The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Is there a good software sequencer that would have similar capabilities of setting up random modulation as some of the modules?
I just found software version of the Roland 185 sequencer. This does look worth checking out.

M185 software step sequencer
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

This one still has me excited,
I've posted it again as its due early 2017.
This module will not be available in DIY like their other modules as its SMD with an ARM Chip.

Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
As you can see from the 4ms SCM & 2xManhattan mix's, i started DIY as soon as i got into Eurorack.
Yeah i'll DIY whenever its feasable too. Not just for the moneys, but also because i like doing it.

Finished an MI Ambika last winter, and this year i did an Oakley stand alone string effect.

I considered briefly to build a complete Oakley Modular, but decided to go Eurorack. Its cheaper and fits better into my current gear.

So what DIY modules would you consider crucial to build? What companies/kit providers do you recommend? I am really bad at sourcing parts. I am easily getting confused due to the german/english translation thing.
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just found software version of the Roland 185 sequencer. This does look worth checking out.

Xaoc Moskwa has a Random setting just a matter of flicking a toggle switch.

Intellijel Metropolis has 2 Aux that can be set to control almost any parameter then you could modulate the Aux with any Random voltage at your disposal.
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Not sure what version of Live you have, but there are a few Max4Live sequencers that may do some Euro-type sequencing.

SNaKe version 1.0 by mDang on maxforlive.com (emulates a Rene, ish)
Metroposeq version 1.0 by pvdn on maxforlive.com (emulates Metropolis, ish)

There's also a Klee sequencer available for the PC. Can't remember if it's M4L or solo or what. I demo'd it and decided against it.

As far as hardware goes, BSP has dual sequencers along with a drum trigger. It does random and probability stuff. I've found using it at much more than ten or twelve percent really produces some random stuff, so I don't use it often.

Also, the Turing Machine is a fantastic random tone generator that should be looked at along with the URA/Wogglebug's IMO. Combine it with some of the expanders like volts and pulses and you have a lot of great functionality.

I checked out this one below. It's a standard step sequencer but does the job. I expect I'll get a beatstep pro or an SQ1. Oh god the expense - I try not to think about it and find good prices on modules that I could resell if need be and not lose too much so I could take a nice holiday to South America or Australia.

I found this Roland M-185 soft seq:

M185 Max4Live version
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=75
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
So what DIY modules would you consider crucial to build? What companies/kit providers do you recommend? I am really bad at sourcing parts. I am easily getting confused due to the german/english translation thing.
To be honest I'm more a PCB/Panel man as i enjoy sourcing my own parts and it opens up a vast more choice.

If i was going to buy a Kit now it would be the 4MS PEG,
I think it would be a Module you'd always use.
OK the kit is expensive but still half the price of a Pre-built PEG.

I must admit I've not built a PEG yet but i want to.
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wouldn't necessarily look at what modules are crucial, but what functionality you want/need. Once you know what it is you need, you can look at DIY.

Having said that, I use by Befacto Dual Attenuverter/Offset module and Zlob VnCursal VCA quite frequently as well as the Turing Machine with Volts and Pulses expanders for random melodies and triggers. (pulses is SMD)

For waveshaping, I use the Ian Fritz 5 Pulses, which doesn't get too much love, but the people that have it love it. It converts things like ramps/saws/sharkfins to squares and does some serious funk.

4ms SCM and RCD would be good as you'll want clock dividers/multipliers, however I've read multiple comments on the difficulty of the build and getting the LEDs placed correctly. The Tsyklon Labs Chaos Divider is a long build, but definitely a great clock divider.

Meng Qi DPLPG is a quick little dual low pass gate that's easy. It's got a couple SMD components though. I still need to wire my Thomas White dual resonant LPGs which sound fantastic in videos.

I've also got two each of Bastl passive mults andZlob passive Attenumixers that I use quite a lot.

And finally I love the Zeroscope oscilloscope as I don't have a dedicated external one. It's all SMD.

Check out modularaddict.com, synthcube.com and thonk for DIY options as well as the DIY section at muffs for individuals selling PCBs/panels. You can do an entire system quite easily just with DIY.

Quote:
I checked out this one below. It's a standard step sequencer but does the job. I expect I'll get a beatstep pro or an SQ1. Oh god the expense - I try not to think about it and find good prices on modules that I could resell if need be and not lose too much so I could take a nice holiday to South America or Australia.

I found this Roland M-185 soft seq:

M185 Max4Live version
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=75
Very cool. Check out those other options as well. I believe they're free - if you have Max4Live, that is.

The SQ1 is only $99 USD, so you can probably get a used one for $79 USD or so. If you can buy modules used, you'l have a good shot of getting back almost all of your money. Watch modules you're interested in on modulargrid and keep an eye out at muffs in the for sale section.
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

It gets said a lot but new year, new thread so...
Utilities. Utility functions are largely what create the vast, complex, awesome patches you see in videos. When I say utility functions I'm talking about mixing, logic, slew, inversion, attenuation, amplification and the like. These are rather unsexy modules compared to VCFs or Clouds but here's some simple advice: pretty much any time you set a whole bunch of modulators at full range (whether that be 0 to +5 or -5 to +5 or 0 to 10, whatever) loose on a patch it's mostly gonna sound like fart. Getting modulations into smaller, useful ranges is the key. Nowadays there are lots of onboard utilities: especially mixers, VCAs, attenuators. So you might or might not require a whole bunch of extra modules. But definitely take care to have those functions represented because you're gonna need them. Personally I got behind on scaling, with my Octocontroller I now have a small army of modulators with no scaling or attenuation, something I'm not used to from my previously sheltered Maths/PEG life. So I think 4ms SISM is gonna happen soon. The thing you really can't have enough of is attenuators (which includes VCAs).
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm sure the Tiptop Quantizer will be fantastic and will be the Quantizer to have.

However.....

Am i the only person who thought for how long Tiptop have been working on it the official release video left them a bit flat

Then Kink released his video and everybody was saying wow, and i was still a bit flat

I assume its just I'm a grumpy old fart

I'm sure Mr. Devine will upload a 30 second video to change me perspective
If you're going to spend $300 on a quantizer, I'd look for one that did multiple outs / scales. Still not 100% sold on my uScale II and whether I should keep it or get an ADDAC 207, but it seems much more capable than the TipTop. If had the skills to built my own, it'd be an Ornaments + Crime.
Old 2nd January 2017
Quote:
I am looking for a quantizer module to put it behind a Turing Machine, which i have yet find the time to build

Anyways, any recommendations or things i should keep in mind when browsing MG?

DIY is preferred but not necessary.
TipTop, Intellijel, Flame (chords) or Doepfer. Or DIY.

https://www.thonk.co.uk/2015/04/soni...quantizer-kit/

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/clee-8-...tiser-pcb-set/
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Some guy over at Muffs has got a Grendel Drone Commander 2
and stuck it in a M2A1 case.

Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Has anyone ever experienced noise/ crackling/ hum on the audio out of SOME modules with one case while they worked perfectly in another case?

Both of my Tiptop drum modules had heavy noise problems in an Erica Skiff I got lately but they work perfectly in my Analogue Systems case...
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Two months in and this the first Sunday jam that I'm quite pleased with. I set up a couple of drum loops and sequences in Ableton. Any tips appreciated.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...TZSa05YWi1pcGc
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
It gets said a lot but new year, new thread so...
Utilities. Utility functions are largely what create the vast, complex, awesome patches you see in videos. When I say utility functions I'm talking about mixing, logic, slew, inversion, attenuation, amplification and the like. These are rather unsexy modules compared to VCFs or Clouds but here's some simple advice: pretty much any time you set a whole bunch of modulators at full range (whether that be 0 to +5 or -5 to +5 or 0 to 10, whatever) loose on a patch it's mostly gonna sound like fart. Getting modulations into smaller, useful ranges is the key. Nowadays there are lots of onboard utilities: especially mixers, VCAs, attenuators. So you might or might not require a whole bunch of extra modules. But definitely take care to have those functions represented because you're gonna need them. Personally I got behind on scaling, with my Octocontroller I now have a small army of modulators with no scaling or attenuation, something I'm not used to from my previously sheltered Maths/PEG life. So I think 4ms SISM is gonna happen soon. The thing you really can't have enough of is attenuators (which includes VCAs).
Excellent post, I'm new to modular but realised almost immediately that attenuation in particular is hugely important. Not having it is the equivalent of the filter mod amount knob on a fixed architecture synth being an on/off switch instead. Not hugely useful.
Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Addict
okay, just gonna' come right out and ask... how am i supposed to know what each vco is based off? i.e. dpo, verbos complex, furthrrrr generator = buchla (only gathered that after some reading). same question for vcf's as well.
Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty.west View Post
okay, just gonna' come right out and ask... how am i supposed to know what each vco is based off? i.e. dpo, verbos complex, furthrrrr generator = buchla (only gathered that after some reading). same question for vcf's as well.
get yourself a modulargrid account, this is the only place you need to go to research and understand what and how modules do and what they are based off..
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
2nd recomendation of Penrose. DIY and great price. I think i'll settle with it.

thanks
Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
A lot of them have names that just tell you exactly what they are like the AMSynths stuff (JP8!) or some are slightly more obtuse like the 4075 filter from Studio Electronics (the 4075 was the arp 2600 filter) etc...

Read and read more...I went from not knowing any manufacturers or modules to pretty much having a good handle on all of them in a relatively short period of time. The only ones I don't know at all are the Doepfer ones because they are just numbers!
Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Dipped my toe in with a Mother 32.. I think I'm going to put myself together a small eurorack (I know, I know..) but not with a traditional modular in mind - I'm going to build one based mostly on complete (or mostly complete) voices.. to make just a monster monosynth and hardware FSU module.

Likely starting with a Happy Ending Kit, a Lifeforms SV1 and a Mutable Clouds.. later a SE Tonestar for that 2600 flavor.
It's not a terrible idea, actually. I love voice modules. Some good ones to look for: Atomosynth Koe (it's weird, but it sounds really good), MFB Kraftzwerg (good luck finding one of the original eurorack versions, but you can take the desktop version and stick it in a rack), Intellijel Atlantis (I want one of these one day), Pittsburgh Synthesizer Box (a different flavor from the Lifeforms), Doepfer A-111-5 (since it's based on the chip from one of my favorite polysynths ever, I will annihilate whole civilizations to attain one for myself), Mutable Braids (internal VCA and envelope can turn this into a simple voice), and of course, Mutable Elements.
Old 3rd January 2017
Gear Guru

4075 filter was Arp Oddy I think..
Old 3rd January 2017
Gear Guru

Modular is a pain in the butt to clean & dust so I found this air pump that blows air at the perfect pressure to removes dust and crap from our machines, it cost $20 at k mart and y'all should be able to find them where ever you are...comes with 3 attachments...it's not as powerful as a proper air compressor but not so weak it can't move stuff, I was utterly impressed how much air it moved and it dusted my entire rig in no time..

Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
How did you guys ultimately decide which modules to go with when you were starting out? As you may know from the last thread, I'm looking to start a system, but am completely overwhelmed by the amount of choices. With oscillators, how did you pick/what did it come down to? Do folks ever get more than one kind of module? I.e. Would a Phonogene and Clouds have much overlap?
I started mine as a one-row accompaniment to my Vostok and it's since exploded into what it is now. I agree with Cane that you should totally go after the module(s) that caught your eye in the first place. If you can, try to go in a different direction from the synths you already have i.e. if you've got a lot of traditional analog subtractive synths, try something different like wavetables, FM, or additive. If you're an ITB softsynth kinda guy, try to get into the stuff that's not as easy to find in software like insane modulation or chaos circuits. In the end though, you're really not going to know what it is that you're going to want your system to be like until you get your first few modules and start defining your vision for modular.
Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Just to add some...
Control Voltage
Juno Records - yes, they sell many modular manufacturers and have some good deals while exchange rates are good

And for DIY...
Thonk - based in UK
Modular Addict
Synth Cube
Thanks, I knew I had to be forgetting at least a few dozen.
Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am looking for a quantizer module to put it behind a Turing Machine, which i have yet find the time to build

Anyways, any recommendations or things i should keep in mind when browsing MG?

DIY is preferred but not necessary.
I'm not much of a quantizer expert, but I will say to avoid the Blue Lantern Duo Q. I swear, that thing sounds like it's got a freakin' slew limiter on the input.
Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
This one still has me excited,
I've posted it again as its due early 2017.
This module will not be available in DIY like their other modules as its SMD with an ARM Chip.
Ooh... most definitely want!
Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
4075 filter was Arp Oddy I think..
I think you're right, but Studio Electronics markets it as being the 2600 filter. Still a great filter either way.
Old 3rd January 2017
Just scored a great deal on Craig's. Current plans include 8 total MI Modules, just got 3, 4, and 5!

Only Warps, Blinds and Veils to go...
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/363493
Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I think you're right, but Studio Electronics markets it as being the 2600 filter. Still a great filter either way.
The 2600 utilized the 4072. I'm guessing they're pretty similar as both:
-are 4-pole low pass integrator cascade filters
-"temperature compensated exponential control"
-both suffer the design miscalculation that limits the cutoff range to 12kHz
Though they each replace different sub-modules (the 4072 replaced the 4012 and the 4075 replaced the 4035) but both replaced filters were 4-pole low pass transistor ladders.
Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's not a terrible idea, actually. I love voice modules. Some good ones to look for: Atomosynth Koe (it's weird, but it sounds really good), MFB Kraftzwerg (good luck finding one of the original eurorack versions, but you can take the desktop version and stick it in a rack), Intellijel Atlantis (I want one of these one day), Pittsburgh Synthesizer Box (a different flavor from the Lifeforms), Doepfer A-111-5 (since it's based on the chip from one of my favorite polysynths ever, I will annihilate whole civilizations to attain one for myself), Mutable Braids (internal VCA and envelope can turn this into a simple voice), and of course, Mutable Elements.
Atlantis and Braids were already on my radar.. will check out the others.

I had no idea that the A-111-5 existed.. but it's discontinued?! Why? A eurorack darkstar is freaking awesome!
Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You might want ot see if this guy will part out his system. Just go lightly when it comes to annihilating us. The Modular Thread 2017Intellijel Metropolis Doepfer A-111-5 Dave Smith DSM01 An.Systems Noise + case
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search