The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 30th July 2017
  #4951
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Any noodlers who also partake in some Arduino coding? I've been thinking I'd like to try and code some functionality, somewhat inspired by MI open source stuff. But want to try Arduino, which I have and understand so a good starting point. So I wondered if anyone else has tried this. I've found three formats the Ardcore, Euroduino and Mozmo which seems unavailable. The Ardcore seems to have the most developed community and code behind so I feel this is the best option.

20Objects - Ardcore Overview
Discussed here - https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi...dcore&start=25

Euro-Duino Kit

MozMo : the brilliant Arduino Mozzi synth in an Eurorack hardware. – Polaxis

PS. Seems to be getting quieter recently. Everyone on their hols?
Old 30th July 2017
  #4952
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
dunno about any coding or making/building my own modules, don't really have the aptitude for any of that. I do however have a desire to make my own wooden cases, I have a garage and large wooden work bench, tools etc, the only thing stopping me is time at the moment..
3
Share
Old 30th July 2017
  #4953
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidCity View Post
which case here has the most room?

A 12u 104hp

A Pittsburgh ep-420

Or A Pittsburgh ep-360

Am I correcting in understanding that the Pittsburg ep-420 is the biggest? It beats the 12u by 4 hp right? If the ep-360 is smaller why does it cost $100 more than a 420? Thanks in advance for the help, stupid question, I'm new.
the EP-360 costs more because of the lid.
Old 30th July 2017
  #4954
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
correct me if I'm wrong but the Pittsburgh cases use sliding nuts..??! yuk..!!
Old 30th July 2017
  #4955
Gear Nut
 
tadgreedy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
... I do however have a desire to make my own wooden cases, I have a garage and large wooden work bench, tools etc, the only thing stopping me is time at the moment...
Go for it man!
1
Share
Old 30th July 2017
  #4956
Gear Addict
 
zobbo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Any noodlers who also partake in some Arduino coding? I've been thinking I'd like to try and code some functionality, somewhat inspired by MI open source stuff. But want to try Arduino, which I have and understand so a good starting point. So I wondered if anyone else has tried this. I've found three formats the Ardcore, Euroduino and Mozmo which seems unavailable. The Ardcore seems to have the most developed community and code behind so I feel this is the best option.

20Objects - Ardcore Overview
Discussed here - https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi...dcore&start=25

Euro-Duino Kit

MozMo : the brilliant Arduino Mozzi synth in an Eurorack hardware. – Polaxis

PS. Seems to be getting quieter recently. Everyone on their hols?
I have an Ardcore and various Arduinos parked around but all I've done was write some code to make a standalone MIDI Controller for my Ambika. I really need to spend some time with the Ardcore again... TIME, I NEED TIME
1
Share
Old 30th July 2017
  #4957
Lives for gear
 
lineofcontrol's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFM View Post
I actually like this one thread!
Yeah it's nice to have only 1 place to go.

But I do sometimes feel it moves so fast that things get lost.

And as to the Rainmaker. I don't know anyone other than Richard Devine who has one. Not that I know him!

I think it was too big, too expensive and rather complex AHD confusing for most users.
Old 30th July 2017
  #4958
RiF
Lives for gear
 
RiF's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Also, regarding DAW (Ableton) integration, is there anything else that's needed beyond an Expert Sleepers (ES3 or ES8) in order to play nicely with a Mother32 and an MS20?

I think I read something about differences in the Moog voltages or something, and I saw some module that I think was meant for MS20 integration? I can't recall.
Moog is 1v/oct and works great with any Eurorack module.
Korg is Hz/V and even has a different gate signal, so it needs conversion from v/oct to Hz/V through a module like the English Tear.
The MS 20 Module works with V/oct afaik, though.

To sum it up: Moog=Ok, Korg=Hassle.
Old 30th July 2017
  #4959
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
Moog is 1v/oct and works great with any Eurorack module.
Korg is Hz/V and even has a different gate signal, so it needs conversion from v/oct to Hz/V through a module like the English Tear.
The MS 20 Module works with V/oct afaik, though.

To sum it up: Moog=Ok, Korg=Hassle.
Old moog also needs s-trig instead of standard gate.
Old 30th July 2017
  #4960
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
correct me if I'm wrong but the Pittsburgh cases use sliding nuts..??! yuk..!!
Yeah. The new structure ones seem slideyer than the cells which mean they don't get stuck as much but they can also get out from underneath your driver easier. I have my main rig in a structure 208 and it's been very solid. I think they finally have the kinks worked out of their power supplies. There were issues with both the move and cell lines.
Old 30th July 2017
  #4961
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
I just picked up an Edges dead cheap. I wouldn't normally think of buying this new but less than 1/2 price I thought it was worth checking it out. From listening to the waveforms on youtube it doesn't sound really lo-fi and some good examples of drones and percussion. I get the impression this is capable of a lot if you get creative with it.

Has everyone left? It seems very quiet in here?
Old 30th July 2017
  #4962
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I just picked up an Edges dead cheap. I wouldn't normally think of buying this new but less than 1/2 price I thought it was worth checking it out. From listening to the waveforms on youtube it doesn't sound really lo-fi and some good examples of drones and percussion. I get the impression this is capable of a lot if you get creative with it.

Has everyone left? It seems very quiet in here?
I had an edges for a while, bought it on impulse because it's being discontinued and didn't want to miss out, sold it a while ago, found no real musical use for it my productions.
Old 31st July 2017
  #4963
Gear Addict
 
apropos of noth's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
whoa this was really something different for a change, don't think I've heard anyone do any dub from a modular, lots of cool movement in the stereo space too..nice one.
Thanks for checking it out. I actually think dub as a form is pretty well suited to modular, especially with powerful sampling available, like ER-301. Have you read Ocean of Sound by David Toop? A little dated seeming, maybe, these days, but a good read overall, and thought-provoking. He makes the case, and I'm rather with him, that dub, ambient, gamelan and various other non-western musics, and the impressionistic strain of Eurorpean art musics such as Debussy are sort of next-door neighbors in the area of non-narrative musical form. Worth a checkout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Hi, I've been considering whether a joystick control could be useful for my setup. Does anyone have one and do they use it/find it useful? I've always thought they are just a fancy modulation wheel and a bit gimmicky.
Seconding what @ngarjuna said, I love Planar. In addition to the x/y function, it is also a DJ crossfader for up to four audio signals, and also can be used as a way to to integrate different CV sources. I like it most when I use a combination of these functionalities at once--The combo of audio-crossfading and then control of various parameters of another voice is pretty powerful. I got it because I wanted the x/y function, but the extra features make it a lot deeper module than one might initially expect.
1
Share
Old 31st July 2017
  #4964
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
Moog is 1v/oct and works great with any Eurorack module.
Korg is Hz/V and even has a different gate signal, so it needs conversion from v/oct to Hz/V through a module like the English Tear.
The MS 20 Module works with V/oct afaik, though.

To sum it up: Moog=Ok, Korg=Hassle.
Moog is 1v/oct - but it's also not 0-10, but -5/+5 if I recall.
Old 31st July 2017
  #4965
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos of noth View Post
I actually think dub as a form is pretty well suited to modular...
I agree... and would like to do something in this direction myself with modular someday. I also enjoyed your track. It was… well, different. Abstract but not grooveless. It was just on the edge—the right edge for my tastes. When groove music becomes too abstract or disjunct, it loses its purpose for me. Yours managed not to do that while, at the same time, cleverly avoiding straight up dub music patterns.

Btw were some (or all) of the scenes taken in your area? I have nostalgic feelings for Spanish moss. One set of grand parents lived in Mobile, Alabama... the other in North Florida, east of Tallahassee. Lots of Spanish moss in those parts.
2
Share
Old 31st July 2017
  #4966
Gear Addict
 
apropos of noth's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
I agree... and would like to do something in this direction myself with modular someday. I also enjoyed your track. It was… well, different. Abstract but not grooveless. It was just on the edge—the right edge for my tastes. When groove music becomes too abstract or disjunct, it loses its purpose for me. Yours managed not to do that while, at the same time, cleverly avoiding straight up dub music patterns.

Btw were some (or all) of the scenes taken in your area? I have nostalgic feelings for Spanish moss. One set of grand parents lived in Mobile, Alabama... the other in North Florida, east of Tallahassee. Lots of Spanish moss in those parts.
Thanks for checking it out, and for the compliment. I'm also enjoying your channel. I really like a lot of abstract modern, romantic, and post-tonal music, and also I'm a huge sucker for pop music of various forms, so really like to try and mix those ideas. I'm also really enjoying being able to mix in more performance based ideas (guitar, organ) into my modular jams, thanks to sampling.

The video footage is from a trip I took to New Orleans in January of this year. I like to use photos and video from trips to break up my videos, as my mug is only so compelling. I'm in Michigan, about an hour out of Detroit. I was living for many years in NC, and really miss a lot of things about the area I was in, especially foliage and sometimes weather.
1
Share
Old 31st July 2017
  #4967
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos of noth View Post
Thanks for checking it out, and for the compliment. I'm also enjoying your channel. I really like a lot of abstract modern, romantic, and post-tonal music, and also I'm a huge sucker for pop music of various forms, so really like to try and mix those ideas. I'm also really enjoying being able to mix in more performance based ideas (guitar, organ) into my modular jams, thanks to sampling.

The video footage is from a trip I took to New Orleans in January of this year. I like to use photos and video from trips to break up my videos, as my mug is only so compelling. I'm in Michigan, about an hour out of Detroit. I was living for many years in NC, and really miss a lot of things about the area I was in, especially foliage and sometimes weather.
You know, I thought that might be New Orleans…

Thanks for the kinds words regarding my own work. You probably noticed I’m all over the place musically. You might also have noticed there’s almost no modular work. I’m hoping that will change, but…

…since getting into modular around 2012, I’ve felt there was a lot to learn first. I’m also still not sure yet which direction I want to take musically. There are currently two competing directions: one a more traditional, controlled Berlin school sequencer + sustained chords/drone/melody and another more abstract, atonal, aleatoric and leaning towards academic (which is actually where I started, having first studied electronic music in a structured, music conservatory setting).

In any case, all of it still feels half-baked (myself included ), so… it may be awhile before I release any modular work. In the meantime, it's nice to enjoy the work of others.

Btw, whereabouts in NC, if I may ask?
1
Share
Old 31st July 2017
  #4968
Lives for gear
 

Such a small world, as my people and I are from Alabama and Louisiana.
1
Share
Old 31st July 2017
  #4969
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

Great! My family still has a farm—half of which is swamp—in the Florida panhandle. I know that part of the world well.

I’ve seen lots of snakes, gators—and, of course, Spanish moss!
1
Share
Old 1st August 2017
  #4970
Lives for gear
 
lineofcontrol's Avatar
 

Where has @Derp gone???

I'm worried about him!
1
Share
Old 1st August 2017
  #4971
Lives for gear
 
Hokut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
Where has @Derp gone???

I'm worried about him!
Yes, I think we have all been worrying about Derp... surely all waiting for him to just come back from holiday or something, but this prolonged silence is very worrying.

Anyone here knows him personally or knows more about his well-being?
1
Share
Old 1st August 2017
  #4972
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Great! My family still has a farm—half of which is swamp—in the Florida panhandle. I know that part of the world well.

I’ve seen lots of snakes, gators—and, of course, Spanish moss!
I grew up in Florida. You forgot armodillos.
1
Share
Old 1st August 2017
  #4973
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Some new modules that came yesterday, I must say I'm very impressed with the EMW stuff, really well made and heavy to hold...
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-img_6819.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-img_6820.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-img_6816.jpg  
3
Share
Old 1st August 2017
  #4974
Gear Addict
 
apropos of noth's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
Yes, I think we have all been worrying about Derp... surely all waiting for him to just come back from holiday or something, but this prolonged silence is very worrying.

Anyone here knows him personally or knows more about his well-being?
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12678321-post4140.html

I bet a house move accounts.
Old 1st August 2017
  #4975
Gear Addict
 
apropos of noth's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
You know, I thought that might be New Orleans…

Thanks for the kinds words regarding my own work. You probably noticed I’m all over the place musically. You might also have noticed there’s almost no modular work. I’m hoping that will change, but…

…since getting into modular around 2012, I’ve felt there was a lot to learn first. I’m also still not sure yet which direction I want to take musically. There are currently two competing directions: one a more traditional, controlled Berlin school sequencer + sustained chords/drone/melody and another more abstract, atonal, aleatoric and leaning towards academic (which is actually where I started, having first studied electronic music in a structured, music conservatory setting).

In any case, all of it still feels half-baked (myself included ), so… it may be awhile before I release any modular work. In the meantime, it's nice to enjoy the work of others.

Btw, whereabouts in NC, if I may ask?
I was in the triangle area--a little town outside Chapel Hill, Hillsborough. Really good BBQ, breweries and cappuccinos. The artsy-est town of 6000 I've ever seen. Really miss it.

I don't post a jam unless I'm reasonably sure of it, and I still end up wanting to pull about half of em down, so totally know what you mean about figuring out how to approach it....
2
Share
Old 1st August 2017
  #4976
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
whoa how good are these EMW drum modules, my god so good, some the kicks are just out of this world..
Old 1st August 2017
  #4977
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Some new modules that came yesterday, I must say I'm very impressed with the EMW stuff, really well made and heavy to hold...
I think those TipTop Ones have a lot of potential on the cheap.
Old 1st August 2017
  #4978
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
I think those TipTop Ones have a lot of potential on the cheap.
I've got two of them now, always wanted two so I could put some breaks on the cards and mix between them with my blender mixer, kinda like dj'ing but on a modular, haven't quite got around to that yet, only got the second One yesterday but soon I will dump a whole bunch of breaks I've been slicing in recycle on my macbook into both modules and see how it goes.

if you just want really nice clean loud and tasty drum ROMs these EMW modules are fantastic, zero letency and very nicely captured, I've been dancing around all morning making beats with them..so good..!!
1
Share
Old 1st August 2017
  #4979
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
I think those TipTop Ones have a lot of potential on the cheap.
Personally, I don't get why someone would pick a TipTop One over a Disting Mk4. Even considering it as just a sample player, the Disting does so much more. Clocked sample playback for perfectly sync'd drum loops anyone?
2
Share
Old 1st August 2017
  #4980
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I've got two of them now, always wanted two so I could put some breaks on the cards and mix between them with my blender mixer, kinda like dj'ing but on a modular, haven't quite got around to that yet, only got the second One yesterday but soon I will dump a whole bunch of breaks I've been slicing in recycle on my macbook into both modules and see how it goes.

if you just want really nice clean loud and tasty drum ROMs these EMW modules are fantastic, zero letency and very nicely captured, I've been dancing around all morning making beats with them..so good..!!
/wants to love EMW but got cheesed once. Cheese me once...
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump