The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 14th August 2017
  #5101
Lives for gear
 

Thanks for the recommendation on the ER-301 everyone. I'll give it a closer look. Am I correct that the only way to get one is to order direct from Orthogonal Devices, or are there North American retailers who carry it?
Old 14th August 2017
  #5102
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Thanks for the recommendation on the ER-301 everyone. I'll give it a closer look. Am I correct that the only way to get one is to order direct from Orthogonal Devices, or are there North American retailers who carry it?
You have to order directly. Wait time is pretty accurate. Mine shipped on the same day as estimated and arrived in the states two days later.
1
Share
Old 14th August 2017
  #5103
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Thanks for the comments on the video, I still relatively new to this modular thing ... 10 months so far. I spend Saturday working on a refined version. I realized the obvious in that I can use the WMD SSM to sequence the "song" structure instead of playing the mutes on the mixer. In the end, I used just about everything in both racks and was down to about a half dozen patch cables left. That said, this patch has run it's course, time to do something new.



BTW, one thing that I keep telling myself that I need is a good, small gate sequencer. I'm full up on trigger sequencers and need something to do things a little bit more interesting than a bunch of pinged envelopes . I thought the Varigate 4 would work, perfect size with 4 outs, but the documentation implies that gate length maxes out the 80% of the note length so no ability to do ties. Any ideas for something in the 10hp range?
8
Share
Old 14th August 2017
  #5104
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Thanks for the comments on the video. I spend Saturday working on a refined version. I realized the obvious in that I can use the WMD SSM to sequence the "song" structure instead of playing the mutes on the mixer. In the end, I used just about everything in both racks and was down to about a half dozen patch cables left. That said, this patch has run it's course, time to do something new.



BTW, one thing that I keep telling myself that I need is a good, small gate sequencer. I'm full up on trigger sequencers and need something to do things a little bit more interesting than a bunch of pinged envelopes . I thought the Varigate 4 would work, perfect size with 4 outs, but the documentation implies that gate length maxes out the 80% of the note length so no ability to do ties. Any ideas for something in the 10hp range?
All my sequencers are Tremendously YUUUUUGE... but the Trigger Riot does precision gate length. The incoming Stepper Acid is even bigger spacehog. Not a sequencer, but the QCD does gates with the right jumper settings. Sorry that's all I got for gates, sounds like you need something more controllable than a simple clock ping though. Wow I am no help at all.
2
Share
Old 14th August 2017
  #5105
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
All my sequencers are Tremendously YUUUUUGE... but the Trigger Riot does precision gate length. The incoming Stepper Acid is even bigger spacehog. Not a sequencer, but the QCD does gates with the right jumper settings. Sorry that's all I got for gates, sounds like you need something more controllable than a simple clock ping though. Wow I am no help at all.
What I'd really like to have is a Gatestorm, but don't have the space for one in the core rack, which is where I'd want it. I did one more pass at looking on ModularGrid over lunch and looks like the uStep 2 might be just what I need; small and cheap. Anyone have one?
Old 15th August 2017
  #5106
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
a bit of p0rn Whitecat found
The whole time with the cig hanging out of his mouth I'm thinking what $1k+ gear the ashes are landing on. So much for the smoke free studio
2
Share
Old 15th August 2017
  #5107
Lives for gear
 
Hokut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
The whole time with the cig hanging out of his mouth I'm thinking what $1k+ gear the ashes are landing on. So much for the smoke free studio
exactly what I thought when he went for the cig...
1
Share
Old 15th August 2017
  #5108
Lives for gear
 

His place. His gear. I bet a majority of "smoke free" gear isn't or wasn't at some point.

Cool video otherwise, especially when he got to it. Cool sounds and textures.
2
Share
Old 15th August 2017
  #5109
Going outside for a smoke takes too much time and kills any sort of momentum. That being said, the smell of cigs is repulsive to me so I vape inside. Vaping so i can stay in front of my rig has helped me switch over to about 90% vape and 10% smokes, and get a lot more music done. I am down to buying maybe 1-2 packs a month, and that's only when I hang with smoker friends or get into home drama. None of my gear is smoke-free though, I live in Oregon...
2
Share
Old 15th August 2017
  #5110
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Thanks for the comments on the video, I still relatively new to this modular thing ... 10 months so far. I spend Saturday working on a refined version. I realized the obvious in that I can use the WMD SSM to sequence the "song" structure instead of playing the mutes on the mixer. In the end, I used just about everything in both racks and was down to about a half dozen patch cables left. That said, this patch has run it's course, time to do something new.

sounds great, especially considering it's all 100% modular, even the sequencing! I still can't break away from my DAW to multi-track and sequence anything I put together.
1
Share
Old 15th August 2017
  #5111
Lives for gear
 

Thanks again to everyone that recommended the ER-301. I've since watched a bunch of videos and it is light years ahead of what I thought a modular sampler module could be. "Oh, you want a modular inside your modular, bro? We got you." I'd largely ignored it due to cost, but after learning what it can do it seems like an absolute bargain...the kind of module you could spend years with and never hit bottom. Gonna clear up some debt and order one ASAP. Seriously, cheers for steering me right. The Bitbox would still be wicked and I kinda want it for drum triggering, but it's no match for the ER-301.
1
Share
Old 15th August 2017
  #5112
Lives for gear
 
Sofine's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Thanks again to everyone that recommended the ER-301. I've since watched a bunch of videos and it is light years ahead of what I thought a modular sampler module could be. "Oh, you want a modular inside your modular, bro? We got you." I'd largely ignored it due to cost, but after learning what it can do it seems like an absolute bargain...the kind of module you could spend years with and never hit bottom. Gonna clear up some debt and order one ASAP. Seriously, cheers for steering me right. The Bitbox would still be wicked and I kinda want it for drum triggering, but it's no match for the ER-301.
Go for it! I love mine, and despite being a modular newbie to some degree, I find it quite intuitive to use and boy is it deep!

Make sure to watch the video series by Neil Parfit on YouTube and if you trawl the OD forum you'll see a new user called Joe has posted a couple of great videos too - there is definitely a solid user base and community
1
Share
Old 15th August 2017
  #5113
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofine View Post
Go for it! I love mine, and despite being a modular newbie to some degree, I find it quite intuitive to use and boy is it deep!

Make sure to watch the video series by Neil Parfit on YouTube and if you trawl the OD forum you'll see a new user called Joe has posted a couple of great videos too - there is definitely a solid user base and community
The Neil Parfitt videos are what have pushed me over the edge. The more I watch the more I recognize it as a next level module. My MO for gear is usually for super deep things that will take me years to grok and find happy accidents in the meantime, and the ER-301 absolutely fits that bill.

Just curious for anyone in the US, did you get hit with extra customs charges? I'd rather plan for the expense since I'm usually working within thin margins these days.
Old 15th August 2017
  #5114
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
The Neil Parfitt videos are what have pushed me over the edge. The more I watch the more I recognize it as a next level module. My MO for gear is usually for super deep things that will take me years to grok and find happy accidents in the meantime, and the ER-301 absolutely fits that bill.

Just curious for anyone in the US, did you get hit with extra customs charges? I'd rather plan for the expense since I'm usually working within thin margins these days.
Congrats! You won't be disappointed, judging by your MO

I'm finding the issue is more "What should I do, now that it does nearly everything" :D Which is, really, hardly an issue. I'm just waiting for some features to become close to final, which means I can start building presets and custom units to speed up the patching process. I also need to try out some of the units already posted on the forum. Some wicked stuff, like a Cloud Generator emulation and diff. FM synths have already been put up.

FWIW, O|D declares value accurately, as he should. So the odds are you will get hit with customs.
Old 15th August 2017
  #5115
Gear Head
 

4 input adsr expansion for apollo twin duo?

I'm looking to expand my apollo twin duo for lack of inputs, only has two, and the only ADAT expansions I see are 8 inputs,
I could do away by just adding 4.
I'm looking to stag under $300 for this and the k my one that comes to sight is the behringer 8200. But again I don't need 8 and I don't need the pre amps just need more inputs for synths. Thanks for any help in advance. Cheers

Edit in title I meant to spell ADAT
Old 15th August 2017
  #5116
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidCity View Post
I'm looking to expand my apollo twin duo for lack of inputs, only has two, and the only ADAT expansions I see are 8 inputs,
I could do away by just adding 4.
I'm looking to stag under $300 for this and the k my one that comes to sight is the behringer 8200. But again I don't need 8 and I don't need the pre amps just need more inputs for synths. Thanks for any help in advance. Cheers

Edit in title I meant to spell ADAT
Wrong thread for this post, was it an accident? No big deal though, we take it light over here.

Most ADAT expanders or interfaces I have seen have 8 channels since that is at the very core of ADAT capability. And it would seem that most also have preamps as well. I use a Presonus Digimax 96k. I end up using the pres because there's no way around it but as long as you don't crank them they don't add anything unwanted. One thing to know is that if you record at 44k you get 8 channels and at the higher settings you get less. I am not sure if this is built into the ADAT standard or my unit in particular though. I bet somebody here knows...
1
Share
Old 15th August 2017
  #5117
Lives for gear
 

adat is good for eight channels at 24 bit resolution at 48kHz -

Higher sample rates can be accommodated with a reduced number of channels. While The original ADAT machines did not support this, the Lightpipe format was modified using bit-splitting technique. So your device has to support it, like having the appropriate ad/da converters.

4 channels 24bit 96kHz
2 channels 24bit 192kHz
1
Share
Old 15th August 2017
  #5118
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Wrong thread for this post, was it an accident? No big deal though, we take it light over here.

Most ADAT expanders or interfaces I have seen have 8 channels since that is at the very core of ADAT capability. And it would seem that most also have preamps as well. I use a Presonus Digimax 96k. I end up using the pres because there's no way around it but as long as you don't crank them they don't add anything unwanted. One thing to know is that if you record at 44k you get 8 channels and at the higher settings you get less. I am not sure if this is built into the ADAT standard or my unit in particular though. I bet somebody here knows...
Sorry for the wrong thread I figured it would I would post here because it does pertain to my modular system, but not directly. Thanks a bunch for the help!!!!
One last questioning you don't mind, all I need to set this up is a toslink fiber optic cable?
Old 15th August 2017
  #5119
I'm having some difficulty deciding in what order to buy modules. What's happening is I am finally getting over the loss of selling (discussed somewhere else on GS) and moving forward with the plan to finish the case up. Sh!t is selling fast! I have a big list of like 14 things I need to buy to finish the case. It turns out to be just as hard to SPEND the money as it is to sell stuff. I keep getting caught up in the idea that if I just wait another day or 2 then this module or that one will pop up on Reverb, making me an idiot for buying it new. I think I am more addicted to making deals and saving money than music or modular. So far this month I saved-
$75 on Mutant Hot Glue
$50 on Kompressor
$50 on Twinout

But I can't bring myself to buy anything new even though some of the modules I need just came out and won't be used anytime soon or will simply never exist until I bother Analog Haven guy to order them from Doepfer guy. You Euros have it so easy with the Doepfer stuff...we have one guy.

Anyway, I was hoping you guys could help me put this list in order of priority (from your perspective of course) and maybe that will just knock my brain loose and let me buy with confidence...I generally try to buy the most expensive stuff first which would be Stepper Acid at this point but that's just arbitrary-

"Doepfer A-182-1 Switched Multiple"
"Doepfer A-151 Quad Sequential Switch (NEW Version)"
"Mutable instruments Branches Dual Bernoulli gate"
"WMD PM Mutes PM MUTES EXPANDER"
"Intellijel Quadra Expander mk2
"ALM Busy Circuits ALM002 - Beast's Chalkboard octave switcher/voltage adder"
"Tiptop Audio ONE 24bit 96k Mono Sample Player"
"Futureretro Transient Drum and Percussion module"
"Intellijel μScale [v2] intelligent quantizer and interval generator"
"Intellijel Dixie II+ Full-featured triangle core VCO/LFO"
"Flame FX16-CV Multieffects"
"Intellijel Quadra Quad Envelope / Function Generator"
Dreadbox WL Splash
"Transistor Sounds Labs Stepper Acid
Step Sequencer"

And by the way I realize how completely first-world this post is (waaa, I can't buy stuff right) so thanks in advance for indulging a spoiled brat.
Old 15th August 2017
  #5120
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
The Neil Parfitt videos are what have pushed me over the edge. The more I watch the more I recognize it as a next level module. My MO for gear is usually for super deep things that will take me years to grok and find happy accidents in the meantime, and the ER-301 absolutely fits that bill.

Just curious for anyone in the US, did you get hit with extra customs charges? I'd rather plan for the expense since I'm usually working within thin margins these days.
I never got hit with any additional charges, just the straight cost as quoted.

As for ER-301 capabilities, the custom units on the forums are great. The bass line in the last couple of videos I posted was a tweaked version of the Cloud Generator custom unit. The Piano and Anim8tor are also really good units. Some other tips include taking Octotrack / AR percussion sample chains and randomizing the splice parameter to create glitch drums ala the Braids Meta mode trick. Almost every time I think I need a new module (clocked stereo delay, compressor for side-chaining, Morphagene, more envelopes or CV processing), I quickly realize that I can just do it with the ER-301. With an ER-301, a Disting for clocked sample playback for sync'd drum loops (coming soon to the ER-301 I hope), and a Radio Music (or a second Disting) for *HUGE*, 64GB sample banks of random noise, you'd have all you're sampling bases covered.
2
Share
Old 15th August 2017
  #5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidCity View Post
Sorry for the wrong thread I figured it would I would post here because it does pertain to my modular system, but not directly. Thanks a bunch for the help!!!!
One last questioning you don't mind, all I need to set this up is a toslink fiber optic cable?
Correct! I have a 30-footer so those 8 channels are across the room from the interface and computer, very convenient.
1
Share
Old 15th August 2017
  #5122
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Stepper Acid... incoming soon.
Awesome! Hope you like it as much as I do!

My only gripe so far is in how it handles transpositions. It can only transpose a sequence in increments of half-steps. Chromatic transpositions don't work well for most of the stuff I do (which is modal), so I need to hit the transpose buttons at least twice in succession as quickly as possible if I want a whole-step transposition (which works better for modal stuff). Transpositions of a minor third (another personal favorite) require three punches. It's almost impossible to avoid a "blue note" or two if the sequence is running quickly. For more experimental/random stuff, none of this matters, of course, but for more controlled work, well... it's an issue.

The most obvious workarounds would be 1) programming transpositions by hand, saving them, and chaining patterns or 2) simply calling on another CV source to handle the transpositions and mix those together with the pitch CVs coming from Stepper.
1
Share
Old 15th August 2017
  #5123
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Awesome! Hope you like it as much as I do!

My only gripe so far is in how it handles transpositions. It can only transpose a sequence in increments of half-steps. Chromatic transpositions don't work well for most of the stuff I do (which is modal), so I need to hit the transpose buttons at least twice in succession as quickly as possible if I want a whole-step transposition (which works better for modal stuff). Transpositions of a minor third (another personal favorite) require three punches. It's almost impossible to avoid a "blue note" or two if the sequence is running quickly. For more experimental/random stuff, none of this matters, of course, but for more controlled work, well... it's an issue.

The most obvious workarounds would be 1) programming transpositions by hand, saving them, and chaining patterns or 2) simply calling on another CV source to handle the transpositions and mix those together with the pitch CVs coming from Stepper.
I'm planning on using it in a slightly novel way, methinks. Besides using it the normal way (like a note sequencer), <Sometimes> I want to mult the cv out to a voice and use it to control the shift or root of my quantizer for key changes. Then the 1st out (multed to a voice) of the quantizer will feed the v/octave in of the 2nd quantizer and the shift out (also multed to a voice) will go to the shift in of the 2nd quantizer to either move the "B" out or the root of the 2nd chord...a bit of mad science here but hoping for interesting results...run through the filter of your theory knowledge (which I lack for the most part) do you have any thoughts on that? Other than I should probably be committed to an institution?
2
Share
Old 15th August 2017
  #5124
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
correct! I have a 30-footer so those 8 channels are across the room from the interface and computer, very convenient.
thank you so much!
Old 15th August 2017
  #5125
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I'm planning on using it in a slightly novel way, methinks. Besides using it the normal way (like a note sequencer), <Sometimes> I want to mult the cv out to a voice and use it to control the shift or root of my quantizer for key changes. Then the 1st out (multed to a voice) of the quantizer will feed the v/octave in of the 2nd quantizer and the shift out (also multed to a voice) will go to the shift in of the 2nd quantizer to either move the "B" out or the root of the 2nd chord...a bit of mad science here but hoping for interesting results...run through the filter of your theory knowledge (which I lack for the most part) do you have any thoughts on that? Other than I should probably be committed to an institution?
I think that sounds like a great idea! Not crazy at all!

I’ve actually had similar thoughts of using Stepper as a supplement to my main sequencer, the A-155, sending CV into the A-154 controller module and A-156 quantizer.

Also, I should say, the way I’ve been using Stepper so far isn’t really what it was designed for. I mean, it’s ideal as an acid sequencer, but I’ve been using it to do modal minimalism. If I’m using a mode such as Phrygian, which begins with a half-step, then a half-step transition doesn't feel as awkward. The same for the Locrian mode, which also begins with a half-step. But who the hell uses Locrian?

Actually, that’s a joke. It's one of my favorites. It's got that tritone—the Devil in Music—in place of a perfect fifth for the first and fifth scale degrees. Love it.

Yeah, I’m really into music theory. Maybe I’m the one who should be committed.
3
Share
Old 15th August 2017
  #5126
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
I think that sounds like a great idea! Not crazy at all!

I’ve actually had similar thoughts of using Stepper as a supplement to my main sequencer, the A-155, sending CV into the A-154 controller module and A-156 quantizer.

此外,我應該說,到目前為止,我一直在使用Stepper的方式並不是它的設計。我的意思是,它是一個很好的酸序列,但我一直在使用它做模態極簡主義。如果我正在使用諸如Phrygian的模式,它以半步開始,那麼半步轉換就不那麼尷尬了。對於Locrian模式也是如此,它也以半步開始。但是,誰來使用Locrian?

其實這是一個笑話。這是我最喜歡的之一。這是音樂中的惡魔 - 這是第一和第五個學位的完美第五名。愛它。


Yeah, I’m really into music theory. Maybe I’m the one who should be committed.
Fixed so I could understand it better, no I don't know Chinese either. It's like-

Talking to



I'm going to go look up modes now and remind my stoner brain what exactly they are now. Thanks for the endorsement on the idea.
4
Share
Old 15th August 2017
  #5127
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I'm having some difficulty deciding in what order to buy modules. What's happening is I am finally getting over the loss of selling (discussed somewhere else on GS) and moving forward with the plan to finish the case up. Sh!t is selling fast! I have a big list of like 14 things I need to buy to finish the case. It turns out to be just as hard to SPEND the money as it is to sell stuff. I keep getting caught up in the idea that if I just wait another day or 2 then this module or that one will pop up on Reverb, making me an idiot for buying it new. I think I am more addicted to making deals and saving money than music or modular. So far this month I saved-
$75 on Mutant Hot Glue
$50 on Kompressor
$50 on Twinout

But I can't bring myself to buy anything new even though some of the modules I need just came out and won't be used anytime soon or will simply never exist until I bother Analog Haven guy to order them from Doepfer guy. You Euros have it so easy with the Doepfer stuff...we have one guy.

Anyway, I was hoping you guys could help me put this list in order of priority (from your perspective of course) and maybe that will just knock my brain loose and let me buy with confidence...I generally try to buy the most expensive stuff first which would be Stepper Acid at this point but that's just arbitrary-

"Doepfer A-182-1 Switched Multiple"
"Doepfer A-151 Quad Sequential Switch (NEW Version)"
"Mutable instruments Branches Dual Bernoulli gate"
"WMD PM Mutes PM MUTES EXPANDER"
"Intellijel Quadra Expander mk2
"ALM Busy Circuits ALM002 - Beast's Chalkboard octave switcher/voltage adder"
"Tiptop Audio ONE 24bit 96k Mono Sample Player"
"Futureretro Transient Drum and Percussion module"
"Intellijel μScale [v2] intelligent quantizer and interval generator"
"Intellijel Dixie II+ Full-featured triangle core VCO/LFO"
"Flame FX16-CV Multieffects"
"Intellijel Quadra Quad Envelope / Function Generator"
Dreadbox WL Splash
"Transistor Sounds Labs Stepper Acid
Step Sequencer"

And by the way I realize how completely first-world this post is (waaa, I can't buy stuff right) so thanks in advance for indulging a spoiled brat.
Slaughtr, if you're in the states, I have a Doepfer A-182-1 in my "for sale" case.
Old 15th August 2017
  #5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Slaughtr, if you're in the states, I have a Doepfer A-182-1 in my "for sale" case.
For once I am proud to be an American, at least geographically. PM me your details, I am down.
Old 15th August 2017
  #5129
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Fixed so I could understand it better...
哈哈

(haha)

You crack me up!

Let us know when the Stepper arrives. I'm curious what you'll think of it.
1
Share
Old 16th August 2017
  #5130
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
哈哈

(haha)

You crack me up!

Let us know when the Stepper arrives. I'm curious what you'll think of it.
Ordered it from PCA just now!
So in the mail-
Mutant Hot Glue
Kompressor
Twinout
Stepper Acid

I really hate buying lots of modules all at once but I also didn't expect so much stuff to sell so fast. I'm gonna be bogged down with manuals and tut vids for months...
1
Share
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump