The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 24th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by josker View Post
yes, this is the one I saw recently although the slider I read is dented... and probably quite small

Ideally, this would do but I don't think it made it past the concept stage?

EuroXFader, A DJ-Style Cross-Fader For Eurorack
Should The EuroXFader, A DJ-Style Cross-Fader For Eurorack, Go Into Production? – Synthtopia

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi...c.php?t=135966

somewhere on muffwigler DSC made 3 of these but he says the Innofader (or whatever is called) was too expensive, maybe he can make one on order?
Old 25th July 2017
Lives for gear

Here's another with the Motomouth, this time feeding it S&H CV
Old 25th July 2017
Gear Guru

like the sound of that motomouth, have you tried putting weird loops through it, some speech or drum loops or something might be trippy..
Old 25th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
like the sound of that motomouth, have you tried putting weird loops through it, some speech or drum loops or something might be trippy..
I've played a little, I fed it my Avalon one day. But for drums and such I'm trying to wrap my head around how I am going to modulate it such that I can multitrack stereo without the L/R decorrelation (from two independent mono runs) making a big mess of things. I wish there were a more elegant solution for stereo patches than "buy two of everything" but that's hardware for ya. At some point I really do need a stereo filter solution for drum loops though, so basic. I should just pick up a second Post Lawsuit Filter and be done with it (I love drums through that guy).

That said just as an additive bit (route drums parallel through it) it can do some cool things to a mono output. The one thing you kind of have to keep in mind with this kind of filter is that it's well tuned for human vocal ranges but outside of that the results can get a little squirrelly. That's still a decent sized range (and, as in these examples, you can definitely abuse the octave below typical speech to great effect).
Old 25th July 2017
More modular threads popping up lately. I hope we get a subforum one day, it's lame digging through "Let's talk computer monitors" and "How to make this sound" threads trying to find the stuff I want to discuss. It would be cool to make threads about individual modules and other things but they would just get lost in all the whining about where goddamn circuit boards aren't made and Elektron hate threads. We just don't talk like that here, like ever.

I mean if Presonus Studio One and Label and Industry offers have their own subforum (where most posts on the front page of each are 5 days old or more) it seems like we'd qualify for our own. At least we would use ours more than that.

@Jules
@Reptil
@Synth Guru
@golden beers
@Don Solaris
Old 25th July 2017
Lives for gear

So… about the Waldorf kb37…

… it’s beautiful! Even more beautiful than I imagined!

It’s also larger and heavier. So I don’t think I'll be gigging with it. I'll go with something like an Arturia Keystep instead.

But for the studio, it’s really, really nice. It’s the ultimate chameleon synth. It becomes whatever you put into it.

For starters I quickly put together a “vintage” Doepfer. It reminded me of a Moog Prodigy—but modular!

The only disappointment so far is the voltage on the GATE isn't strong enough to trigger the reset on my A-147 VC LFO. Also, the region on the far right around the power supply is quite shallow, so finding modules which will fit there can be challenging.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with it!

Old 25th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post

It’s also larger and heavier. So I don’t think I'll be gigging with it. I'll go with something like an Arturia Keystep instead.

But for the studio, it’s really, really nice. It’s the ultimate chameleon synth. It becomes whatever you put into it.

For starters I quickly put together a “vintage” Doepfer. It reminded me of a Moog Prodigy—but modular!

The only disappointment so far is the voltage on the GATE isn't strong enough to trigger the reset on my A-147 VC LFO. Also, the region on the far right around the power supply is quite shallow, so finding modules which will fit there can be challenging.

That's beautiful! I'd ultimately love something just like that for my AJH modules but cost wise it's not a high enough priority for me. But what a sweet case.
Old 25th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
That's beautiful! I'd ultimately love something just like that for my AJH modules but cost wise it's not a high enough priority for me. But what a sweet case.
Oh, those will look great! In fact, this photo is partly what inspired me to get the kb37:

The Modular Thread 2017-kb37-system-front-side-1000.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-kb37-system-front-side-1000.jpg  
Old 25th July 2017
Quote:

It's quite fetching.

You gonna dive in and mod it for better voltage? Or maybe there's a mixer module or something that could make the signal louder?
Old 25th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
You gonna dive in and mod it for better voltage? Or maybe there's a mixer module or something that could make the signal louder?
Possibly. It would be nice if it had a +5v or +12v GATE option like some MIDI>CV interfaces. I really fault Doepfer, though, with the excessive voltage requirements on the A-147 VC LFO. It doesn’t even work with standard Doepfer +5v GATE voltages from some of their own modules.

What I’ll likely do is install a YARNS MIDI interface. Having two MIDI>CV interfaces would allow for some interesting things with transpositions, alternate scales etc—and solve the GATE issue since YARNS has a +12v option.

Another option would be as you suggested, to use an amplifier module--or something like a Moog CP-251 if I didn't want to sacrifice the hp.
Old 25th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Possibly. It would be nice if it had a +5v or +12v GATE option like some MIDI>CV interfaces. I really fault Doepfer, though, with the excessive voltage requirements on the A-147 VC LFO. It doesn’t even work with standard Doepfer +5v GATE voltages from some of their own modules.

What I’ll likely do is install a YARNS MIDI interface. Having two MIDI>CV interfaces would allow for some interesting things with transpositions, alternate scales etc—and solve the GATE issue since YARNS has a +12v option.

Another option would be as you suggested, to use an amplifier module--or something like a Moog CP-251 if I didn't want to sacrifice the hp.
There's a 2hp 2:1 amplifier from Animodule iirc. And with the recent proliferation of 2hp modules probably other choices as well.
Old 25th July 2017
I just put something on soundcloud and it's so goddamn good it has a like without any plays.
Old 25th July 2017
Lives for gear

We'll, that's better than a bunch of plays and no likes.
Old 26th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
We'll, that's better than a bunch of plays and no likes.
Except the like is just from some jackhole trying to sell me a million plays...
Old 26th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post

USB devices like the ES8 are out of the quotation because Windows cant handle 2 audio interfaces at the same time. Right?
?? You can use more than one audio interface in Windows. I run a pair of 12i/o interfaces, and it'll still see the audio i/o if I plug in the AIRA modules.
Old 26th July 2017
Lives for gear

Modular Addict just released their version of Stackables (they'll probably get sued and have to stop selling them)
they're much cheaper than tiptop stackables
so get them before they get pulled, or not...
Modular Addict Released New Affordable Stacking Eurorack Patch Cables – Synth Anatomy
Old 26th July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:

I swear, the eurorack boom would have kicked off 5 years earlier if Doepfer had gone with the black from the beginning!
Old 26th July 2017
Deleted User
Any Vostok Deluxe Suitcase owners out there?
looks perfect for me. Self-contained, one box.
It would be my first foray into modular.
Old 26th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
Proprietary, expensive, no room for expansion ... Definitely wouldn't be on my shopping list.
Old 26th July 2017
Lives for gear

Analogue Solutions makes really great stuff. Of all the synth designers currently working Thomas would probably be near the top of my list. So if it really checks off all your boxes I'd definitely look into it seriously.

That said I agree with void23 that committing to a proprietary format right now might be less than ideal. You could fill a skiff/boat with similar Asol Eurorack modules and have compatibility and space left over which seems like a slightly better idea considering there are likely non-Asol Euro modules you'll want to explore.

ETA: I didn't even realize but they sell the pin matrix as a Eurorack module (as well as the joystick). So you really can come pretty close in Euro.

Last edited by ngarjuna; 26th July 2017 at 07:14 PM..
Old 26th July 2017
Lives for gear

Things I bought this week:

Mutamix
Tip Top z2040 mkII
Pamela's New Workout

Things I'm resisting but will ultimately cave on and end up buying next week:

Intellijel Polaris
Octocontroller
Peaks
O_c
Metropolis

Feelin' slutty Came for emotional support.

@maisonvague that kb37 is looking VERY nice!
Old 26th July 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
I've wanted one for ages, he will build it on demand for you likely, since I've bought two synths from him I am seriously impressed with the sound and quality of workmanship, both seriously top shelf..
Old 27th July 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Proprietary, expensive, no room for expansion ... Definitely wouldn't be on my shopping list.
sometimes art and logic don't mix, screw the logic and sensibility at any cost I always say, if you like something get it, make noise with it punch the sky.. that's all that matters. I completely understand that I could buy a whole large case of modules for the cost of a vostok, but that to me is imposing unesssary creative restrictions.. and the sound is just insanely cool..

Old 27th July 2017
Deleted User
That's insanely cool! Thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
sometimes art and logic don't mix, screw the logic and sensibility at any cost I always say, if you like something get it, make noise with it punch the sky.. that's all that matters. I completely understand that I could buy a whole large case of modules for the cost of a vostok, but that to me is imposing unesssary creative restrictions.. and the sound is just insanely cool..

Old 27th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
Things I'm resisting but will ultimately cave on and end up buying next week:

Intellijel Polaris
Octocontroller
Peaks
O_c
Metropolis

Feelin' slutty Came for emotional support.
Get a korgasmatron instead of the Polaris.
but definitely hit the other ones on that list. VERY good choices.
Old 27th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Like a lot of synths .......and I love synths
Old 27th July 2017
Lives for gear

@fiddlestickz, didn't you get a Morphogene? If so, what do you (or anyone else) think about them? Worth it?
Old 27th July 2017
Lives for gear

Also, regarding DAW (Ableton) integration, is there anything else that's needed beyond an Expert Sleepers (ES3 or ES8) in order to play nicely with a Mother32 and an MS20?

I think I read something about differences in the Moog voltages or something, and I saw some module that I think was meant for MS20 integration? I can't recall.
Old 27th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also, regarding DAW (Ableton) integration, is there anything else that's needed beyond an Expert Sleepers (ES3 or ES8) in order to play nicely with a Mother32 and an MS20?

I think I read something about differences in the Moog voltages or something, and I saw some module that I think was meant for MS20 integration? I can't recall.
I'm 99% sure the Silent Way Plugins are the only other thing you'd need; with the calibration schemes it should be able to handle H/oct pitch (I'd double check that with someone who has an MS-20 and SW as I don't have any H/oct gear).
Old 27th July 2017
Quote:

Moog M32 pitch voltage goes from -5 to +5 volts. For ms20 you want English Tear I think...I'm on my phone. If expert sleepers doesn't go low enough on it's own you might be able to use a Beast's Chalkboard to get it there.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search