The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 1st August 2017
Lives for gear

Right on. Recycle is great. I definitely need an effective CrossFader module and a way to cue things properly.
Old 1st August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
/wants to love EMW but got cheesed once. Cheese me once...
that's unfortunate cause their stuff is very well built and cheap as chips.. You could build a huge system drums and all with all just EMW modules for next to nothing..
Old 1st August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
whoa how good are these EMW drum modules, my god so good, some the kicks are just out of this world..
Yup. Been enjoying mine for a few years now.
Great build and great, usable sounds.
Old 1st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Some new modules that came yesterday, I must say I'm very impressed with the EMW stuff, really well made and heavy to hold...
I do not have EMW modules yet but I have to say every time I look for something I do come across an EMW module that would be good to add to my setup, didn't get any yet because I already had my mind set on specific other modules... but soon I'm going to have to give EMW a go.

I am attracted to some of their small sequencers (trigger, level, cv sequencers), the arcade noise, the Pot Action Recorder (no idea how long it can record for), the Noise Station... and well a few more of their modules...
Old 1st August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
I do not have EMW modules yet but I have to say every time I look for something I do come across an EMW module that would be good to add to my setup, didn't get any yet because I already had my mind set on specific other modules... but soon I'm going to have to give EMW a go.

I am attracted to some of their small sequencers (trigger, level, cv sequencers), the arcade noise, the Pot Action Recorder (no idea how long it can record for), the Noise Station... and well a few more of their modules...
I'm deffo going to be taking a much closer look at their whole range now.. and you know what impressed me also was the ribbon cables, they were nice and long...hoorah !! finally someone gets it and puts long ribbons on in case the power is hard to reach..
Old 1st August 2017
Lives for gear

you just load the same sounds as EMW drum samples onto tiptop one.
I would just go for more TTone's or an ER301 and load anything you want.
Old 1st August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
you just load the same sounds as EMW drum samples onto tiptop one.
I would just go for more TTone's or an ER301 and load anything you want.
tip top plays from a card, the EMW ones play off rom chip, solid and fast and zero latency or lag.. having both is best of both worlds...
Old 1st August 2017
Yes.
Plus the EMW module has some great sounds on board. Not exactly the same as sourcing samples and loading them on to a sample module.
Both is ideal (I have the Pico Drum).
Old 1st August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Yes.
Plus the EMW module has some great sounds on board. Not exactly the same as sourcing samples and loading them on to a sample module.
Both is ideal (I have the Pico Drum).
I was surprised how good the samples sound, lots of classics like Oberheim DMX, Linn drum, 909, 606, 808 and heaps of others..
Old 1st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Personally, I don't get why someone would pick a TipTop One over a Disting Mk4. Even considering it as just a sample player, the Disting does so much more. Clocked sample playback for perfectly sync'd drum loops anyone?
I have the One because the Mk4 was not out when it was released and the Mk3 had the micro sd slot on the back. I'm not that into multi function modules and I have a lot of dedicated utilities so that aspect of the Disting isn't that appealing to me but the sampler does seem more full featured than the One. I'm also disappointed that the One does not recall the selected sample on start up and getting sample selection working via CV is squirrelly at best. So I may upgrade to a mk4 at some point but they are sold out at a lot of my usual haunts and I'm not really in a rush.
Old 1st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
tip top plays from a card, the EMW ones play off rom chip, solid and fast and zero latency or lag.. having both is best of both worlds...
The tiptop lists theirs as 0.25ms latency. EMW site just says 'very low latency'
Are you setup to measure both to compare? (stereo recording L is the multed trigger input, right is the drum triggered output)
Old 1st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post

I only have the EMW Alias. If you're in the market for a good sub-bass type VCO that tunes easily and stays, or something to create some booming kicks, you can't go wrong with one of those for the price.
Old 1st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Macbeth Micromac D
That thing looks and sounds fantastic and has a robust feature set. It seemed expensive at first but then I listened to all of the details in the official video. Dope.
Old 1st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
That thing looks and sounds fantastic and has a robust feature set. It seemed expensive at first but then I listened to all of the details in the official video. Dope.
I think it's one of the best sounding synths I've ever played. It's a pity they're so difficult to find because expensive or not I would buy a second one if I could.

I'm not sure if you saw, but I recently posted a Micromac-D solo track in the Post-Your-Electronic-Music-Here Thread (which hardly anyone ever goes to, myself pathetic self included). It's a bit strange, but... well, it's more Micromac, if you're interested.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/post...ac-d-solo.html
Old 1st August 2017
Lives for gear

Hey you DIYers! I've decided to build myself an Ardcore and if this goes well I'll try a Ripples and a Radio Music Thing. I never thought I'd do this and seemed to have got over my fear of soldering even though I haven't done any yet (false optimism). Anyway I've sourced the components and wanted to ask what pots you use and recommend. I like the smooth feel of the MI ones and Maths are okay too but I don't like the stiff Doepfer ones so much. I've seen they have some okay ones on Thonk but wanted to source some on Mouser and get all components together. Any pots you can recommend?
Old 1st August 2017
Lives for gear

I purchased my first module in a few months the other day, Mutable Instruments Ears. For those who have Ears already, any external contact mics you like that you can point me towards? The iBeam one Leafcutter John used in his demo is pretty sweet, but more than I'd like to spend (it's basically as expensive as the module itself!).
Old 1st August 2017
Lives for gear

Are Derp and Cane Creek on holiday? We miss you!

Have others dispersed as well? Seems a bit quiet around here?
Old 1st August 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Hey you DIYers! I've decided to build myself an Ardcore and if this goes well I'll try a Ripples and a Radio Music Thing. I never thought I'd do this and seemed to have got over my fear of soldering even though I haven't done any yet (false optimism). Anyway I've sourced the components and wanted to ask what pots you use and recommend. I like the smooth feel of the MI ones and Maths are okay too but I don't like the stiff Doepfer ones so much. I've seen they have some okay ones on Thonk but wanted to source some on Mouser and get all components together. Any pots you can recommend?
I've been taking a break from DIY. But for POTs, Alphas from Tayda are the generic go-to. For something nicer, I'm not really sure. Check the BOM too.

For DIY, I'd guess the radio music thing is the best first try. Ripples and Ardcore I assume are SMD, so those will be a bit harder. I've had more hit-and-miss luck with SMD.
Old 2nd August 2017
Just finished off my first 96 hp

Old 2nd August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by sook View Post
Just finished off my first 96 hp

Very cool. Would love to hear what you do with your Furthrrrr Generator. I absolutely love mine.
Old 2nd August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
The tiptop lists theirs as 0.25ms latency. EMW site just says 'very low latency'
Are you setup to measure both to compare? (stereo recording L is the multed trigger input, right is the drum triggered output)
Here's the thing.
The EMW module just works, is simple to use and sounds great.
They are different. I use a simple module sampler too. I doubt a TT One replaces an EMW Digi-Drum module because they are different.
The EMW is like a rompler with great onboard sounds. I use my sampler (Pico Drum in my case) to play back my own drum sounds and other samples besides.
Different modules for different uses.
Old 2nd August 2017
Old 2nd August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Here's the thing.
The EMW module just works, is simple to use and sounds great.
They are different. I use a simple module sampler too. I doubt a TT One replaces an EMW Digi-Drum module because they are different.
The EMW is like a rompler with great onboard sounds. I use my sampler (Pico Drum in my case) to play back my own drum sounds and other samples besides.
Different modules for different uses.
yes these EMW drum modules are just really good romplers, something I've wanted in my case from day one, sometimes you just want quick access to drum sounds to see how they blend/sound alongside synth noises and riffs you're working on, this suits me perfectly.. plus you can cv the drum selection on the T- drum so a nice square wave lfo could change the sounds randomly etc I've always liked having sounds available in ROM when writing music, it's funny how often they can be relied upon to fill a gap quickly..
Old 2nd August 2017
Lives for gear

Old 2nd August 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
What an amazing DRUM GROOVE!
What have you used for ( DAW ? )
Old 2nd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaofisher View Post
What an amazing DRUM GROOVE!
What have you used for ( DAW ? )
Thanks. All done in REAPER but the real credit for the drums goes to Jamstix. If you've never used it's...quirky. More or less a composition engine for drums. Not unlike having to deal with a real drummer at times...but just like with drummers sometimes you can get Jamstix doing what you want and things get interesting. The sounds are from Addictive Drums, I think they're better than the Rayzoon sound sets (though it all gets heavily processed anyway so).
Old 2nd August 2017
Lives for gear

Blimey the price of modules in the UK is crazy,

I got a Qu-Bit Contour in june for £200, the very same shop is now selling them for £272
Old 2nd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Are Derp and Cane Creek on holiday? We miss you!

Have others dispersed as well? Seems a bit quiet around here?
Thank you for Missing me ,
My new job has me working a lot of hours which keeps me away from the forum and my modular,

I don't think Derp will mind if i mention that he did post on Facebook on 25th july so i assume he's ok, he's probably just bogged down with stuff like me
Old 2nd August 2017
Lives for gear
whoo-hoo!
Old 2nd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Blimey the price of modules in the UK is crazy,

I got a Qu-Bit Contour in june for £200, the very same shop is now selling them for £272
Totally! I was thinking about buying an Atlantis before; it was £525 at DV247 (UK) in March/April then in May the price went up to £600. I emailed to ask them and they said their prices fluctuate all the time. No!

Korgasmatron was £289 at Rubadub last year now it's £359.
Harvestman Hertz Donut II was listed at £269 and the cheapest I see is now £369.

I ended up buying the E-352 from the States after I worked it was £100 cheaper taking into account VAT and import duty.

I'm going DIY! Well apart from the Behringer DM desktop and Moog D when it comes out
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search