The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 27th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Moog M32 pitch voltage goes from -5 to +5 volts. For ms20 you want English Tear I think...I'm on my phone. If expert sleepers doesn't go low enough on it's own you might be able to use a Beast's Chalkboard to get it there.
In theory, the Disting should be able to do the voltage conversion also. It's the Linear/Exponential Converter algorithm on either the Mk3 or Mk4. I think you'd be better off with the ES3 or ES8 though.
Old 27th July 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
@fiddlestickz, didn't you get a Morphogene? If so, what do you (or anyone else) think about them? Worth it?
yes I did but sold it, found it way to cryptic and fiddly to use.. I prefer simple straightforward gear that lets me keep the creative juices flowing..
Old 27th July 2017
Lives for gear

According to a thread on MW (an MS-20 user) Silent Way can handle Hz/oct. There were apparently issues requiring an offset for some uses but SW has offsets built into everything.
Old 27th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also, regarding DAW (Ableton) integration, is there anything else that's needed beyond an Expert Sleepers (ES3 or ES8) in order to play nicely with a Mother32 and an MS20?

I think I read something about differences in the Moog voltages or something, and I saw some module that I think was meant for MS20 integration? I can't recall.
For the Mother, getting an ES-5 to partner the 3 is a good move. You would then have sample accurate midi out for pitch and gate from one hole. Plus it's just great anyway. Having said that, now I have the M32s built in sequencer sussed I use it almost exclusively.

Also, switch to Bitwig The built in CV devices and modulation is off the charts. If you're all Expert Sleepered up it's the business, particularly for complex modulation sources.
Old 27th July 2017
Lives for gear

I'm loving my morphagene. super fun to work with.
my only trouble is making reels with markers, to load. I keep having to look up the instructions to do it in audacity, but it's a bust 80% of the time.
I'll be upgrading the firmware and start doing it in audition, which I'm much more familiar with.
but it's a great module. spend a few hours practicing the button combinations to learn how they work.
Old 28th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
According to a thread on MW (an MS-20 user) Silent Way can handle Hz/oct. There were apparently issues requiring an offset for some uses but SW has offsets built into everything.
So an ES8 (for instance) and Silent Way could together remove the need for the English Tear, since Silent Way could do the Hz/Oct duties as well as its other abilities? I'd never even heard of Silent Way before you mentioned it. Big thanks.

The English Tear seems like a fine enough module, and not too expensive, but that's not many converted I/O to use, ultimately. It's almost as though you'd need a couple or three English Tears to do much outboard + MS20 patching at once.

Is that right?

Also, and I feel sort of dumb for asking, but I think I just realized that the ES3 is meant to take an existing Lightpipe from me and convert that to DC coupled CV, as in - you have to have an available Lightpipe out of your own for it to work, right?

I don't have anything in Lightpipe anymore, so that seems to rule out an ES3?

Either way, thank you all for the responses. Very helpful, as usual. Best thread on GS.
Old 28th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
For the Mother, getting an ES-5 to partner the 3 is a good move. You would then have sample accurate midi out for pitch and gate from one hole. Plus it's just great anyway. Having said that, now I have the M32s built in sequencer sussed I use it almost exclusively.

Also, switch to Bitwig The built in CV devices and modulation is off the charts. If you're all Expert Sleepered up it's the business, particularly for complex modulation sources.
Interesting, thanks.

I've never given Bitwig any thought. I'm quite satisfied with Live 9.5, love it really, especially after years of everything from Cakewalk to Logic and a few others, but I'll check out Bitwig for at least some duties, especially if the CV integration is tits.
Old 28th July 2017
Lives for gear

Hi, I've been considering whether a joystick control could be useful for my setup. Does anyone have one and do they use it/find it useful? I've always thought they are just a fancy modulation wheel and a bit gimmicky. Isn't it just an alternative way of tweaking knobs? Okay it's not just x and y, it can do z as well but I'm not sure if that's really so useful to me. The only time I have used that kind of x,y,z control is for modulation on soft synths and always thought yeh, mmm... okay and only ever used a couple of times. I can see how using it for cross modulation is useful.
Old 28th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Hi, I've been considering whether a joystick control could be useful for my setup. Does anyone have one and do they use it/find it useful? I've always thought they are just a fancy modulation wheel and a bit gimmicky. Isn't it just an alternative way of tweaking knobs? Okay it's not just x and y, it can do z as well but I'm not sure if that's really so useful to me. The only time I have used that kind of x,y,z control is for modulation on soft synths and always thought yeh, mmm... okay and only ever used a couple of times. I can see how using it for cross modulation is useful.
Hi, I have been looking at joysticks for a while, was considering smaller ones from Ladik, Befaco, Erica, Blue Lantern, etc... some of the makers do have two types (one smaller one bigger)... then I decided to go with the 14Hp Intellijel Planar because it has plenty features I should find useful so trying to make the most of the HP needed for a joystick. (4 inputs to vector mix with, quad panning of one input, that sense gate thing, manual gate button... and of course CV outs...)

I did receive the planar but like some other recent arrival, I didn't install it yet. Just about to finished with 95% of acoustic treatment and most of the overall cable repatching (and damn, need to see the dentist, painful tooth!)...

I should get it plugged in soon and if I find it useful as I hope, I will also consider maybe smaller joystick for a smaller case. Will give feedback ASAP but I am sure other people here do already have joysticks-experience under their belt
Old 28th July 2017
Gear Guru

I've thought about a joystick a few times with my modular but every time I realise I can do the same things using CV/LFO'S ETC..

Finally got a few hrs to spare today and fired up the Jellysquasher and had a jam. Patched up some bussed drums through tip top mix module, kick, snare, clap and hats, all bussed to the input, sounded really fat, bloody loud or what.. wow, the effects are really really nice, talk about low fi warmth and saturation..

got a few more modules to come and the entire monster drum machine will be compete, if Reptil can secure me the Sample slicer that will be the very last or second last module to finish the whole case. Got a couple of EMW drum romplers coming, also on route is a SSF Analog random, another tip top one and when it's released the SSF Entity percussion module. Then I'll make a nice demo video of the entire case performing as one mammoth drum machine..
Old 28th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So an ES8 (for instance) and Silent Way could together remove the need for the English Tear, since Silent Way could do the Hz/Oct duties as well as its other abilities? I'd never even heard of Silent Way before you mentioned it. Big thanks.

The English Tear seems like a fine enough module, and not too expensive, but that's not many converted I/O to use, ultimately. It's almost as though you'd need a couple or three English Tears to do much outboard + MS20 patching at once.

Is that right?

Also, and I feel sort of dumb for asking, but I think I just realized that the ES3 is meant to take an existing Lightpipe from me and convert that to DC coupled CV, as in - you have to have an available Lightpipe out of your own for it to work, right?

I don't have anything in Lightpipe anymore, so that seems to rule out an ES3?

Either way, thank you all for the responses. Very helpful, as usual. Best thread on GS.
Unfortunately I have no experience with the hardware, I run SW out of my MOTU 828 (since MOTUs have DC coupled outputs you don't need ES hardware to run Silent Way).
Old 28th July 2017
Lives for gear

What's everybody's take on the rainmaker? Does it work well as your everyday effect or will it just take over the case with its complexity and sound that it will take your attention and time away from the other modules?

Last edited by TonyFM; 12th October 2017 at 09:34 PM..
Old 28th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Does it work directly, without Silent Way?

I'm ES-40 up with 4 expander modules, cant imagine how stuff like ESX-8CV will work without 8CV Combiner plugin which is a kinda demultiplexer on a hardware level
Old 28th July 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFM View Post
What's everybody's take on the rainmaker? Does it work well as your everyday effect or will it just take over the case with its comexity and sound that it will take your attention and time away from the other modules?
I don't think I've read about anyone here having one tbh...it looks an overly complex beast, not cheap either, knowing intellijel it will be a great sounding module..
Old 28th July 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I've thought about a joystick a few times with my modular but every time I realise I can do the same things using CV/LFO'S ETC..

Finally got a few hrs to spare today and fired up the Jellysquasher and had a jam. Patched up some bussed drums through tip top mix module, kick, snare, clap and hats, all bussed to the input, sounded really fat, bloody loud or what.. wow, the effects are really really nice, talk about low fi warmth and saturation..

got a few more modules to come and the entire monster drum machine will be compete, if Reptil can secure me the Sample slicer that will be the very last or second last module to finish the whole case. Got a couple of EMW drum romplers coming, also on route is a SSF Analog random, another tip top one and when it's released the SSF Entity percussion module. Then I'll make a nice demo video of the entire case performing as one mammoth drum machine..
Would love to see/hear something that has the Jellysquasher - it's almost inpossible to find demos of it, which is really strange.
Old 28th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorfinity View Post
Does it work directly, without Silent Way?

I'm ES-40 up with 4 expander modules, cant imagine how stuff like ESX-8CV will work without 8CV Combiner plugin which is a kinda demultiplexer on a hardware level
I still use some SW stuff (clocks, etc.) as I have them in my template, but when it comes to 'as I go' stuff I just use the native Bitwig tools now. There's the Hardware CV Instrument device (like a simplified, but easier to use SW Voice Controller) and (my fave) is the Hardware CV Out. This is basically just a single knob, but the real power is in Bitwig's native modulation (random, LFO's, envelopes, you name it). You can have 6 of these on each device with full control, including cross modulation.

I only have the ES-3 and 5 however, and nothing going into Bitwig.
Old 28th July 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by josker View Post
Would love to see/hear something that has the Jellysquasher - it's almost inpossible to find demos of it, which is really strange.
it's the first module I've ever seen that has a big old transformer mounted on the back of it, it's a heavy bugger i tell you, really aggressive and gritty sounding.. I love that about it.
Old 28th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
Hi, I have been looking at joysticks for a while, was considering smaller ones from Ladik, Befaco, Erica, Blue Lantern, etc... some of the makers do have two types (one smaller one bigger)... then I decided to go with the 14Hp Intellijel Planar because it has plenty features I should find useful so trying to make the most of the HP needed for a joystick. (4 inputs to vector mix with, quad panning of one input, that sense gate thing, manual gate button... and of course CV outs...)

I did receive the planar but like some other recent arrival, I didn't install it yet. Just about to finished with 95% of acoustic treatment and most of the overall cable repatching (and damn, need to see the dentist, painful tooth!)...

I should get it plugged in soon and if I find it useful as I hope, I will also consider maybe smaller joystick for a smaller case. Will give feedback ASAP but I am sure other people here do already have joysticks-experience under their belt
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post

@ Fiddlesticks -I've also thought well isn't just an alternative way of doing modulation that you could do otherwise.

I was looking at a low end one just to try out like the Ladik or something. The planar is a bit of a big investment to try it out but looks very capable - Would be very interested to hear what you think.
Old 28th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
@ Fiddlesticks -I've also thought well isn't just an alternative way of doing modulation that you could do otherwise.

I was looking at a low end one just to try out like the Ladik or something. The planar is a bit of a big investment to try it out but looks very capable - Would be very interested to hear what you think.
The Planar is more than just the joystick: the VCAs, the movement detector/gate sensor give it some pretty cool options that other joysticks don't seem to offer.
Old 28th July 2017
Lives for gear

I like Frames for live control of lots of things. One of it's many uses.
Old 28th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
I still use some SW stuff (clocks, etc.) as I have them in my template, but when it comes to 'as I go' stuff I just use the native tools now. There's the Hardware CV Instrument device (like a simplified, but easier to use SW Voice Controller) and (my fave) is the Hardware CV Out. This is basically just a single knob, but the real power is in Bitwig's native modulation (random, LFO's, envelopes, you name it). You can have 6 of these on each device with full control, including cross modulation.

I only have the and 5 however, and nothing going into Bitwig.
thanks, that sounds interesting. I suppose, functionally it won't surpass my template with around 40-50 plugins routed inside Plogue Bidule (basically software modular system for control duties - step sequencers, clocks, quantizers etc), but streamlined UI and uhm _directness_ of control appeals as much.

i guess I'd try it in my spare time if Bitwig has demo version.
Old 28th July 2017
Gear Addict

King Cake Dub

ER-301 on guitar, organ, triplet hat and percussion fills (slices are being picked by Batumi LFO). E-580, Owl Modular and my board on reverb and delay. Bass is Tides in oscillator mode with an envelope LPG'ing it. Rings makes bells, DrumDokta 2 is doing main drum duties. The arpeggiated synth is a Rubicon FM'ed by Sputnik Oscillator, played with a Micron, one of the sliders of which opens a VCA for the FM, as well as increasing the feedback on the delay.

As far as sequencing, a lot is happening with Circuit Abbey G8 in binary mode logic combined with Animodule Tiktok via Ladik Bool02 and Bool03. Some pitch values are coming from Metropolis, but almost no timing-- e.g. Rings is getting pitch from Kinks S&H fed by Metropolis.

There's also a fun sub-patch thing happening with the bass: I have a Ladik flipflop that is clocked off of the Tiktok, but triggered from Chaos Brother, so periodically the flipflop fires off a Maths envelope which feeds Intellijel uScale 2, which feeds the pitch on the bass (via a little slewing courtesy the other channel of Maths). Ends up being in time, but not deterministic.
Old 28th July 2017
Gear Head

Case Confusion

which case here has the most room?

A 12u 104hp

A Pittsburgh ep-420

Or A Pittsburgh ep-360

Am I correcting in understanding that the Pittsburg ep-420 is the biggest? It beats the 12u by 4 hp right? If the ep-360 is smaller why does it cost $100 more than a 420? Thanks in advance for the help, stupid question, I'm new.
Old 28th July 2017
Lives for gear

About joysticks… I can understand how some people might be underwhelmed by them but I find them fun to play. I use a Doepfer A-147, one of the simplest ones out there. I like to assign X to things like PWM on a VCO and Y to filter cutoff or resonance… pretty basic stuff… as in the short clip below (which can also double as a quick Stepper Acid demo ).
Attached Files

Stepper_Acid_Sequence_01.mp3 (5.00 MB, 796 views)

Old 29th July 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos of noth View Post
King Cake Dub

ER-301 on guitar, organ, triplet hat and percussion fills (slices are being picked by Batumi LFO). E-580, Owl Modular and my board on reverb and delay. Bass is Tides in oscillator mode with an envelope LPG'ing it. Rings makes bells, DrumDokta 2 is doing main drum duties. The arpeggiated synth is a Rubicon FM'ed by Sputnik Oscillator, played with a Micron, one of the sliders of which opens a VCA for the FM, as well as increasing the feedback on the delay.

As far as sequencing, a lot is happening with Circuit Abbey G8 in binary mode logic combined with Animodule Tiktok via Ladik Bool02 and Bool03. Some pitch values are coming from Metropolis, but almost no timing-- e.g. Rings is getting pitch from Kinks S&H fed by Metropolis.

There's also a fun sub-patch thing happening with the bass: I have a Ladik flipflop that is clocked off of the Tiktok, but triggered from Chaos Brother, so periodically the flipflop fires off a Maths envelope which feeds Intellijel uScale 2, which feeds the pitch on the bass (via a little slewing courtesy the other channel of Maths). Ends up being in time, but not deterministic.
whoa this was really something different for a change, don't think I've heard anyone do any dub from a modular, lots of cool movement in the stereo space too..nice one.
Old 29th July 2017
Lives for gear

@apropos of noth
that was quite impressive!

----

Was just reading a verbos harmonic osc thread (literally the 2nd module I ever got after a maths. Love the thing to death) and came across dope little composition.

Perfect for saturday morning.

also, I wish there was a subforum.
Old 29th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
also, I wish there was a subforum.
I agree: there should be a subforum for modular. Having one thread like this is entertaining, but… hardly a substitute for a dedicated forum.

Perhaps we should organize a petition—something a little more formal than just wishing there was a subforum? I would sign, for sure!
Old 29th July 2017
Lives for gear

I actually like this one thread!
Old 29th July 2017
A little birdie told me there is a solution in the works
Old 30th July 2017
Lives for gear

This thread needs to stay alive even in a new subforum, I think, as a catch all/lounge or whatever. But having other threads for deeper separate conversations would be cool and useful, and dedicated FAQ like threads, such as Cases/Rails/Power Supplies and DAW Integration and more. Basically...

But this thread and the prior year ones are great and should continue on, I think.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search