The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
all I needed were 4 3.5mm to 1/8" cables.
what's that cable?
I thought 3.5mm & 1/8" were the same...
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
what's that cable?
I thought 3.5mm & 1/8" were the same...
Ha! Typo meant 1/4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
Agreed! I have the A-151 v2 switch and it is great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Great module! You will find many uses for it.
Yea, seems like an essential. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
I recently got a bug up my butt and ordered a WMD Sequential Switch Matrix which looks pretty crazy:
Dayum, this also looks interesting, will have to look at the manual, thnx
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

As if the E-352 wasn't bad enough I just noticed the E-370 - a quad! Now that is a Porsche of eurorack!

https://www.schneidersladen.de/en/sy...logy-e370.html
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

I just bought one of these today. Does anyone else have one? I realize it's probably too expensive for what it is, but... I've been unable to find anything else like it. It seems like the perfect solution for quickly putting together various combinations of modules for experimental synths--something I'm already doing using an array of Doepfer mini-cases, MIDI>CV controllers and other kludges. This just seems like a much neater solution...

Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
As if the E-352 wasn't bad enough I just noticed the E-370 - a quad! Now that is a Porsche of eurorack!

https://www.schneidersladen.de/en/sy...logy-e370.html
Yes they are both interesting new modules but as far as I remember the E-352 is not an E-370 times four. The E-370 has a bit more power within the single voice context. The E-352 has 4 voices but each not as powerful as the single E-370.

Not to say one is better than the other, they are two different offerings of course
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just bought one of these today. Does anyone else have one? I realize it's probably too expensive for what it is, but... I've been unable to find anything else like it. It seems like the perfect solution for quickly putting together various combinations of modules for experimental synths--something I'm already doing using an array of Doepfer mini-cases, MIDI>CV controllers and other kludges. This just seems like a much neater solution...

I have been hovering on and off over the buy button for a KB37 many times.
Then I decided to add a smaller more portable rig to my setup, more portable than Doepfer Monster Cases and I thought the KB37 was a bit too heavy to easily carry around considering I would also add more rows to it, e.g. a KB 37 + maybe a 3x84hp case...

Anyway I don't think the KB37 is overpriced.
It has good power, I think 1.5A for both +12 and -12 and a decent skiff of similar size (not DIY) would cost around £290. Then an output module, even a Pico Output is £85, A couple of Doepfer Wheels maybe £50, stuff like a simple arpeggiator, Midi, pedal controller input, sensor input, etc... that has to be worth at least another £150...
Just these things together would total £575. Then add a decent quality Fatar keyboard (how much?)

You can buy a KB37 new for £678 so that's £100 for a keyboard... and then it's all in a nice solid package with all these parts working together, CV outs to control stuff...

It's a good package, I don't own one yet but It is not a bad buy, it's a valid product I think
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
any suggestions for essential switch modules. The voltage addressed one from doepfer looks interesting but a bit large and maybe more than needed, there also their octal one, but wondering if anyone has any good recs. Could be opened up to logic / switching in general, i guess. tx.
WMD SSM for the ultimate in switches. Get the expander for more mind blowingness.

RYO Paths for a simple 1x4 switch.

WMD is far more flexible and has some really nice and fun real-time playability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
The E-352 on further inspection is only a single VCO with two outs. I was thinking it was dual because it has two voices internally (is this right) and just one V/oct pitch control. While the Shapeshifter is dual, has a chord mode and presets which while not essential would be useful.

I think it's still a great one and I see it as a much more advanced Braids (E-340/350 combined) so user defined wavetables, morphing and granular synthesis.

I feel a bit torn so I might hold off until it comes out and see more people's demo videos. So now I'm thinking my GAS is going to be offloaded with the Octocontroller, the Behringer DM desktop and the Moog D when it comes out.
Where did you get this info? The E350 has two outs that are separately controlled voices. The X/Y out and the Z out. While they both operate from the same bank, they can both have different waveforms based on the value of the x and y knobs (combining for the X/Y out) and the Z knob.

I assumed the 352 was the same in that regard?

Also, the 370 has some functionality not available in the 350, but last I read the 350 also had some functionality the 370 didn't have. And the 370 was initially planned as a limited run, so prices will be crazy high for anyone selling theirs. Although Paul kept open the possibility of doing further runs.
Old 20th July 2017
Quote:

Jealous. Not overpriced at all IMO. I wish I had one, seems like the perfect solution for someone who likes modular but wants it in traditional "monosynth" format. I'd make mine a sweet monosynth based on the Furthrrr Generator.
Old 20th July 2017
Can't justify the expense, but yeah, the waldorf kbd looks great. maybe one day.
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
I have been hovering on and off over the buy button for a KB37 many times.
Then I decided to add a smaller more portable rig to my setup, more portable than Doepfer Monster Cases and I thought the KB37 was a bit too heavy to easily carry around considering I would also add more rows to it, e.g. a KB 37 + maybe a 3x84hp case...

Anyway I don't think the KB37 is overpriced.
It has good power, I think 1.5A for both +12 and -12 and a decent skiff of similar size (not DIY) would cost around £290. Then an output module, even a Pico Output is £85, A couple of Doepfer Wheels maybe £50, stuff like a simple arpeggiator, Midi, pedal controller input, sensor input, etc... that has to be worth at least another £150...
Just these things together would total £575. Then add a decent quality Fatar keyboard (how much?)

You can buy a KB37 new for £678 so that's £100 for a keyboard... and then it's all in a nice solid package with all these parts working together, CV outs to control stuff...

It's a good package, I don't own one yet but It is not a bad buy, it's a valid product I think
I'm relieved to hear this! Thank you!

I had been thinking along similar lines, but still there was this niggling doubt in the back of my mind. I mean, I don't think I've ever paid this much for an instrument that doesn't make any sound--at least, not since that last vintage synth I bought on eBay.

But yes, when you break it all down and price out what you're getting, it does become more attractive. I'm hoping this will be one of those "I'm so glad I bought this…" kind of purchases later down the road.
Old 20th July 2017
Quote:
I mean, I don't think I've ever paid this much for an instrument that doesn't make any sound--at least, not since that last vintage synth I bought on eBay.
If it's any comfort my Doepfer Monster case was $1350
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
...seems like the perfect solution for someone who likes modular but wants it in traditional "monosynth" format.
Yes! That would be me!

I had great ambitions of trying to kick my keyboard habit by installing an A-198 ribbon controller module in my modular, but I find it frustrating to use for controlled melodic work. Learning to play it properly--unquantized--is almost as difficult as learning violin or cello.

Quote:
If it's any comfort my Doepfer Monster case was $1350
Yes. That is a small comfort. But what a monster case! And you get to look forward to a monster base in the future!
Old 21st July 2017
Quote:
Yes! That would be me!

I had great ambitions of trying to kick my keyboard habit by installing an A-198 ribbon controller module in my modular, but I find it frustrating to use for controlled melodic work. Learning to play it properly--unquantized--is almost as difficult as learning violin or cello.

Yes. That is a small comfort. But what a monster case! And you get to look forward to a monster base in the future!
Funny you mention this...I have been playing Colin Benders' videos when my wife is in the mancave and she finally noticed and said something-
"Wow, does he really need all that stuff?" It was a studio vid where he has like a million hp wired up. I said "yes and no", and switched to a live video where his setup is much smaller but still 3x the size of my one case easy. This not only proved to her that i wasn't crazy but also showed her the reality of why a base case is pretty much definitely in my future someday. I'm thinking hands on stuff like Rene and a touchplate for the bottom row, more sequencers, samplers, and quantizers on the angle.
Old 21st July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Wow I was literally contemplating getting one of those just yesterday.

super synthesis used to make something like this, that was slightly cheaper and more hp I think

and then they had a special walnut edition, might have been more, but yowza. Sadly don't see these for sale anywhere

Old 21st July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Funny you mention this...I have been playing Colin Benders' videos when my wife is in the mancave and she finally noticed and said something-
"Wow, does he really need all that stuff?" It was a studio vid where he has like a million hp wired up. I said "yes and no", and switched to a live video where his setup is much smaller but still 3x the size of my one case easy. This not only proved to her that i wasn't crazy but also showed her the reality of why a base case is pretty much definitely in my future someday. I'm thinking hands on stuff like Rene and a touchplate for the bottom row, more sequencers, samplers, and quantizers on the angle.
Oh yes! A Monster Base is in your future!

My own little mini-Doepfer didn’t really feel like a performance instrument until I got the base and added controllers on either end of the horizontal lower level: wheels on the far left, joystick on the far right.

It’s a great feeling to connect to the modular this way—like hooking up to the + - poles of a battery.
Old 21st July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow I was literally contemplating getting one of those just yesterday.

super synthesis used to make something like this, that was slightly cheaper and more hp I think

and then they had a special walnut edition, might have been more, but yowza. Sadly don't see these for sale anywhere

Those are beautiful! I’ve had these types of cases on my radar for awhile now—even considered putting one together myself. But it’s like the Waldorf is the only game in town now—and I’m sure I couldn’t put one together as nice as theirs. Doepfer has had one “in planning” for god only knows how many years now—that and a touchplate keyboard. At this point, I’m assuming they’re vaporware and won’t materialize. So I decided to just go for the Waldorf. It should be here tomorrow.

I’m so excited, I can’t sleep!

Of course, the coffee I drank at 11pm (!) probably didn’t help!
Old 21st July 2017
Quote:

Of course, the coffee I drank at 11pm (!) probably didn’t help!
Just add nicotine and cannabanoids for a Gen-x Speedball.
Old 21st July 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:

I am waiting for Behringer's version for 300 dollars.
Old 21st July 2017

Found this laying around on youtube...great performance and tune.
Old 21st July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Can't justify the expense, but yeah, the waldorf kbd looks great. maybe one day.
Maybe not overpriced, strictly speaking, but out of my budget for now.

I do like the idea, though.
Old 21st July 2017
Quote:
FYI: Vermona makes a case like this. without the keyboard
Old 21st July 2017
Lives for gear

Re-did my modular corner layout to finally acommodate 3 people and all my gear. Crap photos but I am excited! Will take high res ones on a nice camera from different angles once my new 1200hp euro case is done (maybe 1-2 more weeks of building) and I get some racks to house the other 6 serge panels not shown here along with the Cwejman S1 & Modcan A so I can ditch the dodgy pirate chest case and S1 just sitting on the Arp ghetto wired to wall

Old 21st July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Found this laying around on youtube...great performance and tune.

Epic....thank you so much for sharing! Enjoyed the entirety of it.
Old 21st July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik View Post
Re-did my modular corner layout to finally acommodate 3 people and all my gear. Crap photos but I am excited! Will take high res ones on a nice camera from different angles once my new 1200hp euro case is done (maybe 1-2 more weeks of building) and I get some racks to house the other 6 serge panels not shown here along with the Cwejman S1 & Modcan A so I can ditch the dodgy pirate chest case and S1 just sitting on the Arp ghetto wired to wall

Wow some beautiful machines there, I gassed over a S1 for a longtime so long infact that they stopped making them (or I presume cwejman have due to nobody stocking them) it's a shame nobody has ever posted a good demo video of one as I'm aware there a very capable machine.
Old 21st July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Well, you could have a polyphonic E352 right now if you got an ER-301 . I tried.
Finally...
Just got shipping notification for:
ER-301 (Nostalgia), ER-101 (Nostalgia), ER-102 (Nostalgia)

Yes I am getting old and nostalgic I guess
Old 21st July 2017
Lives for gear

Instead of those posh cases, just stick a Dom 1 in front of your rack. Keyboard CV out x 3, gate out, 2 ribbon controllers out. Boom.
Old 21st July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Finally...

Can someone with an ER-301 chime in about the vari-speed (pitch/time stretch). is it quantized? How does it sound running an LFO to modulate the pitch up and down? can you upload a sample? just a square wave going +-2semitones, @ 1hz (doesn't have to be exactly this, but you get the idea). Using a 2min sample, not a granular waveform.
Old 21st July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
Can someone with an ER-301 chime in about the vari-speed (pitch/time stretch). is it quantized? How does it sound running an LFO to modulate the pitch up and down? can you upload a sample? just a square wave going +-2semitones, @ 1hz (doesn't have to be exactly this, but you get the idea). Using a 2min sample, not a granular waveform.
It's unquantized, unless you through a quantizer in the chain.
Old 21st July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
It's unquantized, unless you through a quantizer into the chain.
is there any sort of artifacting, or can it simulate a real tape player nicely?
Old 21st July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Finally...

You'll have some toys to play with. First things I'd grab are the E340 and Piano custom units. The E340 unit is a bit overdone, but with some simple tweaks like removing the VCA and ADSR, it's a great voice.

Also, don't know if you're style, but I pulled the audio out of a bunch of old Emax disks using EMXP for some other fun sound sources.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search