The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 17th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Yep, you don't have to teach your modular to make songs for you. You could also get the randomization from Wogglebug or that SSF module, run it through a quantizer, and you're good.
In all seriousness, I think it isn't hard to get the modular to spit out musical CV. It is harder to get it to evolve over longer periods of time without becoming too samey. I've been meaning to ask over at the MI forums if it would be possible to hack Branches so that instead of doing a coin toss on every trigger, you could re-purpose the bias CV so that the coin toss happens when that receives a trigger. E.g. trigger that with resets and you could say, randomly change from one drum sound to another but only every 64 clocks.

That got me thinking about a Branches type module that works more as a switch than a router. So you could say feed it 2 bassline CVs and every x clocks it would decide randomly which of the 2 signals to route to the VCO or whatever. I don't have all of the modules I need but I've sketched out patches like this with random generators and VC switches but it takes a lot of modules to get there. It maybe easier to hack a digital module that has the right hardware connections and controls.
Old 17th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
You could play that with your weener, and have hands free to patch other racks
Takes the term "rack rash" to a whole other level.
Old 17th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
In all seriousness, I think it isn't hard to get the modular to spit out musical CV. It is harder to get it to evolve over longer periods of time without becoming too samey. I've been meaning to ask over at the MI forums if it would be possible to hack Branches so that instead of doing a coin toss on every trigger, you could re-purpose the bias CV so that the coin toss happens when that receives a trigger. E.g. trigger that with resets and you could say, randomly change from one drum sound to another but only every 64 clocks.

That got me thinking about a Branches type module that works more as a switch than a router. So you could say feed it 2 bassline CVs and every x clocks it would decide randomly which of the 2 signals to route to the VCO or whatever. I don't have all of the modules I need but I've sketched out patches like this with random generators and VC switches but it takes a lot of modules to get there. It maybe easier to hack a digital module that has the right hardware connections and controls.
Here's more on that Oracle module I was talking about.

The Oracle – Pucktronix

Sounds like it would do just the trick potentially, and it appears to have CV control over the probability of sequential variations.
Old 17th January 2017
Lives for gear

Going to build the triple sloth tomorrow, looking at my rack there's no module I want to replace with the sloth, looks like I'm going to have to make some room to start a new rack.
Old 17th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's more on that Oracle module I was talking about.

The Oracle – Pucktronix

Sounds like it would do just the trick potentially, and it appears to have CV control over the probability of sequential variations.
That sounds cool. I'll have to watch the videos when I get home. Some of the O&C modes also seem to be in the ballpark and there are a couple really interesting Noise engineering modules that focus on generative.
Old 17th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
You guys know me way too well!
I just remembered that I still have the case for the Kraftzwerg from before I mounted it in the rack. I think what I'm going to do just to try it out and see if this is worth the expense is to take that case, slip my LP1's and LS1's in there, and just snake some power in from a nearby case.
Old 17th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Something like that wouldn't be too hard to bring together. Doepfer A-151 and a clock divider controlling when it switches over would do it. The A-151 is a handy module for so much anyway. I love feeding it two signals from the same oscillator, and then using the square wave from that oscillator to change waveforms every cycle. It's especially awesome if you're feeding it PWM pulses and a saw so you get the character of a saw, but with this chorusing interwoven into it.
Old 17th January 2017
Lives for gear

Revised control box thing. Based around a Power Lunch with a bunch of FSR's added and the Pressure Points removed. The LS1 and FSR in the center are for my peener so I can play this thing with my fingers and the winky gets the whole strip in the middle. Also, 44hp is a weird size to be working with.
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Going to build the triple sloth tomorrow, looking at my rack there's no module I want to replace with the sloth, looks like I'm going to have to make some room to start a new rack.
Ordered the RS Dual Wasp and Res EQ last night, along with another Zlob VnCursal VCA and Entropy Noise/S & H. I'll very soon be at the point you're at, deciding what to tear out...
Old 18th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ordered the RS Dual Wasp and Res EQ last night, along with another Zlob VnCursal VCA and Entropy Noise/S & H. I'll very soon be at the point you're at, deciding what to tear out...
That Dual wasp wish I had the cash

Is the Res EQ full kit or are your sourcing your own parts ?
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That Dual wasp wish I had the cash

Is the Res EQ full kit or are your sourcing your own parts ?
I don't think they offer full kits. Both are PCB/Panel only. I had a 10% off coupon for modular addict that I _had to use_ by January 31. I've gotten over my "fear" of sourcing my own components. Some of the caps are tough to find, but between Small Bear and Mouser, perhaps a small ebay order, I should be good. I've got a good sized mouser cart going now for the Squid Axon and these two. Still have to add the Zlob stuff, then go through my current inventory compared to the cart and subtract.
Old 18th January 2017
Gear Addict
Does anyone know of a place that might have the Macbeth Dual Oscillator and Backend Filter in stock? Also any of the Cwejman stuff?
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty.west View Post
Does anyone know of a place that might have the Macbeth Dual Oscillator and Backend Filter in stock? Also any of the Cwejman stuff?
Goooooood luck with that!

Check the Muff Wiggler secondhand listings to see if someone is unloading them.
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Guess who's got a working Nebulae!

Marbles:
Roland Scooper
Epoch Benjolin
Qu-Bit Nebulae
Flame Talking Synth
Analogue Solutions BD99
Pittsburgh Verbtronic
Bubblesound SEM20
Bastl Cinnamon
Audio Damage Grainshift
Doepfer Quad LFO
Doepfer Waveform Processor
MFB Kraftzwerg
Analogue Solutions Adaptor
Blue Lantern BMX
EMW Snare Lab 101
Flame FX-16
Qu-Bit RT60
MFB OSC-01
Flight of Harmony Plague Bearer
Blue Lantern Mini Shimmery
Intellijel Unity Mixer
Mutable Streams
Delptronics Trigger Man
Mutable Grids
Ginko Grains
Analogue Solutions Oberkorn
Pittsburgh LFO2
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You won't find them new in stock anywhere; well if you're really dedicated you might find new Cwejman modules as they trickle in to retailers but you better be refreshing that webpage every five minutes for the next six months. The Macbeth Euro modules were manu'd something like 4-6 years ago and were fairly hard to find new already when I got into this in 2013. And when you say "any of the Cwejman stuff" really? You want to just buy any module regardless of function if it says Cwejman on it? That makes little sense to me.

Being perfectly honest (and I'm sure some will consider this blasphemy but whatever): the only real difference between Cwejman and Macbeth and just about every other Euro manufacturer is that they both drastically underproduce (based on their typical demand) and create a false sense of scarcity. I'm not saying, incidentally, that they do this on purpose or for 'marketing' reasons; I suspect there are financial and time constraints which have led them to the sorts of manufacturing processes they've adopted. But even still this scarcity seems to give people the false impression that they are the "top" of the Euro game. Top of the Euro market, maybe (though how you could be the top of the market and drastically underproduce is a mystery; top of the second hand market is more like it); but in terms of producing modules that are "better" than their competition? Not really. As good as? Certainly. I'm not trying to suggest that either makes shoddy equipment.

From posts on the subject my further hypothesis is: becoming a Cwejman collector is damned near a part time job. It's a constant hunting process where you wait and stalk and then when you see one in the wild you POUNCE. But you know what that doesn't seem to leave much time for? Actually using your modules! Show me a Macbeth demo (that wasn't done by Ken himself) or, even better, a Cwejman demo that will rock my socks off. Seems weird that the world's "best modules" have virtually no exposure, right?
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Stillson Hammer owner here. I was kinda meh about it when I first got it, but the more I dig into it and memorize the shift-functions, the more I find to like about it. Honestly, my favorite part of it is the randomization settings. Pick a key, randomize pitches, randomize gate lengths, party hard. The sliders are nifty, but I honestly could live without them.

If you want to go in a completely opposite direction from the Elektron, get something like an Oberkorn. Three channels, sixteen steps, two gate channels, and all knobs to get there. You'd want a quantizer to get it exact and musical, but it's a lot of fun. Even when you're not using it for notes, as a modulation source it's stunning. I sold mine when I got the Stillson Hammer thinking I wouldn't need it again, but I ended up buying a replacement. Just such a great module to have.
Took a look at the Oberkorn (and Eurokorn), like where the name comes from. Both are huge though. I was into the Eurokorn, less than $500, until I saw it was 95mm deep.
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Goooooood luck with that!

Check the Muff Wiggler secondhand listings to see if someone is unloading them.
Plus, they're $1400!

Analog Haven has the single voice versions in stock if you want to go that route.
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

RE: Macbeth modules. $700 per oscillator? A single oscillator? Is there really an oscillator that's worth that much? $700 for a dual EG? An envelope generator that doesn't even offer CV control and is just a basic ADSR?

Smitty, why are you looking at eurorack anyway? If you're looking at these 'luxury' east coast modules here, I think you might be happier with a 5U.
Old 18th January 2017
Quote:
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Careful, or you'll end up with this-

this is the music I dream of making!
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

This modular controller idea is too hard to pin down for me. Now I'm thinking that since I do eventually want a Mother 32, I could just put the Mother in my rack and use the case to do this:

Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Stillson Hammer, Turing Machine, and Grids with random CV pumped into the controls. You can get beautiful controlled-randomness with that combo.

Edit: And that Clarke Imaginator thing, but that sucker looks like a pain in the ass since it insists on using MIDI. 1-Song could probably help too, though I haven't tried it.
never seen that Clarke Imaginator, looks good. but I don't need my eurorack to be midiIN/OUT. I need CV (like everyone else)

turing machine is fantastic, yet I keep using it as a pitched oscillator.
Stillson Hammer is also great; only got mine two weeks ago, so I'm still diving in.
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Just saw on the Sonic State blog that Waldorf have an analog filter coming: https://www.instagram.com/p/BPakrGegkIc/
Old 18th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
the only real difference between Cwejman and Macbeth and just about every other Euro manufacturer is that they both drastically underproduce
I partially agree with this. I have a few Cwejman modules that I bought 6 or 7 years ago when I first got into Eurorack. At that time, they were no where near as rare, nor were they as expensive (at least $100 less per module). I assume this is because the scene was much smaller then. Scarcity definitely adds to fuel to the GAS fire (pun intended).

That said, there's some legit magic in his stuff. I've had 5 different analog oscillators, and none of them can touch the FM sensitivity that Cwejman has. I don't know how or why, but the FM is unreal. Plus, the PWM saw waves are a unique feature I don't think I've seen elsewhere (on the VCO-6).

Filters are very nice too. I think there's more worthy competition in that department though.
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase_ghost View Post
I partially agree with this. I have a few Cwejman modules that I bought 6 or 7 years ago when I first got into Eurorack. At that time, they were no where near as rare, nor were they as expensive (at least $100 less per module). I assume this is because the scene was much smaller then. Scarcity definitely adds to fuel to the GAS fire (pun intended).

That said, there's some legit magic in his stuff. I've had 5 different analog oscillators, and none of them can touch the FM sensitivity that Cwejman has. I don't know how or why, but the FM is unreal. Plus, the PWM saw waves are a unique feature I don't think I've seen elsewhere (on the VCO-6).

Filters are very nice too. I think there's more worthy competition in that department though.
I think special features (which Cwejman modules do tend to be ULTRA-FEATURED) are the real and only reason to prefer a specific Cwejman module, sure.

PWM saw waves should be easy with an AFG no? It's definitely not unique to Cwejman though your point is well taken: Cwejman does make nice stuff. I realize it seems like I'm dissing Ken and Wowa but I'm really not: I'm more dissing the attitude of the collectors and what they've done to Cwej and Mac's reputations. But collectors ruin every good market for practical devices, driving up prices and reducing available supply.
Old 18th January 2017
Gear Maniac
I see Cwejman and MacBeth stuff as unique but pricey. Cwejman is ultra-modern analog while MacBeth is decidedly vintage.

Cwejman usually produces 3-4 modules 1-2 times a year. Bigcitymusic sells them state side (think they still have VC02 in stock and it's not cheap). I think he gets good feedback on what he builds, so only certain modules get made now like filters, oscillators, vcas, envelopes, resonators, compressors, etc. Hence most of the smaller/cheaper stuff in his lineup doesn't get made anymore.

MacBeth, you have to wait for announcements. If you knew the micromac was coming, it was easy to buy (if you wanted to pay, of course).
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase_ghost View Post
Plus, the PWM saw waves are a unique feature I don't think I've seen elsewhere (on the VCO-6).
There is a magical world of PWM sawteeth out there...

(which in turn gets this capability from the same CEM that powers this PWM sawtooth beast)

There aren't many synths I miss from the fixed-architecture world. AX60 is at the top of that list. If I can ever find an A-111-5 at the same time that I happen to have money for it, I will be sooooooo happy. Just need a good analog chorus to go along with it.
Old 18th January 2017
I haven't seen this posted here yet, so thought I'd share since it's Eurorack related (I also posted it on the NAMM 2017 thread) 4MS showing their Stereo Triggered Sampler...

Old 18th January 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:

Smitty, why are you looking at eurorack anyway? If you're looking at these 'luxury' east coast modules here, I think you might be happier with a 5U.
5U is the route I originally wanted to go, but after researching for months I settled on Euro due to the vast array of modules available- mainly due to the plethora of incredible effects/processors, stuff 5U can only dream of. The Macbeth stuff might be east cost in flavour, sure, but that's just a fraction of what interests me in the format- and I've got a Model D that satisfies the east coast cravings. Anyway, a few pages back I mentioned that I'm also interested in getting a Furthrrrr Generator, a west coast style vco, so def. not just into the east coast thing- plus there's a bunch of other west coast modules I'm planning on getting. I'm just taking my time and exploring all the options, nothing wrong with that. Also I'm now thinking of starting w/ an east coast vco/vcf because I'm more familiar with it and would ease into west coast stuff soon after. Who knows what I'll end up with... I won't post until I've got something together.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search