The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 22nd September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
I am looking for only 1 analog oscillator. No Braids, no Wavetables, no sampler... classic analog osc.. with as much features as possible.. sync, fm, etc..
WMD Spectrum
Old 22nd September 2017
Gear Addict

Did an overview of building the Mystic Circuits 0hp Modules for my little modular blog.
They're fun little things for a first time DIY and some sweet little utilities for eurorack folks:
Mystic Circuits 0hp Builds – Moonlit Journey

Old 22nd September 2017
Lives for gear

FYI modular addict stackable cables are legit. been wiggling with mine over a week and I'm quite pleased. ordered 20 of them, gonna order another 20.
Old 22nd September 2017
Lives for gear
2 questions guys. First- where to get white cables, like in these Qu-Bit demo videos. Eurorack is enough of a mess with packed format, blinking lights, different companies/designs...cover that up with cords of rainbow colours and it get's hard to follow. Basically for me it will be modest colours, i figured. Grey, black, white...first world problems, i know lol

Secondly, i had a pleasure of fooling around with my mates TT-78 Beat Bot. I really dug the sequencer. As i have mainly percussive modular, i thought it would be almost perfect to have this kind of sequencer. Doing some cool flams, accents, roll, step seq/different time domains(triplets etc) and send those commands to eurorack. It doesn't have to be in eurorack eg. does the BStepPro do these things with ease? Take care guys! Modular FTW!
Old 22nd September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by souljahh View Post
.cover that up with cords of rainbow colours and it get's hard to follow.
I find color coding signal chains makes things easier to follow - but it all depends on the size and use of your rig.

modular addict has white cables
white, black, grey
https://modularaddict.com/parts/cabl...tch-cables-646
Old 22nd September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
2 questions guys. First- where to get white cables, like in these Qu-Bit demo videos. Eurorack is enough of a mess with packed format, blinking lights, different companies/designs...cover that up with cords of rainbow colours and it get's hard to follow. Basically for me it will be modest colours, i figured. Grey, black, white...first world problems, i know lol

Secondly, i had a pleasure of fooling around with my mates TT-78 Beat Bot. I really dug the sequencer. As i have mainly percussive modular, i thought it would be almost perfect to have this kind of sequencer. Doing some cool flams, accents, roll, step seq/different time domains(triplets etc) and send those commands to eurorack. It doesn't have to be in eurorack eg. does the BStepPro do these things with ease? Take care guys! Modular FTW!
Control makes cables in black grey and white. They are high quality and easy to get around on tight panels because of the narrow barrel.
https://www.ctrl-mod.com/collections...nt=16599211589

I'd def give the BSP a .
Old 23rd September 2017
Lives for gear

Got my Ornament & Crime a couple days ago, finally getting a chance to explore it a bit: https://instagram.com/p/BZXs0oeHb2N/
Old 23rd September 2017
SRT
Lives for gear
So I have been getting acquainted with my new Intellijel Atlantis for the past month or so....and I think it maybe the best Eurorack purchase I have made to date. I had been eyeing it ever since it was released, but only picked it up because of rising GAS from the Roland/Behringer SH01 reissues. I was never happy with the idea of all-in-one modules ever since I got the Mother32 with its limited hp/usefulness ratio. But this unit is just too good not to use on a regular basis.

The internal gain staging is perfection, envelope is fantastic, multiple methods of drive, smart implementation of the modulation oscillator for stacking or modulation, fair number of CV routing options (internal or external), some FM abilities..it pretty much has it all within the subtractive analog realm and you can always patch in whatever is missing. But most important...it simply sounds good.

It is often compared to the SH01, but after spending some time with this I can comfortably say for my own purposes...**** the SH101. This unit stands on its own and IMO is superior.

I pair it with a Dixie II+ and Doepfer A147-2 VCDLFO to maximize modulation/oscillator stacking and am able to do bass, leads, pads that require minimal processing. If I want to vary the tone the direct outs make it easy to send everything to a mixer and external filter. It's so quick to dial in a tone and get **** done (instead of endless patching or knob/eq tweaking).

In fact it can sound so organic and is so easy to work with that I find that I am ranking it along side a Perfourmer and Voyager in regards to studio value.

Anyways, if you haven't picked one of these up, you probably should!

If nothing else it may make you feel better if you missed out on an E370...the Atlantis will certainly keep me busy until I pickup an E352.

Last edited by SRT; 23rd September 2017 at 07:13 AM..
Old 23rd September 2017
Lives for gear

With Muff Wiggler down, I'd like to make another plea to the mods for a modular subforum. While I'm assuming Muffs will return, I've got a lot more confidence in GS remaining for some time, and it would be a huge asset to the synth/modular community to have an individual subforum for discussion and archiving of information. And frankly, if iOS (which I also use for music, so I'm not hating here) can justify having an entire forum on GS, surely modular can justify having a subforum within the Electronic Music/Instrument forum.

Pretty please, with sugar on top? It's time.
Old 23rd September 2017
Lives for gear

For those only reading this thread from favourites and not the whole forum.. please click yes in this poll

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...l#post12864920

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
With Muff Wiggler down, I'd like to make another plea to the mods for a modular subforum. While I'm assuming Muffs will return, I've got a lot more confidence in GS remaining for some time, and it would be a huge asset to the synth/modular community to have an individual subforum for discussion and archiving of information. And frankly, if iOS (which I also use for music, so I'm not hating here) can justify having an entire forum on GS, surely modular can justify having a subforum within the Electronic Music/Instrument forum.

Old 23rd September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:

Why is it down, anyone have a clue? I am not doing too well without my daily Muff diving....
Old 23rd September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn n Frayed View Post
Why is it down, anyone have a clue? I am not doing too well without my daily Muff diving....
So.......Rocket Man thought muffwiggler was Donald's favorite p*rnsite....
Old 23rd September 2017
Quote:
For those only reading this thread from favourites and not the whole forum.. please click yes in this poll

Voted. Please anyone looking at this go do it now!
Old 23rd September 2017
Old 23rd September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
So I have been getting acquainted with my new Intellijel Atlantis for the past month or so....and I think it maybe the best Eurorack purchase I have made to date. I had been eyeing it ever since it was released, but only picked it up because of rising GAS from the Roland/Behringer SH01 reissues. I was never happy with the idea of all-in-one modules ever since I got the Mother32 with its limited hp/usefulness ratio. But this unit is just too good not to use on a regular basis.

The internal gain staging is perfection, envelope is fantastic, multiple methods of drive, smart implementation of the modulation oscillator for stacking or modulation, fair number of CV routing options (internal or external), some FM abilities..it pretty much has it all within the subtractive analog realm and you can always patch in whatever is missing. But most important...it simply sounds good.

It is often compared to the SH01, but after spending some time with this I can comfortably say for my own purposes...**** the SH101. This unit stands on its own and IMO is superior.

I pair it with a Dixie II+ and Doepfer A147-2 VCDLFO to maximize modulation/oscillator stacking and am able to do bass, leads, pads that require minimal processing. If I want to vary the tone the direct outs make it easy to send everything to a mixer and external filter. It's so quick to dial in a tone and get **** done (instead of endless patching or knob/eq tweaking).

In fact it can sound so organic and is so easy to work with that I find that I am ranking it along side a Perfourmer and Voyager in regards to studio value.

If nothing else it may make you feel better if you missed out on an E370...the Atlantis will certainly keep me busy until I pickup an E352.
Long live the Atlantis! Will never replace my Sh101 though. Comes to the grave with me.
Old 23rd September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Got my Ornament & Crime a couple days ago, finally getting a chance to explore it a bit: https://instagram.com/p/BZXs0oeHb2N/
Most interesting, haven't seen O&C in EU shops. Is it diy project only? For a brief explanation, what does the OC do do the Pyramid triggers, something that Pyramid isn't able to do? Bless!
Old 23rd September 2017
Quote:

< Yes, absolutely! I'll relay that message!

it's been down for over a week. Muffwiggler.com - Is Muffwiggler Down Right Now?

After requests, I've opened up a (temporary) product support page:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...l#post12865090 >
Old 23rd September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post

< Yes, absolutely! I'll relay that message!

it's been down for over a week. Muffwiggler.com - Is Muffwiggler Down Right Now?

After requests, I've opened up a (temporary) product support page:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...l#post12865090 >
I could get on it as recently as Wednesday this week, just been down the past 2 or 3 days for me.
Old 23rd September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Most interesting, haven't seen O&C in EU shops. Is it diy project only? For a brief explanation, what does the OC do do the Pyramid triggers, something that Pyramid isn't able to do? Bless!
Yes O&C is a diy project. It's does a myriad of things!

ornament & crime
Old 23rd September 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post

Any clips? Waiting for an Atlantis
Old 24th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Long live the Atlantis! Will never replace my Sh101 though. Comes to the grave with me.
Same here. After numerous attempts to recreate a SH-101 in Eurorack, I gave up and bought one.
Old 24th September 2017
rlg
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I just voted yes. Muffs is _still_ down, for several days now, and I can't stand it anymore. I need someplace to discuss my recent modular addiction, and GS has been great and stable for a long time.
Old 24th September 2017
sold the MCV24 after years of loyal service bought this instead last week:

https://tubbutec.de/%C2%B5tune/
and a MFOS Wave Freaker

Last edited by Reptil; 24th September 2017 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: smaller picture
Old 24th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn n Frayed View Post
Yes O&C is a diy project. It's does a myriad of things!

ornament & crime
Why oh why i just learned about this and Temps Utile right now when the MW forum is down. Every google search ends up there with tasty headers. Just killing me
Old 24th September 2017
Lives for gear

I picked up a Rebel Technology Tonic over the weekend ... I'm just a sucker for new ways of doing melodic sequencing. That said, it's one of those modules that are sort of half-baked in terms of execution. Good gate sequencers are few and far between in Euro. Probably the only thing in my rack that I could get it to work with without help would be the Pamela's, but I don't want to waste four or five output on it. If you throw triggers at it, which I have a tons of trigger generation in the rack, it's just ping the interval than drop back down to the root; just not very usable. Now if you use a sample and hold, then it starts to come together. Grids, plus a S/H, with a quantizer at the end, starts producing some great patterns. Rebel Tech would have had a much better product on their hands if they'd just added a S/H circuit to the Tonic. Hell, even make it switchable.

In other news, after a month, I'm still not into Plonk. I'll have to see if I can focus on trying to learn better over the next week, but it's the first module that I'm just tempted sell. I just can't justify $300 for a single drum voice.
Old 24th September 2017
Lives for gear

In other news, I'm looking for another, good, pingable filter or maybe an LPG. I've already got a WMD MMF, but I'm looking for something with a little more control. I've tried the LxD, but that was too "west coast" in tone and too quick for my taste. Streams in the LPG mode is sort of the sound I'm looking for, but Streams has no real CV control. Any ideas?
Old 24th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's a DIY project, but I found a seller on Reverb who builds inexpensive complete ones and gives a percentage back to th developers. Here I'm running four Turing machines receiving triggers from four tracks on the Pyramid in Euclidean mode.
Old 24th September 2017
BMD
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
A buddy (he is a very skilled tech/EE) of mine and I are thinking about starting a Eurorack company. The focus of the the first run would be effects, most likely different types of Distortion, Overdrive, and Fuzz to start but other varieties of effects and modules later. There would be more to the modules than just effects as well, part of the idea is to include some features (not ready to reveal these just yet) that Euro lovers really dig and would help set us apart. Modules would be on the cheaper side of things generally speaking, and hopefully not too fat on HP while still including CV over as much as possible.

I've gotten some advice from a few ppl who own their own module companies, large and small (Portland is good for that) so we aren't completely out of our depth here.

Not trying to pre-sell, it's still pretty conceptual. You guys think you'd be into some dedicated effect modules like that? Any ideas or features you'd like to see? I'm interested in your opinions about specifics on product details more than the business plan (so we stay basically on topic) but anything you guys think might be relevant is appreciated.
CV control for everything is important for me when it comes to fx. Attenuverters or attenuators for all CV inputs is always massive bonus too. Good luck!
Old 24th September 2017
Lives for gear

@souljahh
there's plenty of builders that will build O&C for you. I got a guy in Berlin to build my last one.
there's builders that post on muffwigglers, but since it's down I paid €235.00 EUR (with shipping) for mine by a [email protected]

@void23
RYO Aperture filter "Klang" ping test with 5ms trigger and LFO:
https://soundcloud.com/brandon-logic...lang-ping-test

It's very west coast....
I'm confused by what you're looking for. most pingable lpg are west coast sounding...
Old 25th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMD View Post
CV control for everything is important for me when it comes to fx. Attenuverters or attenuators for all CV inputs is always massive bonus too. Good luck!
Thanks man. It's becoming a reality slowly and quickly at the same time. We just got the parts in for the first prototypes, and I'm learning KiCad right now to design the pcb's. So there's a ton of work to do with barely any investment yet just to get started.

Plans are to have CV control and attenuverters on every control, along with some other stuff I'm not at liberty to mention just yet...
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search