The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 31st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
that muther****er looks amazing, why is it that a lot of DIY projects look ten times better than anything commercially available.. that is a synth that looks like a bloody synth, not like this AIRA and boutique nonsense..
One man*, one vision versus cost driven development process in industry corps.

But one mans vision things can be butt ugly too. See Maths for example.

*woman too ofc
Old 31st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsapo2001 View Post
I am keeping my setup simple. One Pittsburgh Foundation 3 and a Moog modular 15. That should cover all my needs.
Your obviously not a needy person
Old 31st August 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
I've been keeping my eyes peeled waiting for Doepfer to release their 168hp 9U low cost monster case that was announce winter namm 2017

and today I see they've updated their price list and it's due out in September.
A-100LMS9 Low Cost Monster Case Single Version raw 168HP/9U, 100-240V, PSU3 neu/new (~ September 2017)
850€

850€ wtf guys. I might as well just buy two 84hp 9U cases for 350€ each (actually 333€ at thomann). the whole point of going big is to reduce the cost.

672hp expanding to 1176hp... omg my wife is going to kill me.
& I guess I don't have to wait till September before getting more case
Exactly what i think !

When Low Cost Monster Case Single Version black coated is only 40€ less vs the Monster Case Single Version 168HP/9U ... I really don't understand the "Low Cost" ?!

Old 31st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
As for finding examples of these techniques in electronic music, they are so many I wouldn’t know where to begin.
Sometimes friends ask me theory/composition questions and I no longer bother speaking a word. Just send them to the Bernstein lectures:

I had not seen them until well after my formal years. 20th century composition, my true love!
Old 31st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
So is this a bit like the karl marx stat ?
Remove the panels and both are exactly the same underneath, their both the guts of a doepfer DIY synth.

So that Motherf*cker19 looks Awesome but will sound very average.
Old 1st September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Some new modules that came yesterday, I must say I'm very impressed with the EMW stuff, really well made and heavy to hold...
What make you choose TT ONE as sample player, and not any of the other choices (Bitbox, etc.)? I find it rather expensive for what it does, but it doesnt take much space. May be i miss something?

ANd how happy are you with the 808 emulations on braids in your drum rack? I consider to take it in my drum rack as well.
Old 1st September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
What make you choose TT ONE as sample player, and not any of the other choices (Bitbox, etc.)? I find it rather expensive for what it does, but it doesnt take much space. May be i miss something?

ANd how happy are you with the 808 emulations on braids in your drum rack? I consider to take it in my drum rack as well.
I have 2 Tip Top Ones, I chose them because they fit the gaps I had in my drum modular case and because they can be used to load any one shot sounds I choose to drop to the card. My entire large 9U case is dedicated to drums only and it sounds sick.. I've done loads of recordings of just drums from it lately and the combination of 808 and 909 sounds with Linn drum and 606 and DMX stuff that comes pre loaded on the EMW stuff gives you so so much freedom and creative flow.. I am so totally sorted for drums now with the Digitakt sitting in front of the drum case all sync'd up nicely..sounds so good with the Leipzig and Deepmind..
Old 1st September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have 2 Tip Top Ones, I chose them because they fit the gaps I had in my drum modular case and because they can be used to load any one shot sounds I choose to drop to the card. My entire large 9U case is dedicated to drums only and it sounds sick.. I've done loads of recordings of just drums from it lately and the combination of 808 and 909 sounds with Linn drum and 606 and DMX stuff that comes pre loaded on the EMW stuff gives you so so much freedom and creative flow.. I am so totally sorted for drums now with the Digitakt sitting in front of the drum case all sync'd up nicely..sounds so good with the Leipzig and Deepmind..
Yea, i am tinkering with my own drum station at the moment. Thats why i took a closer look at yours )or at least the screenshot you posted).

I only have 6U/84 space for it, and Maschine has to suffice as sequencer/sampler for now. So i am mainly looking for sound-modules and utilities.

EMW Digi and T-Drum are are already set, so is Braids.

What would you consider crucial?
Old 1st September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yea, i am tinkering with my own drum station at the moment. Thats why i took a closer look at yours )or at least the screenshot you posted).

I only have 6U/84 space for it, and Maschine has to suffice as sequencer/sampler for now. So i am mainly looking for sound-modules and utilities.

have you checked out the Dbldecca or Dodeca?
looks like the new best to interface for drum sequencing from a midi machine!

Old 1st September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
No i didnt. Never heard of it before. Looks like something very interesting for my purpose. Thanks for pointing it out
Old 1st September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I also have one and I'm about ready to give up on it. It sounds great at 96kHz and the latency is fantastic so it's a shame it's not working out for me but I can't get sample selection to work with the BSP without a lot of workarounds and the real deal breaker is that it does not remember what sample you have selected on power cycles. I have over 100 custom samples on my card. Scrolling through all of them to get back to the one I was using before powering off is a total hassle to put it lightly.

I should have a volca sample and a disting mk4 waiting for me at FedEx when I get off work. Neither is going to be as hifi as the ONE but disting does stereo samples and also does clock based playback that I'm excited to play with. I'm also curious to try out the reverb and delays but I'm mainly thinking I'll just use it for sample playback. The latest BSP update included native support for the weird volca midi set up so if it works as they say I may just use that which would free up the disting to do all the other stuff it does.
Old 2nd September 2017
Quote:

A Basimilus Iteritas Alter.
I also have a Moffenzeef GMO, which is a fiddle of a sampler, but the lo-fi sound and punchy drums it loads are all excellent.
Old 2nd September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:

Braids has a really nice snare sound, and I know it's a waste but I use it for that one sound a lot, put through the AMSynths jupiter 8 filter it sounds really nice.. the EMW stuff is just great for experimenting with mixing and matching drum sounds, it's so quick, you can build complete hybrid kits when you have enough modules of varying drum sounds.. 909 hats, 808 snare, Mutant kick, 606 hats etc
Old 2nd September 2017
Gear Guru

the two basimilus modules, V1 and V2 are insanely cool sounding modules.. I have version 1 and I will use it in everything I do, it has such a great percussion sound.. send cv to all the outputs at once and you can make it sound like 3 or 4 different drum sounds at once in a sequence..
Old 2nd September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:

cool vid actually a bit interesting for once..
Old 2nd September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmm i am pondering wether this only works for OT or with any Midi sequencer. I wouldnt have it in me to program the thing myself.

May be some more choices will come up on Github.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
A Basimilus Iteritas Alter.
I also have a Moffenzeef GMO, which is a fiddle of a sampler, but the lo-fi sound and punchy drums it loads are all excellent.
Thanks for this hint. BIA will make it into it.
Old 3rd September 2017
Gear Addict

Interested in SDS RIT_M!!!!

It is a 4HP module that can sync to your clocks, or create a clock, and generate a rhythm by just tapping it in.

SDS-RIT_M

Nice for my small case......

Old 4th September 2017
Gear Addict

I put together a jam demo vid, using mostly modular for the synths.
Drums are Machinedrum.
Techno. I hope some of you can dig it.

Old 4th September 2017
Lives for gear

Can anyone help me to understand power and headroom a bit better? I am closing in on the last few modules for my Mantis case which has ample power, but I still have a HEK and spare 3U kicking around. Just for fun I put together a ramshod Doepfer 6U tonight with basically a voice and some other things I could use with my Mantis, which you can see here: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/424059

My question is this: I see this rack would take 410mA of the -12V rail. The uZeus supplies 500mA on the -12V rail, and while I know there's a beefier power supply for the uZeus to my understanding it only impacts the +12V rail. I feel like I've read that it's best not to go beyond half of the voltage on any side, and thus I'm wondering if this rack would be underpowered with a standard uZeus. This was just a first pass for fun with a single manufacturer so I'll refine it later, but before doing so I thought it wise to get input from the community at large.
Old 4th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Can anyone help me to understand power and headroom a bit better? I am closing in on the last few modules for my Mantis case which has ample power, but I still have a HEK and spare 3U kicking around. Just for fun I put together a ramshod Doepfer 6U tonight with basically a voice and some other things I could use with my Mantis, which you can see here: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/424059

My question is this: I see this rack would take 410mA of the -12V rail. The uZeus supplies 500mA on the -12V rail, and while I know there's a beefier power supply for the uZeus to my understanding it only impacts the +12V rail. I feel like I've read that it's best not to go beyond half of the voltage on any side, and thus I'm wondering if this rack would be underpowered with a standard uZeus. This was just a first pass for fun with a single manufacturer so I'll refine it later, but before doing so I thought it wise to get input from the community at large.
Unless you've got some crazy stuff in that row, a uZues should be able to handle 6u pretty easily.
Old 5th September 2017
Some fun from the other night-

More to come, live drummer in the future as well.
Old 5th September 2017
Gear Head

Drum rack

Want a 6u chaos IDM glitch drum rack

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/486022

What's missing? Is anything redundant?
What would you take out // add?

I want nothing more than these types of drums that Richard Devine can make, they are the most beautiful complex glitch beats in the known universe.

Helppp please and thanks
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidCity View Post

I want nothing more than these types of drums that Richard Devine can make, they are the most beautiful complex glitch beats in the known universe.

Helppp please and thanks
Euclidian Circles is probably redundant with Pamela's. Loose the Mysteron and get something simple like a Dixie or EMW Alias for making kicks (I love the Alias for that). A Pico Drum or one of the EMW Drum Sample modules would also be a handy addition as would be a hats modules with CV control. The BIA really loves to have a Voltage Block paired with it.

That said, glitch drums is all about clocks. You'll probably want a Doepfer A-160-5 on top of Pamela's so you don't burn all of Pamela's CV's inputs. I'd also add a addressable switch, something like a Doepfer A-150.

My personal, "secret" weapons for doing this type of stuff is a Disting in clocked sample playback mode for drum loops, and a 2hp Freez. Peaks with DMC and Pulse Randomiser is also really nice as is Clouds with the Kammerl Beat-Repeat firmware.
Old 5th September 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Euclidian Circles is probably redundant with Pamela's. Loose the Mysteron and get something simple like a Dixie or EMW Alias for making kicks (I love the Alias for that). A Pico Drum or one of the EMW Drum Sample modules would also be a handy addition as would be a hats modules with CV control. The BIA really loves to have a Voltage Block paired with it.

That said, glitch drums is all about clocks. You'll probably want a Doepfer A-160-5 on top of Pamela's so you don't burn all of Pamela's CV's inputs. I'd also add a addressable switch, something like a Doepfer A-150.

My personal, "secret" weapons for doing this type of stuff is a Disting in clocked sample playback mode for drum loops, and a 2hp Freez. Peaks with DMC and Pulse Randomiser is also really nice as is Clouds with the Kammerl Beat-Repeat firmware.
You sir, deserve a beer, thank you for your thoughtful response
Old 5th September 2017
Gear Head

Quote:

+1 on the clock multiplier.
I heard from several sources that mysteron is a must for a certain type of glitch sound idk.
I love this chaos clock theme
I may end up just getting variagate 8 and a voltage block combo, seems like what they can do together can't be matched. Or Should I maybe just get the voltage block instead of variagate?

Between the Variagate 8 and a voltage block and pams with the doepfer multiplier, I'll have triggers/gates/clocks for days,
I also forgot to mention I have a maschine for kicks snares and the basics, I would need a midi syncing module to be able to keep my maschine synced with a simple clock rhythm. Maschine is indispensable when it comes to eurorack I'm not sure why more don't use it. Obviously the lack of cv and all that but, great interface and has a sequencer. I just want all that glitz grammar and dirt glitching chaos ontop
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
+1 on the clock multiplier.
I heard from several sources that mysteron is a must for a certain type of glitch sound idk.
I love this chaos clock theme
I may end up just getting variagate 8 and a voltage block combo, seems like what they can do together can't be matched.

Between the Variagate 8 and a voltage block and pams with the doepfer multiplier, I'll have triggers/gates/clocks for days,
I also forgot to mention I have a maschine for kicks snares and the basics, I would need a midi syncing module to be able to keep my maschine synced with a simple clock rhythm. Maschine is indispensable when it comes to eurorack I'm not sure why more don't use it. Obviously the lack of cv and all that but, great interface and has a sequencer. I just want all that glitz grammar and dirt glitching chaos ontop
I get what you mean. I use an Analog Rtym with my rack (trying to stay away from the computer). I have a Ladin Trigger to MIDI module that allow me to set up a core pattern on the AR, then add spice on top of it from the Modular, usually via grids or a multiplier going through a switch. I also have an ER-301 that can function as an input and and processor, but haven't tried much of that yet.

BTW, did you guys see that the new AR will have two CV inputs? Very tempting.
Old 5th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Some fun from the other night-

More to come, live drummer in the future as well.
.....and from the Netherlands 12 points....uhmm..very nice!!!
Old 5th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:

Helppp please and thanks
Hey, that is kind of the same case I am 'building'. Slightly different, and some different modules with the same type of function (no Maths and Plonk but Tides and Rings instead).
So thanks for your question ....And thanks for the answers void23
Next to the A-150, I was also thinking of a MI bernoulli gate for my rack. Simple, but very usefull imo.....or is there a better option for the bernoulli gate?
Also, does the the SSF toolbox (and MI Kinks) make any sense with PNW, A-150, bernoulli gate and the drums?(Next to the 'normal' type of modules like LFO, ENV, filter etc.). I really like to know. Looks like fun to me.......
Old 5th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
BTW, did you guys see that the new AR will have two CV inputs? Very tempting.
I know that a drumrack can cost you a lot of money (not always....most of the modules I am planning to buy or that I allready have, are also for the two-voice in the same rack. So when I add a dedicated drummodule like Dinky Taiko I have a little drummachine and two-voice in one 6U rack), but hey the AR is really expensive .
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT75 View Post
Hey, that is kind of the same case I am 'building'. Slightly different, and some different modules with the same type of function (no Maths and Plonk but Tides and Rings instead).
So thanks for your question ....And thanks for the answers void23
Next to the A-150, I was also thinking of a MI bernoulli gate for my rack. Simple, but very usefull imo.....or is there a better option for the bernoulli gate?
Also, does the the SSF toolbox (and MI Kinks) make any sense with PNW, A-150, bernoulli gate and the drums?(Next to the 'normal' type of modules like LFO, ENV, filter etc.). I really like to know. Looks like fun to me.......
In a larger system (or paired with a Pamela's), the A-150 is probably the better choice. You can feed it a S/H with optional offsets to get the Random / Bernoulli function of Branches, or you can just send it gates to flip the switches back and fourth.

As for the WMD Toolbox, Kinks, or any logic module really, they really only work well with gates or CV. Maybe others have had different experiences, but I've had no luck reliably using logic with triggers (i.e. drums ticks). I'd also get a good offset / attenuverter before I got a Kinks, something like a WMD S.P.O. On the other hand, for it's price and size, Kinks is a good noise source and S/H ... great for doing hats or snares with the right filters.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search