The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 9th August 2017
  #5041
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Been looking for bulk euro cables for a while, finally found someone with shorties-
6INCH 3.5mm MONO TS (2 conductor) Male to Male Audio Cable
I'm buying 51
I just got some freebies / samples from Control with another purchase and I really like them. Really low profile compared the the Black Market that I mostly have. They're about twice the price of what you posted, but probably worth it for me.

I also like Control's 3.5mm to 1/4" cables over the HOSA's that I'd been using. Additionally, their new stackables are also nice, but significantly taller than the TipTops. Not worth complaining on that front due to how cheap they are compared to the TipTops. In the long run, I think I still prefer those cheap headphone splitters from Amazon as a passive mult option.
Old 9th August 2017
  #5042
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Some new toys ... The BIA is pretty darn fun as either noise or a bass synth, Voltage Block fills in the need for sequencing the sequencers and handling transposition duties. Plonk is still only a few hour in the rack so I've yet to form much of an opinion on how euro friendly it is. Presets are a bit disappointing, but there are a few in there that show it's a different enough of a voice to justify making room for it.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-image1.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-image2.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-image3.jpg  
3
Share
Old 9th August 2017
  #5043
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I just got some freebies / samples from Control with another purchase and I really like them. Really low profile compared the the Black Market that I mostly have. They're about twice the price of what you posted, but probably worth it for me.

I also like Control's 3.5mm to 1/4" cables over the HOSA's that I'd been using. Additionally, their new stackables are also nice, but significantly taller than the TipTops. Not worth complaining on that front due to how cheap they are compared to the TipTops. In the long run, I think I still prefer those cheap headphone splitters from Amazon as a passive mult option.

At a quantity of 51 cables I'll pay $.55 each for them. That is the best price I have found anywhere. I need a boatload of shorties for all of my cheap headphone splitters I got off amazon. They seem to work great for anything except v/octave. I have like 10 and I use them all sometimes, no way to close the lid with 3 foot cables coming off of them, or using stackables. I'll probably get 51 of the footlongs next.
2
Share
Old 9th August 2017
  #5044
Gear Maniac
By the way, mr. Haus - saw you had Splash on your WTB list there. I tried one and was kind of surprised by how long the minimum decay setting was. Put me off it a bit, but might not be an issue to others. Maybe good to know, anyhow.
1
Share
Old 9th August 2017
  #5045
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Some new toys ... The BIA is pretty darn fun as either noise or a bass synth, Voltage Block fills in the need for sequencing the sequencers and handling transposition duties. Plonk is still only a few hour in the rack so I've yet to form much of an opinion on how euro friendly it is. Presets are a bit disappointing, but there are a few in there that show it's a different enough of a voice to justify making room for it.
nice new toys, the BA and plonk look really cool..
Old 9th August 2017
  #5046
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Some new toys ... The BIA is pretty darn fun as either noise or a bass synth, Voltage Block fills in the need for sequencing the sequencers and handling transposition duties. Plonk is still only a few hour in the rack so I've yet to form much of an opinion on how euro friendly it is. Presets are a bit disappointing, but there are a few in there that show it's a different enough of a voice to justify making room for it.
I'm interested in honest opinions about the Plonk. I've owned Rings since the day it was released and love it enough to want to check out similar modules but part of me thinks there's too much overlap with Plonk. Plus I really think they missed an opportunity by not allowing external exciters. I've been playing with a patch where I have the TT One loaded up with samples of old synth documentaries running into the Rings exciter. It takes Rings way out past the standard strings and percussion stuff it does with the internal exciter.
2
Share
Old 9th August 2017
  #5047
Gear Addict
 
TMT75's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I'm interested in honest opinions about the Plonk. I've owned Rings since the day it was released and love it enough to want to check out similar modules but part of me thinks there's too much overlap with Plonk. Plus I really think they missed an opportunity by not allowing external exciters. I've been playing with a patch where I have the TT One loaded up with samples of old synth documentaries running into the Rings exciter. It takes Rings way out past the standard strings and percussion stuff it does with the internal exciter.
Yeah imo bonuspoints for Rings, but otoh it looks like Plonk excels as a drummodule. Don't get me wrong, with Rings you can also make fantastic drumsounds, but if I had Plonk and Rings, I would use Plonk for the drums and Rings for other sounds.
Old 9th August 2017
  #5048
Quote:
Originally Posted by josker View Post
By the way, mr. Haus - saw you had Splash on your WTB list there. I tried one and was kind of surprised by how long the minimum decay setting was. Put me off it a bit, but might not be an issue to others. Maybe good to know, anyhow.
Yeah it's ok if the bottom end of the decay is long...the demos of the NYX doing those huge cavernous sounds is what turned me on to it. It's going on the second AUX bus of the Performance Mixer, but I have a feeling that the Furthrrrr Generator will get the most play through it. I am also getting the Flame Multi-fx for when I need a shorter verb for drums or whatever.

I didn't know about the decay though, so thanks for the heads up.
Old 9th August 2017
  #5049
Lives for gear
 
lineofcontrol's Avatar
 

Anyone kinda disappointed by their Voltage Block?

Doesn't latch to clock correctly and is next to useless as a melodic sequencer...plus it never magles CV in the way I want!

Could just be user ineptitude though...

and where the hell is @Derp???
Old 9th August 2017
  #5050
Gear Addict
 
TMT75's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT75 View Post
Yeah imo bonuspoints for Rings, but otoh it looks like Plonk excels as a drummodule. Don't get me wrong, with Rings you can also make fantastic drumsounds, but if I had Plonk and Rings, I would use Plonk for the drums and Rings for other sounds.
Ok I am wrong, listening to Plonk demo's..... melodic stuff with Plonks ....... very nice.
Old 9th August 2017
  #5051
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
Anyone kinda disappointed by their Voltage Block?

Doesn't latch to clock correctly and is next to useless as a melodic sequencer...plus it never magles CV in the way I want!

Could just be user ineptitude though...

and where the hell is @Derp???
Never had an issue with clocking it, either from a Pamela's or A-160. Also, not having trouble with tuning, but I'm also feeding it into other quantized inputs; Metropolis, O_C, or Arpitecht. I'd never replace the Metro with a Voltage Block, but my use case is "sequencing other sequencers" to manage transpositions and it works perfectly, a lot easier than trying to do the same with a BSP or SQ-1.
1
Share
Old 9th August 2017
  #5052
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Never had an issue with clocking it, either from a Pamela's or A-160. Also, not having trouble with tuning, but I'm also feeding it into other quantized inputs; Metropolis, O_C, or Arpitecht. I'd never replace the Metro with a Voltage Block, but my use case is "sequencing other sequencers" to manage transpositions and it works perfectly, a lot easier than trying to do the same with a BSP or SQ-1.
BTW ... It was this video that sold me on the BIA and Voltage Block.

Old 9th August 2017
  #5053
Lives for gear
 
Hokut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
Anyone kinda disappointed by their Voltage Block?

Doesn't latch to clock correctly and is next to useless as a melodic sequencer...plus it never magles CV in the way I want!

Could just be user ineptitude though...

and where the hell is @Derp???
I only spent just over one hour with the Voltage Block so far. Well, that was an hour with mainly new modules, not just the voltage block.

I had the Voltage Block clocked from the Pittsburgh Drum Sequencer clock output. During that session, I did not encounter clocking issues. I was using only three channels out of the Voltage Block to output melodic pitch to three oscillators... It was to indeed get familiar with the Voltage Block features. I went through all the functions and messed around a lot with altering the programmed sequences (changing direction, hands-on arpeggios, tweaking length, etc...)
It all worked fine

Creating melodic lines was also ok. Why do you think it is useless as a melodic sequencer? You can change the pitch of each step, you can smooth between steps, if use random you can of course still lock it to scales. It's not like playing melodies on a proper keyboard but considering its features and as a performance tool, my first hands-on impression of it was positive
Old 9th August 2017
  #5054
Lives for gear
 
lineofcontrol's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
I only spent just over one hour with the Voltage Block so far. Well, that was an hour with mainly new modules, not just the voltage block.

I had the Voltage Block clocked from the Pittsburgh Drum Sequencer clock output. During that session, I did not encounter clocking issues. I was using only three channels out of the Voltage Block to output melodic pitch to three oscillators... It was to indeed get familiar with the Voltage Block features. I went through all the functions and messed around a lot with altering the programmed sequences (changing direction, hands-on arpeggios, tweaking length, etc...)
It all worked fine

Creating melodic lines was also ok. Why do you think it is useless as a melodic sequencer? You can change the pitch of each step, you can smooth between steps, if use random you can of course still lock it to scales. It's not like playing melodies on a proper keyboard but considering its features and as a performance tool, my first hands-on impression of it was positive
Funny reading all the positives about it...as I seem to be in the minority...

When I say clock issues - what happens is that if I feed it a steady clock from say the TR606- all 16ths- to track 1- It will only light up track one occasionally and fire my pattern/sequence off randomly rather than how I would expect it.

My scales all seem to be the same(no matter how i move the slider)- Chromatic only- and due to my clock issues the patterns are very haphazard. Also it is waaaaay too large a span of notes. Sounds like about 2 or 3 octaves and so it is difficult to get anything very accurate and melodic.
Old 9th August 2017
  #5055
Lives for gear
 
Hokut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
Funny reading all the positives about it...as I seem to be in the minority...

When I say clock issues - what happens is that if I feed it a steady clock from say the TR606- all 16ths- to track 1- It will only light up track one occasionally and fire my pattern/sequence off randomly rather than how I would expect it.

My scales all seem to be the same(no matter how i move the slider)- Chromatic only- and due to my clock issues the patterns are very haphazard. Also it is waaaaay too large a span of notes. Sounds like about 2 or 3 octaves and so it is difficult to get anything very accurate and melodic.
I did see other people mentioning clock and triggering issues on muffwigler forum, but in some case it was down to how different modules interact with each other, for example, one user had triggering issues from VB to Braids and Rings... then realised the problem was the way Braids and Rings are triggered (difference in Voltage) and problem can be avoided.

one poster said Malekko mentioned they will make an external usb updater to plug into the headers to update the module (because currently there is no way to update the firmware).

If there are issues with the module I hope they do find a way to update it with fixes, otherwise, there will be plenty unhappy people with an expensive door stop. Or, maybe, the issues are user errors and/or specific incompatibility only with a limited number of other specific modules, in which case the issues are somewhat alleviated.

I will eventually test the VB with the Eloquencer, ER101, Octocontroller.... and see how it behaves clocked by these other devices. But can't do that yet, just really busy with other tasks right now.

Edit: Scales
Changing scales did work for me when I tried it
Old 9th August 2017
  #5056
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
BTW ... It was this video that sold me on the BIA and Voltage Block.

yeah voltage block looks really cool, like all modules that require lots of hands on they have to be placed in very particular spots in cases so you can actually be hands on with them..
1
Share
Old 9th August 2017
  #5057
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
yeah voltage block looks really cool, like all modules that require lots of hands on they have to be placed in very particular spots in cases so you can actually be hands on with them..
Yeah, the VB replaced Frames in the upper, right-hand corner of my performance case.

Old 10th August 2017
  #5058
Lives for gear
 
Kubase's Avatar
This isn't modular-specific, but I've been having a lot of success with Battery 4 lately as a compositional tool. My setup isn't big enough to do the whole 'record a live take' thing (well, it is for minimal stuff but not much beyond that) so I have to record as I go to some extent.

What's great about Battery is that because it's designed for drums, you have very easy access to multiple samples. I hear people saying that they hate editing down their takes, well Battery is a good solution for that. I record a minute or two of a single voice, bounce in place in Bitwig and then drag from Bitwig's browser into a cell in Battery. This cell can then be copied as many times as you like. Then, in each cell, I find a chunk that I like, setting start, end and loops as I see fit. There is auto-snapping, reverse, envelopes, loop cross-fades, all the usual stuff, so you can come up with many variations in a single instance of Battery.

Another great thing is that you can enable latching via envelopes, so the samples are not one shots. This means you can set exact playback lengths with midi. Oh yeah, the choke groups are very useful too - I've played around with a droney single note being interrupted with phrases from the same voice.

All in all, it's a very good way to arrange your wiggling!
1
Share
Old 10th August 2017
  #5059
Gear Addict
I bought used Tonestar 2600 some time ago and it has serious issues with tracking, it tracks properly barely one octave. Is it normal in this units or maybe it is faulty item?
Old 10th August 2017
  #5060
It may need calibrating.
Old 10th August 2017
  #5061
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
It may need calibrating.
Ok, how to? Can i make it myself or it has to be some specialist?
Old 10th August 2017
  #5062
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiTeR-aR View Post
I bought used Tonestar 2600 some time ago and it has serious issues with tracking, it tracks properly barely one octave. Is it normal in this units or maybe it is faulty item?
How far off?

My friend and I were doing some testing recently, as I was complaining about my Lifeforms SV1 (which has notoriously bad tuning). He and I both have SV1s and 2600s.. we tested the tuning. Both drifted a tiny bit over a few octaves, but the 2600 was definitely tighter.
Old 10th August 2017
  #5063
I posted about this previously...I'm trying to do a series of videos playing my modular outside. To properly do it in the remote locations I want to, I have been looking at various "power block" options. At first I was just going to order one and try it then if it wasn't enough juice just send it back to get a better one but I think I figured out a better way-

This should allow me to accurately measure how much power the box needs and get the right brick from the beginning. And figure out how much power all my stuff takes, maybe I'll turn it off once in a while.
Old 10th August 2017
  #5064
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I posted about this previously...I'm trying to do a series of videos playing my modular outside. To properly do it in the remote locations I want to, I have been looking at various "power block" options. At first I was just going to order one and try it then if it wasn't enough juice just send it back to get a better one but I think I figured out a better way-

This should allow me to accurately measure how much power the box needs and get the right brick from the beginning. And figure out how much power all my stuff takes, maybe I'll turn it off once in a while.
I have one of those, super useful. Got it when I was gigging lots of ****ty dives with questionable power outlets. good cheap tool to have around to measure actual consumption.
Old 10th August 2017
  #5065
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
I have one of those, super useful. Got it when I was gigging lots of ****ty dives with questionable power outlets. good cheap tool to have around to measure actual consumption.
The exact endorsement I was hoping for. Thanks!
Old 10th August 2017
  #5066
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
How far off?

My friend and I were doing some testing recently, as I was complaining about my Lifeforms SV1 (which has notoriously bad tuning). He and I both have SV1s and 2600s.. we tested the tuning. Both drifted a tiny bit over a few octaves, but the 2600 was definitely tighter.
I haven't measured it with tuner but by ear i can hear that i.e. C to C1 doesn't track properly, it's minor difference, but let's say C to C2 is just out of tune.

So when i would like to play through two octaves or set sequencer that plays in that range it can be audible, especially when using 2600 as the second oscillator to my M32.
Old 10th August 2017
  #5067
I can't see a manual online, or any chat about calibration. Usually analog oscillators need calibrating if they aren't tracking properly.
You might have to contact SE.
Old 10th August 2017
  #5068
Lives for gear
 

Anyone using the 1010music Bitbox? Been rethinking my approach to my modular and have been looking at this one a bit more seriously as it seems like it would pair very well with my Pyramid and allow me to do a lot more complete tracks within my modular, but would love to hear some first hand experience.
Old 10th August 2017
  #5069
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I can't see a manual online, or any chat about calibration. Usually analog oscillators need calibrating if they aren't tracking properly.
You might have to contact SE.
Thanks, i think thats the only way.
Old 10th August 2017
  #5070
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
How far off?

My friend and I were doing some testing recently, as I was complaining about my Lifeforms SV1 (which has notoriously bad tuning). He and I both have SV1s and 2600s.. we tested the tuning. Both drifted a tiny bit over a few octaves, but the 2600 was definitely tighter.
Ok, i measured it and one octave it's 28cents, two octave it's 56 cents!!
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump