and much enthusiasm.
It really just means that Macbeth spends time (well, whatever he does) to use parts that have tolerances like 1970s parts. So the minimoog and easel would also be built with 1970s parts, but sonically, you're right, it doesn't mean anything specific.

I haven't used his gear, but I think it is a selling point for some people.
Old 19th January 2017
  #668
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
Some old designs also use clamps as VCO cores. That's way different to later designs, as they track very ****ty these core aren't used with later designs any more (unless 'vintage style').
Old 19th January 2017
  #669
Gear Maniac
 
BigSteak's Avatar
 

What's the deal with the new 4ms faceplates? I heard the SMR is PCB, and the DLD looks the same. Their prototype looks like aluminum, but what happened to the crazy colors?!

I just finished DIY'ing my 4ms RCD but I can't try it out yet. Still waiting on a flying bus board and bigger power supply for my uzeus. Does anyone have experience wiring passive bus boards using a ribbon cable? I got a Meng Qi flat back passive bus board to eliminate flying bus board mess. I wasn't thinking and thought it would just attach via a ribbon cable but I see I was wrong now...
Old 19th January 2017
  #670
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
What do you think? No Assimil8tor yet at this Namm?
Old 19th January 2017
  #671
Lives for gear
 
lineofcontrol's Avatar
 

What about the Tom Oberheim modules that were shown like 2 years ago???
Old 19th January 2017
  #672
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
The phaser is coming



But we also thought this two years ago, didn't we? If stuff never gets released they can keep showing the same new products over and over again
Old 19th January 2017
  #673
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
My O+C showed up today! A really nice build from Magpie Modular. Looking forward to really digging into this. I love deep and feature rich modules ... And yes, there's a USB port on it for quick and simple upgrades. v1.2 has a new sequencer mode in it.

Unfortunately, I'm now up to about 160hp+ of unracked modules. I need my damn 12u!
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-fullsizerender-3-.jpg  
1
Share
Old 19th January 2017
  #674
Gear Maniac
 
BigSteak's Avatar
 

O+C is a game changer for me. I have no desire for a high end sequencer now.
Old 19th January 2017
  #675
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
My O+C showed up today! A really nice build from Magpie Modular. Looking forward to really digging into this. I love deep and feature rich modules ... And yes, there's a USB port on it for quick and simple upgrades. v1.2 has a new sequencer mode in it.

Unfortunately, I'm now up to about 160hp+ of unracked modules. I need my damn 12u!
Beautiful looking module that O&C one..it's an all digital trigger sequencer random CV generator..?
Old 19th January 2017
  #676
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Beautiful looking module that O&C one..it's an all digital trigger sequencer random CV generator..?
Pretty much, though it's much more than random.

I've only had time to play with the CopierMaschine and Harrington 1200 (analog shift and chords) modes so far, but it's probably the damn coolest thing I have in my rack. I had a great patch going in CopierMaschine that I was "playing" by just varying the speed of a Batumi LFO channel. With Harrington mode, if it only did V/OCT to for transposition, Chord would be mostly redundant.

It pairs great with Frames in euclidean mode and would also really go well with the SSM (current not racked due to limited space). I can also now understand the value of something like Pressure Points. That would make a great controller for O&C, though I'm going to stick with the SQ-1 in active step mode for the time being.

Only complaint about O&C is that the screen is a bit small, and it's going to be another patch cable jungle in that region of my case (but that's also a good thing).
Old 19th January 2017
  #677
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Yeah I've wondered about pressure points myself a few times, there's nothing quite like that extra bit of hands on ness..
Old 19th January 2017
  #678
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
My O+C showed up today! A really nice build from Magpie Modular.
I was just checking my tracking from magpie for the black one I ordered.
Turing machine, Stillson hammer mk2 & O&C, I'm gonna be busy january!




gyz, I've got a 6U LowCostCase now sitting unused, (no room). I do have room for for a 3U 168hp case. Is it worth modding/destroying the original case to suit my space or should I sell it and and just buy/build something from scratch?
Old 19th January 2017
  #679
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
My O+C showed up today! A really nice build from Magpie Modular.
I'm happy you have a O+C however i do not like Magpie Modular the fact he is blatantly using MI/Olivers PCB/Schematic/designs (Micro braids for example) and making a cottage industry out of them, and i fear its guys like him that will ruin the Euro DIY thing especially when it comes to MI modules, Oliver's vision was for somebody to get a PCB printed and try building his module for his own use, not start a company

and even calls his company Magpie, a bird in popular folklore that steals things

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteak View Post
What's the deal with the new 4ms faceplates? I heard the SMR is PCB, and the DLD looks the same. Their prototype looks like aluminum, but what happened to the crazy colors?!
I was pretty gutted when my SMR turned up and the faceplate wasn't aluminium, i felt a bit cheated knowing how much cheaper plastic panels are compared to aluminium, however once in the rack it looks fine and doesn't look cheap like some other plastic panel modules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteak View Post
I just finished DIY'ing my 4ms RCD but I can't try it out yet.
Well done the LED placement makes the RCD quite a tricky build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Beautiful looking module that O&C one..it's an all digital trigger sequencer random CV generator..?
The fact O&C runs on a Teensy makes it a blank computer that can be anything you want it to be depending on what the firmware tells it to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Yeah I've wondered about pressure points myself a few times, there's nothing quite like that extra bit of hands on ness..
Ive been tempted to get a Pressure points, compared to other modules they seem reasonably priced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
I don't think they offer full kits. Both are PCB/Panel only. I had a 10% off coupon for modular addict that I _had to use_ by January 31. I've gotten over my "fear" of sourcing my own components.
Good i'm glad you have to source your own components for the "RS Res EQ" because I've seen the kit built ones and they leave me "cold" that film caps are used for 61hz and a few other frequencies (for cheapness). I used Polystyrene for all 10 bands.
Funny the 22N's polystyrenes i got from Rush-on-line, and them two big black things turned up

Heres the one i built with a diagram showing which caps do which band, it actually came in handy for me when i was fault finding my other Ken stone/Manhattan EQ.




On the Ken stone version i used these soviet military grade K71-7 on the 61Hz

1
Share
Old 19th January 2017
  #680
Lives for gear
 
depulse's Avatar
I couldn't resist the Roland System-500. I got the first four (512, 521, 530, 540). The 572 seemed less interesting, I'm using the Demora for that. Too bad the five do not fit in a 84 HP case, the total width is 85, I will cut out the left side to accommodate the Demora. I don't understand why they had to make the Aira modulars 21 HP wide instead of 20 HP.
1
Share
Old 19th January 2017
  #681
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
You sold off the Buchla chrisso!?
Nope.
Old 19th January 2017
  #682
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I'm happy you have a O+C however i do not like Magpie Modular the fact he is blatantly using MI/Olivers PCB/Schematic/designs (Micro braids for example) and making a cottage industry out of them, and i fear its guys like him that will ruin the Euro DIY thing especially when it comes to MI modules, Oliver's vision was for somebody to get a PCB printed and try building his module for his own use, not start a company
I know this has come up before on MW but I have to say...if this was such a huge concern then Oliver could very simply not open source his work. The fact that he does in spite of companies like Magpie existing suggests to me that he probably doesn't care nearly as much as you do. In fact I'm pretty sure I remember him saying that explicitly. Has he even asked Magpie not to? Or to pay a license? Do we know any of these details? Because they seem pretty relevant to the case you're trying to make.

This also seems to imply the common (but totally wrong) notion that time has no value in DIY. Which is simply not the case. Paying someone to construct a module is not abusive of the DIY system; for some of us it is far more cost effective than building something (trust me, MW DIY'ers charge a lot less per hour than I do). Paying a guy a lump sum to cover build time, parts and R&D (I believe Magpie does all of his own panels; and, at least with uBraids, sometimes requires a total redo in the layout [as it is a different size]). I get that there are people in the DIY community who just do stuff like this as a favor and then release it for free (I wouldn't, personally, but some do); but I wouldn't begrudge someone for trying to recoup some costs after making a sizable time donation to a DIY project for others. You can be sure the Magpie guy isn't driving around in his Ferrari laughing at you (my bet would be he has to have a day job actually and that Magpie is probably a slight money loser over the long haul).
3
Share
Old 19th January 2017
  #683
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post

Good i'm glad you have to source your own components for the "RS Res EQ" because I've seen the kit built ones and they leave me "cold" that film caps are used for 61hz and a few other frequencies (for cheapness). I used Polystyrene for all 10 bands.
Funny the 22N's polystyrenes i got from Rush-on-line, and them two big black things turned up

Heres the one i built with a diagram showing which caps do which band, it actually came in handy for me when i was fault finding my other Ken stone/Manhattan EQ.




On the Ken stone version i used these soviet military grade K71-7 on the 61Hz

Yeah, I would be afraid that a kit would potentially include far less quality ICs and caps, so even had I known there were full kits I likely wouldn't have gone that route. I'm going to try to use the Polystyrene wherever the BOM lists them. The Dual Wasp also has a Polystyrened cap or two and upgraded IC(s).

That K71-7 is crazy, especially on that tiny PCB!
Old 19th January 2017
  #684
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
I know this has come up before on MW but I have to say...if this was such a huge concern then Oliver could very simply not open source his work. The fact that he does in spite of companies like Magpie existing suggests to me that he probably doesn't care nearly as much as you do. In fact I'm pretty sure I remember him saying that explicitly. Has he even asked Magpie not to? Or to pay a license? Do we know any of these details? Because they seem pretty relevant to the case you're trying to make.
To me, the issue isn't whether Olivier has an issue with it or not - but rather the fact that a company is using the designs for profit (even if it is small) is against what I believe to be the spirit of open source.
Old 19th January 2017
  #685
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
To me, the issue isn't whether Olivier has an issue with it or not - but rather the fact that a company is using the designs for profit (even if it is small) is against what I believe to be the spirit of open source.
Well I'm not convinced that they are in fact profiting from this operation but...for me the guiding light would be if Olivier asked them to stop and they didn't (and he was just like "Whatever, not worth my time...") then I would agree it's questionable and I probably wouldn't buy their modules. But if Olivier said it was all good and that's just another part of its open source life cycle then I wouldn't have any problem; why should I if the supposed 'victim' doesn't?

I vaguely recall a discussion about this that Olivier did chime in on but I don't recall the specifics of his comments (or perhaps I'm remembering poorly). So I would personally be curious to hear what his feelings were on the matter.
Old 19th January 2017
  #686
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
if this was such a huge concern then Oliver could very simply not open source his work.
and that simple line is the only thing that Bothers me.
Old 19th January 2017
  #687
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Yeah I've wondered about pressure points myself a few times, there's nothing quite like that extra bit of hands on ness..
I had one and it's one of the few modules I've ever sold. It's a neat module in that you can switch between four signals with ease, but the deal breaker for me was the 'pressure' part of the name. I got it with the intent of using the four pressure pads as four different CV sources, but it doesn't work that way. The pressure only affects the active channel, so you can't have four fingers on four pads sending out four different pressure signals. On top of that, it doesn't have a master pressure signal output the way it does with the CV knobs, so you can't send pressure points from all four channels while you play it without killing off a mixer. If all I was going to be able to do with it was switch between a series of four CV sets, it made more sense to me to use the Oberkorn instead and switch between them sequentially or use the positioning inputs to send triggers if I just need to go that route.
Old 19th January 2017
  #688
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
and that simple line is the only thing that Bothers me.
How come? It is literally 100% Olivier's choice if he wants to make stuff open source or not. He could choose from one of a million kinds of licenses. Open source means openly available; in addition to the positives it brings to the table one also has to deal with the ramifications, something that Olivier seems to be totally okay with. So why is all that offensive to you?
1
Share
Old 19th January 2017
  #689
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
gyz, I've got a 6U LowCostCase now sitting unused, (no room). I do have room for for a 3U 168hp case. Is it worth modding/destroying the original case to suit my space or should I sell it and and just buy/build something from scratch?
It's worth it. The power supply used in those (even the old ones with PSU-2's in them) are pretty juicy, the bus boards are hand, and the rails are great. When I decided to put everything in 19" racks, I gutted my LC6, stuck the rails into some Z-Ears, and with the help of some flying bus boards to supplement the pre-existing bus boards, that power supply is now juicing an 18u rack.
Old 19th January 2017
  #690
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
I don't understand why they had to make the Aira modulars 21 HP wide instead of 20 HP.
I think it was tactical: All four of them fill up 84hp. You get that one oddball of theirs, and the first thought is to get a second to at least get an even number, but now that rack looks lopsided, so why not go ahead and get the other two?

Also, I think Roland went into this thinking people would have systems that consisted of only their modules (which I have seen done, so it's not so far-fetched an idea.) It's kinda 'convenient' that all of the modules that they make come up to an even 3x84hp, don't you think?
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump