The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 16th July 2017
Lives for gear

Iv'e got a shapeshifter and it's pretty damn great as a wavetable dual voice. The feature set is really compact. chord function, wave folding, vocoder, TZFM, delay, drum mode. The E301 probably kicks its but, but it's also twice the price. The upcoming SynthTech E352 might give it a good challenge, but it's not out yet.

I don't get any of the complaints. If you want an analog osc, get an analog osc. The Shapeshifter does so much more.
if you don't plan on using the ShapeShifter features, and just want a straightforward wavetable get an Erica wavetable -
Old 16th July 2017
Lives for gear

The end of my mostly modular (with octatrack) set last Friday. Cant find any of the gnarlier acid breaky bits anywhere yet but this was fairly pretty. Anyway, some modular used in a musical context in a live setting, not drowned in reverb.

Old 16th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Yet another Sunday Morning Jam session. Started as playing with the BIA and the Voltage Block. This one uses just about everything in my racks.

Love this track. Would you mind to explain how you did the drums?
Old 16th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Once you start getting up to that price point and size, you should seriously start considering an ER-301. That thing is the ultimate, do everything module and definitely worth the lead time wait.
Interesting, and I get your lead, but if you go that far why wouldn't you just do it on your computer?
Old 16th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Interesting, and I get your lead, but if you go that far why wouldn't you just do it on your computer?
its a computer, without the computer..
Old 16th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
cv control
Old 16th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
Iv'e got a shapeshifter and it's pretty damn great as a wavetable dual voice. The feature set is really compact. chord function, wave folding, vocoder, TZFM, delay, drum mode. The E301 probably kicks its but, but it's also twice the price. The upcoming SynthTech E352 might give it a good challenge, but it's not out yet.

I don't get any of the complaints. If you want an analog osc, get an analog osc. The Shapeshifter does so much more.
if you don't plan on using the ShapeShifter features, and just want a straightforward wavetable get an Erica wavetable -
I have Omikron which is great and I have Braids. It's finding that happy medium between the qualities of analogue and the capabilities of digital, and I'm interested in what Shapeshifter can do. Thanks.
Old 16th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
its a computer, without the computer..
Fair enough but I like using laptops for music. Hands on modular and built synths are what I use, and sometimes a VST. I use my modular alongside Ableton, and it's a great sequencer.

I was just jamming earlier recording a bassline, replaying then jamming a lead over the top. It works so well.
Old 16th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
I really liked the A-111 (the first one) so if this is anything like that, it's a winner.
I do have the A-143-4 but that's a different character oscillator (triangle core), which is nice.
yes they do sound different from their 3340 serie, however just wanted to point out, which seems is not widely known, that CEM3340 is actually a triangle core design as well.

lot of people, including yours truly for years, thought that cem were saw core like the other old 70s and 80s stuff. i think logic might have been that all east coast vintages are saw core and all that, however its not so.

this was quite a revelation some years ago when i figured it out.

this leaves me with inevitable question,,,, is SSM2030 a triangle core too... i wonder... i was certain it is saw core but hey

with a-111-4 i only have one gripe... wish they included the tria>sine shaper per osc, and hence sine wave output. instead of the section with master control. in modular there are always ways to simulate master control by other means , like buffered multiple etc.

having four sines you could detune and modulate individually for some ubituqous drones or feed them to various waveshapers, folders, fm aids... sine is the best possible source for these things. cleanest results.

interestingly enough, the a111-3 which is sort of a single osc version of 111-4, tho with more features, also does not have a sine shaper. only the big ones, 111-1 and new 111-2 have it.

so , hypothetically to get what i wanted, only way is to buy four 110-4 sine core osc. not as small hp, sexy as a quad vco package. but they do have a gorgeous sine tone. i have a pair i use strictly for fm, tzfm, folders etc.
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yet another Sunday Morning Jam session. Started as playing with the BIA and the Voltage Block. This one uses just about everything in my racks.

This was excellent man. Great stuff indeed. Could you break it down for us? What are you using as sequencers? I heard 3 synth lines there with transposition.

What about the vocal snippets?

Loved the feel and sounds.
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
This was excellent man. Great stuff indeed. Could you break it down for us? What are you using as sequencers? I heard 3 synth lines there with transposition.

What about the vocal snippets?

Loved the feel and sounds.
As always, drums are mostly Analog Rytm (best drum machine evah!) with a combo of programming on the box and triggering via Grids. There's also a drum loop coming from the Disting. Bass line is a stack of Braids and Klavis Twin Waves going though various filters being pinged by triggers from either Knight's Gallop or a Beatstep Pro. Melodic sounds are just the two outputs from the Erica Black Wavetable VCO with different trigger patterns and the chords are Chord going through a WASP. Vocal samples are from a second Disting going through Freez. Finally, there's a "noise loop" coming from Basimilus Iteritas Alter and a bit of EMW Alias for sub-bass glue.

There tons of modulation going on coming from Voltage Block and Octocontroller going to the filters, EG's, and various voices. The progression, which I just didn't like but couldn't come up with anything better at the time, is coming from a Turing Machine going into Arpitecht and Triad. There's also a Metropolis line in there being transposed via the Triad root output.

Everything is "Played" using the mute buttons on a Mackie 1202 VLZ4. I wanted to put together a little more structure, but as you can tell, I was seriously overpatched on this one to the point where it was too complicated to tweak very much in real time. Recorded on a Zoom recorder and just did some trimming on the computer.

After that one, I think I need to try my hand at some more minimalist stuff.
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

What everyone's current thoughts on the best-(and cheapest-but-reliable) euro power supply (for a total of 145hp worth of a TBD number and type of modules)? Tiptop, Doepfer, some DIY kit, or what?

And, who has the cheapest quality rails right now? I'm building a custom 3 row (9Ux105) case with space for 3 racked Mooger Foogers surrounded by some euro.

(US customer, but I don't mind international orders if it's worth it)
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You just have to try one ... It's so not like being tied the the computer, it's more like tweaking patches on a really well designed hardware synth. Virtually unlimited voices, VCAs, EGs, filters, etc ... plus it can process incoming audio and CV. For example, I've got a great Morphagene-like patch that I built on it. Probably the most powerful box in Euro at the moment. I wish I gotten mine sooner because about half my rack was made redundant when I got it.
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik View Post
That was excellent. \m/

I'd like to hear/see the whole set. Post that sh-t.
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
110-4
I went and read about this one and checked it out after reading your comments on it today and the description of that thing sounds really interesting. The variety and specificity of modules is crazy. If I had the funds I'd have a room full, maybe 10 Derps or more. Choosing is hard.
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
One more that was started on the former computer...
I really like your stuff. Nice, we are in the same part of town
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear
Getting my feet wet with Pittsburgh Modular products. I bought a SV-1 for evaluating, I was able to snag a Foundation 3 store demo for 910 bucks. So far I like what I hear, they definitely have a different flavor then the Moog stuff and a great compliment.
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks man. If someone pops up with a long decent quality video I will post it. It was live so its not going to be something I am recording and releasing. I do entirely different **** for live sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
That was excellent. \m/

I'd like to hear/see the whole set. Post that sh-t.
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
The end of my mostly modular (with octatrack) set last Friday. Cant find any of the gnarlier acid breaky bits anywhere yet but this was fairly pretty. Anyway, some modular used in a musical context in a live setting, not drowned in reverb.

very nice, the hand/finger flicks are not needed though
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by empirix View Post
very nice, the hand/finger flicks are not needed though
I believe those are all cirklon track changes and octa scene swipes hard to do it without some umph doihg 175bpm sets
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

The DHL notices are out: Motomouth filters have shipped. What a well run Kickstarter that turned out to be: tons of information (lots of behind the scenes details that nobody needed but was interesting nonetheless), milestones met including deadline...

...and tomorrow or the next day I will have what looks like a fairly interesting module to install.
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
I believe those are all cirklon track changes and octa scene swipes hard to do it without some umph doihg 175bpm sets

He flicked, must be human after all. Lovely sounds by the way. +1 would like to hear the whole set.
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
What everyone's current thoughts on the best-(and cheapest-but-reliable) euro power supply (for a total of 145hp worth of a TBD number and type of modules)? Tiptop, Doepfer, some DIY kit, or what?

And, who has the cheapest quality rails right now? I'm building a custom 3 row (9Ux105) case with space for 3 racked Mooger Foogers surrounded by some euro.

(US customer, but I don't mind international orders if it's worth it)
I realise you are in the US but maybe you can find a supplier in your country like Synthracks. I buy my stuff here and the rails are very good and cheapest option I have found here in the uk. I have a friend who bought from this online store and got for cheaper though.

https://www.reichelt.com/be/en/Subra...ht_sldr::50392

145hp might be pushing it with a standard PSU. I powered 110hp with my first row but once it got to about 140hp or thereabouts it failed. So I got the Tip Top booster which I would recommend and now power 2 rows of 126hp with it. You can check the rating on modular grid. You're better off buying a higher amp rating for future growth.

https://synthracks.com/tiptop-audio
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I realise you are in the US but maybe you can find a supplier in your country like Synthracks. I buy my stuff here and the rails are very good and cheapest option I have found here in the uk. I have a friend who bought from this online store and got for cheaper though.

https://www.reichelt.com/be/en/Subra...ht_sldr::50392

145hp might be pushing it with a standard PSU. I powered 110hp with my first row but once it got to about 140hp or thereabouts it failed. So I got the Tip Top booster which I would recommend and now power 2 rows of 126hp with it. You can check the rating on modular grid. You're better off buying a higher amp rating for future growth.

https://synthracks.com/tiptop-audio
Though it was mostly a analog rack, I had a single Zeus powering my 6u, a total of 168hp, with no problems. Just check your power draw on Modular Grid.
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by souljahh View Post
+1 would like to hear the whole set.
I might start recording my sets before taking them out but for the moment, you had to be there!

Going to start playing around the US a lot more over the summer and might do Asia next Spring..
Old 18th July 2017
Quote:
I might start recording my sets before taking them out but for the moment, you had to be there!

Going to start playing around the US a lot more over the summer and might do Asia next Spring..
Play PDX please.
Old 18th July 2017
Gear Guru

Turning my main large case into a monster drum machine.

The other two small base cases are set aside for..
one for full synth voices, Tonestar, Atlantis, Elements, the other is for processing only,.. with filters, delay effects, reverb/ZDSP, Streams/compression and Serge EQ..

finally I have my eye in on how I want my modular to interact with my keyboard synths..

Modulargrid screenshot of the main large drum machine..

The Mutant Clap & Mutant Snare are on their way to me now, basimilus alter is on pre/order and Plonk I have to wait for as it's out of stock..

so how it all works is MIDI clock comes from DAW is passed to System8 soft thru, MIDI input on Robokop drives that machine, trigger 12 from Robokop is the analog clock out master that is sent to clock distributor. Robokop does main kick and snare sequencing, Metropolis does other more random sequencing of percussion and hats/ratchets etc, this is all sync'd to Leipzig MIDI in for synth bass and leads etc...all seems to work nicely.
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

I have a chance to get a Euro case the size of a Doepfer Monster case (about 12U and 160HP/row). I currently have a Doepfer A-100LC9, Tiptop Mantis (on it's way) and a couple Tiptop HEKs. What do you guys think are the pros and cons of going with a gigantic case over the setup where I have which is an equivalent of a foldable case in the sense that modules are probably closer together. I'm wondering if this gigantic case will make the modules too far apart, needing longer cables and harder to patch. What do you guys think?
Old 18th July 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
I have a chance to get a Euro case the size of a Doepfer Monster case (about 12U and 160HP/row). I currently have a Doepfer A-100LC9, Tiptop Mantis (on it's way) and a couple Tiptop HEKs. What do you guys think are the pros and cons of going with a gigantic case over the setup where I have which is an equivalent of a foldable case in the sense that modules are probably closer together. I'm wondering if this gigantic case will make the modules too far apart, needing longer cables and harder to patch. What do you guys think?
I would always recommend to people buy the biggest best case you can lay your hands on when starting this, you'll never regret it. All those people who start of with little one rows and HEK's etc nearly always get bigger and wished they had a bigger case, get the biggest best case and then enjoy the journey of filling it up and making music.. if you aren't gigging of course.
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

Motomouth left UK yesterday and arrives here today. When I said it was a well run Kickstarter I might have even understated that a bit. It seems like the Wogglebug gate burst (which has proven to be of limited use to me as it's not synchronized with the clock whatsoever) is going to be hella useful with the SNAP gates. It also makes me want to push the A-196 and wavetable oscillator (I'm leaning towards Piston Honda) up the purchase list.

Meanwhile in the less funded present...
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search