The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 21st July 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
Can someone with an ER-301 chime in about the vari-speed (pitch/time stretch). is it quantized? How does it sound running an LFO to modulate the pitch up and down? can you upload a sample? just a square wave going +-2semitones, @ 1hz (doesn't have to be exactly this, but you get the idea). Using a 2min sample, not a granular waveform.
Found this pretty impressive. It's just the pitch modulated, no stretch (I don't think there's any time stretching on the 301 at the moment):

https://vimeo.com/172415551
Old 21st July 2017
Gear Head

Somewhat off-topic, so I apologize, but if there is anyone here in the Austin area then we'd love to have you at https://www.facebook.com/groups/modularaustin/

Last edited by richardisabelle; 21st July 2017 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: Attract attention to key word.
Old 21st July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
WMD SSM for the ultimate in switches. Get the expander for more mind blowingness.

RYO Paths for a simple 1x4 switch.

WMD is far more flexible and has some really nice and fun real-time playability.

Where did you get this info? The E350 has two outs that are separately controlled voices. The X/Y out and the Z out. While they both operate from the same bank, they can both have different waveforms based on the value of the x and y knobs (combining for the X/Y out) and the Z knob.

I assumed the 352 was the same in that regard?

Also, the 370 has some functionality not available in the 350, but last I read the 350 also had some functionality the 370 didn't have. And the 370 was initially planned as a limited run, so prices will be crazy high for anyone selling theirs. Although Paul kept open the possibility of doing further runs.
I read the E350 and E340 and tried to understand what they were in terms of being combined in the E352. I get it now reading the E330.
Old 21st July 2017
Ordered up a Trigger Riot because the Z8000 was getting lonely...
Old 21st July 2017
Lives for gear

Just ordered the E352 black limited edition from Synth Tech site After a couple emails to Paul and ringing customs here in the UK I worked out it's about £100 cheaper paying customs and shipping (VAT 20% + 3.5% import duty) than buying from SchneidersLaden. Happy days! What is it with the price hike and rip off prices in Europe. Suppliers have just used Brexit as an excuse to charge what they want.
Old 22nd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by josker View Post
Found this pretty impressive. It's just the pitch modulated, no stretch (I don't think there's any time stretching on the 301 at the moment):

https://vimeo.com/172415551
It can do some simulated time stretching with the Manual Grains unit in the ER-301. See this video at around the 5:30 mark for a quick demo ...

Old 22nd July 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post

Found this laying around on youtube...great performance and tune.
It 'd be gorgeus if Mr O'Brien is joining us in Gears. He is very skilled and rich in inventive.
Old 22nd July 2017
Lives for gear

The Motomouth has landed. What a fun/bonkers filter this is.

Old 22nd July 2017
Lives for gear

interesting, slightly cut down alternative to the stepper acid:

Old 22nd July 2017
Lives for gear

I was going through my youtube feed this morning and stumbled across this performance by Urs Heckmann (U-he for those that don't know).

Also, Ableton had this excellent video of Suzanne Ciani.

Old 23rd July 2017

How come I never thought of this??? I'm gonna do this with my pot plants.
Old 23rd July 2017
SRT
Lives for gear
I am looking for a module that can manually phase shift a CV and/or audio signal with a fair level of precision without altering the signal in any other way (no minor hpf or lpf effect etc). My immediate need is to be able to phase correct one channel of a stereo audio signal so that L/R are roughly in phase. There are a variety of phaser modules around but I'm more interested in controlling phase than obtaining a phase FX module...at least for the moment.

I was focusing on the Doepfer A-125 because it seems simple enough to be able to do this sort of thing, but I was wondering if there are any other modules that anyone could recommend that might be more interesting yet still able to fulfill my specific need.

Thanks.
Old 23rd July 2017
Gear Addict

A-125 won't work because it's AC coupled.

Mundo d0 can do phaseshifting of LF CV signals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
I am looking for a module that can manually phase shift a CV and/or audio signal with a fair level of precision without altering the signal in any other way (no minor hpf or lpf effect etc). My immediate need is to be able to phase correct one channel of a stereo audio signal so that L/R are roughly in phase. There are a variety of phaser modules around but I'm more interested in controlling phase than obtaining a phase FX module...at least for the moment.

I was focusing on the Doepfer A-125 because it seems simple enough to be able to do this sort of thing, but I was wondering if there are any other modules that anyone could recommend that might be more interesting yet still able to fulfill my specific need.

Thanks.
Old 23rd July 2017
Lives for gear

Blocks and Expert Sleepers

I would like to integrate my modular and blocks as shown in many videos. They all use the expert sleepers hardware.
My problem is, i use my mixer as audio interface and it has no lightpipe.

Is there any way to get this functionality without ADAT or SPDIF connection available?

USB devices like the ES8 are out of the quotation because Windows cant handle 2 audio interfaces at the same time. Right?
Old 23rd July 2017
Lives for gear

I thought I'd revisit the VCO sub and Polivoks filter but I decided to sell though and I got such good stuff out of them that they're staying.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiD7kbcu3tlqiytcRPMFIfwnqAZj
Old 24th July 2017
Lives for gear

Does anyone know why OC drops the pitch of my Dom 1 by nearly an octave when plugged in? This is with the Sequins app. I expect a small change (cuz I read it on Muffs) but this amount of drop is surprising.
Old 24th July 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
I would like to integrate my modular and blocks as shown in many videos. They all use the expert sleepers hardware.
My problem is, i use my mixer as audio interface and it has no lightpipe.

Is there any way to get this functionality without ADAT or SPDIF connection available?

USB devices like the ES8 are out of the quotation because Windows cant handle 2 audio interfaces at the same time. Right?
correct on a mac you can create aggregate devices.
Old 24th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
interesting, slightly cut down alternative to the stepper acid:

A lot more menu diving compared to the Stepper. I think one of the best parts of the Stepper Acid is the lack of menu diving and ease of use for a seqencer.
Old 24th July 2017
SRT
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorfinity View Post
A-125 won't work because it's AC coupled.
Mundo d0 can do phaseshifting of LF CV signals.
Hmm..good point. Thanks.
Old 24th July 2017
A buddy of mine might be going Euro and he asked me something I couldn't find on Modular Grid or anywhere-Is there a crossfader module with an actual DJ-style horizontal fader?
Old 24th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
A buddy of mine might be going Euro and he asked me something I couldn't find on Modular Grid or anywhere-Is there a crossfader module with an actual DJ-style horizontal fader?
Depending on how you mount it...maybe something like Synthwerks SP-1P?

Old 24th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
A lot more menu diving compared to the Stepper. I think one of the best parts of the Stepper Acid is the lack of menu diving and ease of use for a seqencer.
I sort of take your point, maybe better said as not as immediate (?)

Sort of what I meant by cut down, but that wasn't the write phrase, I take your point.

However...

1. I wouldn't consider a few button presses as "menu diving". To me menu diving implies multiple hierarchical levels of options (this is where the "diving" part come from in that you have to traverse abstract and nested levels of parameters, vs. knob/button per function, this is pretty close to knob per function, but you right, there is some of this.), and well, a menu for one.

2. The core part of sequencing 303 step / rest / glide style seems pretty close to me, but it doesn't have some of the extras the stepper acid has, for sure.

However not all of us have the hp to fit a stepper acid, I was just trying to post an alternative. Put its definitely a trade off. I was thinking less a central sequencer and more as an add on for sequencing an accompanying synth line. So maybe not a direct alternative.
Old 24th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Depending on how you mount it...maybe something like Synthwerks SP-1P?

Yeah I was thinking maybe something like that in 1U, but it would need to "glide" the way DJ faders do instead of having resistance of any kind which faders like this typically do...seems like a missed opportunity for a Euro company perhaps?
Old 24th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah I was thinking maybe something like that in 1U, but it would need to "glide" the way DJ faders do instead of having resistance of any kind which faders like this typically do...seems like a missed opportunity for a Euro company perhaps?
It does indeed.
Old 24th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
It does indeed.
This same friend of mine clones vintage guitar pedals of all kinds. I am trying to get him into making effect modules...I'm gonna try to get him to make a crossfader too.
Old 24th July 2017
Lives for gear

you could probably open up the fader and remove/file down the part that gives the resistance. it's usually just the metal that surrounds the shaft rubbing against the edge of its enclosure.
Old 24th July 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:

The Synthwerks has almost zero reisistence. At least the one that I had. You could literally blow on it and it would move.
Old 24th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindMachine View Post
The Synthwerks has almost zero reisistence. At least the one that I had. You could literally blow on it and it would move.
Reckon a good fart would move it?
Old 24th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am sure I saw something like that, horizontal fader (part of some sort of modulation module possibly), I also remember what it looks like but not the name... looking for it online, I think I can find it
Old 24th July 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
I am sure I saw something like that, horizontal fader (part of some sort of modulation module possibly), I also remember what it looks like but not the name... looking for it online, I think I can find it
It's this:

https://rabidelephant.com/products/knobs
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search