The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 7th September 2017
Hello All,

I have been using a Wogglebug to randomly sequence slices with a MN Morphagene. Now I am looking for a module to do some basic slice sequencing. I do have a MI Yarns but while great for pitch sequencing, it would be a pain to program the slices 303 style. I am assuming a Rene would do the job but was curious if there might be some more inexpensive options that utilize less HP. Voltage Block? Trigger Riot? Any suggestions would be awesome.
Old 7th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
needs a new pamela's workout, more clock, more % probability (slave it )
needs a O_c, just do it. you don't have to keep it in every mode, just one. just for envelopes it's a beast.
needs more vca, intellijel quad vca
and get the expander for the intellijel quad envelope.
and get a E352 for a huge wavetable pallet
Thanks for the reply.

I might be the exception to the VCA rule/legend as I tend to get things done in my rig and Veils is often unused or only half used...
O C is just too complex. I already sold modules for that reason. I need things to be simple or else I'll forget how and avoid the module. It's just how it goes for me. As for wavetables I use the braids and it's great, good enough for me anyway.

What would you do with Pam and more clocks?
Old 7th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I need things to be simple or else I'll forget how and avoid the module. It's just how it goes for me.
I feel the same way but there are some modules that do complexity right. Peaks has always been that for me. Once I got through the initial learning curve, I can get around the various modes just using my eyes and ears. I've even mostly memorized where the LFO shapes are on the knob which took a while. But due to my frustrations with my TT One I decided to get a Disting against all better judgement.

I don't have a spare miniSD at the moment so I decided I would hold off on the sampler aspect of it and try out the effects. After fiddling around and finally reading the manual I manage to select the mono->stereo reverb and I get no sound. I start messing around with the parameters and somehow end up in calibration mode in which it no longer displays the algorithm selected and has seemingly random numbers and letters. I power cycle my case and I'm still stuck in the mode. I try a bunch of clicks on the encoder and finally end up back in algorithm select with a sigh of relief. I start thinking I have a defective unit but figure I'll check the firmware and it turns out the firmware required for the reverbs is the one after I have installed but I can't update until I get a miniSD which looks like a pretty painless process but requires calibrating afterwards. So you can imagine how much fun I'm having at that point. Finally I decide to just try out the delay and I get it set to ping pong delay. Low and behold the thing actually sounds pretty good and it clocks like a champ from the QCD even when I start messing with the clock divisions. So now I have it configured as a delay and am not looking forward to updating and recalibrating but I've kinda come to peace with it. I mean bang for buck, the thing puts out. I'll see how I feel after trying to get sample loading done. Maybe I'll just stick with the TT One.

TLDR = this is why I usually stay away from complex digital modules.

Old 7th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Yep me too. Nightmares like the one you described are to be avoided. Life is too short.
Old 7th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I feel the same way but there are some modules that do complexity right. Peaks has always been that for me. Once I got through the initial learning curve, I can get around the various modes just using my eyes and ears. I've even mostly memorized where the LFO shapes are on the knob which took a while. But due to my frustrations with my TT One I decided to get a Disting against all better judgement.

I don't have a spare miniSD at the moment so I decided I would hold off on the sampler aspect of it and try out the effects. After fiddling around and finally reading the manual I manage to select the mono->stereo reverb and I get no sound. I start messing around with the parameters and somehow end up in calibration mode in which it no longer displays the algorithm selected and has seemingly random numbers and letters. I power cycle my case and I'm still stuck in the mode. I try a bunch of clicks on the encoder and finally end up back in algorithm select with a sigh of relief. I start thinking I have a defective unit but figure I'll check the firmware and it turns out the firmware required for the reverbs is the one after I have installed but I can't update until I get a miniSD which looks like a pretty painless process but requires calibrating afterwards. So you can imagine how much fun I'm having at that point. Finally I decide to just try out the delay and I get it set to ping pong delay. Low and behold the thing actually sounds pretty good and it clocks like a champ from the QCD even when I start messing with the clock divisions. So now I have it configured as a delay and am not looking forward to updating and recalibrating but I've kinda come to peace with it. I mean bang for buck, the thing puts out. I'll see how I feel after trying to get sample loading done. Maybe I'll just stick with the TT One.

Are you sure about the calibration part? I just updated my Disting Mk3 to the latest firmware and did not need to calibrate it, nor have I had to calibrate it when I have updated the firmware previously, and there's nothing mentioned about calibration in the instructions here: Expert Sleepers disting - Firmware Updates
Old 7th September 2017
Likewise, I prefer more instant modules, with little menu diving.
Having said that, I just bought 'Ornament & Crime' because it seemed like the best quantizer you can buy, and because I want to experiment with the envelope programs.
I haven't tried it yet, but I think if you can learn one program at a time, and keep the wiggling of the parameters to the basics, it shouldn't be too hard to use.
Old 7th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Are you sure about the calibration part? [/url]

Absolutely not sure!

Old 7th September 2017
Lives for gear

Never had to calibrate either of my Distings after updating the firmware.
Old 7th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Never had to calibrate either of my Distings after updating the firmware.
Good to know. When I was flailing around on the internet trying to search how to get out of calibration mode someone was talking about doing it after an update and that is where I must have gotten it into my head.
Old 7th September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
This just arrived. The protective casing was something I had not seen in Eurorack before, figured I'd share.
I have one and it's cool I love it, it's got a huge 808 kick on it when dialed in right, the casing on the back is awesome imo..
Old 8th September 2017
Still messing with the case plan...I had it down to like $1800 worth of modules left to buy then asked you guys for advice and that number shoots up to $3k. I sleep on it and think about it and change the plan yet again to get that number down (running out of stuff to sell) and this is all I can think of now...

Old 8th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DPIPES View Post
Hello All,

I have been using a Wogglebug to randomly sequence slices with a MN Morphagene. Now I am looking for a module to do some basic slice sequencing. I do have a MI Yarns but while great for pitch sequencing, it would be a pain to program the slices 303 style. I am assuming a Rene would do the job but was curious if there might be some more inexpensive options that utilize less HP. Voltage Block? Trigger Riot? Any suggestions would be awesome.
Answering my own question just in case another Morphagene newb is looking for an answer. I am guessing any voltage sequencer will do. I have a SQ1 and while basic, I was able to sequence slices. Not sure how sequencing 300 possible slices per reel would work. Not that I would ever be looking to do that.
Old 8th September 2017
Lives for gear

I picked this case up from an eBay sale for $90. I'm gonna have to update my Derp calculation now. Now I have room for my E352 which hopefully should show up today or tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-img_0606.jpg  
Old 8th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I picked this case up from an eBay sale for $90. I'm gonna have to update my Derp calculation now. Now I have room for my E352 which hopefully should show up today or tomorrow.
E352 show up tomorrow? I ordered mine about 6 weeks ago and says on the website they aren't shipped till 20th September. Have they been released already then? If so I should get mine earlier
Old 8th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
E352 show up tomorrow? I ordered mine about 6 weeks ago and says on the website they aren't shipped till 20th September. Have they been released already then? If so I should get mine earlier
I might know a guy who knows a guy ...
Old 8th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
They are already shipping in the order of order placed. I was like around 200 and was told about Sept. 20th.
Old 9th September 2017
SRT
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFM View Post
And i agree, the dijkstar kick does sound modern, i really really like it. One needs more than one kick module though imho
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I have one and it's cool I love it, it's got a huge 808 kick on it when dialed in right, the casing on the back is awesome imo..
You guys run the dijkstar tk01 dry, or prefer to process? Any specific areas of resonance you tend to eq out?
Old 9th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's first cheap. What case is that?
Old 9th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
That's first cheap. What case is that?
It's a 12u mixer flight case ... The plate on it says EWI Tour Cases. I'd looked for something like this before but was only able to find them in Europe where the shipping costs were either too high or no option for shipping to the states.
Old 9th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good to know. When I was flailing around on the internet trying to search how to get out of calibration mode someone was talking about doing it after an update and that is where I must have gotten it into my head.
Well after buying a defective SD card which would just get really hot to the touch and never show up on the pc I just put the update on my TT One SD and it worked perfectly. I don't know how I would know if it was not calibrated (maybe the VCOs?) but I'm just going to leave it as is. The reverb is kind meh but I like the clocked delays. Not too excited about returning the stupid SD but I should able to get some samples loaded soon.
Old 9th September 2017
Lives for gear

Saw this posted by Make Noise today. I like it.

Old 9th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
You guys run the dijkstar tk01 dry, or prefer to process? Any specific areas of resonance you tend to eq out?
I run it dry and just occasionaly put it through a channel strip, push the gain and cut some highs.
Old 10th September 2017
Lives for gear

These two from KnobCon really struck me as well-conceived: WDM's Chimera, and the Audio Elephant Natural Gate (LPG).
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-img_1151.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-img_1150.jpg  
Old 10th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That module (E352) has some fairly elaborate engineering underneath - was quite impressed, and it's on my list. (Black version shown below.)

At one point, Marc Doty, Tom Oberheim, and another sales rep (whose name escapes me) were all standing around the Synthesis Technology stand at KnobCon.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-img_1156.jpg  
Old 10th September 2017
Here for the gear
News

Someone asked for Wavetables, many among us like MI Braids but what about this new from Intellijel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=8am9sg-c4ew
Old 10th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaofisher View Post
Someone asked for Wavetables, many among us like MI Braids but what about this new from Intellijel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=8am9sg-c4ew
There are no wavetables used in Plonk as far as i can see.. Its closer to the MI Elements rather than Braids, i guess?
Old 10th September 2017
Quote:

ouch! I'd contact Make Noise, see what they can do to help (maybe update and calibrate for you)

I'll stick to The Harvestman digital stuff. It's supposed to be bonkers.
Old 10th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
There are no wavetables used in Plonk as far as i can see.. Its closer to the MI Elements rather than Braids, i guess?
Yes both are physical modeling rather than wavetables. I can get close to most of the Plonk sounds that have been demoed with Rings. Plonk sounds a little more hifi to my ears but Rings allows for external exciters allows it to be used as a kind of effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
ouch!...
I got it sorted. It was all user error and bad luck.
Old 10th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddever View Post
That module (E352) has some fairly elaborate engineering underneath - was quite impressed, and it's on my list. (Black version shown below.)

At one point, Marc Doty, Tom Oberheim, and another sales rep (whose name escapes me) were all standing around the Synthesis Technology stand at KnobCon.
Sorry if it's already been posted but the DivKid E352 demo is amazing. I've never used any of the Synthesis Technology modules but at the very least I'm going to try and pick up a used E350 as people upgrade. These videos are making me want to go straight to the E352 though.

Old 10th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes both are physical modeling rather than wavetables. I can get close to most of the Plonk sounds that have been demoed with Rings. Plonk sounds a little more hifi to my ears but Rings allows for external exciters allows it to be used as a kind of effect.

I got it sorted. It was all user error and bad luck.
Plonk and Rings are different beasts, especially if you use Rings the right way with an external exciter. Plonk is a percussion modeling synth, though it does have some string models. I haven't dug into my Plonk too much yet, but the presets it ships with aren't very good, they lean very heavily on percussion sounds ... Sort of like what you'd get from a Nord Drum 3. My hope it to pull something a bit more melodic out of it.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search