The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 14th January 2017
  #511
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Triple Sloths arrived this morning,
I blame @ImNotDedyet for this purchase he pointed the link out to me
They'll join my legion of PCB's to get built within the next 10 years

2
Share
Old 14th January 2017
  #512
Lives for gear
 
Kubase's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
With Bitwig you need some solution like ES or something like a Multiclock also to sync your external gear. The MIDI clock out is completely iffy and MIDI clock in is nonexistant.
Yeah, although I'd use ES with and DAW tbh. Can't remember the last time I worried about synch. Bitwig 2 has CV clock out but I'll still use ES for that.
Old 14th January 2017
  #513
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Triple Sloths arrived this morning,
I blame @ImNotDedyet for this purchase he pointed the link out to me
They'll join my legion of PCB's to get built within the next 10 years

Hah! I love being an enabler!

Sloths should really be in the next year plan, not next ten years.
Old 14th January 2017
  #514
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Sloths should really be in the next year plan, not next ten years.
That depends how lazy your sloth is

To be honest on Thursday I'm either going to build the sloth or do a remix for somebody, not sure which is more important
2
Share
Old 14th January 2017
  #515
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Hah! I love being an enabler!
I know, I can feel your hand on my back pushing me into that circle to get a Dual wasp built
1
Share
Old 14th January 2017
  #516
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Roland AIRA modules. Which of these do you think you would be interested in? I'm interested in the Torcido and from this demo quite amazing you can load in other modules @ 3:04. Are they all the same apart from the default function - layout and being able to load other modules? I don't want a bitcrusher but delay, distortion and loop recorder/Scatter all sound good so the Torcido and Scooper seem most interesting to me. And I understand that 'you get 15 additional building blocks under the hood as before, so you can't – at the moment – reprogram the Torcido to be a Demora.' but surely only time before someone writes some firmware so you can. The Scooper reminded me of the Roland SP-404SX which I have and have been thinking of utilising with my modular.





https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFLjojv_ys0

How Bon Harris of Nitzer Ebb Uses the Roland Aira Scooper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgv53L5M0Lk
Old 14th January 2017
  #517
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Anyone been to Cymru Beats? I'd like to check it out this year.

Found this interesting - Eden Grey don't know but her stuff sounds really interesting.



@ 13:40


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE-ruFpRGKk





Old 14th January 2017
  #518
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
4ms Pingable Envelope Generator Eurorack Module. Is it worth it? I might be tempted to sell a few things if it is. Isn't it a bit like Maths with variation? Does the Quad have the same control as the dual?




I'm thinking I'd like some other modulation modules. If I get one more what would you recommend?

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/rack...rid_389325.jpg
Old 14th January 2017
  #519
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Well, since the Morpheus is already ordered (and the module that got my started on this crap), here's the result of my cathartic wishlist exercise.



And I still don't have enough VCA's ...
If you're eyeballing Medic Modules, you may want to keep an eye out for old Analogue Solutions modules instead. Medic is just rebranded ASol (same company and same designer) with more HP. Like that filter/VCA there is just a bigger version of the SY02. SY02 can be found on Muff's all the time in the $125 range.
Old 14th January 2017
  #520
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Speaking of effects, I'm starting to wonder if I really need to spend $500 + $70 (ZDSP) per card just to be able to control effects with CV...I mean, the main thing I was gonna do with it was reverb, and I already have a bitchin reverb (Eventide H9) I love that I can fully control from my Octatrack (which also controls my modular). I also really dig my Moog minifooger delay, quite a bit more than the Chronoblob for straight delay stuff. In fairness, the blob has more features but the moog sounds way better to me, and has a CV input that can control the time or the feedback so there is some integration. In short, I have effects I like with decent modulation control, why shouldn't I just use them?

I know I'll be losing more than a reverb in the ZDSP if I take it out of my plan, I am aware that it does a zillion (The "Z" in ZDSP) things but I am beginning to think it was a bit of a bandwagon choice (I blame Derp), plus looking at the "wishlist" on a separate grid that has the price tag for all of it just made me want to trim the "fat" and get the most out of my HP...thoughts?

The current plan-
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/363493
Things I don't own yet, the wishlist-
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/390188
I mainly snagged the ZDSP for the filters. I agree that $500+ is a lot for a reverb. You've already got Clouds, right? If so, throw Parasites on it and learn to love Oliverb. If not, there are much cheaper reverb options out there in Euro. Flame FX16 is my current fave verb. The plate mode is rather gorgeous. Great flanger onboard, too. A lot of people swear by the RT60, but that one doesn't give me any thrills. I like aeverb, but I know I'm in the minority on that one. Verbtronic is a simple one that sounds nice, but it can really only do a virtual spring or the 'tronic' mode that sounds like a tripped out washy delay. There's lots of options out there, just gotta find one you like. It's worth it for the CV control.
Old 14th January 2017
  #521
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Roland AIRA modules. Which of these do you think you would be interested in? I'm interested in the Torcido and from this demo quite amazing you can load in other modules @ 3:04. Are they all the same apart from the default function - layout and being able to load other modules? I don't want a bitcrusher but delay, distortion and loop recorder/Scatter all sound good so the Torcido and Scooper seem most interesting to me. And I understand that 'you get 15 additional building blocks under the hood as before, so you can't – at the moment – reprogram the Torcido to be a Demora.' but surely only time before someone writes some firmware so you can. The Scooper reminded me of the Roland SP-404SX which I have and have been thinking of utilising with my modular.





https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFLjojv_ys0

How Bon Harris of Nitzer Ebb Uses the Roland Aira Scooper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgv53L5M0Lk
I've got all four of them. The reconfigurability really is the best part. You can bypass the main effect entirely if you want to. My Demora spends most of its time as a MIDI-controlled oscillator bank, but I've seen vids of people turning them into whole synth voices and drum synths. Of the four, the Scooper I think has the best core effect. You can't use the Scatter on live audio, but it makes up for it by having a great pooper (autocorrect attack, but I'm leaving that because it's funny) that can be synced to clock. Torcido is an alright distortion. I think there are better in Euro, but it's still usable. Kind of tame really, though being able to run the dry sound in parallel is nice and it sounds good as a pre-gain boost on a guitar amp. Bitrazer actually surprised me. Already having other bit crushers, I wasn't expecting much, but it it can do subtle with ease (sounds really good as a pre-filter waveshaper) and the filter is really good. The filter is about a half-step up in quality from the one in the the submodules. Sounds like they yoinked it from the System 1. Demora is just a really bland and unexciting delay. No damping, no modulation, and all that width control does is make it unwieldy. As long as you can get them cheap, they're worth it for the internal modularity alone.
Old 14th January 2017
  #522
Gear Maniac
 
BigSteak's Avatar
 

Think I might get a moogerfooger 12 stage phaser. I'd prefer an in rack phaser but none are really interesting to me, and I'd like to have a moogerfooger to pair with my sub 37. Anyone have any recommendations for a eurorack phaser though?
Old 14th January 2017
  #523
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Random source Haible phaser, if you don't mind soldering a few pots/jacks.

Or Xaoc KAMIENIEC

Ain't used either.
1
Share
Old 14th January 2017
  #524
Gear Maniac
 
BigSteak's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Random source Haible phaser, if you don't mind soldering a few pots/jacks.
Looks kind of big, but I'm not totally against that. I'd like to see a review or demo videos though.
Old 14th January 2017
  #525
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteak View Post
Think I might get a moogerfooger 12 stage phaser. I'd prefer an in rack phaser but none are really interesting to me, and I'd like to have a moogerfooger to pair with my sub 37. Anyone have any recommendations for a eurorack phaser though?
A-101-3


There's one of these on CL seattle I have been eyeballing for months but know nothing about it...
1
Share
Old 14th January 2017
  #526
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

YouTube is full of Haible kraut rock phaser demos, the random source is exactly the same circuit, if you see the size of the original unit you can understand why the eurorack version is so big, he made it as small as he could using SMD whilst keeping it original

It's on my want list.

original thru-hole Haible phaser


and the neat Euro version

1
Share
Old 14th January 2017
  #527
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteak View Post
Think I might get a moogerfooger 12 stage phaser. I'd prefer an in rack phaser but none are really interesting to me, and I'd like to have a moogerfooger to pair with my sub 37. Anyone have any recommendations for a eurorack phaser though?
PM Phase Shifter?
Old 14th January 2017
  #528
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
4ms Pingable Envelope Generator Eurorack Module. Is it worth it? I might be tempted to sell a few things if it is. Isn't it a bit like Maths with variation? Does the Quad have the same control as the dual?




I'm thinking I'd like some other modulation modules. If I get one more what would you recommend?

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/rack...rid_389325.jpg
PEG owner here. PEG and Maths have very little in common. PEG is more closely related to a pair of Tides. PEG is a lot of fun. Richard Devine did a pretty nifty vid where he had a pair of them, fed them some clocks, and then LFO modulated the division rate to get some glitchy drums.
Old 14th January 2017
  #529
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteak View Post
Think I might get a moogerfooger 12 stage phaser. I'd prefer an in rack phaser but none are really interesting to me, and I'd like to have a moogerfooger to pair with my sub 37. Anyone have any recommendations for a eurorack phaser though?
Get the Fooger and start another little addiction. The CV capabilities on the foogers are nice additions to Euro, provided you don't mind getting a few 1/4" - 1/8" cables. They sound flippin fantastic though. I've got the Chorus/Flange and 104/Delay.
Old 14th January 2017
  #530
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I love my Mini Slew. Lots of options, very practical. The Chronoblob is great but mine is noisy. Not sure if they are all noisy but mine is like "can't use it in a quiet part" noisy, and may fall out of the rack for something else eventually, it kinda depends...

I could use another AD type envelope. I've been looking at the mini slew or the Noise Engineering one with the built in VCA. As far as the blob. I have a DubJr2 but the power issues with it are pretty annoying and I really like having a clockable delay in the rack. I don't know of much else on the market other than the bigger, more expensive 20 hp ones. I think 4ms has a new delay in the works that may be the answer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
I love my Mangrove! Cold Mac could do some fun stuff with it I'll bet. If I ever understood WTH it does.

You should wait to see what the new Pam's Workout brings. May want to reach for that instead of the Pam's it appears you have in there?
After bonding with 3 sisters and just friends I've got those on there mostly to check out and grab if I see a deal on. I'm not sure about Coldmac basically because of the interface. I have problems reading the fonts on the Mannequins modules as is and that wall of jacks with tiny chicken scratch on the mac would probably give me a headache. As for Mangrove, I don't really need more VCOs. I've got 2 dixies, an STO, Telharmonic, Braids, 2 drum voices and a bunch of other stuff that can make noise. But it seems really unique and could end up replacing the STO.

The pams on there is the new one. I'm interested in the euclidean and other new modes they're adding. I don't really need a divider. My A160 works just fine. It's basically there to check out when it gets released.

The modules I'm most interested in are the O&C and new version of the Trianna that Xaox has been talking about. I'm really looking for ways to get more milage out of sequencer patterns, arpeggios, quantized random and stuff like that.
Old 15th January 2017
  #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I mainly snagged the ZDSP for the filters. I agree that $500+ is a lot for a reverb. You've already got Clouds, right? If so, throw Parasites on it and learn to love Oliverb. If not, there are much cheaper reverb options out there in Euro. Flame FX16 is my current fave verb. The plate mode is rather gorgeous. Great flanger onboard, too. A lot of people swear by the RT60, but that one doesn't give me any thrills. I like aeverb, but I know I'm in the minority on that one. Verbtronic is a simple one that sounds nice, but it can really only do a virtual spring or the 'tronic' mode that sounds like a tripped out washy delay. There's lots of options out there, just gotta find one you like. It's worth it for the CV control.
No Clouds in the plan...yet...although I am working on a fun grid with nothing but MI modules that reaches pretty epic proportions. It actually would be easy to do the "one brand only" thing with MI because of all the multifunctions, you could build a system with a few Rings and Braids, then add like 10 Peaks or so for everything else.
Old 15th January 2017
  #532
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
You know they never put those Roland Aira modules on sale in Australia. I keep looking but they are still full price they have always been..
Old 15th January 2017
  #533
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
You know they never put those Roland Aira modules on sale in Australia. I keep looking but they are still full price they have always been..
ProAudioStar won't ship to you?
Old 15th January 2017
  #534
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
ProAudioStar won't ship to you?
most retailers who have them on sale only will ship locally, and even if they were to ship international I would end up losing the discount in shipping costs..
Old 15th January 2017
  #535
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
I'd been putting off finishing the Thomas White Dual Resonant LPG as the wire I had was too thick - 20 guage, and I wasn't in the mood to desolder some of the crap wire connections with the too thick wire. I picked up some 24 guage and finally finished it off today. That thing's got some gnarl to it - really nice addition to my system. I've only given it an initial test to make sure the boards are soldered correctly and the inputs/pots wired correctly.

But, if you're in the market for an LPG, this thing is flippin cool.
1
Share
Old 15th January 2017
  #536
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
4ms Pingable Envelope Generator Eurorack Module. Is it worth it? I might be tempted to sell a few things if it is. Isn't it a bit like Maths with variation? Does the Quad have the same control as the dual?
Not so much like Maths (other than the fact that they are both legendary modules in lots and lots of racks) in that PEG is all about sync'd modulations. I know it has the word envelope in the name and it can technically be used like an envelope generator (though not an amazingly good one) but nobody uses it that way; PEG is a time-sync'd dual uni/bi "LFO". Even with multi-out units like the Octocontroller PEG holds its own with a smart feature set and the OR out and the fact that it can double as a voltage controlled clock multiplier/divider. I recall someone on MW describing PEG as "the reason to go Eurorack".

For me there's not much sibling rivalry with Maths which I generally prefer to use as envelopes or special utility.

Quote:
I'm thinking I'd like some other modulation modules. If I get one more what would you recommend?
The ones that are at the top of my list:
Octocontroller: like a less featured PEG with 8 outs. Can do free run so it's just 8 sync'able LFOs. Also S&H, triggers and gates.
CV Trinity: 6 outs but in addition to LFOs you get envelopes or knob recorders. Looks really cool, keeping space for one myself.
Vulcan: for a cool cross modulating dual LFO this guy is also a classic. Something about Livewire panels.
Sequencer 1: even if you never use the step Sequencer (another awesome modulator with CV and two adjustable length gate outs) you have 3 sync'd LFOs with a deep feature set that are very easy to operate. Now any of the LFOs can also be programmed as numeric voltages per step (with hold modes), note values or gates. Definitely the most powerful modulator in my rig; even with Avalon doing most of the step sequencing Seq1 has a lot to offer every patch. Expensive, large but does a lot with that space.

ETA: With these powerhouse multi-output modulators: save space for scale and offset modules. Unlike less space efficient modules (like PEG or Maths) they tend not to have amazing utility per output and you'll need modules to tame their outputs.
Old 15th January 2017
  #537
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
If you're eyeballing Medic Modules, you may want to keep an eye out for old Analogue Solutions modules instead. Medic is just rebranded ASol (same company and same designer) with more HP. Like that filter/VCA there is just a bigger version of the SY02. SY02 can be found on Muff's all the time in the $125 range.
This is true, I think it's even the same core (I couldn't get Tom to say explicitly but it was strongly implied that they all share a common core from an earlier non-Modular Asol design). However you can often find Medic modules at a decent discount (they're not popular due to their size with 2hp being the in thing right now) used and the panel space is so worth it. The VCO in particular is the ultimate hard sync oscillator: I can go zero to Arp with a single patch cable (envelope in to VCO2 mod, flip the sync switch, detune away). Hard sync'ing any other VCO in my kit is a lot more trouble than that (and none of them sound as meaty anyway). I'd keep it just for that. And the onboard legato is incredibly useful (does the Asol have that?) both at extreme and more sensible settings.
Old 15th January 2017
  #538
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Not so much like Maths (other than the fact that they are both legendary modules in lots and lots of racks) in that PEG is all about sync'd modulations. I know it has the word envelope in the name and it can technically be used like an envelope generator (though not an amazingly good one) but nobody uses it that way; PEG is a time-sync'd dual uni/bi "LFO". Even with multi-out units like the Octocontroller PEG holds its own with a smart feature set and the OR out and the fact that it can double as a voltage controlled clock multiplier/divider. I recall someone on MW describing PEG as "the reason to go Eurorack".

For me there's not much sibling rivalry with Maths which I generally prefer to use as envelopes or special utility.
I'll think I'll try the PEG then. Thanks.

Thing is I just bought a Doepfer A-141-2 dual ADSR but I guess the PEG has a lot more control than this?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/doepfer_a_...3jlxoC2_Lw_wcB
Old 15th January 2017
  #539
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I've got all four of them. The reconfigurability really is the best part. You can bypass the main effect entirely if you want to. My Demora spends most of its time as a MIDI-controlled oscillator bank, but I've seen vids of people turning them into whole synth voices and drum synths. Of the four, the Scooper I think has the best core effect. You can't use the Scatter on live audio, but it makes up for it by having a great pooper (autocorrect attack, but I'm leaving that because it's funny) that can be synced to clock. Torcido is an alright distortion. I think there are better in Euro, but it's still usable. Kind of tame really, though being able to run the dry sound in parallel is nice and it sounds good as a pre-gain boost on a guitar amp. Bitrazer actually surprised me. Already having other bit crushers, I wasn't expecting much, but it it can do subtle with ease (sounds really good as a pre-filter waveshaper) and the filter is really good. The filter is about a half-step up in quality from the one in the the submodules. Sounds like they yoinked it from the System 1. Demora is just a really bland and unexciting delay. No damping, no modulation, and all that width control does is make it unwieldy. As long as you can get them cheap, they're worth it for the internal modularity alone.
I was looking the other day and was surprised the prices have really dropped on these.

Check this out. It's a virtual modular in a box.

Old 15th January 2017
  #540
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Found this interesting - Eden Grey don't know but her stuff sounds really interesting.
Its good to see women into modular, i seen her wandering around the stalls at SynthfestUK trying out the gear.
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump