The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 17th January 2017
  #601
Got my maths as a compliment to the Mother-32, knowing I was diving headfirst into a crazy world. Maths is still my first suggestion to anyone jumping in because it's so damn useful.

I don't really think about how I'm using it honestly I just start plugging sh1t in and twiddling knobs until it sounds like something. Maths really serves this"happy accident" workflow quite well.
Old 17th January 2017
  #602
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAndImprov View Post
Ignoring your question here, but... can the 0-Coast be rackmounted? I see it's a ModularGrid entry there and they'll usually make you take down or make private anything that you jammed in there yourself (like when I had my old Vostok on the Grid). If you can... I totally want it now.
Old 17th January 2017
  #603
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
That's great to know. I'd love to know about any and all Eurorack sequencers that have song mode. When the top box is full <and assuming I get a job someday> I'll be adding a Doepfer monster base case that will be primarily controllers and sequencers. It would change the way I work completely and take Midi (and the Octatrack) out of the Eurorack equation...It will be a long time filling up that box considering how much each module costs though...


Anybody else know Euro sequencers with song mode? Not sure I'd need more than one or two. Still praying for that Elektron Euromachine.
Good luck with that plan! I bought a Cell 90 last year to load up as a control boat, and that plan fizzled so hard. ...and yet I totally want to try it again because the idea of two LP1's and eight LS1's as a performance-oriented drone manipulator gets me so hard.
Old 17th January 2017
  #604
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Ignoring your question here, but... can the 0-Coast be rackmounted? I see it's a ModularGrid entry there and they'll usually make you take down or make private anything that you jammed in there yourself (like when I had my old Vostok on the Grid). If you can... I totally want it now.
There was a thread on Muffs...it can be done but iirc it required some pretty drastic modification to the PCB to make it fit; it's not sized to be racked in Euro (though it's apparently really close to the right size).
Old 17th January 2017
  #605
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Anybody else know Euro sequencers with song mode? Not sure I'd need more than one or two. Still praying for that Elektron Euromachine.
Also kinda sorta song-ish, Trigger Man can store patterns and those patterns can be chained together. I've seen a Richard Devine video where he had one loaded up with patterns, and sent the pattern selection an S&H signal to jump around between them.

God, I wish I were Richard Devine. I bet he gets all the chicks with his mad CV skills.
Old 17th January 2017
  #606
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Regarding sequencers, I've been looking for something to compliment my A4. My initial plan was to go with a Metropolis due to the UI; it's so different from the A4 and seems to lends itself to some tweaking random goodness. I'm now hearing more and more about the Audio Damage (maybe to A4 like) and even the Stillson Hammer. Usually, when it comes to indecision with a module I can head over to RobotSpeak and play for a bit. With sequencers though, it takes time to really dig in. Anyone have thoughts or recommendations on stuff complimentary to the A4?
Old 17th January 2017
  #607
Gear Maniac
 
BigSteak's Avatar
 

I gotta say, I totally disagree with the sentiment that modular won't help you write a better song. Why wouldn't Maths help you write a better song? That's like saying learning to bend guitar strings won't help you write a better song. Maths (or any module depending on the function) can help inspire you to write music in ways you wouldn't have thought of before.

Unless you're stating it as a philosophical statement where no technique or sound truly helps you write an objectively "better" song.
Old 17th January 2017
  #608
Gear Maniac
 
BigSteak's Avatar
 

I gotta say, I totally disagree with the sentiment that modular won't help you write a better song. It all depends on the music of course, but why shouldn't it? As someone who enjoys generative, ambient music, I feel like modular is the only way besides a computer to get the kind of music I want to make. Why wouldn't Maths help you write a better song? That's like saying learning to bend guitar strings won't help you write a better song. Maths (or any module depending on the function) can help inspire you to write music in ways you wouldn't have thought of before.

Unless you're stating it as a philosophical statement where no technique or sound truly helps you write an objectively "better" song, in which case I would have to ask what you think makes a good song.
1
Share
Old 17th January 2017
  #609
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteak View Post
I gotta say, I totally disagree with the sentiment that modular won't help you write a better song. It all depends on the music of course, but why shouldn't it? As someone who enjoys generative, ambient music, I feel like modular is the only way besides a computer to get the kind of music I want to make. Why wouldn't Maths help you write a better song? That's like saying learning to bend guitar strings won't help you write a better song. Maths (or any module depending on the function) can help inspire you to write music in ways you wouldn't have thought of before.

Unless you're stating it as a philosophical statement where no technique or sound truly helps you write an objectively "better" song, in which case I would have to ask what you think makes a good song.
Trying not to start a debate, but there's a difference between a song and the execution, when they both come together, you get magic. I'll pull out this bad "fanboy" example ... during Depeche Mode's Alan Wilder days, almost every song started with Martin Gore on acoustic guitar coming up with chords and structure. Alan would then take those sketches and do his thing with the help of Daniel Miller, Adrian Sherwood, or Flood. What they came up with using that workflow was amazing.

On the other side, you've got someone like Chemical Brothers. Great sounds, but is this stuff really a song? Can you hum a Chemical Brothers tune?

A modular won't help you write a better song, what it may do is help you execute on that idea in a creative and original way.
2
Share
Old 17th January 2017
  #610
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteak View Post
Unless you're stating it as a philosophical statement where no technique or sound truly helps you write an objectively "better" song.
For my part the sentiment probably relates to the difference between "make" a better song and "write" a better song. For me they are different. I'm on my phone so I don't feel like typing it all ATM but I can expand this idea in a bit if it serves the conversation.
Old 17th January 2017
  #611
Gear Maniac
 
BigSteak's Avatar
 

I don't want this to turn into a semantics debate, I'd just like a thorough explanation as to why an inspiring tool doesn't help you make OR write a better song. I don't listen to much chemical brothers but yes, they do write songs, regardless of how catchy they are. With modular you can get complex, evolving melodies that stick in your head. Lots of famous songs don't really change their chord structures, and it's easy to switch a melody and go back on modular if you know what you want to do. Maybe we haven't seen enough artists sing over their modular. Would that factor included make it so a particular module improves or helps make a good song better?

I'm not trying to be intentionally obtuse or start a hostile discussion, but I think we're selling ourselves short by saying modular doesn't help us write or make better songs, when that has been exactly my experience.
Old 17th January 2017
  #612
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
I'm planning on teaching my modular to write songs on its own so I don't have to.
5
Share
Old 17th January 2017
  #613
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteak View Post
I don't want this to turn into a semantics debate, I'd just like a thorough explanation as to why an inspiring tool doesn't help you make OR write a better song. I don't listen to much chemical brothers but yes, they do write songs, regardless of how catchy they are. With modular you can get complex, evolving melodies that stick in your head. Lots of famous songs don't really change their chord structures, and it's easy to switch a melody and go back on modular if you know what you want to do. Maybe we haven't seen enough artists sing over their modular. Would that factor included make it so a particular module improves or helps make a good song better?

I'm not trying to be intentionally obtuse or start a hostile discussion, but I think we're selling ourselves short by saying modular doesn't help us write or make better songs, when that has been exactly my experience.

Well, again this is just me and my thing, I still write songs on the piano, or at least using a piano sound, and then work up from there. "Songs" I have recorded using my modular only are abrasive, chaotic and nearly unlistenable (choosy moms choose something else) but really only because I chose to go that route in my modular infancy. Right now I am working on integrating a whole new workflow that will allow me to actually "write" normally on/with my modular. So, I guess I'll find out if it makes my songs better eventually. I have yet to make anything that resembles that "what it's like to listen to BOC on molly and coke" sound I've been hearing a lot of lately...

If we want to discuss this in the simplest way possible, then modular is a tool like all the rest. Will this jigsaw help me build a house better? Yes, but you'll need to learn how to use it first, and experience on a table saw wouldn't hurt although they are very different. I guess I was getting more into whether it would help with the architect's design choices or not, which it could to an extent, but once the foundation has been laid...I am a crazy person...
1
Share
Old 17th January 2017
  #614
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I'm planning on teaching my modular to write songs on its own so I don't have to.
Careful, or you'll end up with this-

Old 17th January 2017
  #615
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
A modular won't help you write a better song, what it may do is help you execute on that idea in a creative and original way.
I think this is what I was trying to say, well put.
Old 17th January 2017
  #616
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Regarding sequencers, I've been looking for something to compliment my A4. My initial plan was to go with a Metropolis due to the UI; it's so different from the A4 and seems to lends itself to some tweaking random goodness. I'm now hearing more and more about the Audio Damage (maybe to A4 like) and even the Stillson Hammer. Usually, when it comes to indecision with a module I can head over to RobotSpeak and play for a bit. With sequencers though, it takes time to really dig in. Anyone have thoughts or recommendations on stuff complimentary to the A4?
Stillson Hammer owner here. I was kinda meh about it when I first got it, but the more I dig into it and memorize the shift-functions, the more I find to like about it. Honestly, my favorite part of it is the randomization settings. Pick a key, randomize pitches, randomize gate lengths, party hard. The sliders are nifty, but I honestly could live without them.

If you want to go in a completely opposite direction from the Elektron, get something like an Oberkorn. Three channels, sixteen steps, two gate channels, and all knobs to get there. You'd want a quantizer to get it exact and musical, but it's a lot of fun. Even when you're not using it for notes, as a modulation source it's stunning. I sold mine when I got the Stillson Hammer thinking I wouldn't need it again, but I ended up buying a replacement. Just such a great module to have.
Old 17th January 2017
  #617
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I'm planning on teaching my modular to write songs on its own so I don't have to.
Stillson Hammer, Turing Machine, and Grids with random CV pumped into the controls. You can get beautiful controlled-randomness with that combo.

Edit: And that Clarke Imaginator thing, but that sucker looks like a pain in the ass since it insists on using MIDI. 1-Song could probably help too, though I haven't tried it.
Old 17th January 2017
  #618
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Good luck with that plan! I bought a Cell 90 last year to load up as a control boat, and that plan fizzled so hard. ...and yet I totally want to try it again because the idea of two LP1's and eight LS1's as a performance-oriented drone manipulator gets me so hard.


God help me, I really need someone to stop me from following through with this. All I need is six more LS1's, the Pressure Points, and an 84hp skiff.
Old 17th January 2017
  #619
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
WARNING: If you are easily offended or have strong religious convictions, DO NOT WATCH THIS! Just trying out stuff...

It sounds amazingly eerie and atmospheric. Really sounds like it's been composed for a strange satanic ritualistic horror film, and the little b&w clip took me to that place. I now want to see the movie and you have to get David Lynch to make it
1
Share
Old 17th January 2017
  #620
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
It sounds amazingly eerie and atmospheric. Really sounds like it's been composed for a strange satanic ritualistic horror film, and the little b&w clip took me to that place. I now want to see the movie and you have to get David Lynch to make it
Thank you, I appreciate that! Though, I would like to make the film myself (since I am also a "budding" Director.)
1
Share
Old 17th January 2017
  #621
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Ignoring your question here, but... can the 0-Coast be rackmounted? I see it's a ModularGrid entry there and they'll usually make you take down or make private anything that you jammed in there yourself (like when I had my old Vostok on the Grid). If you can... I totally want it now.
Mine is not racked, I just have it on ModularGrid because I consider it a part of my euro setup. But I remember seeing a post on Muffs where someone had mounted it in a Euro case. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Here's the thread that talks about racking it. I guess you have to re-solder the power input.
HTML Code:
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=153963&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=425

Last edited by NewAndImprov; 17th January 2017 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: Adding link
1
Share
Old 17th January 2017
  #622
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
Thank you, I appreciate that! Though, I would like to make the film myself (since I am also a "budding" Director.)
Even better. Get some people and take them into the woods for some strange ritual and an eerie old cabin to investigate. That sounds familiar
1
Share
Old 17th January 2017
  #623
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Even better. Get some people and take them into the woods for some strange ritual and an eerie old cabin to investigate. That sounds familiar
It sounds like you have something in common with John Carpenter then. I don't think he ever dabbled with modular though, or did he? I just read he used a Moog Modular III on his early work.

“I used only the modular system Moog III: five boxes of modules, with 4 sequencers, two keyboards, and a Ribbon Controller [a touch-sensitive strip that controls pitch]. However, I may have duplicated one or two of the [sound effects] on a Minimoog which was in the room…” “…I had written the Moog Modular Systems Handbook for Bob Moog, and without reservation preferred the quality of this famous instrument to any other.”

http://cultureramp.com/killer-punk/

1
Share
Old 17th January 2017
  #624
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
On the other side, you've got someone like Chemical Brothers. Great sounds, but is this stuff really a song? Can you hum a Chemical Brothers tune?
You could hum them all the time when they were the Dust Brothers, but once the name change to Chemical brothers they turned $hit, although "wide open" is fantastic and i'm humming it now whilst i type
Old 17th January 2017
  #625
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post


God help me, I really need someone to stop me from following through with this. All I need is six more LS1's, the Pressure Points, and an 84hp skiff.
You could play that with your weener, and have hands free to patch other racks
5
Share
Old 17th January 2017
  #626
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
You could play that with your weener, and have hands free to patch other racks
You know damn well that was his plan all along.
6
Share
Old 17th January 2017
  #627
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I'm planning on teaching my modular to write songs on its own so I don't have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Stillson Hammer, Turing Machine, and Grids with random CV pumped into the controls. You can get beautiful controlled-randomness with that combo.

Edit: And that Clarke Imaginator thing, but that sucker looks like a pain in the ass since it insists on using MIDI. 1-Song could probably help too, though I haven't tried it.
Yep, you don't have to teach your modular to make songs for you. You could also get the randomization from Wogglebug or that SSF module, run it through a quantizer, and you're good. Not sure if Woggle or Ultra Random can lock in patters like the Turing Machine, but that's the nice thing about the Turing - finding a good pattern and locking it in. Add pulses for random gates for envelopes.

And I forgot the company name, but there's a module called The Oracle which listens to CV then runs the incoming CV into an algorithm to produce slightly different musical variations of the CV. I don't remember if rhythmic possibilities were included yet or planned for future firmwares.

Bottom line is this: modular, like any other sort of electronic music instrument can help inspire. Sometimes, these tools can help in producing better songs. The thing is, it's all up to your imagination and how you use the tools.
1
Share
Old 17th January 2017
  #628
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAndImprov View Post
Mine is not racked, I just have it on ModularGrid because I consider it a part of my euro setup. But I remember seeing a post on Muffs where someone had mounted it in a Euro case. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Here's the thread that talks about racking it. I guess you have to re-solder the power input.
HTML Code:
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=153963&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=425
Ooh! There's some good news right there! Looks like I can also just thread the power supply through my case, so this is excellent to hear. WISHLISTED!!!
Old 17th January 2017
  #629
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
You could play that with your weener, and have hands free to patch other racks
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
You know damn well that was his plan all along.
You guys know me way too well!
Old 17th January 2017
  #630
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump