The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 25th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
I've been keeping my eyes peeled waiting for Doepfer to release their 168hp 9U low cost monster case that was announce winter namm 2017

and today I see they've updated their price list and it's due out in September.
A-100LMS9 Low Cost Monster Case Single Version raw 168HP/9U, 100-240V, PSU3 neu/new (~ September 2017)
850€

850€ wtf guys. I might as well just buy two 84hp 9U cases for 350€ each (actually 333€ at thomann). the whole point of going big is to reduce the cost.

672hp expanding to 1176hp... omg my wife is going to kill me.
& I guess I don't have to wait till September before getting more case
I feel your pain. I am expanding from 504 to 840hp at some point, but putting it off as long as possible really. I have the non-low cost version of this case, with the covering, metal ends and corners etc. It was something like $1350. It leaves the house occasionally so it was worth it in that regard. It's almost full now too, something like 84hp to go. So now I am thinking about the base case and it's also $1300. When my current case fills up (a month or so) I hope to be playing out and will be recording (I'm always doing that) so the plan is to just stick with this size system for a while and get really comfortable with it. But once that itch needs scratchin' I'll be looking at my Octatrack, Slim Phat, Virus Snow and Panorama (none of which have been touched in months) to feed the need...
Old 25th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
A test track that came out as I was onn First hands-n with the Eloquencer

was not going to upload it as it is rough but hey... whatever
I like the tune, and grats on Eloquencer. Hey man what's your take on the Future Retro Transient? I see it's in the case but not patched up for this tune. Do you like it? I'm thinking about getting one...
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Tuesday, it depends on what you're after. I like the Saiko algorithms myself. It's a bit like Grids in that you can get close, but just need to give in and let it do its things. I'm probably using mine in about 90% of my patches in combo with O_C; with that combo it's sort of like a Turing Machine with music theory constraints.

As for the AR, did you have it when 1.3 came out? I'm not into the FM engines, but I've had it long enough that I can dial in just about anything I'm looking for. If you were relying mainly on the presets I could understand not liking it.
Yeah I was on 1.3 for the AR. Still sounded weak.

Nerobellum samples into the Digitakt and add some Oto Biscuit and Eventide Space.... Bliss.
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I like the tune, and grats on Eloquencer. Hey man what's your take on the Future Retro Transient? I see it's in the case but not patched up for this tune. Do you like it? I'm thinking about getting one...

Hi, thanks.

I used the Transient for the first time yesterday for about half hour. I got it to try and complement the Mutant Bass Drum and Snare and the AS HH88. It has plenty of samples, 2CVs inputs with attenuators, two manual Knobs, each preset can be made of two voices but of course out of one single output. It comes in a small package and should be useful when using a smaller more portable rig I have the intention to use for smaller jams.

As I said I only used it for half hour and first impression is “I need to spend more time with it to form a fairer opinion”

The output could be louder. But that could be down to have to edit the presets.

The first time I touched, in use, I was not impressed with the knobs. Visually they look like they are metal sturdy knobs with a rubberised ring for you to grip on. But in use, you get this immediate feel of cheap, light, plasticky knobs. All 5 knobs are light plastic, all plastic including the dark ring. Also, all 5 knobs, when you rotate them, they do not rotate perfectly around the middle axis, they move off axis… BUT the good thing is, the knobs do not wobble, so in the end, they were not as bad as the first touch-feel impression.

Indeed, in the end, the four upper knobs are ok.
If anything, the lower main editing knob should have been of higher quality. It is a Push-Knob. You rotate to select a preset or a parameter within a preset then Push the knob in to confirm/access that selection. Because the knob is a bit light, sometimes, when you touch it to push it in, it moves (by mistake) and it changes to next preset or parameter instead confirming your current selection, so it gives a bit of a fiddly feeling when editing. Not all the times though, I think I can get used to it

In terms of features and what you can get out of it, after the first half hour, it felt promising. So, I look forward to spending more time with it and form a more fair opinion. If it ends up sounding great and works well within mixes then I will end up using it a lot.
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear

Somewhat more subtle Motomouth usage.
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I was here for it ...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/44...!4d-117.226372

Some non-musical gear pr0n ...
Very cool!

The totality was pretty close to me.. so a quick 45-minute drive and I got a perfect 2:35min view. Amazing.
Old 25th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
Hi, thanks.

I used the Transient for the first time yesterday for about half hour. I got it to try and complement the Mutant Bass Drum and Snare and the AS HH88. It has plenty of samples, 2CVs inputs with attenuators, two manual Knobs, each preset can be made of two voices but of course out of one single output. It comes in a small package and should be useful when using a smaller more portable rig I have the intention to use for smaller jams.

As I said I only used it for half hour and first impression is “I need to spend more time with it to form a fairer opinion”

The output could be louder. But that could be down to have to edit the presets.

The first time I touched, in use, I was not impressed with the knobs. Visually they look like they are metal sturdy knobs with a rubberised ring for you to grip on. But in use, you get this immediate feel of cheap, light, plasticky knobs. All 5 knobs are light plastic, all plastic including the dark ring. Also, all 5 knobs, when you rotate them, they do not rotate perfectly around the middle axis, they move off axis… BUT the good thing is, the knobs do not wobble, so in the end, they were not as bad as the first touch-feel impression.

Indeed, in the end, the four upper knobs are ok.
If anything, the lower main editing knob should have been of higher quality. It is a Push-Knob. You rotate to select a preset or a parameter within a preset then Push the knob in to confirm/access that selection. Because the knob is a bit light, sometimes, when you touch it to push it in, it moves (by mistake) and it changes to next preset or parameter instead confirming your current selection, so it gives a bit of a fiddly feeling when editing. Not all the times though, I think I can get used to it

In terms of features and what you can get out of it, after the first half hour, it felt promising. So, I look forward to spending more time with it and form a more fair opinion. If it ends up sounding great and works well within mixes then I will end up using it a lot.
Thanks for the info. Do you think simply slapping some different knobs on it would make it feel less "cheap" to use? I know the feeling you are talking about and it's cringeworthy at this point in my journey. I've managed to avoid it in my case so far, trying to keep it that way too.
Old 28th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post

Somewhat more subtle Motomouth usage.
You've got the Funk!!!
High quality output here
Like, like, like!
Old 28th August 2017
Lives for gear

Btw. we still miss @Derp here, right... He was active on this forum 6 days ago.. so, who of you lot upset him so much, he doesnt post? I really wanna see his cases in their new habitat..
Old 28th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Btw. we still miss @Derp here, right... He was active on this forum 6 days ago.. so, who of you lot upset him so much, he doesnt post? I really wanna see his cases in their new habitat..
He actually asked to be temporary banned for a while last year because it was becoming a distraction or something like that. Nothing wrong with unplugging from the internet for a while.

If you're reading this Derp - hope I didnt misrepresent and also hope you are filling your new house with awesome synth jams.
Old 29th August 2017
So, Stepper Acid is pretty much awesome. Great for storing patterns and really really fantastic as a live improv machine. So easy to use. After only a short few jams on it I have most of the functions committed to muscle memory with just a few things left to master. Love it.
Old 29th August 2017
Lives for gear

@Derp We miss you brother!!!
Old 29th August 2017
Colin benders is live streaming right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilgR...j_gGnvOSYTyI-6
Old 29th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, Stepper Acid is pretty much awesome. Great for storing patterns and really really fantastic as a live improv machine. So easy to use. After only a short few jams on it I have most of the functions committed to muscle memory with just a few things left to master. Love it.
I went to Leeds Modular Meet a fortnight ago and was talking to the Girls who make Stepper Acid, they had a small prototype module that hooks up the Stepper Acid to Dsync devices.
Old 29th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
672hp expanding to 1176hp... omg my wife is going to kill me.
& I guess I don't have to wait till September before getting more case
I seen this on Facebook and it summed me up

Old 29th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Its not my business to tell people what he has been up to, but i can say what he has been doing must of been very time consuming hence him not being active on the thread/forum.
Old 29th August 2017
Lives for gear

If you could add only one Envelope generator module to a very unDerpy 120hp kit that's intended to enhance the sonic options (versus be it's own voice/synth) that are available from an Odyssey module, a Minitaur, and an MS20Mini+EnglishTear - the one Envelope to rule them all, so to speak - what Env module would you pick, and why?

I'm interested in both "cost is no object" and "budget friendly" suggestions, as well as "who cares how many HP it is" and "space conscious" options, but I'm only interested in ones with no menu diving, just analog devices with all the necessary knobs and/or sliders and buttons. Realistically, the smallest and cheapest one will likely win, but maybe there's a grail worth the $$$/hp?

Frankly, there are so many modules out there it's almost too much, and it seems like whenever people talk about Envelopes about the only thing they ever say is: oh that's snappy, or not, or ooh it has 5/6 stages rather than a simple ADSR... and admittedly, this is about where my Envelope knowledge ends. What features would the ultimate Env have?

How would you approach this decision, and what would you pick, and why? Thanks.
Old 29th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
If you could add only one Envelope generator module to a very unDerpy 120hp kit that's intended to enhance the sonic options (versus be it's own voice/synth) that are available from an Odyssey module, a Minitaur, and an MS20Mini+EnglishTear - the one Envelope to rule them all, so to speak - what Env module would you pick, and why?

I'm interested in both "cost is no object" and "budget friendly" suggestions, as well as "who cares how many HP it is" and "space conscious" options, but I'm only interested in ones with no menu diving, just analog devices with all the necessary knobs and/or sliders and buttons. Realistically, the smallest and cheapest one will likely win, but maybe there's a grail worth the $$$/hp?

Frankly, there are so many modules out there it's almost too much, and it seems like whenever people talk about Envelopes about the only thing they ever say is: oh that's snappy, or not, or ooh it has 5/6 stages rather than a simple ADSR... and admittedly, this is about where my Envelope knowledge ends. What features would the ultimate Env have?

My approach to envelopes is very straightforward and boring but I get the results I want. I use an Intellijel Quadra for anything simple like triggering a "normal" AD envelope. It's very simple and easy to use. I plan on getting the expander for it soon as that opens up a lot more possibilities. For more complex modulation style envelopes I usually send one side of Maths into the other and mess with it until I like the results. I also have a WMD ADSRVCA, which is a great compact module for simple trigs or looping as well.
Old 29th August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I seen this on Facebook and it summed me up

the spouse has got bigger problems already in that situation me thinks, when the bloke wants to ride his bike instead of....well you know...lol
Old 30th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Maths. It's a freakin beast and can be patched in so many interesting and useful ways. Despite the size I think it's perfect for a small system because of the flexibility. I had only Peaks and Maths for modulation when my system was just one row and it was perfect.
Old 30th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'd go with the Quadra and it's expander, and for fun, maybe add one of those new Erica Synth EG's also. The Erica with it's expander can do some really cool stuff that I have never seen with other euro EG's.

Old 30th August 2017
Mother****er-19
The Modular Thread 2017-motherfucker-19.jpg
https://www.reddit.com/r/synthdiy/co...mgurcoma52urs/

DIY info in description of this video

playlist
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-motherfucker-19_1.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-motherfucker-19.jpg  
Old 30th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh and @maisonvague, the "quantize the quantizer" thing is totally happening. Stepper sends solid half-step intervals out to the uScale, programming shifts and changes will be easy...now to learn music theory...
I'm happy to hear Stepper is working out for you. I fully intend to try out your idea of sequencing my sequencer with it. (Who Watches the Watchers?)

About music theory, just remember a little goes a long way. I would go with modal theory. It's more interesting (and useful) I think for modular work. It's also a natural fit--and partly explains the whole early music/renaissance vibe of a lot of electronic music. The kinds of techniques the early composers used are quite similar to the ways we naturally work with modulars--things such as tuning oscillators to intervals and then transposing them in parallel (faux bourdon); the creation of inadvertent harmony by combining independent melodic lines (counterpoint); or the use of hockets where a single melody is shared between two (or occasionally more) voices such that alternately one voice sounds while the other rests.
Old 30th August 2017
Lives for gear
I am keeping my setup simple. One Pittsburgh Foundation 3 and a Moog modular 15. That should cover all my needs.
Old 30th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
About music theory, just remember a little goes a long way. I would go with modal theory. It's more interesting (and useful) I think for modular work. It's also a natural fit--and partly explains the whole early music/renaissance vibe of a lot of electronic music. The kinds of techniques the early composers used are quite similar to the ways we naturally work with modulars--things such as tuning oscillators to intervals and then transposing them in parallel (faux bourdon); the creation of inadvertent harmony by combining independent melodic lines (counterpoint); or the use of hockets where a single melody is shared between two (or occasionally more) voices such that alternately one voice sounds while the other rests.
Audio examples of each, particularly in the electronic music world, would be sweet... can you think of any examples that might be on YouTube?

Not that your description is unclear or anything, just looking to pair a concrete example with the theory. Thanks in any case. Great tips.
Old 30th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Audio examples of each, particularly in the electronic music world, would be sweet... can you think of any examples that might be on YouTube?
First, the early music examples...

faux bourdon:

hocket:

counterpoint:

Old 30th August 2017
Lives for gear

As for finding examples of these techniques in electronic music, they are so many I wouldn’t know where to begin. Most people use them naturally without knowing any of the theory behind it. So perhaps a good place to look for examples would be in your own music. If you’ve ever doubled a melody simply by adding another voice/oscillator tuned to a different interval (say a major 3rd or a perfect 5th) then you’re doing faux bourdon. The hocket technique is commonly used for percussive/rhythmic grooves, where distinct sounds are spaced such that they pop in and out to create the groove. As for counterpoint, whenever you combine independent melodic lines and a harmony develops inadvertently from the juxtaposition of the pitches sounding together, you are approaching harmony much like an early music composer—that is, accidentally. When pitches don't "sound right" you change them--by ear--adding "accidentals" to make them work. Early music composers were busy still trying to figure things out--much like we are in the modular world!
Old 30th August 2017
Gear Guru

that muther****er looks amazing, why is it that a lot of DIY projects look ten times better than anything commercially available.. that is a synth that looks like a bloody synth, not like this AIRA and boutique nonsense..
Old 30th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
that muther****er looks amazing, why is it that a lot of DIY projects look ten times better than anything commercially available.. that is a synth that looks like a bloody synth, not like this AIRA and boutique nonsense..
Well, this one is because it's just a fancy-ied up Doepfer DIY single osc synth with fewer features and CV I/O than a M32 that cost him 500 Euro and his time to build before he was done.

If the SE02 looked that cool and had that many CV patch points it would be 6-700 rather than $500US, which, personally, I'd rather have and would pay for, but most probably wouldn't.

That one by Artisan, the Ottava or something, looks to be of similar design aesthetics, and in almost the same price range, plus they have voice cards you can add to it. It seems super cool, though no one seems to talk about them much. artisanelectronicinstruments.com
Old 31st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
So is this a bit like the karl marx stat ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
hockets where a single melody is shared between two (or occasionally more) voices such that alternately one voice sounds while the other rests.
I hocket the crap out of my modular. 1 sequence and lots of triggers

Last edited by subdo; 31st August 2017 at 12:31 AM.. Reason: DRUNK
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search