The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissugar View Post
KIT1 is PCBs plus front panel
KIT2 includes KIT1 plus hard to find semiconductors
KIT3 includes KIT2 plus all the hardware.
that makes 100% sense.
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
I am looking for only 1 analog oscillator. No Braids, no Wavetables, no sampler... classic analog osc.. with as much features as possible.. sync, fm, etc..

If you could have only one analogue oscillator, what would it be??
intellijel dixie 2+
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
livewire AFG, subconcious m52, make noise DPO, Serge NTO. take your pick
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
livewire AFG, subconcious m52, make noise DPO, Serge NTO. take your pick
But but the q was, what would be your pick
Old 18th September 2017
Quote:
I am looking for only 1 analog oscillator. No Braids, no Wavetables, no sampler... classic analog osc.. with as much features as possible.. sync, fm, etc..

I do only have one. Pretty sure it meets all your requirements too.

Can highly recommend. Super stable, easy tuning built in. Bowel-movement-inducing lows, ear-piercing highs. Highest quality components I have ever seen too, the 10-turn knobs are just butter to turn. No plans for more analog in my case, but If I did they would be AJH all the way, or Macbeth which are unobtanium afaik.
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
But but the q was, what would be your pick
subcon vampire (but I have a m15/m37pair)
Old 19th September 2017
Gear Guru

just one oscillator..?? I'd have to choose a complete voice and why not when you get so much more for not much more cost..

Atlantis
Tonestar
Elements
Old 19th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
just one oscillator..?? I'd have to choose a complete voice and why not when you get so much more for not much more cost..

Atlantis
Tonestar
Elements
Yes full voices are good fun. You should consider them, of course based on the rest of your setup. I like the Tonestar 2600, the Double Helix Oscillator... fun to play with and you can use individual parts, you don't have to use them as self contained devices. (I do not own the Atlantis but I think fiddlestickz does)

Single oscillators? Depends on the sound you are after but Dixie 2+, AJH Oscillator... are a good starting point to start comparing against other offerings
Old 19th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Single classic analog oscillator? AFG. So much features. Great sounding. If the AFG were too large (understandable) I'd probably consider the WMD Spectrum and the AJH Minimod and weigh the features versus the sound.

If I were considering dual VCO modules then the Analogue Solutions Cranial Saw (it's branded Medic Modules but it's AS) is my personal favorite VCO. It's a bit large but the sliders are great for playability. The biggest limitation is that it only offers SQR and SAW waveforms. But the on board GLIDE and SYNC with the modulation points more than make up for what it doesn't have for me.

If FM were my primary interest then probably the Intellijel Rubicon. Fairly full featured analog VCO with unique FM features.
Old 19th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

z3000mk2 and dixie2 are very good choices imho. When i had to pick one it was the z3000 which made it to my rack. I like how it sounds under pwm better than the dixie 2 and it sounds a lot roland to me. Dixie 2 is a keeper as well however.

Then on the more expensive side there is NTO, vco6, furtherrr generator. I tried none but my pick would be the NTO.
Old 19th September 2017
The Roland one is nice, but dual.
I would go with AJH for classic oscillator.

I've had z3000 and VCO6 and prefer something more classic.
Old 19th September 2017
Lives for gear

If I fed a stereo source into a pair of Wasp filters (or a pair of JP8s, etc) and I want to have the filter cutoff of both open up in sync and, let's say, go from 0% to 100% over exactly 64beats (or 32, 16, etc) at, say, 120bpm, with an event to kick off the modulation (so that, for example, it only happens over the song's 64beat Chorus each time it occurs in the track), and have control over the slope of the opening (linear, exponential, in between), and simultaneously have separate control over the resonance of each filter so that they also modulate at different, timed, rates, but with specific ranges, say, the left side modulating on a 16th note pattern of random values between 60-80% resonance, and the right side on 32nd note triplets between 50-60% resonance.

This is just a made up example, but - humor me - how would you accomplish the above?
Old 19th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
If I fed a stereo source into a pair of Wasp filters (or a pair of JP8s, etc) and I want to have the filter cutoff of both open up in sync and, let's say, go from 0% to 100% over exactly 64beats (or 32, 16, etc) at, say, 120bpm, with an event to kick off the modulation (so that, for example, it only happens over the song's 64beat Chorus each time it occurs in the track), and have control over the slope of the opening (linear, exponential, in between), and simultaneously have separate control over the resonance of each filter so that they also modulate at different, timed, rates, but with specific ranges, say, the left side modulating on a 16th note pattern of random values between 60-80% resonance, and the right side on 32nd note triplets between 50-60% resonance.

This is just a made up example, but - humor me - how would you accomplish the above?
You could get most of the way there with the 4MS PEG. It will only divide the incoming clock by 8 so if you want a sweep over 64 clocks you would need a clock divider like the Deopfer A160 to get your tempo divided down before it hits the PEG. If you want the CV in sync you'd just use a mult to output one PEG channel to two filters or you could go left side right side and do divisions of each other (like how ping-pong delays work).

Old 19th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'd use a saw wave LFO from a new PAM. I'd dial in the 64 beats of 120bpm as 32 beats of 60bpm [since the max multiplier is x48]
double that out 1 & 2. for out 3 dial in your 16th note lfo, for out 4 dial in a 32th note lfo (wave shape, & skew & depth to taste)

as for the 'event to kick off the modulation', you can trigger the start/stop on the pam with a sequencer.

The same could generally be done with fourmulator, octocontroller and O&C and an external clock. Check the specks to see if they'll go slow enough (x64, 16 measure, loop), or use clock dividers and slow down the clock to 15bpm and do 8 beats.
Old 19th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'd probably prefer a VC switch to trigger my LFOs and events and what not (via a sequencer). That's not something I have so to keep the modulations only when I wanted them in time I'd probably have to envelope or LFO a VCO with the control signals and send gates when I want those modulations running. Not a very elegant solution (I really need a switch or two). Likewise it might be easier in my specific case to make a few sequences, some with and some without the modulations, so I can trigger program changes between them and switch them on and off that way.

For the cutoff modulation I would get my sync'd LFO (probably from Sequencer One but maybe from Octocontroller), scale/offset it where I want it to modulate, send that to a mult. Two lines out of the mult, one to CUTOFF CV IN on the first filter, one to CUTOFF CV IN on the second. Now we have simultaneous control of the cutoffs (the same can be accomplished via wiggling if you just mult a common knob's output).

And for the independent modulations it's just a matter of setting up and routing the specific LFO patterns to their destinations (either the Seq One or the Octocontroller has enough modulations left to accmoplish two more).
Old 19th September 2017
Colin Benders is streaming live right now on youtube and killing it. If you haven't checked one of these out now is the time!
Old 19th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
just one oscillator..?? I'd have to choose a complete voice and why not
Looking for one additional Osc in an otherwise set system. There is no room for a voice in this rack. Space at a premium. Hence the Dixie2+ is very appealing, as well as the Z3k.

Atlantis and Tonestar 2600 are planned purchases for another place tho.

Thanks all for the great advice
Old 19th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Colin Benders is streaming live right now on youtube and killing it. If you haven't checked one of these out now is the time!
Looks like he just got an ER-301.
Old 20th September 2017
Lives for gear

morphagene fun:
put a fast envelope on the output and patch that envelope ino the varispeed so loud things slow down the playback.

or make the gene narrow small and scan through the sample with a slow rising sloped saw lfo, changing that scanning will act like a speed up/slow down without affecting the pitch.
and of course use the output envelope to fiddle with that speed.

do both but balance the scanning speed to the vaispeed for pitch shifting without time stretching... love me some weird pitch shifting...

the sample manipulation possibilities with the morphagene are completely fantastic.

Last edited by oinkbanana; 20th September 2017 at 12:40 AM..
Old 20th September 2017
Lives for gear

^ Thanks for the ideas. Before asking I had figured the answer was probably something like an O&C plus a Mult, but I don't own one and wasn't sure. I had forgotten about the PEG, that thing is great, and I didn't realize Pam's could do all that, too, and I needed the refresher on clock dividers. It's very interesting to see the different approaches each person described.
Old 20th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
^ Thanks for the ideas. Before asking I had figured the answer was probably something like an O&C plus a Mult, but I don't own one and wasn't sure. I had forgotten about the PEG, that thing is great, and I didn't realize Pam's could do all that, too, and I needed the refresher on clock dividers. It's very interesting to see the different approaches each person described.
The Disting does clock sync’d envelopes also.
Old 20th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Looks like he just got an ER-301.
I'm a huge fan of his videos, so remembered reading about it in the description of this video...not to be a correcty-glasses pusher upper, but it looks like he actually got it in January.
Old 20th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I do only have one. Pretty sure it meets all your requirements too.
That visual design just convinced me to finally go modular.

Psyke, I'll just get a t-shirt.

...and hope it doesn't inspire random strangers to approach me on the street looking to chat about modular gear.
Old 21st September 2017
Gear Guru

.. just do it already you know you want to, usually the most staunch vocal opponents of modular end up becoming it's biggest fans at some point..
Old 21st September 2017
Continuing on with the ER-301 sightings...

Lightbath's channel is pure gold by the way.
Old 21st September 2017
This guy's system is quite unique.
Old 22nd September 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
This guy's system is quite unique.
Hainbach's channel is pure gold too
Old 22nd September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo. View Post
Hainbach's channel is pure gold too
Yeah I subbed him. There's so much good stuff out there once you take the time to look. My feed is getting good lately, almost too much to watch it all.
Old 22nd September 2017
Gear Addict

Is the MW page not coming up for anyone else? Been this way for more than a day and I am jonesing, BAD....
Old 22nd September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn n Frayed View Post
Is the MW page not coming up for anyone else? Been this way for more than a day and I am jonesing, BAD....
Yes same here
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search