The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Bishops Miscellany looks good. I might be tempted to try Thonk DIY kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zRi-4q4APE
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Bishops Miscellany looks good. I might be tempted to try Thonk DIY kit.

Be careful! DIY is its own separate addiction besides modular.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Be careful! DIY is its own separate addiction besides modular.
I get far more excited getting a box of components from Mouser than receiving a new module.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was looking the other day and was surprised the prices have really dropped on these.

Check this out. It's a virtual modular in a box.

Yep it reminds me a bit of a simplified Nord Modular. I have the whole set, however I wish they had implemented some sort of builtin patch memory...even just being able to swap between your 10 favorites would be nice. Though that's typical Roland, having a great idea but missing the mark at the very end....imho
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Mylar melodies posted this picture on Twitter/instagram, i commented on it myself about it being a drum rack.
It was only when i looked again later did i notice the Make Noise Switch/Mult type module.
I then went to make noise website to check it out only to find its not there...

So some new type of Make Noise Switchy Multi thingy on the horizon, interesting.

Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Yes, I thought Nord modular too, or an alternative option to ES modules.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll think I'll try the PEG then. Thanks.

Thing is I just bought a Doepfer A-141-2 dual ADSR but I guess the PEG has a lot more control than this?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/doepfer_a_...3jlxoC2_Lw_wcB
As usual, the Disting can do PEG type, clock timed envelopes if you want to play with that sort of function before investing funds and HP on a full featured PEG.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I get far more excited getting a box of components from Mouser than receiving a new module.
That's because you're a certified DIY junky. I've not yet been certified, so I get equally excited about new modules and mouser orders.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Patch help. First apologies if I am repeating myself but I thought reframing my question in a different way would help.

This is the standard subtractive patch I follow each time and I just bought the Doepfer envelope to modulate the VCF freq./cutoff which works really well. I tried doing it with LFO but doing with envelope seems much better. I mostly then use Maths and LFO to modulate the oscillator and this is about it. Can you give some tips on what other patch variations I can try. I would also like to ask what other modulation modules would be good (asking again) to give more control/add to the mix? I see everyone has the PEG so am interested in trying this out over Pamelas, Batumi, Octocontroller for now.

Also wanted to ask if you can (I imagine) chain different modulation modules together e.g. LFO controlling Maths controlling PEG then to CV input. Does that make sense? With most modules having only 2 or 3 CV inputs do you chain modules like this?

I have set up this minimal rack to illustrate the basic patch I am using.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/patc...grid_26104.jpg

I see Eden Grey has a nice minimal set up. What is the 3rd from left next to the Borg? A clone of something?

http://musictechfest.net/wp-content/...erformance.jpg
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Bishops Miscellany looks good.

Looks a good module been tempted in the past,
what bothers me is the price of kits in general nowadays,
That thing is going to be over £140 once VAT/P&P is added

The Fitzgreyve Polymoog Resonator cost me all in £50 to build (possibly less),
The kit is £132 before VAT/P&P is added, I'm worried.

I won't mention this anymore as I'm a good customer of theres.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Patch help. First apologies if I am repeating myself but I thought reframing my question in a different way would help.

This is the standard subtractive patch I follow each time and I just bought the Doepfer envelope to modulate the VCF freq./cutoff which works really well. I tried doing it with LFO but doing with envelope seems much better. I mostly then use Maths and LFO to modulate the oscillator and this is about it. Can you give some tips on what other patch variations I can try. I would also like to ask what other modulation modules would be good (asking again) to give more control/add to the mix? I see everyone has the PEG so am interested in trying this out over Pamelas, Batumi, Octocontroller for now.

I see Eden Grey has a nice minimal set up. What is the 3rd from left next to the Borg? A clone of something?

You don't describe what you're trying to accomplish, but it looks like you have a lot of modulation sources already (focus on learning Maths a bit more). Based on your system, I'd look at a second, different style of voice (maybe Rings), and clock division. If you upgrade your Peak to Dead Man's Catch, you'd also have a Turing Machine to play with. If that interests you, you might want a quantizer. (Here comes the pitch), I'd look into a Disting to let you play with that, and a ton of other functions to get ideas on how to expand even further.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I havn't got a Clue,
Its a VCO that doesn't seem to be on modular grid, (looks Dual with VCA's)
heres a closer look......

Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

This is the standard subtractive patch I follow each time....Can you give some tips on what other patch variations I can try.
The cool thing about Maths and proper function generators in general is the CV control over the rise and fall time. CVing fall time especially can be really musical with a really slow LFO or heavily slewed random. That's not something you can usually do with a fixed arch synth.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
You don't describe what you're trying to accomplish, but it looks like you have a lot of modulation sources already (focus on learning Maths a bit more). Based on your system, I'd look at a second, different style of voice (maybe Rings), and clock division. If you upgrade your Peak to Dead Man's Catch, you'd also have a Turing Machine to play with. If that interests you, you might want a quantizer. (Here comes the pitch), I'd look into a Disting to let you play with that, and a ton of other functions to get ideas on how to expand even further.
I don't know what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm learning as I go along and listening to other peoples music and looking at what modules they have for inspiration. I guess first to have a good control of doing subractive synthesis standard sounds (I'm getting there) but to be able to do more experimental self generative patches as well. I've played around with Maths a lot, I'm sure there's a lot more to discover but it always seems to do the same thing to me which is variations on LFO. I have Peaks Dead Man's loaded but haven't got round to playing with it yet. The Disting is on my list.

So following standard subtractive patching is okay? I was wondering what other type of patching I should look at or what I might be missing. I think I'm just a little confused playing around with Maths so much and not getting anything very different out of it.

Quote:
As usual, the Disting can do PEG type, clock timed envelopes if you want to play with that sort of function before investing funds and HP on a full featured PEG.
Ah that sounds great! I didn't know this. I'll try the Disting then and save some money Thanks.

I do have an Omikron and have been mixing these voices together with Braids through AMsynths JP8 which gave me some really nice results.

This is my full rack (with clock divider and Disting added), the one before was just to demonstrate the patch I use. I've not been that interested in Warps but the delay in Parasite would be nice.

Old 15th January 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:

Also wanted to ask if you can (I imagine) chain different modulation modules together e.g. LFO controlling Maths controlling PEG then to CV input. Does that make sense? With most modules having only 2 or 3 CV inputs do you chain modules like this?
Use extra Veil channels to have modulations modulate modulations and for mixing. Also use a channel and the lin/exp knob to shape the shape, might like how the LFO works if you patch it in. Maths can do stuff here too.

I agree with Void, with Maths, Theta, Peaks and the doepfer you can have 7 or 8 LFOs or 5 envelopes. Another sound source or filter would make more sense then a PEG. But, of course, get it all!
Old 15th January 2017
Gear Maniac
My wishlist is a Tonestar and looking for more digital oscillators. Waiting for the sonic potions one to see what it looks like and I've seen Noise Engineering has something called a Cursus on their instagram. Not sure if it's the alter evolution of a Loq or something new entirely.

That and I'm watching what comes in terms of poly voices. I think we're going to start see more of that following things like the Quadnic, Chord and Vox.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
Yep it reminds me a bit of a simplified Nord Modular. I have the whole set, however I wish they had implemented some sort of builtin patch memory...even just being able to swap between your 10 favorites would be nice. Though that's typical Roland, having a great idea but missing the mark at the very end....imho

Quote:
I don't know what I'm trying to accomplish, I'm learning as I go along and listening to other peoples music and looking at what modules they have for inspiration. I guess first to have a good control of doing subractive synthesis standard sounds (I'm getting there) but to be able to do more experimental self generative patches as well. I've played around with Maths a lot, I'm sure there's a lot more to discover but it always seems to the same thing to me which is variations on LFO. I have Peaks Dead Man's loaded but haven't got round to playing with it yet. The Disting is on my list.

So following standard subtractive patching is okay? I was wondering what other type of patching I should look at or what I might be missing.

So any other modulation sources like the PEG, Pamelas or Batumi won't give me much more?
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks guys. It's really hard to now what to get, I'm sure you appreciate. I just picked up an as new Disting on ebay for 70% normal price
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't know what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm learning as I go along and listening to other peoples music and looking at what modules they have for inspiration. I guess first to have a good control of doing subractive synthesis standard sounds (I'm getting there) but to be able to do more experimental self generative patches as well. I've played around with Maths a lot, I'm sure there's a lot more to discover but it always seems to do the same thing to me which is variations on LFO. I have Peaks Dead Man's loaded but haven't got round to playing with it yet. The Disting is on my list.

So following standard subtractive patching is okay? I was wondering what other type of patching I should look at or what I might be missing. I think I'm just a little confused playing around with Maths so much and not getting anything very different out of it.

Ah that sounds great! I didn't know this. I'll try the Disting then and save some money Thanks.

I do have an Omikron and have been mixing these voices together with Braids through AMsynths JP8 which gave me some really nice results.

This is my full rack (with clock divider and Disting added), the one before was just to demonstrate the patch I use. I've not been that interested in Warps but the delay in Parasite would be nice.

One thing about the Doepfer A-160 is that it's a mathematical clock divider. I ended up pairing it with a A-160-2 which is what I'd call a musical clock divider. You'll then want a master clock, Maths can do it with some limitations, and a mult probably ... that portion of my rack is the busiest and it's routed into almost everything; seven clock distro's and a couple of resets for almost every patch.

I like the setup, but if I were to do it again from the start, I might have gone with an Octocontroller instead; near the same price and HP once you add up everything. Lots of people also like the Tempi, but because I'm almost always sync'd with my Analog Rytm, I need to have a reset in my clock modules, something the Tempi lacks. The new Pamela's, once it's released, would also be an option, but I suspect it'll be menu driven like the current version. Rumor has it that the Pamela's will include euclidean rhythms in the stock firmware. I *LOVE* euclidean rhythms and when I installed Parasites on my Frames (which has a euclidean mode), that opened everything up for me.

One last thing, if you want to go wild and either are capable of SMD work, or can find someone to build it for you, there's Ornament & Crime. O&C is essentially all the cool Mutable hidden and alternate modes packed into a single box. Looks amazing and can't wait for mine to arrive next week. Depending on how I like and use it, it could free up up to 28hp for me, and it was only $265 for a fully built version.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Also the O&C uses a Teensy which is very easy to install firmware on over USB.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Verse View Post
Use extra Veil channels to have modulations modulate modulations and for mixing. Also use a channel and the lin/exp knob to shape the shape, might like how the LFO works if you patch it in. Maths can do stuff here too.

I agree with Void, with Maths, Theta, Peaks and the doepfer you can have 7 or 8 LFOs or 5 envelopes. Another sound source or filter would make more sense then a PEG. But, of course, get it all!

Quote:
One thing about the Doepfer A-160 is that it's a mathematical clock divider. I ended up pairing it with a A-160-2 which is what I'd call a musical clock divider. You'll then want a master clock, Maths can do it with some limitations, and a mult probably ... that portion of my rack is the busiest and it's routed into almost everything; seven clock distro's and a couple of resets for almost every patch.

I like the setup, but if I were to do it again from the start, I might have gone with an Octocontroller instead; near the same price and HP once you add up everything. Lots of people also like the Tempi, but because I'm almost always sync'd with my Analog Rytm, I need to have a reset in my clock modules, something the Tempi lacks. The new Pamela's, once it's released, would also be an option, but I suspect it'll be menu driven like the current version. Rumor has it that the Pamela's will include euclidean rhythms in the stock firmware. I *LOVE* euclidean rhythms and when I installed Parasites on my Frames (which has a euclidean mode), that opened everything up for me.

One last thing, if you want to go wild and either are capable of SMD work, or can find someone to build it for you, there's Ornament & Crime. O&C is essentially all the cool Mutable hidden and alternate modes packed into a single box. Looks amazing and can't wait for mine to arrive next week. Depending on how I like and use it, it could free up up to 28hp for me, and it was only $265 for a fully built version.
Thanks. I was looking at the 4ms rotating clock divider but a lot more expensive so the Doepfer A160-2 it is. This is the thing with starting out - I don't really know what I'm doing but you have to start somewhere. I'm quite happy with most of the modules I've got but Warps, Doepfer A-141-2 envelope and Theta may need reviewing in the future and as you say finding other modules to do the same thing but better. HP is not a problem at least not yet and I make up temporary wooden boxes until I decide what size rack I need. I expect it might get out of control some day, but your advice on the forum has been really useful in being practical and curbing my GAS. Ornament & Crime mmm... (famous last words).

This might amuse you
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-20170113_181336.jpg  
Old 15th January 2017
Quote:
YouTube is full of Haible kraut rock phaser demos, the random source is exactly the same circuit, if you see the size of the original unit you can understand why the eurorack version is so big, he made it as small as he could using SMD whilst keeping it original

It's on my want list.

original thru-hole Haible phaser

and the neat Euro version

umm,, you got me going for a while there, looking for the euro version of shulte/haible krautrock phaser.

however, think you mixed it up with R*S/Haible Tau Phaser. the first picture is Tau in TH, and second picture you posted is Tau Eurorack SMD, from R*S site.

this design does not exist in euro or smd, as of yet. and its only sold as re-printed and fixed Haible's PCB, which is enormous, all thruhole. as he basically copied the original Gerd Shulte's Compact Phasing A pcb. also, it uses lightbulbs which take a lot of space. in coming times, if they manage to make one for euro it wont be small, or shallow that is for sure.

Last edited by clusterchord; 15th January 2017 at 09:38 PM..
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
umm,, you got me going for a while there, looking for the euro version of shulte/haible krautrock phaser.

however, think you mixed it up with R*S/Haible Tau Phaser. the first picture is Tau in TH, and second picture you posted is Tau Eurorack SMD, from R*S site.

Kraturock does not exist in euro or smd, as of yet. and its only sold as re-printed original and fixed Haible's PCB, which is enormous, all thruhole. and uses lightbulbs which take a lot of space. in coming times, f they manage to make one for euro it wont be small, or shallow that is for sure.
Ah thats my mistake , i thought the Tau phaser was the Krautrock phaser thanks for pointing that out
Old 15th January 2017
Quote:
Ah thats my mistake , i thought the Tau phaser was the Krautrock phaser thanks for pointing that out
yeah, i was all when you mentioned it ha ha.

Tau phaser originally came from ARP Quadra and has 20 stages, hence the pipe-y flanging tone. Shulte sounds belongs to classic phasers of the early 70s with 6 stages. tho jh version allows for 2 and 4 stage selection. think its much more suitable for processing strings and synths in usual jet/swirl manner than tau.

i contacted my builder (horstronic) and we will probably place it in a larger pedal enclosure. have to see if some CV control is an option.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mylar melodies posted this picture on Twitter/instagram, i commented on it myself about it being a drum rack.
It was only when i looked again later did i notice the Make Noise Switch/Mult type module.
I then went to make noise website to check it out only to find its not there...

So some new type of Make Noise Switchy Multi thingy on the horizon, interesting.

That looks like a MN blank panel that someone did a DIY switch job on. I'd be surprised if it's anything that MN will take to market
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
That looks like a MN blank panel that someone did a DIY switch job on. I'd be surprised if it's anything that MN will take to market
I think you've solved that one
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
The switched mult looks pretty much identical to the Doepfer A-182
Old 15th January 2017
Gear Addict
Sorry to keep chiming in with these utter noob questions, but after watching a bunch of great modular performance videos this weekend I've began to re-think the kind of system I'd like to build. I previously never really 'broke down' the performances/tracks I was watching and always, foolishly, assumed that one vco was the source for all the layers I was hearing, but it was being looped or something so that new layers could be added. Of course then it occurred to me that there's actually multiple sources in all these clips, some parts w/ 2-3 vco's alone. So I'm wondering... if I wanted to have a composition with a fat (lets say 2 vco) detuned bass, a nice ethereal pad sound, a main melody/sequence and then the opportunity to do some 'lead' work (or add bleeps/bloops/noises) would I need 5-6 vco's for that alone? Plus a filter, vca, envelopes, etc. for each? That's not even including drums. Oh man, this seems more daunting than I originally thought, but also exciting as I look forward to learning it all. I guess I kind of understand the purpose of all the quad modules out there- quad vca, vcf, adsr, etc.

Damn, now it'll be way harder to plan out a system than I initially thought. The original system I was planning would be good as a monosynth, but I'd definitely like to add more voices so that I can have different layers in a track. What are some good sequencers that I can have multiple 'layers' on? ER-101? Also, are there any modules that I don't need multiples of for what I'm trying to pull off? i.e. maybe a vca or mixer or effects?

Hope my post makes some sense.

Here's a few examples of what I mean (some more elaborate than others):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlm7Gw4aIQo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRqNjtqccPA&t=3475s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0we7tkr-jh4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ7hX3-KRb0
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Not everyone has a PEG. This guy doesn't. I love my Batumi though!

So I've read this post and your subsequent three or four posts. I'll respond basically to all of them in this post.

First of all, I'm going to tell you what I think you need, and that's NOT more modules. I know, that's not the Gearslutz way. Some might even call it sacrilege, especially since I'm saying it on a Sunday. But you've got plenty in your arsenal right now. What you first need is to learn what you have and how to use those things. If you've got Maths and you think it only does LFOs, you need to get to know Maths better. Go through the Maths Illustrated Patch Cheat Sheet here: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63068. Don't just go through it, patch it how they say and apply it to something. Rather, patch it, then remove part of the patch and see what that changes - essentially removing that removed what from Maths functionality. Then change the knob values to items other than the values recommended in the cheat sheet. How did that impact what Maths is doing. Turn cycle off on Maths, trigger Ch1, and then trigger Ch4 from EOR on Ch1 and take the sum, or and inverted sum values to process things. As mentioned, use CV to controll rise, fall or both.

Second, you're thinking in terms of subtractive synthesis - there's nothing wrong with that at all - until you get bored doing subtractive synthesis patches in your modular. I was in the same boat just nine months ago or so. I read Allen Strange's Electronic Music book and it really got me to think about synthesis overall much differently. I also love scouring youtube for how-to videos on modular. Mylarmelodies is fantastic at these. I'm also a stickler for reading through entire Muffs threads, doing searches here for a module that just arrived and watching a gazillion youtube videos on my new modules. I like to see how other people are using the module, oftentimes they're using it in ways I'd never think to. So then I try to mimic what they're doing with my modules. I'll often revisit these threads or videos just to refresh my memory of not using my module as my mind likes to or has gotten into the patern of using it.

Third, there's absolutely nothing wrong with looking at the popular items on modulargrid. It's one of the ways I got to know what's out there when starting. But there are a lot of things in a lot of racks that are popular on modulargrid because IMO 1) the module is hyped 2) the company that makes the module is hyped 3) the module is one of the best out there 4) the module used to be one of the best out there, but has since been surpassed by something even better. So don't just blindly assume that something based on its popularity is right for you. Look at its functions, see what other modules offer those same functions or similar, search muffs or the modular threads here for comparisons or best modules for that particular functionality. Then watch Youtube videos to try to find out what it does and how one accomplishes those tasks - does it work for you?

You said you'd like self-generating patches. Turing Machine, Wogglebug and O&C seem to be great candidates there, but since you said you've got a disting coming - it has random shift registers that can get you in the ball park as well.

Can you combine modulations? Yes. I'm not sure what exactly you're asking for - go from one modulation to another to another? If so, you could manually do so in a CV mixer, use square LFOs in a VCA that can handle CV or use a sequential switch to do so. If you want to add them together, again a CV mixer or DC capable VCA.

More alternatives to the patch you suggested? I'm assuming you're also using either a mult of your envelope or a different envelop to control opening and closing the VCA for amplitude? Try multing your audio signal and then use audio-rate modulation of the VCA or a filter and slowly add that to the original signal. Once you have your clock divider, I think you can, provided you explore how to use it - find a lot of new rhythmic possibilities. And don't discount LPGs just because they're "west coast" They provide a completely different, oftentimes musical and rhythmic possibilities other than a straight filter.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty.west View Post
Sorry to keep chiming in with these utter noob questions, but after watching a bunch of great modular performance videos this weekend I've began to re-think the kind of system I'd like to build. I previously never really 'broke down' the performances/tracks I was watching and always, foolishly, assumed that one vco was the source for all the layers I was hearing, but it was being looped or something so that new layers could be added. Of course then it occurred to me that there's actually multiple sources in all these clips, some parts w/ 2-3 vco's alone. So I'm wondering... if I wanted to have a composition with a fat (lets say 2 vco) detuned bass, a nice ethereal pad sound, a main melody/sequence and then the opportunity to do some 'lead' work (or add bleeps/bloops/noises) would I need 5-6 vco's for that alone? Plus a filter, vca, envelopes, etc. for each? That's not even including drums. Oh man, this seems more daunting than I originally thought, but also exciting as I look forward to learning it all. I guess I kind of understand the purpose of all the quad modules out there- quad vca, vcf, adsr, etc.

Damn, now it'll be way harder to plan out a system than I initially thought. The original system I was planning would be good as a monosynth, but I'd definitely like to add more voices so that I can have different layers in a track. What are some good sequencers that I can have multiple 'layers' on? ER-101? Also, are there any modules that I don't need multiples of for what I'm trying to pull off? i.e. maybe a vca or mixer or effects?

Hope my post makes some sense.

Here's a few examples of what I mean (some more elaborate than others):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlm7Gw4aIQo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRqNjtqccPA&t=3475s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0we7tkr-jh4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ7hX3-KRb0
Don't discount the fact that you can have a signal running straight with no filter and these oftentimes sound good. I also like having a signal run through a VCA with just a bit of gain to almost drone the tones, then adding VC control of the sound. But you can also add that VC control of the sound going through a filter which will change pretty significantly from the original source sound that's droning at different pitches.

So to get everything you mentioned, do you need a different VCO, filter, EG? No, not really. You'll get more flexibility if you do, but as you're just starting isn't this really putting the horse before the cart? Start with one or two and see where that takes you.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search