The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 16th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
This is one of the things I was busy on during the past week.
A full review of the Winter Modular Eloquencer

Guys you are Eurorackers! Please let me know what you think and by the way, if you wanted to know more about the Eloquencer, in this review I cover all its features so you can get a good idea of what it can do

The video is long (may release it in separate shorter parts as well) but there is a Clickable Index in the Youtube video description below the video

Video Index
00:00 Introduction
00:35 Visual Appeal
01:36 Layout - Interface
05:09 Multifunctional Buttons
08:34 Song Structure
09:40 Song Building
14:47 Pattern & Tracks (Copy, Paste, Duplicate, Clear...)
19:20 Create & Edit Tracks (CV, Gate, Ratchet, Probability...)
30:56 Tempo: (Int/Ext Clock, Master Track)
38:15 Shuffle - Scale/Modes
40:27 Step Modes (Forward, Pendulum, Random, etc...)
43:28 Track Shift
44:22 Track Length per Track
46:06 Random
49:24 Fill
50:24 Live Rec: Free Play Mode
52:46 Live Rec: CV Key Rec
53:51 Live Rec: Gate Rec (e.g. drum pads)
54:36 Mute (LFO and MOD mode not yet present)
55:15 AUX (options for Gate and Reset)
56:53 Freeze / Revert
58:45 CV Inputs 1 & 2 - CV Assign (Options Menu)
01:09:09 Voltage Output Test-Measurements
01:13:05 Conclusion - Opinion

Keep an eye on the channel, I will have some follow up video, soon, on the Eloquencer, e.g. new features from the new firmware ASAP. And of course other modules reviews and demos.

Thank you in advance if you do honour me with a subscription to the channel

Feedback very welcome
Looks thorough. Can't wait to watch. I'll sub later when I'm by a comp.
Old 16th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:

Guys you are Eurorackers! Please let me know what you think and by the way, if you wanted to know more about the Eloquencer, in this review I cover all its features so you can get a good idea of what it can do

The video is long (may release it in separate shorter parts as well) but there is a Clickable Index in the Youtube video description below the video

Video Index

Keep an eye on the channel, I will have some follow up video, soon, on the Eloquencer, e.g. new features from the new firmware ASAP. And of course other modules reviews and demos.

Feedback very welcome
Well done sir!
Your video makes me want to rethink my plans
Going for a small case, but this begs for more oscillators and drums than I have atm.....
.... Oh and a sub off course!!!
Old 16th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT75 View Post
with my 'nickname' Orange Wiggler btw....
Old 16th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
with my 'nickname' Orange Wiggler btw....
Oh that's you cool! Thanks ah a ah
Old 16th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well done sir!
Your video makes me want to rethink my plans
Going for a small case, but this begs for more oscillators and drums than I have atm.....
Either that or..., depending on the rest of your setup, you could see the Eloquencer as an 8 channel Gate and CV brain. Even if you do not have a lot of drum and vco voices, you still need gates and CVs to drive your system.

Could use sequenced gates to trigger external LFOs (or whenever added to the Eloquencer, output LFOs from the Eloquencer)

Could use CVs as sequenced voltage values for any cv controllable parameter on other modules like cut off frequency on Filters for example, or cv controlled pan on mixers... I have not tried this yet but I would think it should work.

But yes it is 38HP so you would need to make sure that for the space and the price it works well for your needs.
You would need to compare it against a bunch of separate modules like a
- multi voice trigger sequencer
- smaller cv sequencer
- cv recorder
- random cv generator
etc...
Old 17th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Video Index

Feedback very welcome
Thanks for this. Very interested in watching it. Since you asked for feedback...

I stopped watching after 6 minutes. Reason was the music. It serves no purpose and starts wrecking nerves after 3 minutes. Its not that i wouldnt like it, but its too loud and too repetitive.

I guess i will watch it in parts, step by step later.
Old 17th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Thanks for this. Very interested in watching it. Since you asked for feedback...

I stopped watching after 6 minutes. Reason was the music. It serves no purpose and starts wrecking nerves after 3 minutes. Its not that i wouldnt like it, but its too loud and too repetitive.

I'll have to agree. The music is mixed too loudly and it starts grating on the nerves a few minutes in. Very descriptive and thorough video and otherwise great job.
Old 17th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post

yes, as I was talking I automatically, mentally, blocked out the music and I should have fixed it in post-production. In most of the other section should be better because I, of course, interact with the Eloquencer to do stuff therefore there is less constant pattern playing and I think the music volume was lowered a bit as well...

Thank you for the feedback, I will surely remember this for the next videos
Old 17th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
My beard isn't righteous enough nor my jeans skinny enough for Fluff Jigglers.

I've read plenty over there, but never bother to contribute.
Funny. I seem to see a lot more people diss Muff's on Gearslutz then I see people dissing Gearslutz on Muff's.
Old 17th September 2017
I find it's pretty equal both ways.
The subject of Gearslutz doesn't really come up on Muffs in fact. When it does it's usually a negative critique.
Personally, both places have their faults, but I slightly prefer the wider demographic and higher professional presence at Gearslutz.
Old 17th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
Funny. I seem to see a lot more people diss Muff's on Gearslutz then I see people dissing Gearslutz on Muff's.
For my part I'm not disrespecting the site or the people. It's one of the most valuable resources in existence for wigglers no doubt.
My experience there just hasn't been as favorable as here in a few ways. It's hard to explain too. I think that I personally just don't fit in there because I don't already get all the inside jokes that started way before my time. This causes me personally to feel like an outsider since asking would out me as one and I don't have time to delve into the archives to decipher all the riddles. I read/use muffs literally every day, but I feel more comfortable asking questions here.
Old 17th September 2017
Don't worry - I joined there years ago and still feel like an outsider.
Funny thing is, people get judged as 'newbies', while at the same time modular has been around for decades and i bought my first system in 1995, when most of the Muff crowd were still in diapers.
Old 17th September 2017
Lives for gear

is there room for a 3rd forum Gearwiggler or Muffslutz perhaps ???????????
Old 17th September 2017
More fun stuff-
Old 17th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
I cidnt want to direspect the place with my comment. Many likeminded people there. However its specialized on modular, so people often talk on a higher level of expertise than i can muster. Hence i am feeling not so home. May be in a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Muffslutz sounds kinky
Old 17th September 2017
Deleted b6e9904
Hi gearslutz, long time lurker, first time poster here.

A few months ago I bought a Roland MC-202, with the analogue solutions modular upgrade mod installed on/in it.

I've been having a lot of fun patching it to itself, and also using the cv output of channel 2 to make cool stepping filter effects and the like. But I'm thinking now I'd like to build a small Eurorack system to augment it further.

This is what you get with the mod:

CV Out for the LFO
Cv in for pitch,gate, filter cutoff, pwm, mod, accent, portmento and vca
Audio out for each of the waveforms, mix and the vca
Audio in to the filter and vca

So about 20 patch points in total.

I really like the looks the intelijel metropolis for starters. As much as I do enjoy using the built in sequencer of the 202, it's not very good for live, spontaneous performance kinda stuff. I'm pretty sold on this. I could then just use the 202's keys to transpose the metropolis using the CV output on channel 2 (in theory? I'm not fully clued up on this stuff so tell me if I'm wrong).

I could also perhaps do with a more flexible LFO, as the 202's own is quite basic. And perhaps another filter, one with hi and/or band pass modes.

And... I dunno what else!?

Here's where you guys come in, what handful of modules would you use to augment/compliment the MC-202 with this particular upgrade mod? I wanna make it into the MC202+ mk.II, if you will.

I make techno/electro/acid kinda music mostly.

Many thanks!
Old 17th September 2017
Isn't Metropolis going to be in the same sonic ballpark as the MC202?

I would add another (ballsier) oscillator, perhaps a completely different filter (Aperture?), possibly some kind of distortion module, a modular fx (like Pico DSP?).
I'm not sure about an alternative sequencer.
Old 17th September 2017
Deleted b6e9904
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
True, very similar in end sound - which is a sound I love, but much quicker to get there, especially when under the pressure of performing a 2 hour set in front of people. The 202 sequencer, as deep, expressive and well ahead of its time as it is, is virtually useless live, as it is, due to having to stop everything to edit it, and it not having any memory.

Quote:
I would add another (ballsier) oscillator, perhaps a completely different filter (Aperture?), possibly some kind of distortion module, a modular fx (like Pico DSP?).
Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 17th September 2017
I think people often like the Turing Machine sequencer, as it throws up random sequences in infinite numbers - which can be quite inspiring for a live set.
At the other end of the scale is the TINS Tuesday sequencer, which throws up more logical sequences, based on the simple settings you input. Both seem very quick to use.
Old 17th September 2017
Deleted b6e9904
I think I'd prefer the full control offered by the metro, rather than the 'turn the knobs and hope for the best' approach (apparently) offered by those.

Maybe it might be interesting though. I dunno. I'll look at some demos.

Cheers matey.
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I can't imagine what comes up when you would google Muff Sluts...
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Metropolis is the sequencer.. Atlantis is the oscillator (which, yes, is somewhat based on the 101/202).

I'll second Chris' recommendations.. another oscillator (maybe something totally different.. wavetable? digital?) Maybe something for modulation.. maths, batumi?

Fair warning.. it's like crack.
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear

Hi all

Just want to inform the ones interested in modular DIY that probably today will be release (on muff) the 1BIT DELAY and the MULTI DIMENSION kit.
The first one is an adaptation of classic 1bit delays from the eighties (effectron and co) to eurorack with many interesting add ons.
The second is based on several famous chorus and flanger pedals and racks from the eighties.
Both are very versatile and can be configured in many useful ways.

DISCLAIMER Although I was involved in the design/testing/manual writing of these projects (in fact in the design of all FEEDBACK modules) I have absolutelly no financial interest (I'm not making a dime). Strat1 (his user at muff) is a friend of mine and I only helped him to make FEEDBACK a reality so he is the one who should be contacted for the kits and parts.

Here are some screen captures from the build manuals
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-1bit-delay.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-multi-dimension.jpg  
Old 18th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Metropolis is the sequencer.. Atlantis is the oscillator (which, yes, is somewhat based on the 101/202).
Yes, sorry. I don't follow Intellijel so got confused.
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissugar View Post
Hi all

Just want to inform the ones interested in modular DIY that probably today will be release (on muff) the 1BIT DELAY and the MULTI DIMENSION kit.
They do look nice!
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi all

The first one is an adaptation of classic 1bit delays from the eighties (effectron and co) to eurorack with many interesting add ons.
The second is based on several famous chorus and flanger pedals and racks from the eighties.
Both are very versatile and can be configured in many useful ways.

DISCLAIMER Although I was involved in the design/testing/manual writing of these projects (in fact in the design of all FEEDBACK modules) I have absolutelly no financial interest (I'm not making a dime). Strat1 (his user at muff) is a friend of mine and I only helped him to make FEEDBACK a reality so he is the one who should be contacted for the kits and parts.

WOW!

why is the kits more expensive than the built modules?
multidimention, €150 for the module vs kit1 + kit2 + kit3, €30+€52+€80=€162
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think people often like the Turing Machine sequencer, as it throws up random sequences in infinite numbers - which can be quite inspiring for a live set.
At the other end of the scale is the TINS Tuesday sequencer, which throws up more logical sequences, based on the simple settings you input. Both seem very quick to use.
I really like the TINRS Tuesday ... The output options are so extremely well thought out that you don't just have to use it with a single voice. I can take the note out and through different gates behind it, not use the note out but use the velocity and gate outs for a repeating pattern, and even throw the accent out into the BIA for more rhythmic glue.

The Turing Machine is much more of a complete chaos sequencer. You can also use a Pamela's or Octocontroller as a Turning Machine like sequencer using a clocked sample and hold with an attenuator and a quantizer.
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
WOW!

why is the kits more expensive than the built modules?
multidimention, €150 for the module vs kit1 + kit2 + kit3, €30+€52+€80=€162
I had to check the announcements at Muff and if you look you will see that:
KIT1 is PCBs plus front panel
KIT2 includes KIT1 plus hard to find semiconductors
KIT3 includes KIT2 plus all the hardware.

So the most expensive kit which includes almost everything is 80eu for the MULTI DIMENSION and 105eu for the 1BIT DELAY.
Hope this clarifies
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had to check the announcements at Muff and if you look you will see that:
KIT1 is PCBs plus front panel
KIT2 includes KIT1 plus hard to find semiconductors
KIT3 includes KIT2 plus all the hardware.

So the most expensive kit which includes almost everything is 80eu for the MULTI DIMENSION and 105eu for the 1BIT DELAY.
Hope this clarifies
I hope its not limited or something. I think i am intereted around christmas
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear

The one Oscillator challenge

I am looking for only 1 analog oscillator. No Braids, no Wavetables, no sampler... classic analog osc.. with as much features as possible.. sync, fm, etc..

If you could have only one analogue oscillator, what would it be??
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search