The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
I have a chance to get a Euro case the size of a Doepfer Monster case (about 12U and 160HP/row). I currently have a Doepfer A-100LC9, Tiptop Mantis (on it's way) and a couple Tiptop HEKs. What do you guys think are the pros and cons of going with a gigantic case over the setup where I have which is an equivalent of a foldable case in the sense that modules are probably closer together. I'm wondering if this gigantic case will make the modules too far apart, needing longer cables and harder to patch. What do you guys think?
I'm 168hp wide, 12U+ high. sure I'd like things closer together, but what else can you do when you go big? A fold in the middle won't make much difference. I laid my modules out in a way that I don't really ever need to patch really far things into each other. For now I've decided this is the max usable size, but I know I'll eventually expand and I'll have to figure out solutions for 252hp wide, or go taller..

Last edited by oinkbanana; 18th July 2017 at 03:47 PM..
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by empirix View Post
very nice, the hand/finger flicks are not needed though
C'mon ya gotta have some flair and style! At least he was actually doing something with those hands!

Old 18th July 2017
More bug fartz, because bug fartz...

PS: Done live with the incomplete live case-
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/312388
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
Iv'e got a shapeshifter and it's pretty damn great as a wavetable dual voice. The feature set is really compact. chord function, wave folding, vocoder, TZFM, delay, drum mode. The E301 probably kicks its but, but it's also twice the price. The upcoming SynthTech E352 might give it a good challenge, but it's not out yet.

I don't get any of the complaints. If you want an analog osc, get an analog osc. The Shapeshifter does so much more.
if you don't plan on using the ShapeShifter features, and just want a straightforward wavetable get an Erica wavetable -
I was just looking at the SynthTech E352 and it is available on Schneidersladen and other dealers on their website or the black one says pre-order for August.

It sounds amazing quote: It combines the features of the E340 and E350 in one module. Expensive but for the capabilities I could see how you would need a lot more in modules. It sounds more capable than the Shapeshifter for not much more $. I'm thinking I might just sell 3 or 4 modules I don't really use and get this.

The E352, Octocontroller, and what I already have: Maths, Braids would be a killer combination. And I expect Braids would take a back seat and might well be redundant. I'm really liking the sound of this. I want to have less modules and more multifunction ones - more capability and less patching!
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I was just looking at the SynthTech E352 and it is available on schneidersladen and other dealers on their website or the black says pre-order for August.

It sounds amazing quote: It combines the features of the E340 and E350 in one module. Expensive but for the capabilities I could see how you would need a lot more in modules. It sounds more capable than the Shapeshifter for not much more $. I'm thinking I just sell 3 or 4 modules I don't really use and get this.

I'm thinking the E352, Octocontroller, and what I already have: Maths, Braids would be a killer combination. And I expect Braids would take a back seat and might well be redundant. I'm really liking the sound of this. I want to have less modules - more capability and less patching!
The E352 should be the bees knees!
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

whats the deal with 5u/mu??

Ive been reading up on this format and I'm not sure I quite get it.

It (mostly) seems to be focused around moog modular clones like the 901 and 921 oscs.

Everything "looks the same".
None of the odd/weirder modules from the other formats.
No cool sequencers. (or maybe I just missed this part)
They have at least 5 or 6 different connectors for power, with 3/4 different voltages.
Pretty much nothing is ever in stock or needs to be made on order with looong wait.
The cables are much more expensive.
More expensive modules

The plus side seems to be a physically bigger format so not as cramped as euro, and I always disliked that with euro, its just too small and fiddly to manipulate, and I have small hands.
All cables goes on the bottom pretty much! thats good.

So I read a bit about some oscs that seems interesting. The motm300, oakley and macbeth seems cool.

However the bacbeths seems to be out of production/unabtanium, the motm only avaibable as kit, and its not in stock, the oakley can be had made for you by a 3rd party builder, or diy, but now its not even a kit, now you have to source everything yourself

Now if you want to make a format thats really hard to "get into", this is it.

Those who run 5u/mu. What made you choose this format?
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
The E352 should be the bees knees!
I had a look at the E301 but I feel for me it's taking it a bit too far - a sound computer? I'm sure it's a very capable thing but it seems almost a bit dated in some way, like something resurrected from the 70's - didn't Steve Austin have one of those as his weekend hobby? Why doesn't someone just add CV control directly to a computer? Oh I guess that's ES Silent Way.

I can see how the E301 capabilities for live performance would be good but being a home noodler who mostly records modular for composition it doesn't make sense to me.

The E352 I'm really taken with - the queen bees knees!

PS. I also think well isn't this a bit like Serum in a box with CV control - it's more capable than that I know, and you'd need a few other VST's to do the same thing software wise. I'm sold anyway Synth Tech modules are amazing.

A cheaper alternative to the ER301 - the Disting MK4 has CV to midi. Damn I have a MK3 :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLomApKB30E
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

a lot of modules dont make sense to a lot of people. thats just how it is. we all want different things.
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
whats the deal with 5u/mu??
Those who run 5u/mu. What made you choose this format?
Hi mekanik, I went with 5U stuff probably because I'm relatively old and as a kid I dreamed of owning a large format modular one day after listening to and staring at album covers of W. Carlos and ELP etc and then in my early teens I started building PAiA modules because it was all that I could afford (what became known as the FRAC RACK format later) but the quality was pretty bad. So, my impression was the good stuff was the big expensive stuff and the bad stuff was the small inexpensive stuff. When I got back into modulars about 9 years ago I still wanted what I drooled over as a kid, of course.

Let me address some of your points . .
Quote:
Everything "looks the same".
This is partially because there are relatively few manufacturers compared to eurorack. Moog was pretty much it for 5U for over 30 years. When the first new large format modular companies sprung up in the late 90's / early 2000's (Modcan, Synthesis Technology and Synthesizers.com) they did their own thing but kept it sort of close to home. After that any new companies seems to just copy one of the existing 3-ish styles (Moog/Synthesizers.com, Modcan A or Synthesis Technology MOTM) and I'm assuming they did that to ensure better sales. To date there are only about 20 5U manufacturers and probably only 10 of those offer a wide enough variety of modules to build a complete typical system.

With eurorack I think there are over 200 manufacturers now and it seems most people build their setups out of modules from many manufacturers. Each
manufacturer tends to develop a look and style though so if you built a system out of just one eurorack manufacturer's modules it would "look the same" as someone else's system if they did the same thing. (all Doepfer or all Erica Synths or all Intellijel, etc)

Quote:
None of the odd/weirder modules from the other formats.
They are out there, you may just have to look a little harder for them. Maybe not the best example but in this little 5U 'skiff' I put together there is a phase modulation wave folder (Happy Nerding FM AID), a clock syncable digital delay (Modcan 59B), an 8 step event generator with a CV level and a timing pot per step (Encore Electronics UEG), and a physical modeling resonant filter (5U version of Mutable Instruments Rings).

Quote:
No cool sequencers. (or maybe I just missed this part)
Well, what is cool to one person may not be so to another but I think the Moon Modular 569 is extremely cool and . . the new kid on the block is the GRP R24!

Quote:
They have at least 5 or 6 different connectors for power, with 3/4 different voltages.
A majority of all 5U modules run on +-15v and most have a Synthesizers.com style 6 pin MTA-100 connector but year, there are lots of exceptions to be aware of! I wont go into it here.

Quote:
Pretty much nothing is ever in stock or needs to be made on order with looong wait.
Synthesizers.com is VERY consistent and fast at fulfilling orders and there is one 5U dealer in the USA ( Noisebug | Your destination for Large Format Modular and Hardware Synthesizers in the USA ) that sells modules from quite a few 5U manufacturers. But yeah, comparing obtaining 5U modules to obtaining eurorack modules is almost as bad as comparing foraging for nuts and berries in the forest to going to the supermarket and filling up a cart of anything you desire.

Quote:
The cables are much more expensive.
Generally true, the 'good' 5U cables are typically $8 to $10 each but you can get Hosa or no-name molded cables for as low as $2 each, which is the same or not much more than 3.5mm eurorack molded cables.

Quote:
More expensive modules
That may have been true at one time but there are a lot or really expensive eurorack modules and some reasonably priced 5U modules. For instance this great Synthesizers.com Q106 VCO is only $225:

Taking a quick look at Modular Grid I didn't see any VCOs with the same feature set that were less expensive.

OK, this 5U evangelist needs to go eat, preaching the word is hungry work!
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

Hi. Thanks for responding

I'm kinda starting to think about a 5u system... even with all the "downsides". it would be a 3osc very pedestrian system. or maybe more. edit: it would be a completely moog free clone system

BTW whats the latest word on modcan?? will there ever be more modcan 5u?

I read a post on mw where a guy said he had taken over or helped out building modcan modules (it was something along these lines at least). does this mean modcan will soon be available again?
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

Never got into 5u myself as I love banana gear for the larger format stuff but its definitely fun to break away from eurorack and go work on an entirely different system. I always make different types if **** on the Modcan A or Bugbrand or Serge with the same skillset. The different layouts and module types just make me approach it differently. Euro always has me doing lots of complex sequenced, trigger based VCA-mod-path-heavy stuff due to the large amount of digital sequencer and trigger brains and the plethora if compact affirdable DC coupled VCAs. Modcan and bugbrand I always approach with a more subtractive acid style sequence approach with some FM involved, and serge is always FM heavy stuff with lots if crisscommunication between my modulation paths since DUSGs are the best mod sources AND mod processors out there, and things like VCFQs let you do things like ping a CV source into its destination with an aciustic like decay perfect for getting realistic contour weird electronic tones kind of unique to serge. Modules like the Gated Comparator and other stuff in the SWAMP and MARSH panels are quite unique to the format too.

I think 5u was just a little too straightforward for me, as all of the classic eastcoast style stuff is. I dont use FM LPG standard westcoast buchla style patching ever, but I like my complex sequencers, mod sources, and logic in large format systems. I also only use stackables with euro and bananas in large format, so having to use mults is kind if icky to me
Old 19th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
BTW whats the latest word on modcan?? will there ever be more modcan 5u?

I read a post on mw where a guy said he had taken over or helped out building modcan modules (it was something along these lines at least). does this mean modcan will soon be available again?
As far as I know, only new stock of the Modcan eurorack modules are starting to appear. The Modcan eurorack modules were designed with more efficient to build designs, meaning no point to point wiring, just fabricated PCBs and panels that got bolted together during final assembly. The Modcan A (slightly taller then 5U and narrower per unit) and Modcan B (same panel widths and mounting holes as MOTM) series had PCBs at right angles to the panels and all the pots, jacks and switches had to be hand wired . . and Bruce did the most amazing job of anyone I've seen with all the wired routed with neat right angle bends and tightly bundled with cable ties. He also silk screened all his own 5U panels. The large format module were a labor of love and not so easy for someone to take over, plus the demand is lower so maybe the incentive to make it happen isn't there? Regardless if Bruce starts making large format modules again or not I hope he makes a recovery!
Old 19th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had a look at the E301 but I feel for me it's taking it a bit too far - a sound computer? I'm sure it's a very capable thing but it seems almost a bit dated in some way, like something resurrected from the 70's - didn't Steve Austin have one of those as his weekend hobby? Why doesn't someone just add CV control directly to a computer? Oh I guess that's ES Silent Way.

I can see how the E301 capabilities for live performance would be good but being a home noodler who mostly records modular for composition it doesn't make sense to me.

The E352 I'm really taken with - the queen bees knees!

PS. I also think well isn't this a bit like Serum in a box with CV control - it's more capable than that I know, and you'd need a few other VST's to do the same thing software wise. I'm sold anyway Synth Tech modules are amazing.
Well, you could have a polyphonic E352 right now if you got an ER-301 . I tried.
Old 19th July 2017
Lives for gear

anyway I read this:

Quote:
I've been part of the effort to get Modcan Eurorack modules out into the world again. The most recent run of Quad LFOs are still currently available in limited quantity. Quad Envelopes are on the list, but not currently in production. Dual Delay is our next priority.
from this thread.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi....php?p=2602697
Old 19th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
More bug fartz, because bug fartz...
That was great! will have to checkout "Gen-X Speedball" now.
Old 19th July 2017
Lives for gear

In terms of 5U systems, I like the large size controls but I would not have the space to build a good size system with variety in several departments (sequencers, oscillators, filters, etc...) and polyphony...

Any smaller than Eurorack would be nuts of course.
Old 19th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Well, you could have a polyphonic E352 right now if you got an ER-301 . I tried.
Does it have all the capability and features of the E352 then? Surely not the same? I'm turned off by the menu diving fiddling and scrolling.

Can explain what you mean by this please? You surely don't mean the E352 algorithms can be loaded into the E-301? I guess what you mean is the E301 has granular synthesis, wavetables and polyphony? So not the same thing.

As a cheaper alternative you can get the Disting MK4 CV to MIDI. Damn I have a MK3 :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLomApKB30E
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

any suggestions for essential switch modules. The voltage addressed one from doepfer looks interesting but a bit large and maybe more than needed, there also their octal one, but wondering if anyone has any good recs. Could be opened up to logic / switching in general, i guess. tx.
Old 20th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
any suggestions for essential switch modules. The voltage addressed one from doepfer looks interesting but a bit large and maybe more than needed, there also their octal one, but wondering if anyone has any good recs. Could be opened up to logic / switching in general, i guess. tx.
Can only suggest not recommend since i don't own it but this is the one I am getting-

Does 1x4 and 4x1 which I like, i can see combining it with this guy for some neat stuff happening-

Those are the two switching modules i am going with anyway...will report back upon acquisition.
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
If you have the modulation to spare, I like the A-150 as a simple switch. For heavy lifting, I use a WMD SSM.
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

I've had my modular for 10 months and today was the first time I've tried using an Impulse Machine from the Analog Rytm with it. Looks like I won't be needing a Circadian Rythms or Varigate now.
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I've had my modular for 10 months and today was the first time I've tried using an Impulse Machine from the Analog Rytm with it. Looks like I won't be needing a Circadian Rythms or Varigate now.
yup, my MD gives me 4 tracks of triggers with the IMP machines. with 16-64 steps per pattern 4 banks of 16 patterns and a song mode to sequence the patterns, and to interface all I needed were 4 3.5mm to 1/8" cables.

No brainer for sure.

oh and good recommendations for switch, too, thnx.

Quote:
Can only suggest not recommend since i don't own it but this is the one I am getting-
Does 1x4 and 4x1 which I like, i can see combining it with this guy for some neat stuff happening-
Those are the two switching modules i am going with anyway...will report back upon acquisition.
sweet thnx @slaughtrhaus!
Old 20th July 2017
@Derp
Just sayin'
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

yes it feels strange without @Derp in here
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
yes it feels strange without @Derp in here
Is he on holiday?
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

I just found this looking on modulargrid, interesting that it has presets. I'm still more taken with the Octocontroller though.

omnimod – Macro Machines.
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just found this look on modulargrid, interesting that it has presets. I'm still more taken with the Octocontroller though.

omnimod – Macro Machines.
There's a locked 50 page thread and another subsequent 50 page thread on Muffwigglers about this module. To make a long story short: it's way, WAY overdue (like years iirc) and there has been drama due to them having taken preorders.

I wouldn't put aside any space in your rack for Omnimod; and I definitely wouldn't place an order until you've made it through those threads.
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great module! You will find many uses for it.

Quote:
Is he on holiday?
I think he's moving house.
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Great module! You will find many uses for it.
Agreed! I have the A-151 v2 switch and it is great.

I recently got a bug up my butt and ordered a WMD Sequential Switch Matrix which looks pretty crazy:
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

The E-352 on further inspection is only a single VCO with two outs. I was thinking it was dual because it has two voices internally (is this right) and just one V/oct pitch control. While the Shapeshifter is dual, has a chord mode and presets which while not essential would be useful.

I think it's still a great one and I see it as a much more advanced Braids (E-340/350 combined) so user defined wavetables, morphing and granular synthesis.

I feel a bit torn so I might hold off until it comes out and see more people's demo videos. So now I'm thinking my GAS is going to be offloaded with the Octocontroller, the Behringer DM desktop and the Moog D when it comes out.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search