The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear

VCF-74, great module, love the dirty tones I get out of mine. But it cheesed me for a few minutes a few weeks ago when they announced an MK2, like there was something wrong with the original version. F-U guys. Stuff like that makes me weary of buying from them in the future, the looming 'what if they didn't design it right and they'll come out with an MK2 that fixes the bugs?'. but whatever, I do love the one that I've got.
Old 20th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
VCF-74, great module, love the dirty tones I get out of mine. But it cheesed me for a few minutes a few weeks ago when they announced an MK2, like there was something wrong with the original version. F-U guys. Stuff like that makes me weary of buying from them in the future, the looming 'what if they didn't design it right and they'll come out with an MK2 that fixes the bugs?'. but whatever, I do love the one that I've got.
The later Minimoog boards were created as "improvements" to the earlier "flawed" design, but which one fetches more loot now on the open market? Maybe the cork-sniffing conglomerate will insist the original version of this filter is the only "real" one someday...you never know...
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
cork-sniffing conglomerate
Old 20th August 2017
The mk IIs that often come in quick succession is one reason I won't buy from some manufacturers (TBH).
How long has Disting been around, and we are already up to mk 4.
It's ok by me if it's a long term development, but if it's a year or less from the initial release it just feels like the initial release wasn't finished to me.
Old 20th August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post

So I ask him about it, and he turns out to be Eric Hold- Vintage Synth Lab's CEO and engineer.
like his case, that's a really nice one..
Old 20th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
The mk IIs that often come in quick succession is one reason I won't buy from some manufacturers (TBH).
How long has Disting been around, and we are already up to mk 4.
It's ok by me if it's a long term development, but if it's a year or less from the initial release it just feels like the initial release wasn't finished to me.
I agree.....sort of. But eurorack is no exception.
Same case when you buy a television or a washing machine. Is there a brand that doesn't come up with mk2 within a few weeks? One year later they have 10 different versions and they are all the same, except tiny improvements, often because of some quality issues. One is called model xyrz1-p, the other one xyrz1-p1, hey and there is the xyrz1-px1........etc
So I guess no more television and washing machines for you
I also think this is not that common (atm) in eurorackland.
Old 20th August 2017
Gear Addict

I have noticed that some uk sellers are selling some modules for far better prices than the stores in The Netherlands ( and than Schneidersladen in Germany) including shipping. Strange thing is that some modules otah are far more expensive in the UK.
Is Juno UK a good place to order my modules? Or Red Dog Music.....

Last edited by TMT75; 20th August 2017 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: Bad English
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT75 View Post
I have noticed that some uk sellers are selling some modules for far better prices than the stores in The Netherlands ( and than Schneidersladen in Germany) including shipping. Strange thing is that some modules otah are far more expensive in the UK.
I have bought modules from Juno a few times already and every time quick delivery (I am in UK)... I think am I have purchased one from Red Dog Music in the past but I am not sure if I did... can't remember
Old 20th August 2017
I've bought from most of the UK dealers and never had a problem, always fast service.
Old 20th August 2017
Quote:
I agree.....sort of. But eurorack is no exception.
Same case when you buy a television or a washing machine. Is there a brand that doesn't come up with mk2 within a few weeks?
Isn't more like yearly, and often the difference is only cosmetic - a different look.

Also, a synth module can cost as much as a washing machine.

Yeah, I know it's not an exception, but I think modular is small customer base, the makers are a small community, so i think it sucks a bit when you buy something and next thing that happens is they bring out a 'new improved' version.
Old 20th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
I have bought modules from Juno a few times already and every time quick delivery (I am in UK)... I think am I have purchased one from Red Dog Music in the past but I am not sure if I did... can't remember
Quote:
I've bought from most of the UK dealers and never had a problem, always fast service.
Thanks. Next purchase will be in the UK.
Old 21st August 2017
My Stepper acid shows up today! If eclipse fever doesn't trigger armageddon/zombie apocalypse it will anyway...
Old 21st August 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Yes but what about taxes and foreign transaction fees?
Sure the final cost is lower?
Have you real free foreign exchange rates?
Old 21st August 2017
First the pound is way down against the Euro (explaining why the UK seems to cheap to you).
Also, inside the European Community there are no import taxes.
Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
First the pound is way down against the Euro (explaining why the UK seems to cheap to you).
Also, inside the European Community there are no import taxes.
In The Netherlands we have 21% VAT.
Practically literally everything is more expensive here than other EU countries.
Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks. Next purchase will be in the UK.
I think I may start shopping at UK dealers as well. For some things, the prices do seem better.
Old 21st August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassX View Post
In The Netherlands we have 21% VAT.
Practically literally everything is more expensive here than other EU countries.
Some modules are more expensive in the UK, some are cheaper. Prices differ a lot....and it is not about a few euro's, especially with bigger orders. Otherwise I would stick to the same dealer.
Old 22nd August 2017

!!! !!! !!! !!!
No seriously
!!!

Holy fvckin cow this thing is amazing. Before this I was having the worst time getting all my other sequencers to sync up and play nice. Stepper was the key. The run/stop out is pure genius...stepper clock out to VCA and then to Grids, stepper run/stop to CV in of and multed to reset on Grids. Now Grids starts and stops when stepper does...brilliant!

I was trying to use the trigger riot as my master clock before but that doesn't work too well when you start not paying attention to what steps and divisions you pick because you end up with wonky ass polymetric blarg to the nth power. Better to reset the blarg machine with grids so it can drive the Z8000 a little less swervy. The only thing left to fully integrate is the QCD, which clocks way faster than any of the other stuff for some reason, I'm gonna end up using a channel just to dumb it down to normal speed.

It's also really killer to be able to play notes on the keyboard. I have the cv out multed so I plug all the oscillators in and tune them up easy. Oh and @maisonvague, the "quantize the quantizer" thing is totally happening. Stepper sends solid half-step intervals out to the uScale, programming shifts and changes will be easy...now to learn music theory...
Old 23rd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Some modules are more expensive in the UK, some are cheaper. Prices differ a lot....and it is not about a few euro's, especially with bigger orders. Otherwise I would stick to the same dealer.
Yes when I am after a module I check prices from shops that are local, in UK, Europe and USA...
Sometime difference is meaningful
Old 23rd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
How did you sequence the chord changes in the bassline? And what was making the sound?

Also...were the drums Depeche mode samples?

The entire track had a Depeche Violator vibe which is my fave era from them. Excellent job. Subbed.
Been away for a little bit to focus on my other, extremely expensive hobby (see the attached image).

As for that video, chord progression came from TINRS Tuesday and Ornament and Crime. I'm sort of using the Ornament and Crime as a sample and hold, grabbing notes with a clock pulse. In hindsight, I over modulated the Tuesday to the point where it never really resolves.

Drums are the Analog Rytm with a Zepplin loop in the background. Way back, I used to spend so much time sampling drums from DM, Puppy, or 242 ... the AR is the drum machine I've always wanted but just had to wait 25 years for.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-eclipse.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-dsc_4736_dxo.jpg  
Old 23rd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Been away for a little bit to focus on my other, extremely expensive hobby (see the attached image).

As for that video, chord progression came from TINRS Tuesday and Ornament and Crime. I'm sort of using the Ornament and Crime as a sample and hold, grabbing notes with a clock pulse. In hindsight, I over modulated the Tuesday to the point where it never really resolves.

Drums are the Analog Rytm with a Zepplin loop in the background. Way back, I used to spend so much time sampling drums from DM, Puppy, or 242 ... the AR is the drum machine I've always wanted but just had to wait 25 years for.
Excellent.

I've been looking at the TINRS- how musical is it for pattern generation?

Funny that we like the same kinds of old school industrial and stuff for musical influences...but I HATED the Analog Rytm. I didn't get on well with the sound engines at all (felt weak) and only used it as a (not very good) sampler.

I have the Digitakt now and really love it. Chock full of F242, DM and NeroBellum samples.
Old 23rd August 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
that's actually a good sign that the offset is linear.
I know you can adjust the boomstar:
in the manual p.9 "scale adjust'
I can't find any pics of the tonestar backside, wanna post a picture? there's got to be a scale tuning adjustment on it (most vco have them)
Yes, there are on the side of the module, pic attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
call them.. that's not right
Quote:
Call Studio Electronics. Fastest response and really good guys to talk to.
Thanks guys, i mailed them and they send me video how to adjust the scale, if someone has similar problem just mail them.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-20170819_184031.jpg  
Old 24th August 2017

So this thing is awesome...I'm mixing drums with it. The Aeverb is on the aux bus and the distortion is on the aux bus of the performance mixer (because it sounds great on synths too). And the sidechain is awesome, works really well. This is a serious product, very happy with it.
Old 24th August 2017
Lives for gear

242, DM, and the rest were my jam for ages. Still are, but the list is loooong now. My old ESI32 was loaded with those samples.
Old 24th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Excellent.

I've been looking at the TINRS- how musical is it for pattern generation?

Funny that we like the same kinds of old school industrial and stuff for musical influences...but I HATED the Analog Rytm. I didn't get on well with the sound engines at all (felt weak) and only used it as a (not very good) sampler.

I have the Digitakt now and really love it. Chock full of F242, DM and NeroBellum samples.
Tuesday, it depends on what you're after. I like the Saiko algorithms myself. It's a bit like Grids in that you can get close, but just need to give in and let it do its things. I'm probably using mine in about 90% of my patches in combo with O_C; with that combo it's sort of like a Turing Machine with music theory constraints.

As for the AR, did you have it when 1.3 came out? I'm not into the FM engines, but I've had it long enough that I can dial in just about anything I'm looking for. If you were relying mainly on the presets I could understand not liking it.
Old 24th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Void - where did you view the totality?

It was insanely cool.. first time I've seen a total in person.
Old 24th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Void - where did you view the totality?

It was insanely cool.. first time I've seen a total in person.
I was here for it ...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/44...!4d-117.226372

Some non-musical gear pr0n ...
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-20934216_1805527426127251_7110010792080361858_o.jpg  
Old 24th August 2017
Quote:
I was here for it ...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/44...!4d-117.226372

Some non-musical gear pr0n ...
Where do you live?
Old 24th August 2017
Lives for gear

I've been keeping my eyes peeled waiting for Doepfer to release their 168hp 9U low cost monster case that was announce winter namm 2017

and today I see they've updated their price list and it's due out in September.
A-100LMS9 Low Cost Monster Case Single Version raw 168HP/9U, 100-240V, PSU3 neu/new (~ September 2017)
850€

850€ wtf guys. I might as well just buy two 84hp 9U cases for 350€ each (actually 333€ at thomann). the whole point of going big is to reduce the cost.

672hp expanding to 1176hp... omg my wife is going to kill me.
& I guess I don't have to wait till September before getting more case
Old 24th August 2017
Lives for gear

A test track that came out as I was onn First hands-n with the Eloquencer

was not going to upload it as it is rough but hey... whatever
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search