The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 25th September 2017
Old 25th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissugar View Post
Hi all

Just want to inform the ones interested in modular DIY that probably today will be release (on muff) the 1BIT DELAY and the MULTI DIMENSION kit.
The first one is an adaptation of classic 1bit delays from the eighties (effectron and co) to eurorack with many interesting add ons.
The second is based on several famous chorus and flanger pedals and racks from the eighties.
Both are very versatile and can be configured in many useful ways.

DISCLAIMER Although I was involved in the design/testing/manual writing of these projects (in fact in the design of all FEEDBACK modules) I have absolutelly no financial interest (I'm not making a dime). Strat1 (his user at muff) is a friend of mine and I only helped him to make FEEDBACK a reality so he is the one who should be contacted for the kits and parts.

Here are some screen captures from the build manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
A buddy (he is a very skilled tech/EE) of mine and I are thinking about starting a Eurorack company. The focus of the the first run would be effects, most likely different types of Distortion, Overdrive, and Fuzz to start but other varieties of effects and modules later. There would be more to the modules than just effects as well, part of the idea is to include some features (not ready to reveal these just yet) that Euro lovers really dig and would help set us apart. Modules would be on the cheaper side of things generally speaking, and hopefully not too fat on HP while still including CV over as much as possible.

I've gotten some advice from a few ppl who own their own module companies, large and small (Portland is good for that) so we aren't completely out of our depth here.

Not trying to pre-sell, it's still pretty conceptual. You guys think you'd be into some dedicated effect modules like that? Any ideas or features you'd like to see? I'm interested in your opinions about specifics on product details more than the business plan (so we stay basically on topic) but anything you guys think might be relevant is appreciated.
Definitively interested! If all goes well I'll pick up the new Befaco mixer and that has 3 aux lines. Also thinking of setting up a 1u subrack to connect to the main mixer. I'll need longer cables or figure out some patch panel thingy, but that would be nice to tie everything together.

I really like what people do with the ZVEX Lofi-Junkie. Anyone here has one? Is it worth the price of admission? (not cheap!)
Old 25th September 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
I really like what people do with the ZVEX Lofi-Junkie. Anyone here has one? Is it worth the price of admission? (not cheap!)
Like some have said, it's a bit like Boards of Canada in a box and I was anxious to get one in euro, but the standalone still makes more sense to me. Modulation parameters are OK-ish, but it's not like Make Noise Erbe-Verb where you take an standard effect like reverb and get it into new territory with proper modulation. (Erbe-Verb isn't even a good reverb, technically. If it were software, you'd delete it and get Adaptiverb or whatever). ---- The Lofi-Junkie is way more limited and will always sound like itself whereas a truly great module holds the ability to become something else when you provide it with a proper context (and self-patching feedback etc). --- Now, it could very well be, that I haven't dug deep enough into the Lofi-Junkie, but I've a strong suspicion there's not too many extra secret layers there. It's decent but it's not what makes euro exciting. Ma
Old 25th September 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by porphyrion View Post
Like some have said, it's a bit like Boards of Canada in a box and I was anxious to get one in euro, but the standalone still makes more sense to me. Modulation parameters are OK-ish, but it's not like Make Noise Erbe-Verb where you take an standard effect like reverb and get it into new territory with proper modulation. (Erbe-Verb isn't even a good reverb, technically. If it were software, you'd delete it and get Adaptiverb or whatever). ---- The Lofi-Junkie is way more limited and will always sound like itself whereas a truly great module holds the ability to become something else when you provide it with a proper context (and self-patching feedback etc). --- Now, it could very well be, that I haven't dug deep enough into the Lofi-Junkie, but I've a strong suspicion there's not too many extra secret layers there. It's decent but it's not what makes euro exciting. Ma
One important thing to note: The Euro version has an external input for modulation CV. So you could use, for instance, slewed S/H for it. Which makes all the difference, a sine wave LFO as a "wobble" control doesn't sound too nice, IMHO.

FWIW, I got one used and sold it. Kind of regret it, now. it really sounds cool, but my thinking at the time was that it's a bit expensive for something fairly one-trick-ponyish. but, yeah, it's a great trick. Don't know if I'll get one down the line.
Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by porphyrion View Post
As an Instant LoFi Junkie Eurorack owner I am not quite in agreement with the above review. Like the pedal you get the two circuits (ultracompressed and lofi) and the spectrum in between as you mix them (which is basically like a kind of weird chorus); you also get the TRI-SIN-SQR modulators with the speed and depth controls. Personally I don't see how the pedal version of the ILJ is a one trick pony to begin with: it features multiple very different distortion circuits and the ability to strangely mix between them. It is already far more complex than your average On/Off/Drive/Filter distortion pedal/module.

But the Euro module gives you an EXT IN for that modulation so that, as opposed to being limited to the TRI-SIN-SQR at the speeds on the tin, you can modulate it with any external shape/speed you desire. This in itself makes the Euro module a gem and far more powerful than the pedal.

Of course that's not all: you get CV control over the speed and depth as well. And the CV mix control between COMP and LOFI which can give you really weird sounding chorusing you won't get from delay based chorus effects.

I haven't personally found a cool way to use the Wet/Dry CV in; there's a pretty extreme level difference there so other than fading in from really soft to really loud that one is a bit lost on me.

It's a distortion box and, like all distortion boxes, it has its range of sounds. But unlike most distortion boxes (even in Euro) it gives you a pretty decent number of ways to control and modulate the various tricks this pony performs. It pairs nicely with clean-ish poly voices (I have mine semi-permanently attached to the 4ms SMR). And unlike the small army of diode clipper, germanium transistor and tube distortion modules the Lofi Junky can already claim to do something different and interesting even without all the cool bells and whistles (which the module does have).
Old 25th September 2017
Gear Maniac
We... we won? There’s a modular subforum!
Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by josker View Post
No kidding, wow.
Old 25th September 2017
I had the LoFiJunky module but sold it and bought the pedal. I don’t regret it but it did have quite a bit more control. I also use it mostly for my polysynths but occasionally use it with a single voice in the modular chain. In that form it would be better to have the CV features but as is the case with everything modular, there is only room for so much.
Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear

Just uploaded this little 4minutes live jam I recorded early this morning at around 2AM, I felt like sending signals out to space a ah ha hahah a haha
No sequencer this time, just LFOs and Voltages and only a few modules.

Hopeflly someone else will like it, so I won't be the only one
Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Muffslutz
Googling that lead to a very awkward fap. Would not recommend or do it again.

...oh, who am I kidding?

Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
I am looking for only 1 analog oscillator. No Braids, no Wavetables, no sampler... classic analog osc.. with as much features as possible.. sync, fm, etc..

If you could have only one analogue oscillator, what would it be??
I'm gonna be weird on this one:

Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
.. just do it already you know you want to, usually the most staunch vocal opponents of modular end up becoming it's biggest fans at some point..
He's got a point. In my youth, I used to think modular was just plain stupid. Oops!
Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
FYI modular addict stackable cables are legit. been wiggling with mine over a week and I'm quite pleased. ordered 20 of them, gonna order another 20.
Thanks for the heads up. Just grabbed a few.
Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by souljahh View Post
2 questions guys. First- where to get white cables, like in these Qu-Bit demo videos. Eurorack is enough of a mess with packed format, blinking lights, different companies/designs...cover that up with cords of rainbow colours and it get's hard to follow. Basically for me it will be modest colours, i figured. Grey, black, white...first world problems, i know lol
Mirroring what @oinkbanana said, but also the nice thing about color cables is that if you've got a lot of cables, it makes them easier to tell apart. Most of my cables are black, but that ranges from six inches to ten foot and some of those are Stackables and 1/4" to 1/8" cables. When I'm patching, I'll grab the colored cables first because at least I know what length those are without thinking about it. Rainbow is the way to go!
Old 25th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
He's got a point. In my youth, I used to think modular was just plain stupid. Oops!
4 years ago I sat in a studio/museum full of vintage keyboards laughing at the "nerds" who did that modular stuff. My ultimate dream was of course to own a Jupiter-8 and at least one 80's Oberheim poly to go with my vintage Minimoog (actually had that) like a proper slut. As I drooled over synths like that I would tell my wife- that's just crazy how expensive it is, I'll never go modular. I wasn't really a hater at all, I just didn't get it.

Now I'm sitting in a studio that feels light and airy due to the conspicuous lack of 4-tiered keyboard stands and all the associated gak that goes with owning a museum clogging up my airspace and making it hard to breathe. Now I make tons of music that I actually like to listen to and I only wish I'd come out of that closet years sooner. But that's just my own personal experience, not everyone is on the same quest.

Minds like parachutes, funny thing about regret, etc, etc...
Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm gonna be weird on this one:

I already dabbled in this field with AS Leipzig-S sequencer.

The ONE analogue challenge is mainly due to space reasons, so Oberkorn is no option
Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear

Now that we have our own forum.. what will become of this thread?
Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by josker View Post
So... we finally have a subforum! I'm in favor of letting this thread die so the rest of of the subforum can live. Anyone else?

My nipples are getting tingly just thinking of all the new threads we need!
Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So... we finally have a subforum! I'm in favor of letting this thread die so the rest of of the subforum can live. Anyone else?

My nipples are getting tingly just thinking of all the new threads we need!
Kinda sad like when you're moving out of your tiny apartment, taking one last look around at the empty rooms and thinking about all the fun times you had.

But then it's like I gotta whole house to move my crap into now!
Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Kinda sad like when you're moving out of your tiny apartment, taking one last look around at the empty rooms and thinking about all the fun times you had.

But then it's like I gotta whole house to move my crap into now!
Perfect description. Bye bye beloved hut, hello mansion!!
Old 26th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Now that we have our own forum.. what will become of this thread?
I think we should wind Reptil up by continuing to post only in this thread.
Old 26th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post

We fought like hell for this subforum, and I'll be damned if that gets negated by continuing to post in this thread!
Old 26th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll be damned if that gets negated by continuing to post in this thread!
Ah, dammit!
Old 27th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I absolutely love this idea.
Old 27th September 2017
Quote:
The Modular Thread 2017-21765095_10203428256184380_8705520813793456399_n.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-21765095_10203428256184380_8705520813793456399_n.jpg  
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear

What's your favourite drum module? I am a bit more interested in this to see what you like but I might be tempted to try one, as I'm happy doing drums in Ableton or using the Nord drum works well with BSP.
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear

I just had a look at the other 'subforums' you've set up. While I think that's a good idea, I think you need to think about the categories more carefully. Is 'New Purchases' a showcase just for for you Derp?, as I don't think people purchase that regularly. Indeed your GAS is infectious but that's not such a good thing. I think there should be a forum for relatively new enthusiasts like me, just a year in to help people use their modules effectively and not GAS for the sake of it. I've bought quite a lot and recently sold 5 modules on as I realised I have enough; people need to know how to use what they've got or purchase the right modules. The other thing is that while before I joined I was used to going to and posting in different sub forums for particular subjects, I've enjoyed the open discussion around all subjects, including the GASing.
Old 29th September 2017
You are not forced to post in Derp's threads.
As a for example, you could have started a thread in the modular forum: 'Favourite Drum Modules'
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
You are not forced to post in Derp's threads.
As a for example, you could have started a thread in the modular forum: 'Favourite Drum Modules'
That's amusing The reason I first came was because Derp (I think? Well someone anyway) said I should join this forum instead posting outside. That's a 360 turnaround.

So are we to stay here or disperse into separate rooms? I did like the analogy of moving from a cosy and familiar apartment to a mansion full of rooms.
Old 29th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
That's amusing The reason I first came was because Derp (I think? Well someone anyway) said I should join this forum instead posting outside. That's a 360 turnaround.

So are we to stay here or disperse into separate rooms? I did like the analogy of moving from a cosy and familiar apartment to a mansion full of rooms.
Yeah but there's really no walls between the rooms, it's just a much bigger spread with high ceilings and real hardwoods.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search