The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
This looks a rather lean and do-able "want list",

I'm sure theres stuff I've missed

How sad is it that this is my current wishlist?

Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

And it can only get bigger
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Here's my wish list but nothing I'm really dying to get. Well except for that Morpheus filter but the price tag makes that a non starter for a long while.

Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

There's a lot of people GASSING over Morpheous, however the current videos ain't doing anything for me.
Old 13th January 2017
Re: My wishlist. This fills up the Monster case (after I sell off what I don't want anymore)...

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/rack...rid_390188.jpg
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
There's a lot of people GASSING over Morpheous, however the current videos ain't doing anything for me.
I haven't even heard the demos myself. I'm gassing over it for sheer reputation. The Z-Plane filters on the old E-Mu gear were just stellar. Sometimes the sound sources themselves weren't that great (particularly with the Proteus 2000 lineup and the Orbit), but the filters were just magical. It was a shame that instead of adding more, they used fewer and fewer filters as E-Mu continued on. I don't think the Ultras even had but a handful of filters compared to the 200+ filters on the original Morpheus.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I love the idea of a digital stereo filter. I'm thinking it's like the Braids of filters. Like I said though - price is over the top. Don't know if I could justify
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

It's probably just the filter thing where I seem to use filters less the more I patch.

The word "Stereo" scares me to, I've been trying to avoid stereo in my modular.

I don't mind getting stereo modules that can also work in mono.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
Yes and no. It's not like most subscriptions like Adobe or Autodesk where you stop paying and lose the use of the software
Might be, but its close enough to be wary. Especially with these OS out there that demand updates to function.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

I think now that I've kinda talked myself down from the Silent Way thing for now and I've snagged just about everything of interest that my buddy was selling that he hasn't already sold, my short-term goal is to try to get some of these voice module purchases out of the way. System 1m's been on my radar for an age and secondhand prices have went down significantly, so it's about time I finally grabbed one and picked up Atlantis, Tonestar, and a Mother-32 while I'm at it. I find myself using full-voice modules less and less, but they're still a lot of fun and very inspirational to just grab and tweak.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Might be, but its close enough to be wary. Especially with these OS out there that demand updates to function.
This era of leasing software really sucks. Hopefully these companies are sleeping well knowing they're alienating their customers.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Well, since the Morpheus is already ordered (and the module that got my started on this crap), here's the result of my cathartic wishlist exercise.

And I still don't have enough VCA's ...
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

@void23 I had to look up the cranial saw as I just assumed it was a EQ/filter, I didn't realise it was a dual VCO.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
@void23 I had to look up the cranial saw as I just assumed it was a EQ/filter, I didn't realise it was a dual VCO.
I think you saw the Sawtor, a super saw generator.
Old 13th January 2017
6 of 8 (Mutable Instruments in my plan)

Thanks to @lineofcontrol for the sweet deal!
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
6 of 8 (Mutable Instruments in my plan)

Thanks to @lineofcontrol for the sweet deal!
Glad it arrived safe and sound. Use it well my friend!
Old 14th January 2017
Gear Maniac
Here's current state for me. 2 Pitt 360 cases plus a mono rocket 240. Yeah, I might looking around for a sliding nuts solution this year.

I shoe-boxed an MFOS vocoder. A vpme.de Euclidean Circles is going next to the Chaos Divider (if my build takes )and I'm getting the serge R*S wave shaper Cane mentioned a month back to finish out the first case.

Did my first aluminum panel for a Nein, Oh Nein clap, have the snare to do next, otherwise would be in the case. Looks like NAMM is going to have a lot.

Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Not Euro but I grabbed a super-cheap Microgranny 2.5 from a dude up the road and it's fun as **** with modular (and it's 0-hp!). The fact that you can record in realtime (line or built-in mic) means that it's way more useful to me than any of the read-only SD-card based samplers. Means I can easily resample the modular back into itself, and a lot of it's parameters are midi-syncable so rhythmic stuff is a piece of piss (even though the midi latency on it is noticeable) and it makes a fun wavetable style oscillator to boot.

Back on topic: Just about to swap out my Elby Noise module for a Bastl one so I can finally rid myself of that pesky 1HP gap and be totally, 100% full up.

Last edited by tapedseams; 14th January 2017 at 01:47 AM..
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
As far as modular selection, can I be an asshole for a moment? I wouldn't get the Clouds as a first module. It's not an easy module to grasp for someone just starting in Euro and it's easy to get stuck making washy sounds with it because you find 'that' sweet spot and you never find the other stuff it's capable of. After you fill this case, THEN look into getting a Clouds. You'll have earned it by then and will probably have a better grasp on what you're doing.
Just for a moment? Just kidding buddy!

I don't think there's anything wrong with Clouds as a first module, provided you have some hardware you can run through it. I believe that understanding granular synthesis prior to getting it helps though. I'd played with some in DAWs, but Borderlands Granular on the iPad really opened my eyes to how it works better. So I'd done that prior to getting Clouds.

But for Clouds, (and Rings for that matter) I think it's best to just use one mode for a while. Stick with the main mode, really get to know it, all of its functionality including freeze/trigger, work on modulation possibilities, then move onto the next mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak View Post
Literally just thought of doing that yesterday but didn't do it yet. There are 5-6 modules I want to get and I keep forgetting about them. This seemed like a good idea.
Yeah, I've got a few rows where the ones in the bottom row are my prioritized stuff. It's also nice because I can go back and look at the modules on the list, then watch the youtube videos and make sure it's really the module I want. I've made quite a few switches after re-watching all of the videos.

Quote:
This looks a rather lean and do-able "want list",

I'm sure theres stuff I've missed

I see no Dual Wasp in there bro!

I keep flip flopping between the Dual Wasp while replacing my Doepfer Wasp or the Xaoc Belgrad. I think today I concluded the Wasp sounds thicker and will be the route I take.

Don't ask me tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
How sad is it that this is my current wishlist?

I think we're going to need a bigger boat...
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Here's my wish list but nothing I'm really dying to get. Well except for that Morpheus filter but the price tag makes that a non starter for a long while.

I love my Mangrove! Cold Mac could do some fun stuff with it I'll bet. If I ever understood WTH it does.

You should wait to see what the new Pam's Workout brings. May want to reach for that instead of the Pam's it appears you have in there?
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
I see no Dual Wasp in there bro! .
That would be in the DIY wants rack, thats a whole other rack

Dual Wasp, Haible phaser, Serge NTO, Triple sloth, Ornaments & Crime blah blah blah
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You should wait to see what the new Pam's Workout brings. May want to reach for that instead of the Pam's it appears you have in there?
You won't get a Pam now unless you buy secondhand, everywhere is out of stock awaiting the new version.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I love my Mangrove! Cold Mac could do some fun stuff with it I'll bet. If I ever understood WTH it does.

We'll, it's a current wish list. We'll see after NAMM.

In other news, my O&C shipped. I whimped out and got one built by Magpie. I can barely do hole through soldering, SMD is just to ambitious for me.
Old 14th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post

I love my Mini Slew. Lots of options, very practical. The Chronoblob is great but mine is noisy. Not sure if they are all noisy but mine is like "can't use it in a quiet part" noisy, and may fall out of the rack for something else eventually, it kinda depends...
Old 14th January 2017
Speaking of effects, I'm starting to wonder if I really need to spend $500 + $70 (ZDSP) per card just to be able to control effects with CV...I mean, the main thing I was gonna do with it was reverb, and I already have a bitchin reverb (Eventide H9) I love that I can fully control from my Octatrack (which also controls my modular). I also really dig my Moog minifooger delay, quite a bit more than the Chronoblob for straight delay stuff. In fairness, the blob has more features but the moog sounds way better to me, and has a CV input that can control the time or the feedback so there is some integration. In short, I have effects I like with decent modulation control, why shouldn't I just use them?

I know I'll be losing more than a reverb in the ZDSP if I take it out of my plan, I am aware that it does a zillion (The "Z" in ZDSP) things but I am beginning to think it was a bit of a bandwagon choice (I blame Derp), plus looking at the "wishlist" on a separate grid that has the price tag for all of it just made me want to trim the "fat" and get the most out of my HP...thoughts?

The current plan-
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/363493
Things I don't own yet, the wishlist-
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/390188
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Speaking of effects, I'm starting to wonder if I really need to spend $500 + $70 (ZDSP) per card just to be able to control effects with CV...I mean, the main thing I was gonna do with it was reverb, and I already have a bitchin reverb (Eventide H9) I love that I can fully control from my Octatrack (which also controls my modular). I also really dig my Moog minifooger delay, quite a bit more than the Chronoblob for straight delay stuff. In fairness, the blob has more features but the moog sounds way better to me, and has a CV input that can control the time or the feedback so there is some integration. In short, I have effects I like with decent modulation control, why shouldn't I just use them?

I know I'll be losing more than a reverb in the ZDSP if I take it out of my plan, I am aware that it does a zillion (The "Z" in ZDSP) things but I am beginning to think it was a bit of a bandwagon choice (I blame Derp), plus looking at the "wishlist" on a separate grid that has the price tag for all of it just made me want to trim the "fat" and get the most out of my HP...thoughts?

The current plan-
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/363493
Things I don't own yet, the wishlist-
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/390188
My mantra is No effects or drums in eurorack!

Pedals and Drum-machines!
Old 14th January 2017
Gear Guru

I didn't like Warps at all, made one track with some use of it, but I found it too harsh and sweet spots hard to find...sold mine.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
It can't run as a slave at all in 1, dunno about 2. I use Expert Sleepers though, works brilliantly in Bitwig, so have the DAW as the master at all times.
With Bitwig you need some solution like ES or something like a Multiclock also to sync your external gear. The MIDI clock out is completely iffy and MIDI clock in is nonexistant.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Speaking of effects, I'm starting to wonder if I really need to spend $500 + $70 (ZDSP) per card just to be able to control effects with CV...
I'm holding out for Audio Damage EOS,
I hope they get the price right as I feel that drum voice they have just released is grossly over priced here in UK.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty.west View Post
Going to officially start building my modular next week, VERY excited. Endless thanks to all of you that've been a great help. I'll buy used modules whenever possible to help save cash. Will keep you guys posted. My local shop is offering me a 9u Doepfer case w/ power for $599, which seems quite low, any idea which one it might be? I can't recall the name.

P.S. Would have a Phonogene, Erbe-Verb and Clouds all in one 9u case be kind of excessive? I really like them all.

Check if the 9U Doepfer is powered by the old PSU2 (they are still around in shops) or by the newer PSU3 which offers more power and I think it may cost $100 more then units with PSU2, not sure...
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search