The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 16th August 2017
Old 16th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I think I am more addicted to making deals and saving money than music or modular. So far this month I saved-
then wait for a used one to pop up. no sense in blowing your load on new stuff if you're not going to get the deal you want.
Old 16th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara948 View Post
<Deleted by Moderator>

Last edited by Synth Guru; 16th August 2017 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: Spam
Old 16th August 2017
Gear Maniac
don't quote that, spam likes being quoted.
Old 16th August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara948 View Post
<Deleted by Moderator>

Last edited by Synth Guru; 16th August 2017 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: Spam
Old 16th August 2017
Lives for gear

Yes. Never quote spam. It just makes more work for the moderators.

Anyway, after working for hours straight on my modular, I can really build up an appetite. So I reach for Ho’s Cup Noodle™. You should try it! You’ll be back to wiggling in no time!
Old 16th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Yes. Never quote spam. It just makes more work for the moderators.

Anyway, after working for hours straight on my modular, I can really build up an appetite. So I reach for Ho’s Cup Noodle™. You should try it! You’ll be back to wiggling in no time!
Yeah, noodles and modular
Old 16th August 2017
Gear Guru

coffee n modular works for me, not really into eating and wiggling but a cuppa coffee for sure..

The single most hardest thing to get right in any studio imo is your workflow, if my machines aren't lined up a certain way it prevents me from recording and making tunes, this often happens with new gear as it takes pride of place and inhibits any real flow. So I've done a massive reshuffle/rejig, and gear is now in places where it should be, the right ergonomics are there and I can now again get back to recording.

it's weird but things have to be just in the right place and the minimum amount of effort is required to set up/turn equipment on for me to hit a creative path.. and funny enough it's usually not the best looking when everything is in place, it looks kinda all over the place and messy but it will be working for sure..

small things I know but hey..
Old 17th August 2017

To Audio Damage-
Thanks for being a great company who delivers solid products. This thing just upped my game by about a million. I found noise (chronoblob through aux bus of mixer) just by hooking up the Kompressor to the 2-bus. Once I re-routed the blob and got rid of the noise...wow...This is a real freakin compressor, not just some chip with jacks. on 2:1-3:1 ratio and a middle of the road speed I can absolutely SLAM it with nothing going on that sounds bad to me. All I wanted it for was to even out my mixes for live use, and boy I got it. Nice and loud, crystal clear, perfect for sending to the Twinout and then FOH. It does have a sidechain mode but I am going to use Mutant Hot Glue for that when applicable. Would recommend to anyone thinking of playing out live with euro.
Old 17th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Thanks for the comments on the video, I still relatively new to this modular thing ... 10 months so far. I spend Saturday working on a refined version. I realized the obvious in that I can use the WMD SSM to sequence the "song" structure instead of playing the mutes on the mixer. In the end, I used just about everything in both racks and was down to about a half dozen patch cables left. That said, this patch has run it's course, time to do something new.

BTW, one thing that I keep telling myself that I need is a good, small gate sequencer. I'm full up on trigger sequencers and need something to do things a little bit more interesting than a bunch of pinged envelopes . I thought the Varigate 4 would work, perfect size with 4 outs, but the documentation implies that gate length maxes out the 80% of the note length so no ability to do ties. Any ideas for something in the 10hp range?
How did you sequence the chord changes in the bassline? And what was making the sound?

Also...were the drums Depeche mode samples?

The entire track had a Depeche Violator vibe which is my fave era from them. Excellent job. Subbed.
Old 17th August 2017
Gear Guru

yeah I've discovered that I really dig compressors with modular, well it can get a little out of control when patching all sorts of stuff so some balance and compressor gelling is quite important to the overall scheme..
Old 18th August 2017
New stand/setup for the modular-

I took a regular Z-stand and 2nd shelf attachment, replaced the top half of the "Z" with the 2nd tier arms...

It's the most ergonomic setup I have been able to achieve so far. I needed to do something, the amp stand setup had me bending my back really hard to see the bottom row. It's leaving the house tonight for the first time ever for a new band project rehearsal/recording so I'll need to be comfortable for a good bit of time.
Old 18th August 2017
Gear Head

Got 2 M32's don't like them.

I enjoy them but I'm finding out I don't like pre built ****. So, with that said I want to build a system that essential can do what 2 m32's can plus a bit more.
Does this look like a good start?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/493271

I plan on expanding into a Pittsburg modular ep-420 with this case included so a total of like 15u.

Everything look sound with my 6u build above? ^ question will linix be able to work as my final output mixer?
Old 18th August 2017
Lives for gear

I went a bit crazy and just bought(over the last month):

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/459536

Noise Engineering: Basilimus and Loquelic
Syntrotek: DSM
Melu Instruments: Freak
Roland: System 500 Dual ADSR and LFO

Also received from Lamond Design: Tolex painted 12U 84hp travel case
Old 18th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidCity View Post
I enjoy them but I'm finding out I don't like pre built ****. So, with that said I want to build a system that essential can do what 2 m32's can plus a bit more.

I plan on expanding into a Pittsburg modular ep-420 with this case included so a total of like 15u.

Everything look sound with my 6u build above? ^ question will linix be able to work as my final output mixer?
Looks well thought out...I would take your Mix 4 and Buff mult out of your case. No need for them

Get an Intellijel hub or even cheaper, the 5 pointed headphone splitters to use as mults.

The Linux is an excellent mixer and I perform live with it as my main mixer and its great. No other mixer needed.
Old 18th August 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
Looks well thought out...I would take your Mix 4 and Buff mult out of your case. No need for them

Get an Intellijel hub or even cheaper, the 5 pointed headphone splitters to use as mults.

The Linux is an excellent mixer and I perform live with it as my main mixer and its great. No other mixer needed.
Thank you so much!! Yay a compliment on a build finally!!! Thanks so much!!!!
Old 18th August 2017
Quote:

I think it's a good build. One suggestion if I may...I'd change out one Rene for something else a little smaller (maybe a Pressure Points), and add a quantizer to your setup. I don't know about Linix but Circuit Abbey Unify is a solid mixer for a little less HP.
Old 18th August 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
I think it's a good build. One suggestion if I may...I'd change out one Rene for something else a little smaller (maybe a Pressure Points), and add a quantizer to your setup. I don't know about Linix but Circuit Abbey Unify is a solid mixer for a little less HP.
So can pressure points act as an entirely separate sequencer?
WHATS A QUANTIZER useful for? Isn't it scales? I thought Rene has a scale page / options? Thanks so much for your help and suggestions infinitely appreciated
Old 19th August 2017
Gear Head

also real quick

I just got a brand new blue lantern built braids, it came pre built, when i tune my braids and m32 they start falling out of toon like 4 notes above or below from where i tuned it, so when i go an octave higher its ****ing way out of tune, this is ****ing depressing because nothing sounds good at all and i feel like i may have just wasted 200$ on this and should have just got a real braids. is there something i can do to fix this? I already tried the few vco tuning options braids has built in the menu but they didn't work? any help is vastly appreciated. all of you are so awesome btw
Old 19th August 2017
Quote:
So can pressure points act as an entirely separate sequencer?
WHATS A QUANTIZER useful for? Isn't it scales? I thought Rene has a scale page / options? Thanks so much for your help and suggestions infinitely appreciated
Ok I read up on the Rene and it has a built-in quantizer. Yes, it can do scales, but it essentially forces particular voltages into your oscillator (or anything for that matter) so you can play scales, arpeggios, and chords depending on the outputs and how you set them up. I use an Intellijel uScale V2 to make riffs/arps, and use the offset output for another voice with a different set of cv guiding it to make 2 totally different parts. I'm actually going to get another one and experiment with "quantizing the quantizer" to make chord "progressions" if you will...You could do this with 2 Rene's as well...

But the Rene looks menu-divey and complex. Some other quantizers might be more immediate and obvious to use. Also don't buy 2 duplicate modules (like 2 Rene's) at the same time ever. If it turns out you hate it or it doesn't really do quite what you thought (high percentage of probability when just starting out) that's doube the buyer's remorse and headache/loss when selling...
Old 19th August 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Ok I read up on the Rene and it has a built-in quantizer. Yes, it can do scales, but it essentially forces particular voltages into your oscillator (or anything for that matter) so you can play scales, arpeggios, and chords depending on the outputs and how you set them up. I use an Intellijel uScale V2 to make riffs/arps, and use the offset output for another voice with a different set of cv guiding it to make 2 totally different parts. I'm actually going to get another one and experiment with "quantizing the quantizer" to make chord "progressions" if you will...You could do this with 2 Rene's as well...

But the Rene looks menu-divey and complex. Some other quantizers might be more immediate and obvious to use. Also don't buy 2 duplicate modules (like 2 Rene's) at the same time ever. If it turns out you hate it or it doesn't really do quite what you thought (high percentage of probability when just starting out) that's doube the buyer's remorse and headache/loss when selling...
awesome! if i get a quantizer i think the arpitecht looks pretty rad, so can pressure points act as a separate sequencer? or is it just an add on interfacer thingy to rene?
Old 19th August 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
also circuit abbey unify i noticed has a left and right out for final output, i dont understand how stereo works yet in modular, im only used to using a mono, would circuit abbey allow me to just mono out instead of stereo if i just use the left out or something?
Old 19th August 2017
Quote:
also circuit abbey unify i noticed has a left and right out for final output, i dont understand how stereo works yet in modular, im only used to using a mono, would circuit abbey allow me to just mono out instead of stereo if i just use the left out or something?
Yes to get mono just pan all to one side, or you could hard-pan 2 voices to record them and have 2 separate tracks recorded at once.
Old 19th August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
I just got a brand new blue lantern built braids, it came pre built, when i tune my braids and m32 they start falling out of toon like 4 notes above or below from where i tuned it, so when i go an octave higher its ****ing way out of tune, this is ****ing depressing because nothing sounds good at all and i feel like i may have just wasted 200$ on this and should have just got a real braids. is there something i can do to fix this? I already tried the few vco tuning options braids has built in the menu but they didn't work? any help is vastly appreciated. all of you are so awesome btw
Braids is a digital oscillator it really can't go out of tune as far as i know..? it's probably the mother 32 that can't track more a couple of octaves is your problem..?
Old 19th August 2017
Lives for gear

Contemplating selling my eurorack (some or all) to help fund these builds. I've had the Serge panels for a while but just received the Buchla today.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-blacksergebuchla.jpg  
Old 19th August 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Braids is a digital oscillator it really can't go out of tune as far as i know..? it's probably the mother 32 that can't track more a couple of octaves is your problem..?
I knew it was Digi Osc but I also didn't know that entailed perfection, in that case M32 is trash then even when I had a Dixie the m32 had a tracking problem, well if that can't be fixed and m32 inherently has trash tracking I knew I should've went the 0-coast route oh well
Old 19th August 2017
It isn't trash, just needs calibrating. You could have the same issue with an OCoast.
FWIW, my two brand new Dixies couldn't play in tune together.
Old 19th August 2017
Lives for gear

It's trash. Send your trash Mother32 here for appropriate disposal. PM for details.
Old 20th August 2017
So I'm trolling craigs for euro (like every day) and I come across this Audio Damage Aeverb Mk2 and the guy is offering it for a really great deal. I watch a few vids and decide it's definitely more than good enough for what I was buying the Splash for. It's less HP too, always a plus. Not to mention my recent love affair with the Kompressor module...with all this in my face it was a no brainer.

I get to the guy's house, we meet and go inside. His workbench/desk looks like this-

So I ask him about it, and he turns out to be Eric Hold- Vintage Synth Lab's CEO and engineer. You guys might remember...he made this-

Which was a smashing success, completely sold out with a MKII on the way. I got to hear some cool company history/see a bunch of secret stuff I'm not allowed to tell but I will say this-

Don't underestimate these companies in their ability to come up with great new ideas, because cool stuff is on the horizon. Oh, and living in Portland is cool.
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So I'm trolling craigs for euro (like every day) and I come across this Audio Damage Aeverb Mk2 and the guy is offering it for a really great deal. I watch a few vids and decide it's definitely more than good enough for what I was buying the Splash for. It's less HP too, always a plus. Not to mention my recent love affair with the Kompressor module...with all this in my face it was a no brainer.

I get to the guy's house, we meet and go inside. His workbench/desk looks like this-

So I ask him about it, and he turns out to be Eric Hold- Vintage Synth Lab's CEO and engineer. You guys might remember...he made this-

Which was a smashing success, completely sold out with a MKII on the way. I got to hear some cool company history/see a bunch of secret stuff I'm not allowed to tell but I will say this-

Don't underestimate these companies in their ability to come up with great new ideas, because cool stuff is on the horizon. Oh, and living in Portland is cool.
Global modular heaven! Well... Other than Berlin!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search