The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 14th September 2017
Lives for gear

guitar pedals were my first modular (signal out sends and auxes, into pedals, back into new channels). I still have a wall of them, and patch them through malekko SND/RTN (which are fantastic) modules, but generally they're wired permanently to my mixer through the 6 auxs. I'd love to see more euro versions of all of these, with patch points on their controls. but it's important to remember that clean/consistent oscillator waveforms don't illicit the same type of responses from distortion/overdrive pedals that complex & chaotic guitar sources.

I'm still looking into a solution to use guitar pedals in my mixers insert points. the impedance imbalance makes them limp, and the only product on market that offers a solution (radial EXTC-SA) is wayyy to expensive imho. (never seen one used listed either) I'd be cheaper to use an 2n hand eventide pedal and use its' line input/guitar output > pedal > guitar input/line output! I'm trying to convince a local tech to build me a box with 16 transformers to use 8 channels of inserts.

just to say: yes I'd be interested in eurorack versions of guitar pedals, but make sure it has the proper impedance match, don't just throw a guitar pedal schematic behind a panel.
I want effects with euro patch points. The XAOC phaser is so wonderful, being able to use an external envelope instead of just the built in LFO is a godsend. I want a chorus and a flanger that can do that. simple sine LFO sweeps get boring - I want to use ADSR or complex waveforms to move those effects. I want to dual envelope gain&volume settings on a fuzz.
Old 14th September 2017
Lives for gear

Just picked these up:

I've needed attenuation for a while, but the Three Band Splitter is the one I'm really excited for. I've got enough distortion modules to do my own multiband distortion craziness.
Old 14th September 2017
Lives for gear

Welcome back @Derp. Missed you man.

Congrats on the book. Quite the achievement.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-20170911_125824.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-20170911_230757.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-20170902_153734.jpg  
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear

I thought I had expelled my euro GAS and was downsizing... getting to a low 0.1% Derp Small and manageable - 2 rows of 126hp I thought, could I make it? I sold modules I haven't been using; Grids, Doepfer VCADSR and QVCA mixer, sold my DE1 and Mopho and made a tidy sum to fund the imminent purchase of DM desktop; I see this and modular working really well together. Then this popped up for near half price ex demo - oh the GAS! Telemark multimode filter. Any love for this?

I realise also with the E352 on it's way soon I should aim for 3 rows 126hp and that really will do!

https://vimeo.com/181768071

P.S. Have you seen this... I was quite surprised.

https://vcvrack.com/
Old 15th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
Welcome back @Derp. Missed you man.

Congrats on the book. Quite the achievement.
Hot sh1t dude. So that's what 8 hp left?
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I just sold the Spectrum VCO yday so about 18 left. Erica synths octasource on the way and the Pico DSP and we are full up!
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just sold the Spectrum VCO yday so about 18 left. Erica synths octasource and pico DSP on the way and then we are full!
Old 15th September 2017
What's done is done...
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
What's done is done...
Be warned, that thing is a one trick pony until you get a good sequential switch like an SSM. A PLL module is also fun with it to pull a tone out. I Still wish the final product was closer to the 2016 demo unit.
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear

First attempt at modular drums... Seems to have a Dub feel...not my intent...but what comes out of you is what comes out...

Pico drums, Synthrotek DS-M and Elements all triggered and controlled by Sonic Potions LXR (drums layered from here too). through eventide Space and Oto Biscuit. Synth line from Braids in ZHPF mode. 100% live. 1 take. No processing at all. No EQ, level changes or any other edits!

https://soundcloud.com/androiddreams/modular-dub

Old 15th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Be warned, that thing is a one trick pony until you get a good sequential switch like an SSM. A PLL module is also fun with it to pull a tone out. I Still wish the final product was closer to the 2016 demo unit.
But It's the one trick I didn't have in my dog and pony show.

Tell me how you use a sequential switch with this module, I'm interested. I have one just not an Ssm. If you mean for different progressions then yeah totally. I know nothing of versions either do tell.

The tone is fine to me, the plan is for whatever voice(s) are making chords in my system to run through my Humpback Filter, an Oberheim-style filter that makes everything soft and buttery if I want it, even this beast. My main use of the chords will be simple progressions where I control the pitch and cv inputs with my z8000 or stepper acid running through the uScale.
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
But It's the one trick I didn't have in my dog and pony show.

Tell me how you use a sequential switch with this module, I'm interested. I have one just not an Ssm. If you mean for different progressions then yeah totally. I know nothing of versions either do tell.

The tone is fine to me, the plan is for whatever voice(s) are making chords in my system to run through my Humpback Filter, an Oberheim-style filter that makes everything soft and buttery if I want it, even this beast. My main use of the chords will be simple progressions where I control the pitch and cv inputs with my z8000 or stepper acid running through the uScale.
You run the individual outs through a switch to do arps, or even melodies. Pretty straight forward.
Old 15th September 2017
Quote:
You run the individual outs through a switch to do arps, or even melodies. Pretty straight forward.
See now my use of the SS would be totally different, since I'm using mine to actually play chords. I needed something to play "guitar" and "piano" parts on. I run 4 different sequences into my SS for switching "parts". That's why I asked great idea.
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear

I'm just watching videos of the Makr Noise 0 Coast at the moment.

It came along at a time I wasn't really looking at modular but I'm considering dipping my toes in again.

I'm guessing the 0 Coast is a cut down best-of various other Make Noise models.

If you wanted to make a kind of super 0 Coast in the modular realm as oppose to semi fixed architecture, what modules would you consider? (I've got Maths)
Old 15th September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
A buddy (he is a very skilled tech/EE) of mine and I are thinking about starting a Eurorack company. The focus of the the first run would be effects, most likely different types of Distortion, Overdrive, and Fuzz to start but other varieties of effects and modules later. There would be more to the modules than just effects as well, part of the idea is to include some features (not ready to reveal these just yet) that Euro lovers really dig and would help set us apart. Modules would be on the cheaper side of things generally speaking, and hopefully not too fat on HP while still including CV over as much as possible.

I've gotten some advice from a few ppl who own their own module companies, large and small (Portland is good for that) so we aren't completely out of our depth here.

Not trying to pre-sell, it's still pretty conceptual. You guys think you'd be into some dedicated effect modules like that? Any ideas or features you'd like to see? I'm interested in your opinions about specifics on product details more than the business plan (so we stay basically on topic) but anything you guys think might be relevant is appreciated.
digital multi effects in a euro module would be super sweet..two ins two outs so you could have say a reverb on input 1 and a delay on input 2...asking a bit much but hey..
Old 15th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
digital multi effects in a euro module would be super sweet..two ins two outs so you could have say a reverb on input 1 and a delay on input 2...asking a bit much but hey..
Asking a bit much for what we are capable of right now...in the future who knows? Neither of us are coders (yet). We are starting out doing older pedal clones set up for euro use- Impedance, voltage, CV for knobs, etc. Hoping to come out with 2-3 different modules to start, most likely a Tubescreamer clone, a fuzzface clone, and some kind of chorus. Sorry @RunnyKine it probably won't be a MUTron Biphase, those things are a nightmare inside.
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
First attempt at modular drums... Seems to have a Dub feel...not my intent...but what comes out of you is what comes out...

Pico drums, Synthrotek DS-M and Elements all triggered and controlled by Sonic Potions LXR (drums layered from here too). through eventide Space and Oto Biscuit. Synth line from Braids in ZHPF mode. 100% live. 1 take. No processing at all. No EQ, level changes or any other edits!

https://soundcloud.com/androiddreams/modular-dub

A lot of it seems more industrial to me than dub... really cool sounding stuff!
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
A lot of it seems more industrial to me than dub... really cool sounding stuff!
Yeah... On re listening you're right! FELT dubby to me compared to my other styles!
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Telemark multimode filter.
I used to have the full size Telemark and the SEMblance that it evolved from. It easily has one of my favorite bandpass filters. It doesn't sound very SEM-like as it's a little more aggressive as is usual for ASol, but it's a good filter. Wouldn't mind having one of those in my rack.
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
If you wanted to make a kind of super 0 Coast in the modular realm as oppose to semi fixed architecture, what modules would you consider? (I've got Maths)
DPO, Maths, Wogglebug, and MMG. It still wouldn't sound like a 0 Coast though because it's got some of the overtone stuff that Mysteron has. So yeah, while half of that is already in my rack and I plan to buy the other half later, 0 Coast is on my wishlist.
Old 15th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
P.S. Have you seen this... I was quite surprised.

https://vcvrack.com/
Pretty cool. But otah wiggling with this looks like a disaster to me. But great for trying out some stuff and to make generative patches.
Old 15th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
A buddy (he is a very skilled tech/EE) of mine and I are thinking about starting a Eurorack company. The focus of the the first run would be effects, most likely different types of Distortion, Overdrive, and Fuzz to start but other varieties of effects and modules later. There would be more to the modules than just effects as well, part of the idea is to include some features (not ready to reveal these just yet) that Euro lovers really dig and would help set us apart. Modules would be on the cheaper side of things generally speaking, and hopefully not too fat on HP while still including CV over as much as possible.

I've gotten some advice from a few ppl who own their own module companies, large and small (Portland is good for that) so we aren't completely out of our depth here.

Not trying to pre-sell, it's still pretty conceptual. You guys think you'd be into some dedicated effect modules like that? Any ideas or features you'd like to see? I'm interested in your opinions about specifics on product details more than the business plan (so we stay basically on topic) but anything you guys think might be relevant is appreciated.

More cv-able effects we need... may the force be with you!
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

It came along at a time I wasn't really looking at modular but I'm considering dipping my toes in again.

You could get pretty close to the tone with just an STO + Optomix along with the Maths you already have. You would not get the MIDI and sequencer bits but IMO those are the kinda half baked parts of the 0 coast. I have an STO and can vouch for the quality. Mine doesn't track as perfectly as my Intellijel VCOs but it may just need to be calibrated. It does have some pretty out there waves compared to the standard four. STO + the SSF Ultrafold and I can get all kinds of nasty harmonics.
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear

Boy Oliver is stopping production of some of the MI classics. First Peaks and now Braids! This just popped up on my Facebook feed.

Quote:
Goodbye Braids!

Time to say goodbye to another module, Braids.

When I originally designed Braids in 2012, from the ashes of a never released factory-made Ambika, I naively thought that it would be the monster oscillator to end all oscillators. It did everything, what could go wrong? Five years later I realize that I completely missed the mark, and that I created instead a very different kind of beast. Deeper, bigger oscillators have been made. Yet, Mutable Instruments' best-selling sound generator ended up in musicians' racks for all kinds of other reasons: quickly getting the sauce going, layering or doubling "better" oscillators, that extra part in a multi-timbral patch or this short percussive plink triggered by the fourth or fifth channel of your Circadian Rhythms, the glorious "channel surfing" sound of the META mode,... or anything that needed to be rapidly reconfigured between tracks in a live performance.

What bothers me is that Braids’ user interface is not really adequate for these tasks (something that is meant to be shallow doesn’t deserve a menu system!), that its rather large size is out of sync with its role as a little sound generation satellite, and that there's too much fragmentation in this big list of models. Not to mention that over the past few years I've written cleaner, more sophisticated and better sounding algorithms for most of the things Braids does.

I'm going to fix this. Don't expect a "Braids mkII" with an OLED display, a SD card reader and gazillion models. Other brands and some hot newcomers are getting very good at this game. For me it is time to make some room for something leaner and more fun to play with!

PS: more announcements to come... it looks like 2017 will be a year with a negative number of module releases
And he posted a pic of the first Braids prototype.

Old 15th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Boy Oliver is stopping production of some of the MI classics. First Peaks and now Braids! This just popped up on my Facebook feed.

And he posted a pic of the first Braids prototype.

I really love Braids and Peaks, have them both. But I also have a lot of respect for his 'change of view' and for making these decisions. So excited for the new stuff he will come up with next year.....
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I used to have the full size Telemark and the SEMblance that it evolved from. It easily has one of my favorite bandpass filters. It doesn't sound very SEM-like as it's a little more aggressive as is usual for ASol, but it's a good filter. Wouldn't mind having one of those in my rack.
I'll do a little demo when I get it but it does sound good from the demos I've seen. I got an ex-demo just over half price from Asol's site on ebay and a nice message from Tom Carpenter. I always assumed because asol is well established it was at least a medium sized company and more than a boutique run by one person like so many eurorack companies.

I pulled the trigger on the DeepMind desktop; I've been trying to downsize my kit generally as well as Euro (I'll probably get rid of my Alpha Juno and JV2080) if the DM fills that gap as I expect it will. I'm looking forward to see how the DM will work alongside the rack. Some nice poly pads and chords and versatile euro voices/modulation.
Old 16th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Isn't that more or less the Erica Black Hole DSP? Except the running two fx at the same time aspect.

As for the new module idea, I think there are a lot of good distortion options already - for example, Zvex... the Roland Torcido is heavily discounted.
Old 16th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

The 0 Coast is a fairly dense little guy.

Left to Right:
MIDI to CV interface of your choosing (can go small and simple like the Intellijel or for something more robust like Yarns).

Clock module of some kind. There are clock modules with tap tempo (I'm pretty sure most of the 4ms ones). Not sure about Pam's but that always sounds like a good clock solution.

You need something for stepped random out. Wogglebug, URA, there are some smaller ones too (hp wise) I think.

The VOLTAGE MATH section looks like a pair of inputs, an attenuverter and some logic. Seems like you could handle that with Maths. Or with more attenuation/bias (always good to have) paired with a 2hp and/or module.

A pair of STOs, some VCAs and a wave folder (or maybe a DPO) . I know the 0 Coast only has one oscillator but...I can't imagine building a 'Super 0 Coast' and leaving out dynamic FM. For that matter if you wanna get really fancy pair an STO and a Rubicon with your VCAs and folder to add even more dimensions.

Optomix or some LPG.

Wavefolder of some kind for the Overtone circuit. This could be handled by the SHAPE circuit on the STO imo (looking at the pics in the 0 Coast manual they look at least somewhat similar to what I've seen on the scope with the STO).

For Timbre, though...I'm not sure which VCOs offer that kind of slope control actually. And I'm also not sure if there are external processor modules (for VCOs) that can do that function. Seems to me the Complex Oscillators (Sputnik Dual, Make Noise DPO) are the way to get that feature in Euro.

Slope you've got covered with Maths. You'll need an ADSR for Contour, if you can find one with variable response (lin to exp) all the better. Not sure if I've seen any ADSRs with variable response though.

And the output section. I'm not entirely clear on how the 0 Coast's output section is setup but there are various output modules I'm sure could do the duty.

You might need some spare VCAs for some of the CV inputs.
Old 16th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That is really awesome. Those OD boxes are quite impressive no doubt... ... ...
... Multi-use modules sometimes frustrate me because of the lack of limits so my case is full of single-purpose type stuff...Swiss army knife vs box of separate tools philosophically...
Quote:
I'll be more direct, while the ER-301 is powerful, there's a lot that it can't do ...

I had the 101/102 and 301 for a short while and I have yet to dig into them because I was busy digging into stuff I already started looking at for some ongoing tracks. The OD devices are next (together with some other bits and bops). I know some people think the 101 interface is a bit cold but funny enough what attracted me to the 101 was indeed the airplane cockpit look was love at first sight ahah hahah a

Swiss army knife modules yes they could quickly reach a cap in terms of worthwhile complication. And if they only do one things at the time out of 100 things...
One really needs to look into the "price/hp/number-of-functions-at-the-time" balance, possibly in some case it could be cheaper or simply much more functional to have separate modules.

For example Peaks can work as two separate parts compromising number of hands-on editable parameter per part. But if a module was to offer 20 different functions and only enable you to use 1 at any one time, with 1 output, unless the price is very affordable it sorts of defeats the point (just theoretical example)
Old 16th September 2017
Lives for gear

This is one of the things I was busy on during the past week.
A full review of the Winter Modular Eloquencer

Guys you are Eurorackers! Please let me know what you think and by the way, if you wanted to know more about the Eloquencer, in this review I cover all its features so you can get a good idea of what it can do

The video is long (may release it in separate shorter parts as well) but there is a Clickable Index in the Youtube video description below the video

Video Index
00:00 Introduction
00:35 Visual Appeal
01:36 Layout - Interface
05:09 Multifunctional Buttons
08:34 Song Structure
09:40 Song Building
14:47 Pattern & Tracks (Copy, Paste, Duplicate, Clear...)
19:20 Create & Edit Tracks (CV, Gate, Ratchet, Probability...)
30:56 Tempo: (Int/Ext Clock, Master Track)
38:15 Shuffle - Scale/Modes
40:27 Step Modes (Forward, Pendulum, Random, etc...)
43:28 Track Shift
44:22 Track Length per Track
46:06 Random
49:24 Fill
50:24 Live Rec: Free Play Mode
52:46 Live Rec: CV Key Rec
53:51 Live Rec: Gate Rec (e.g. drum pads)
54:36 Mute (LFO and MOD mode not yet present)
55:15 AUX (options for Gate and Reset)
56:53 Freeze / Revert
58:45 CV Inputs 1 & 2 - CV Assign (Options Menu)
01:09:09 Voltage Output Test-Measurements
01:13:05 Conclusion - Opinion

Keep an eye on the channel, I will have some follow up video, soon, on the Eloquencer, e.g. new features from the new firmware ASAP. And of course other modules reviews and demos.

Thank you in advance if you do honour me with a subscription to the channel

Feedback very welcome

Last edited by Hokut; 16th September 2017 at 05:16 PM..
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search