The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 11th September 2017
  #5311
Maybe Derp lost interest. I mean, the quality of threads and posters is slowly diminishing over time. Plus the anti-modular bias is unreal here, just stupid. What boutique next??? How about a fvcking boutique dumpster to throw them all in so they can go to the boutique landfill? I'm getting bored here, reading muffs and watching YouTube more lately. (I'm discussing this in the one thread excluded from this perspective by the way.)
3
Share
Old 11th September 2017
  #5312
Lives for gear
 
Hokut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Maybe Derp lost interest. I mean, the quality of threads and posters is slowly diminishing over time. Plus the anti-modular bias is unreal here, just stupid. What boutique next??? How about a fvcking boutique dumpster to throw them all in so they can go to the boutique landfill? I'm getting bored here, reading muffs and watching YouTube more lately. (I'm discussing this in the one thread excluded from this perspective by the way.)


I happened to hear from Derp via other channels, not for me to talk about details but he is ok and the house move, workload, projects got him busy and 'momentarily' away from forums.

Anti-modular bias? mmm I didn't manage to read in detail the posts on the last two pages so am I have missed something... but MODULAR ROCKS!!!!!!
1
Share
Old 11th September 2017
  #5313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
I happened to hear from Derp via other channels, not for me to talk about details but he is ok and the house move, workload, projects got him busy and 'momentarily' away from forums.

Anti-modular bias? mmm I didn't manage to read in detail the posts on the last two pages so am I have missed something... but MODULAR ROCKS!!!!!!
I excluded this thread...no need to look for something that isn't there.

I'm glad Derp is fine but my statements about GS stand. This place is full of fearful little rodents who run when they hear a loud noise and fear anything they don't understand. Trolls simultaneously bore and anger me, they eventually ruin nearly every thread too. To remedy this I go through and "unparticipate" stuff, it doesn't really help though and I am running out of threads.
3
Share
Old 11th September 2017
  #5314
Lives for gear
 
Hokut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I excluded this thread...no need to look for something that isn't there.

..., they eventually ruin nearly every thread too. To remedy this I go through and "unparticipate" stuff, it doesn't really help though and I am running out of threads.
Ops yes didn't pick up on the 'excluded' words sry

and " I am running out of threads."
1
Share
Old 11th September 2017
  #5315
Lives for gear
 

Derp posted in the What Music Is Turning You On thread yesterday or the day before.

I mostly just lurk here, soaking up knowledge, asking the occasional question.

And I'm delighted this thread isn't like most threads on GS. The whining and complaining and trash talking is soul sucking and uninspiring, to say the least.
2
Share
Old 11th September 2017
  #5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Derp posted in the What Music Is Turning You On thread yesterday or the day before.

I mostly just lurk here, soaking up knowledge, asking the occasional question.

And I'm delighted this thread isn't like most threads on GS. The whining and complaining and trash talking is soul sucking and uninspiring, to say the least.
This is why I've begged for a modular subform. I don't feel safe starting threads related to modular in the hate fest that is the EM forum. All you ever get is crap.
3
Share
Old 11th September 2017
  #5317
Never fear other forum members.
It's only words.
7
Share
Old 11th September 2017
  #5318
Lives for gear
 

GS is gas central. and it's not sustainable to keep buying gear and buying and buying. at a certain point you've got to start making music or you turn into a joke even by gs standards. eh.


even for me I can keep talking about my expansion plans, but until I actually decide to do it; it's just talk. In the mean time I'm having a blast using what i've got and they'll keep me happy, waiting for the e370 (omg the e352 videos have me lusting)...
New noise engineering modules shown at knobcon look really cool. NIN in a box. I want that.
er301... want want want... but I'm still not seeing controller situations I'm happy with. (basically waiting for something like this)
I still got miles to dig into the morphagene and the shapeshifter...



should I share music - i dunno.
Old 11th September 2017
  #5319
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Never fear other forum members.
It's only words.
Indeed. I shouldn't have implied that. "Not feeling safe" is a bit hyperbolic on my part, it's more like I'll be pissed when a troll derails my effort to gain some knowledge or just have a decent discussion about something so I inevitably just decide not to make a thread.
1
Share
Old 11th September 2017
  #5320
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
GS is gas central. and it's not sustainable to keep buying gear and buying and buying.
This is amusing on GS.. and even more amusing on a modular thread. They call it 'eurocrack' for a good reason (that I've recently found out..)
"-)
2
Share
Old 11th September 2017
  #5321
Lives for gear
 
Hokut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
This is amusing on GS.. and even more amusing on a modular thread. They call it 'eurocrack' for a good reason (that I've recently found out..)
"-)
Yeah there is the danger one ends up collecting modules like pokemons
1
Share
Old 12th September 2017
  #5322
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
This is why I've begged for a modular subform. I don't feel safe starting threads related to modular in the hate fest that is the EM forum. All you ever get is crap.
Lol... try admitting that you're a DJ on GS sometime if you really want to see the pitchforks come out!

Personally, I couldn't really care less about the "hate", but this thread is entirely impractical which I why I also keep bringing up the issue too. While the (mostly) friendly "chat" in here is nice, and I'd actually feel that even with a modular subforum this thread should continue, in terms of information organization and reference its pretty useless, to the point where I actually find myself deliberately not contributing.

When I first started collecting gear I ended up joining GS, because no matter what toy I searched for, there seemed to be a dedicated thread on here with solid information that had gradually been added to and updated over months or years. Wish the same were true for modules...
Old 12th September 2017
  #5323
Quote:
Originally Posted by butter View Post
Lol... try admitting that you're a DJ on GS sometime if you really want to see the pitchforks come out!

Personally, I couldn't really care less about the "hate", but this thread is entirely impractical which I why I also keep bringing up the issue too. While the (mostly) friendly "chat" in here is nice, and I'd actually feel that even with a modular subforum this thread should continue, in terms of information organization and reference its pretty useless, to the point where I actually find myself deliberately not contributing.

When I first started collecting gear I ended up joining GS, because no matter what toy I searched for, there seemed to be a dedicated thread on here with solid information that had gradually been added to and updated over months or years. Wish the same were true for modules...
We could have module threads with a subforum, that's one of the main things I would love about it. As is everything else modular related here gets lost or destroyed...
3
Share
Old 12th September 2017
  #5324
Gear Head
 

I just ordered a DIY turing as my first project, will this be difficult?
1
Share
Old 12th September 2017
  #5325
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidCity View Post
I just ordered a DIY turing as my first project, will this be difficult?
not a hard build but there's some questionable pcb's circulating - where if you run into problems, the more you work the board, the worse it gets. The working theory on the cause of the problems are PCB microfractures from "over hearing", where even if you do use a temp controlled soldering gun you can still get broken traces...
1
Share
Old 12th September 2017
  #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
We could have module threads with a subforum, that's one of the main things I would love about it. As is everything else modular related here gets lost or destroyed...
Anyone can start any thread they want. I can't remember a mod moving a separate Euro module discussion to this (rambling) thread.
1
Share
Old 12th September 2017
  #5327
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
not a hard build but there's some questionable pcb's circulating - where if you run into problems, the more you work the board, the worse it gets. The working theory on the cause of the problems are PCB microfractures from "over hearing", where even if you do use a temp controlled soldering gun you can still get broken traces...
Nice, well fingers crossed mine isn't a bad one circulating, with my luck it probably is though lol
Old 12th September 2017
  #5328
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Anyone can start any thread they want. I can't remember a mod moving a separate Euro module discussion to this (rambling) thread.
That's not what I meant. I mean that modular-related threads just get swallowed up by the size of the EM board. I randomly found modular threads I've never seen before a few times when I accidentally clicked 10 pages back or so on the main board. Then there's the "discussions" about modular outside this thread. you know as well as me that the trolls won't last a serious modular discussion exist outside of this thread. You've gotten caught up in them just like me.

I'm saying that if there was a modular sub the threads wouldn't get sucked up into the ether before we all see them. And that trolls would be less likely too. Just my opinion in the end but I stand by the sub as a good idea
2
Share
Old 12th September 2017
  #5329
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by butter View Post
Lol... try admitting that you're a DJ on GS sometime if you really want to see the pitchforks come out!

Personally, I couldn't really care less about the "hate", but this thread is entirely impractical which I why I also keep bringing up the issue too. While the (mostly) friendly "chat" in here is nice, and I'd actually feel that even with a modular subforum this thread should continue, in terms of information organization and reference its pretty useless, to the point where I actually find myself deliberately not contributing.

When I first started collecting gear I ended up joining GS, because no matter what toy I searched for, there seemed to be a dedicated thread on here with solid information that had gradually been added to and updated over months or years. Wish the same were true for modules...
I totally agree on it being impractical. It is true that we could start threads for specific modules but they would be lost Roland hype/software vs. hardware/moan zone threads very quickly. Modular users are a quiet minority on GS which is why we are where we are. I understand the mods reluctance to create a modular sub because modulars ARE electronic instruments and it's not like 500 series folks have their own sub. They all go in high end. But I think this is one of the reasons we see less engagement by modular designers as well compared to muffs where it's not uncommon to see many of them. Their comments just get lost in the chat.
2
Share
Old 12th September 2017
  #5330
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I totally agree on it being impractical. It is true that we could start threads for specific modules but they would be lost Roland hype/software vs. hardware/moan zone threads very quickly. Modular users are a quiet minority on GS which is why we are where we are. I understand the mods reluctance to create a modular sub because modulars ARE electronic instruments and it's not like 500 series folks have their own sub. They all go in high end. But I think this is one of the reasons we see less engagement by modular designers as well compared to muffs where it's not uncommon to see many of them. Their comments just get lost in the chat.
My sentiments exactly. This thread is awesome, but disseminating any real info here and expecting someone to try and find it later is hogwarsh. When I search for info about modules on Google it inevitable leads me to Muffwiggler, not here. A lot of folks say "well, go there and be there then"- I don't really like it there personally, the community here (on this thread anyway) is more my style.

With the recent exponential proliferation of modular, you'd think the gods of Gearslutz would want a piece of that clickbait. Stuck in this infantile form the discussion is essentially a social blog/hangout like a facebook group, where once the feed goes too far nobody cares (including Google) and it's just gone.

And yeah we get less modular makers and users here because of it. The 500 series argument is bunko- they should have their own sub too, period (I had no idea they didn't, that is redick). I've already pointed out really lame subs that already exist here where threads on the first page are weeks and months old. Our sub would never be neglected like that, and would need far less moderation than any other forum here I bet.
4
Share
Old 12th September 2017
  #5331
So +1 for Analogue Haven. Shawn emailed me back about the availability of a couple modules I am looking for in exactly 30 minutes, even though he didn't have either of them.
Old 12th September 2017
  #5332
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
So +1 for Analogue Haven. Shawn emailed me back about the availability of a couple modules I am looking for in exactly 30 minutes, even though he didn't have either of them.
Shawn is great to deal with. Analogue Haven is definitely solid.
Old 13th September 2017
  #5333
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
TL;DR: Hai guise! My name is DERP and I'm a perpetual modular noob!

Sorry my absence from this site ended up being way longer than expected. Moving to a new house ended up taking more out of me than I planned physically, emotionally, and financially. I figured since I was even worse off than I was before the move, I'd take the time to work on myself a bit. I've had panic disorder and become an agoraphobe over the course of the last decade or so, so I tweaked my meds and started venturing out of my comfort zone. No skydiving this time because I'm too damn fat, but I've finally started doing things like... going to the next town over. Unexciting as that sounds, that was a big accomplishment for me and has lead me to drive out of state to meet friends, and accepting the opportunity to take a course in Dallas next week that will help my career tremendously. I'm hoping to take my first plane trip in well over a decade early next year.

Outside of that, I finished up the final revisions to a novel I wrote earlier this year, and that ended up turning into my first published book. I'm really proud of myself there just for the fact that so many people say they're going to write a book, but few of them ever actually follow through with it. Regardless of how sales figures end up turning out, at least I can say I did it. It was way more difficult than I thought it was going to be (editing blows), but I had a ton of researching and writing it. I'm pulling an L Ron Hubbard and am working on a soundtrack to the book before I start bringing the whole package to the label and start promoting for it. I've got a 'first draft' soundtrack finished that's all modular soundscapes with each piece comprising the tone of each chapter, but I want to try something a bit more listenable for non-beardstrokers before taking it to the label. If anyone's interested, that book is here, In the Absence of God and is available in paperback and Kindle formats.

Back on topic, I told myself I wouldn't be able to post in this thread until I started purchasing modular again. Purchases are going to be slow starting off as I'm still paying off the last of my debts, but I started out by getting these:


42u Rack. This is going to be for the DotCom system to slot into, and I'll use the racks the DotCom currently lives in to expand my Eurocrack.


Two more uZeus's because I need more power to make my dreams not be dreams anymore.


Two more of these because I like having places to stick my modules.

And because I couldn't resist, I got two more from Noise Reap just to satiate my gear boner:


Loafers because I never seem to have enough LFO's and especially love when they've got CV control over speed, and ISD because I love lofi sampling so very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Maybe Derp lost interest. I mean, the quality of threads and posters is slowly diminishing over time. Plus the anti-modular bias is unreal here, just stupid. What boutique next??? How about a fvcking boutique dumpster to throw them all in so they can go to the boutique landfill?
EMI&EMP is a much more active subforum than it was when I first arrived on GS. With that, as with popular music, crap will always float to the top *cough*Deadmau5*cough*. Part of the reason I don't venture far outside of this thread is because yeah, I'm mostly a modular slut, but also because I just don't have the energy, time, or inclination to keep up with what's going on anymore. I feel like I don't fit in on Muff's though, so here I remain.

That being said, if I were making more music and doing less gearslutting, I'd have one each of those Boutiques. I had the JX03, JU06, and JP08 for a time and, heresy I know, I thought they sounded identical to the originals that I had back in the day. They're not analog, but Roland nailed it with ACB and slapping a ton of knobs on those little boxes. This doesn't mean I'm not scratching my head at the D50 Boutique, though. I really don't understand why they took one of their most complex synth engines, reissued it, and didn't make it a little easier to navigate. But I'd still have that one in the collection so I can make some 90's style industrial.

Also I know this was a few pages back but dude, get Ornament + Crime. It's very simple to navigate, and honestly I like just leaving it in one mode for days or even weeks at a time. The quad LFO is great, the Turing Machines are a lot of fun, and the quantizers really help to keep melodies glued together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
GS is gas central. and it's not sustainable to keep buying gear and buying and buying. at a certain point you've got to start making music or you turn into a joke even by gs standards. eh.
This is where I'm at and the fate I accepted. My musical output isn't near what it used to be, but I really enjoy synthesizing, so I keep the modular alive because of it. I am the butt of my own joke. How many Derps is your modular at?
9
Share
Old 13th September 2017
  #5334
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidCity View Post
Want a 6u chaos IDM glitch drum rack


https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/486022

What's missing? Is anything redundant?
What would you take out // add?

I want nothing more than these types of drums that Richard Devine can make, they are the most beautiful complex glitch beats in the known universe.

Helppp please and thanks
I know this is an old post, but I lurve me some glitch so thought I'd add my two cents: 2hp Freez. It's a one-trick pony, but it's a very good trick, it's cheap, and it's small. Also if you can get some weirdly clocked S&H going into granular effects, you can get some nice glitches. Freez and a crazy clocked Clouds are doing the heavy lifting on this bit I threw together:



Also, my 'so easy that it feels like cheating module' is the Roland Scooper. It's big and takes a god-awful amount of juice, but feed the type and depth controls with some wacky modulation, and it spits out magic. 1:30 in this video is a good example of the Scooper going crazy:

2
Share
Old 13th September 2017
  #5335
Lives for gear
 

Nice to see you back, Derp. Sounds like things are moving right along.

Congratulations regarding your book and other more personal successes.

That new 42U rack is so Derpy.
2
Share
Old 13th September 2017
  #5336
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
the DivKid E352 demo is amazing
No kidding. That's an impressive module, that I'd never heard of before a few days ago. Sort of reminds me of a partial Pro 2.
Old 13th September 2017
  #5337
Gear Maniac
 
Strawberry's Avatar
Welcome back
1
Share
Old 13th September 2017
  #5338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
TL;DR:
Outside of that, I finished up the final revisions to a novel I wrote earlier this year, and that ended up turning into my first published book.
I totally get it because I am one of those ppl who has 10 book ideas, all the time in the world, and zero motivation to go through with it, so good job.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Part of the reason I don't venture far outside of this thread is because yeah, I'm mostly a modular slut, but also because I just don't have the energy, time, or inclination to keep up with what's going on anymore. I feel like I don't fit in on Muff's though, so here I remain.
Same for me, pretty much exactly. Muffs feels pretentious, like they not only live up to but embrace the typical stereotypes about modular and modular users which just don't apply to me. Ok I have a beard, but that's it. Oh wait, I also drive an Outback dammit. Aaaaand I live in Portland. Well, so much for that line of thought I'm a friggin hipster, send me down the river to Muffs. Or don't since the few posts I have made are either ignored or responded to by people I already know from here, so what's the point?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I know this was a few pages back but dude, get Ornament + Crime. It's very simple to navigate, and honestly I like just leaving it in one mode for days or even weeks at a time. The quad LFO is great, the Turing Machines are a lot of fun, and the quantizers really help to keep melodies glued together.
To each his own but I just don't do DIY. Somebody else needs to build it so they can fix it after I break it. Otherwise I am stuck with a piece of junk. I probably can't count on @BenDayho to buy all my broken modules.

Plus I finally RTFM'ed the quantizer I already have (uScale II) and it's a beast, and absolute monster. At the beginning of modular I let go of a few modules before I got to know them completely (i.e. Piston Honda you opportunistic bastard) and now I don't do that anymore. I've owned the uScale for years and just learned how to really use it in the last 3 months...but I finally got around to it. I also changed my grandiose plan into something with more modules I already have that will cost less to complete and be done faster-

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/509901
All I have left to get now is-



Welcome back. We managed without you, but you were missed.
1
Share
Old 13th September 2017
  #5339
Yes we NEED a seperate modular subforum
I don't like dividing our forum up in different parts, whenever there's a hype (EDM a couple years ago) but I firmly believe modular is here to stay and will even grow.
8
Share
Old 13th September 2017
  #5340
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Yes we NEED a seperate modular subforum
I don't like dividing our forum up in different parts, whenever there's a hype (EDM a couple years ago) but I firmly believe modular is here to stay and will even grow.
I think the fad regarding modular is about done with but even so, there's a lot of us sticking it out, so I agree it's here to stay. You go on Muff's and there's not nearly as many 'getting out of modular' sales as there used to be.
1
Share
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump