The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 11th August 2017
Gear Guru

just want to leave this here and say these guys do some really nice stuff, very under rated imo..

Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiTeR-aR View Post
Ok, i measured it and one octave it's 28cents, two octave it's 56 cents!!
that's actually a good sign that the offset is linear.

I know you can adjust the boomstar:
in the manual p.9 "scale adjust'
Quote:
Holes from left to right:
#5 Oscillator 1 scale adjust.
#6 Oscillator 2 scale adjust.
I can't find any pics of the tonestar backside, wanna post a picture? there's got to be a scale tuning adjustment on it (most vco have them)
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, i measured it and one octave it's 28cents, two octave it's 56 cents!!
call them.. that's not right
Old 11th August 2017
This is awesome! People are actually buying my crap.

Mother-32 sold.
Mutant Hot Glue incoming soon.

500 series comp + case sold.
Stepper Acid and something else incoming soon.

Circuit Abbey Unify is on the way out now, along with-
Mini Slew
Triple bipolar
SMR
Pitt Seq MKI

Taking offers...let me know if it's one of you guys hitting me up on Reverb, happy to take offers...I want to get this case filled up!
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I haven't measured it with tuner but by ear i can hear that i.e. C to C1 doesn't track properly, it's minor difference, but let's say C to C2 is just out of tune.

So when i would like to play through two octaves or set sequencer that plays in that range it can be audible, especially when using 2600 as the second oscillator to my M32.
Call Studio Electronics. Fastest response and really good guys to talk to.
Old 12th August 2017
Lives for gear

@slaughtrhaus - what are your thoughts on the 4ms Spectral Multiband Resonator? It seems pretty cool, did it not live up somehow?
Old 12th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
just want to leave this here and say these guys do some really nice stuff, very under rated imo..

Thanks for the vid. Not much EMW around it seems. Wonder if their modules are EML inspired or are supposed to be their own thing. Nevertheless they sound quite organic. And the rez on the filter is really nice and syrupy.
Old 12th August 2017
Lives for gear

A mostly generative patch in C minor based around modulating the TINRS Tuesday and quantizing it to scale and latching notes with Ornament and Crime. I'll never be able to repeat it, but there's a cool, cello type sound with Klavis Twin Wave going into the Aperture with a bit of modulation on the feedback input. Full list of modules used includes:

Pamela's New Workout
Braids
Batumi
WMD S.P.O.
WMD Aperture
WMD MMF
Evolution
Voltage Block
Ladik M-216
Grids
Octocontroller
Disting Mk3
Klavis Twin Wave
Warps (Parasite)
Clouds (Parasite)
Freez
Erica Pico DSP
TINRS Tuesday
Disting Mk4
Ornament and Chrime
Peaks (DMC)
Blinds
Veils
ER-301
Metropolis
Quadra with Expander
Peaks
Turing Machine
Plonk
Analog Rytm
Mackie 1202VLZ4
TC Eletronics Flashback
Old 12th August 2017
Gear Guru

really enjoy your tunes and vids.. you've totally got the whole modular vibe going on nicely..
Old 12th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
Thanks for the vid. Not much EMW around it seems. Wonder if their modules are EML inspired or are supposed to be their own thing.
No connection and not remotely similar in my experience.
Old 12th August 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
No connection and not remotely similar in my experience.
Their EMW-200 seems to be a recreation of the old EML-200 synth, so there's some similarity there:
EMW-200 - SYNTHESIZERS
Old 12th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
@slaughtrhaus - what are your thoughts on the 4ms Spectral Multiband Resonator? It seems pretty cool, did it not live up somehow?
I think it's a fantastic module. If I were a little better off I would keep it but I'm trying to build a specific case right now and I need the cash. Might buy again someday if I ever get a job.
I got an offer on it last night so it's probably shipping out today...
Old 12th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterPhase View Post
Their EMW-200 seems to be a recreation of the old EML-200 synth, so there's some similarity there:
EMW-200 - SYNTHESIZERS
OK, I was talking about the generic EMW modular as featured in the video posted.
Old 12th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I posted about this previously...I'm trying to do a series of videos playing my modular outside. To properly do it in the remote locations I want to, I have been looking at various "power block" options. At first I was just going to order one and try it then if it wasn't enough juice just send it back to get a better one but I think I figured out a better way-
<image cut>
This should allow me to accurately measure how much power the box needs and get the right brick from the beginning. And figure out how much power all my stuff takes, maybe I'll turn it off once in a while.
Got the Kill-A-Watt. Modular case measures in at 113v, .95a, and 93w. If I have done my interwebz homework, this guy will run my box for 2-3 hours solid-

https://www.amazon.com/CF-UPS018-Por...ct_top?ie=UTF8

It's pure sine wave, says it can handle sensitive electronics, and the battery can be replaced. I've been hunting these things for a while and this one might be the winner...
Old 13th August 2017
Lives for gear

That thing looks awesome.
Old 13th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Got the Kill-A-Watt. Modular case measures in at 113v, .95a, and 93w. If I have done my interwebz homework, this guy will run my box for 2-3 hours solid-

https://www.amazon.com/CF-UPS018-Por...ct_top?ie=UTF8

It's pure sine wave, says it can handle sensitive electronics, and the battery can be replaced. I've been hunting these things for a while and this one might be the winner...
As I've said before, my other expensive hobby is astrophotography and remote power is a must. That said, that thing is way overpriced. $399 for only 31AH is ridiculous. I've got a nice Anker Astro Pro 2 that gives me 28AH @ 5v and it was less than $100.
Old 13th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
As I've said before, my other expensive hobby is astrophotography and remote power is a must. That said, that thing is way overpriced. $399 for only 31AH is ridiculous. I've got a nice Anker Astro Pro 2 that gives me 28AH @ 5v and it was less than $100.
Yeah but I need AC for my Doepfer case...there's tons of cheap D.C. solutions but those won't work in my particular case.
Old 13th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
A mostly generative patch in C minor based around modulating the TINRS Tuesday and quantizing it to scale and latching notes with Ornament and Crime. I'll never be able to repeat it, but there's a cool, cello type sound with Klavis Twin Wave going into the Aperture with a bit of modulation on the feedback input. Full list of modules used includes:
ok... that was really cool!
Old 13th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Pamela's New Workout
Braids
Batumi
WMD S.P.O.
WMD Aperture
WMD MMF
Evolution
Voltage Block
Ladik M-216
Grids
Octocontroller
Disting Mk3
Klavis Twin Wave
Warps (Parasite)
Clouds (Parasite)
Freez
Erica Pico DSP
TINRS Tuesday
Disting Mk4
Ornament and Chrime
Peaks (DMC)
Blinds
Veils
ER-301
Metropolis
Quadra with Expander
Peaks
Turing Machine
Plonk
Analog Rytm
Mackie 1202VLZ4
TC Eletronics Flashback
Man thats the 4-5th video of you in a row i really really dig. I would be absolutely willing to pay money for a sample pack of your awesome depech-y grooves.
Old 13th August 2017
Lives for gear

Feels like my last couple posts on this thread haven't even been seen...did everyone block me?

No matter, I'll try again.

Thinking a lot about changing the plans for my 6U and making it more of a sampling workstation. I miss my Octatrack but find it hard to justify buying another one when I don't need the sequencer thanks to the Squarp Pyramid. Consequently, I'm looking at a combo of the Morphagene and Bitbox, with the Bitbox for samples and recording, and the Morphagene for sample mangling. Anyone else using either/both of these modules who care to comment?
Old 13th August 2017
I've never owned or used anything in your post, so can't comment.
Old 13th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Feels like my last couple posts on this thread haven't even been seen...did everyone block me?

No matter, I'll try again.

Thinking a lot about changing the plans for my 6U and making it more of a sampling workstation. I miss my Octatrack but find it hard to justify buying another one when I don't need the sequencer thanks to the Squarp Pyramid. Consequently, I'm looking at a combo of the Morphagene and Bitbox, with the Bitbox for samples and recording, and the Morphagene for sample mangling. Anyone else using either/both of these modules who care to comment?
Do not have Morphgene or Bitbox, but did you consider the Orthogonal Devices ER-301?
Old 13th August 2017
Gear Guru

not many of us have a Bit Box or morphagene, as they are both really still quite new and very expensive I can se why you got little response..
Old 13th August 2017
Lives for gear

I asked about the Morphagene recently, myself, and both Fiddle and another member responded. It can't be many pages back, less than 10 I bet.
Old 13th August 2017
Lives for gear

My friend just bought a Waveslicer kit. Looks damn interesting and out there.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi...c.php?t=144678
Old 13th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
, I'm looking at a combo of the Morphagene and Bitbox, with the Bitbox for samples and recording, and the Morphagene for sample mangling. Anyone else using either/both of these modules who care to comment?
I'd check out the ER-301

I've got a morphagene and it's fantastic, easy to use and great for timewarping and pulling textures for making drones.
Old 13th August 2017
Quote:
...Morphagene and Bitbox, with the Bitbox for samples and recording, and the Morphagene for sample mangling. Anyone else using either/both of these modules who care to comment?
I have the Phonogene, and yes that could work. I'd add a bunch of (clockable) modulation sources, and some module with an FX send and return. Also it's nice to bring recorded audio (radio broadcast, or environment recordings) straight into the case, so some input (and out) module might be a good idea as well.
The ER-301 looks awesome, but I'm holding out for the coming Assimil8or from Rossum, before making that choice. For now my MPC1000 is a good companion for polyphonic sampling.
Old 13th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
I'd check out the ER-301

I've got a morphagene and it's fantastic, easy to use and great for timewarping and pulling textures for making drones.
The ER-301 can be both the BitBox and a Morphsgene is you patch it up right. It also has the advantage of also being a shipping product. I got mine bacause couldn't wait for the Assimil8tor. Glad I did bacause that little box does way more than the Assimil8tor ever will.
Old 14th August 2017
a bit of p0rn Whitecat found
Old 14th August 2017
Quote:
It's been said already, but this was really great. Subscribed, because for some reason I wasn't already.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search